Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

obi_ant posted:

What is the consensus on on Boos Blocks? I'm looking at this. Does the wood make any difference? Cause I'm thinking one with a juice groove would be great. I was resting a steak today and juices dripped onto the floor when I was letting it rest.

Walnut is pretty and all but maple makes a better cutting board. It is harder than walnut, and is a close grained wood. Walnut has an open grain that theoretically little germs can live in-notice the maple one is NSF certified where the walnut one is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So for my quarantine birthday I got upgraded from my handheld torch to a full BenzoMatic torch and the difference is freaking awesome! I do have a question for everyone though, what is the difference between MAPP gas and propane? I understand that MAPP is more recommended for food but I don't understand why? I mean I could use propane for my grill so that would seem to be the logical gas to use? Regardless propane was all they had at Home Depot other than pure oxygen. MAPP has was sold out. If that's from COVID-19 hoarding I don't even understand.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 10, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
MAPP (more accurately MAP-Pro these days because they don't make real MAPP anymore) burns a little hotter, so can sear a little better. Any gas torch can also leave aftertastes, though, especially if you don't have the torch adjusted properly to burn right. Propane's just a little worse about it.

Make sure your flame's dark blue around the outer edges and making a little roaring noise. Orange/yellow/red flames are incompletely burning and will deposit unburnt hydrocarbons that leave aftertastes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Fantastic, thanks! All my googling told me was that MAP burned hotter. Thanks for the advice on the flame, I'm stoked about this for my easter reverse seared prime rib. My handheld one was fine for creme brulee but lol it was poo poo for searing meats.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you are googling your way through it you'll see that the peak temp of mapp+ is not a lot higher than propane but functionally it runs way hotter. i use mine for lighting my lump charcoal and occasionally, creme brulees

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Fantastic, thanks! All my googling told me was that MAP burned hotter. Thanks for the advice on the flame, I'm stoked about this for my easter reverse seared prime rib. My handheld one was fine for creme brulee but lol it was poo poo for searing meats.

Naw son do the prime rib in the lowest your oven will go until its 120 in the center (i think thats the temp i used). Pull it out, foil it while your oven heats to the hottest it will go. Put it back in for five minutes. The crust will blow away anything you can get with a torch and you'll have edge to edge doneness like you cooked it sous vide.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Naw son do the prime rib in the lowest your oven will go until its 120 in the center (i think thats the temp i used). Pull it out, foil it while your oven heats to the hottest it will go. Put it back in for five minutes. The crust will blow away anything you can get with a torch and you'll have edge to edge doneness like you cooked it sous vide.

That's exactly the method I've done for a few years now ever since I read the serious eats article on it. drat now I'm bummed I won't get a better crust than that.

Also I just made elotes and used the torch to get the charred bits like if I bothered to start up my grill. I don't wanna start up my grill (it's charcoal) for two ears of corn. It worked great!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

That's exactly the method I've done for a few years now ever since I read the serious eats article on it. drat now I'm bummed I won't get a better crust than that.

Also I just made elotes and used the torch to get the charred bits like if I bothered to start up my grill. I don't wanna start up my grill (it's charcoal) for two ears of corn. It worked great!

I absolutely recommend having a mapp torch in the kitchen. But I still have never got a sear like I can in a hot pan or a crust from a blazing oven with it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

El Jebus posted:

What's the go-to mandolins that's less than $100? OXO? Swissmar? I like the look of the white Swissmar on Amazon, I feel blood will show up really well on the white plastic..., But the OXO looks more quality with more metal.

OXO is the Serious Eats recommendation IIRC.

I use a plastic one but I want to find one that's stainless steel and without a catch compartment if anyone has recommendations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Walnut is pretty and all but maple makes a better cutting board. It is harder than walnut, and is a close grained wood. Walnut has an open grain that theoretically little germs can live in-notice the maple one is NSF certified where the walnut one is not.

What does the NSF certification process require? I’m not quite curious enough to pay $100 for NSF 2-2019, but I notice that not all hard maple cutting boards are NSF-certified, so I’m wondering what the difference is between them. Are non-maple boards not certified because they can’t pass a specific test?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Subjunctive posted:

What does the NSF certification process require? I’m not quite curious enough to pay $100 for NSF 2-2019, but I notice that not all hard maple cutting boards are NSF-certified, so I’m wondering what the difference is between them. Are non-maple boards not certified because they can’t pass a specific test?
Not necessarily. If a particular board isn't certified that doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't be certified if the manufacturer paid to go through the certification process. But it does mean that they haven't done so.

As a practical matter the NSF certification specifically for a wood cutting board for home use is probably mostly for bragging rights, simply because there's no guarantee that your individual board would still be in compliance after use, and most people are relatively unlikely to conduct the entire proscribed cleaning process after every use.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

xtal posted:

OXO is the Serious Eats recommendation IIRC.

I use a plastic one but I want to find one that's stainless steel and without a catch compartment if anyone has recommendations.

I have a deBuyer La Mandoline that works well, is adjustable, and has a bunch of blades. It's the only expensive mandoline I've used so I can't say if it's better than similar brands. It's big so lives in the backroom with all the extra stuff so 99% of the time I use a cheap plastic mandoline because it's right there. Would I recommend the deBuyer, yes if you want a big stainless mandoline that makes perfect everything but it's probably too much for most home cooks. Mine is an older model of this:
https://www.debuyer.com/en/products/la-mandoline-revolution

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I absolutely recommend having a mapp torch in the kitchen. But I still have never got a sear like I can in a hot pan or a crust from a blazing oven with it.

A torch and the pro-style lift bowl Kitchenaid are my dream team when it comes to making frostings.

Especially cream cheese. So much easier when you can start straight from the fridge and soften it in the bowl while beating.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wait... do you just torch the outside? I’ve... never thought to do that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yep!

It's great. Lets you make buttercream in advance too, you can just bung it in the fridge and whip and torch to reheat and fluff before piping later.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And just to be clear I don’t think that technique is advisable if you have a glass bowl kitchen aid.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It beats the hell out of trying to warm up egg whites/sugar or cooking a sugar syrup for buttercreams too.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

And just to be clear I don’t think that technique is especially advisable if you have a glass bowl kitchenaid.

Someone do a trip report!

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Someone do a trip report!

If the glass is borosilicate like the old Visions cookware or old Pyrex stuff it would probably be fine, but I don't think it's that kind of glass.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, when measuring frying pan sizes, do you do it from the top or the bottom?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

iospace posted:

Question, when measuring frying pan sizes, do you do it from the top or the bottom?

Probably different by brand.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

iospace posted:

Top.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Always top

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Same as cocks.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

iospace posted:

The advertised diameter is pretty much always going to be the widest point, which is the top.

The diameter of the the actual cooking surface will vary from brand to brand and style to style.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, now that that's out of the way, I'm looking for a new 8" pan. Primary use will be for eggs so nonstick required, and a handle that won't heat up is preferred. Sadly no cast iron. Any recs? Looking for one that will last a bit.

iospace fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 11, 2020

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I've got a Tramontina Professional 8" for eggs that I like a lot.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
We got the Farber ware 10 inch serious eats listed here and I probably won't switch brands ever after this one finally dies: https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/why-cheap-nonstick-skillets-are-best.html

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Shroomie posted:

I've got a Tramontina Professional 8" for eggs that I like a lot.

I prefer their other line as it’s rivetless. It’s what I have.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VUYT4

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

.Z. posted:

I prefer their other line as it’s rivetless. It’s what I have.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VUYT4

I was unaware those existed. I'll probably grab a 12" to replace the T-Fal that I don't like.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't know if I'd trust one without the rivets. What's holding it together, two tiny tig welds?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Croatoan posted:

I don't know if I'd trust one without the rivets. What's holding it together, two tiny tig welds?

Looks like it's got exterior rivets instead of ones that show on the inside of the pan

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I bought three Boos Blocks in a fit. They look so good.

I would not buy again. They’ve all had really bad cracking issues and just suck up mineral oil.

Cooks Illustrated dinged them for cracking issues as well. Something to do with how they treat their wood I guess.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm getting really into tiki cocktails during this shut in time. My citrus press isn't getting enough extraction, though. What's the recommended manual juicer? Just looking for something small and cheap that gets the job done.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Murgos posted:

I bought three Boos Blocks in a fit. They look so good.

I would not buy again. They’ve all had really bad cracking issues and just suck up mineral oil.

Cooks Illustrated dinged them for cracking issues as well. Something to do with how they treat their wood I guess.

I have a boos block and live in the desert and I've never done poo poo for it or had anything resembling a crack. Mine's also a foot thick though I guess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve had every nice expensive wood board crack here in arid Los Angeles so now just buy cheap wood or bamboo ones, buy more of them and get used to the idea of replacing them if they crack.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

couldcareless posted:

I'm getting really into tiki cocktails during this shut in time. My citrus press isn't getting enough extraction, though. What's the recommended manual juicer? Just looking for something small and cheap that gets the job done.

I like reamers for the simplicity and ease of use (and ease of cleanup)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I’ve owned every kind of juicer. This is the best kind. You don’t get the most extraction, but it definitely tastes the best because it’s not scraping bitter pith into your juice and also extracts the oils in the peel which will make your juice more fragrant

You can find some for $40

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve had every nice expensive wood board crack here in arid Los Angeles so now just buy cheap wood or bamboo ones, buy more of them and get used to the idea of replacing them if they crack.

I filled the cracks with food grade wood glue and sanded the smooth.

Too expensive to toss. On one board literally every single board had pulled away its neighbors at both ends. How does that happen? I have to assume that the boards just weren’t appropriately cured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve owned every kind of juicer. This is the best kind. You don’t get the most extraction, but it definitely tastes the best because it’s not scraping bitter pith into your juice and also extracts the oils in the peel which will make your juice more fragrant

You can find some for $40

what is that type called