Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm back to play and hang around with nice people, can I get an invite to Chill Bros again? @VoodooYardie

Also I dunno when I got it, apparently for participating in some stream or something I'm pretty sure I did not, but either way I came back to having a cute rear end spicy bantam guar pet too! :buddy:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Invites up to this point are caught up.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Degs posted:

Is magsorc healer bad? I'm trying to think of things to do with my magsorc now that I know I don't particularly like magsorc dps.

Magsorc healer is really good in some trials (e.g. vAS, vCR), but in other places it's quite potato compared to templar/warden.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I've been eyeballing this for years but never taken the plunge. Is it worth playing for story? I see there's some year long arcs that have gone on and not sure if it's the Guild Wars season 1 style of "miss it once it's gone" or if all the story stuff is persistent once added.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Fifteen of Many posted:

I've been eyeballing this for years but never taken the plunge. Is it worth playing for story? I see there's some year long arcs that have gone on and not sure if it's the Guild Wars season 1 style of "miss it once it's gone" or if all the story stuff is persistent once added.

story wise there's nothing like that, what we were complaining about earlier were tutorials, which do add some changes in dialogue hooks but nothing on that level

we can tell you kind of a 'canonical run' sequence but all the content is still there unlike GW

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Fifteen of Many posted:

It’s all persistent. You won’t miss anything. If you like Elder Scrolls then you’ll like the story. There are a ton of side quests that really flesh out the world too. There is a free play thing going on until the 13th so no reason not to try it to see if you’ll like the game.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
An outfit that truly demands respect.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This game, had no idea I could use CP from my main on baby alts to make them overpowered, spent my whole time as a newbie thinking I sucked as some swine ran in front of me lightning bolting everything to death in seconds.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

learnincurve posted:

This game, had no idea I could use CP from my main on baby alts to make them overpowered, spent my whole time as a newbie thinking I sucked as some swine ran in front of me lightning bolting everything to death in seconds.

I know this, and yet still constantly forget to do it when I play alts.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Been playing a few nights with a friend. Is it me or is the xp just totally out of whack for doing certain things vs others?

Main story quests seems to give us over 3k xp per quest. Zone story quests seem to give about 1.5k per quest. But side quests only give 200ish xp. That's maybe two mobs worth of xp? Outside of doing them for the bits of lore and side story, side quests seem completely not worth wasting your time on if you want to actually level. Also, the daily pvp/dungeon give 22k which is so much more than anything else. I don't understand why they did it this way at all.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Berke Negri posted:

story wise there's nothing like that, what we were complaining about earlier were tutorials, which do add some changes in dialogue hooks but nothing on that level

we can tell you kind of a 'canonical run' sequence but all the content is still there unlike GW

More specifically, there's three tutorial game areas (plus the base game one everyone has access too) and you only have access to the one from the latest major expansion you have (elsweyr, morrowind, summerset). They're actually pretty funny to play through a few times.

You can get multiple game accounts on sale and/or make extra characters before buying another expansion to get access to the other ones. That's very much a niche thing to do though. (I did it)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can go to the vanilla starting areas once you talk to the governor of Selda Neyeen whatever it’s called

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

euphronius posted:

You can go to the vanilla starting areas once you talk to the governor of Selda Neyeen whatever it’s called

Yeah but once you get Elsweyr and/or Summerset you can't start in Firemoth again. It's only the base game one that's available to everyone (as I said above).

Even if you get it before Morrowind, then you never see the Morrowind one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sorry I misunderstood

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yeah it's annoying, since I think the best canonical start is the old MQ tutorial (this you can still do, when you visit the mainland however)

Morrowind did have a good tutorial though walking you through everything and setting you up with starter gear imo, elseyr was alright, summerset was kind of poo poo

Frustrated posted:

Been playing a few nights with a friend. Is it me or is the xp just totally out of whack for doing certain things vs others?

Main story quests seems to give us over 3k xp per quest. Zone story quests seem to give about 1.5k per quest. But side quests only give 200ish xp. That's maybe two mobs worth of xp? Outside of doing them for the bits of lore and side story, side quests seem completely not worth wasting your time on if you want to actually level. Also, the daily pvp/dungeon give 22k which is so much more than anything else. I don't understand why they did it this way at all.

The game (long ago) used to be incredibly miserly with xp, that's not the case for like four or more years though it's still kind of reflective that way in quest xp. The most efficient way of leveling is still just grinding a mob heavy area nonstop or doing daily dungeons, but the quest xp scales up with your level. Main story quests also award skill points by the way

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Fifteen of Many posted:

Some of the early content is really bad and it shows, but the later stuff starting with Orsinium really picks up, Morrowind/Clockwork City arcs being the peak.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i think a lot of the early stuff still holds up alright, though its real strong point is in each factions recurring characters (which also show up through all the DLCs) but yeaaaa, especially with the later post-launch content you can see they were really stretching thin content at launch to come up with enough quests to fill five zones for each faction. now they just focus on one full zone and a smallish one a year and the writing has improved for it

i think nowadays id recommend people to do only their factions vanilla stuff to start with, and only if they want kind of a canonical run. basically meet the companions, get to know your faction, do coldharbour, then go hog on the newer stuff

of course you could also just join the thieves guild say screw saving the world and go around robbing people all day which actually can be pretty profitable

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Can I get a guild invite for @jabro please?

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
I actually liked the early stuff too lol

Later on I started skipping a lot of the conversational content because gently caress me I'm not going to sit there reading a long-rear end essay for 15mins just to have me run somewhere and collect mushrooms. Tbf the same thing happens in earlier zones, but atleast the side-stories/conversations are much shorter and to the point.

Scyantific posted:

Some of the early content is really bad and it shows, but the later stuff starting with Orsinium really picks up, Morrowind/Clockwork City arcs being the peak.

I hated Morrowind - like with a passion. The zone is a piece of crap, peak dev laziness - big map ye, but plant a massive untraversable volcano in the middle of it and fill the zone with endless run to this corner and do this type quests, I got so annoyed.

JadaX fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 12, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Berke Negri posted:

i think nowadays id recommend people to do only their factions vanilla stuff to start with, and only if they want kind of a canonical run. basically meet the companions, get to know your faction, do coldharbour, then go hog on the newer stuff

This works nicely. I started an alt, skipped the tutorial, did a bunch of dailies and stuff, ran around opening up the world and did a bunch of dolmens.

I had originally started vanilla ESO a long time ago and came back, so I had assumed by skipping the tutorial you were skipping coldharbor. Then I got some quest about a mysterious benefactor and was curious so I started it and got ambushed and dragged to cold harbor and got my soul ripped out. It was neat to think that Molag Bal got so annoyed with my messing with his plans, that he sent his minions after me.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is there a suggested region/story route for ebonheart characters to follow?

So far I've done the starter area, done stonefalls and have just started deshaan.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Carcer posted:

So far I've done the starter area, done stonefalls and have just started deshaan.

Just do the quests denoted by the big special markers on the compass, Stonefalls -> Deshaan -> Shadowfen -> Eastmarch -> The Rift -> Coldharbour -> Cadwell's Silver/Gold and/or Orsinium -> Thieves/DB stuff -> Morrowind -> Clockwork City -> Summerset -> Murkmire -> Elsweyr -> Southern Elsweyr

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just levelled my first main via all the the cat based quests the game made me do and hated them. Second character is delve based levelling, (because what you have to work out for yourself is that there is a sky shard in each delve) and it’s going a hell of a lot quicker.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Because I knew poo poo about the canonical order of things when I started, I went Main Quest up until Coldharbour -> Morrowind -> Coldharbour -> Alliance zones -> currently on Clockwork City. :v:

Not a fan of the aesthetics but the quest writing in CC is so much better than vanilla. Does the Summerset and Elsweyr content have the same quality?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
How fond are you of phases of the moon based puzzles?

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Eck...look at all you zerglings starting in the Pact (or god forbid Dominion) zone instead of the Covenant as the divines intended.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Argonians 4 lyfe.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I'd like a guild invite, @potaties please!

I just hit level 50 (StamDK) and I only finished Stormhaven. I feel like there's so many quests just for the Daggerfall Covenant alone. Though I did peek my head into Thieve's Guild/Dark Brotherhood stuff for some skills. Now I'm taking a bit of a break before Rivenspire and just seeing how much murder I can do for the DB so I can get that horseriding passive.

This whole way through I've had no clue what I've been doing with regards to combat. I've leveled up dual wield and 2H to 40+, but I never know like. Should I be spamming Venomous Claw between light attacks, or Rending Slashes/Carve? Keeping buffs up and stuff like Endless Hail makes sense but when it comes to "basic rear end attacking an enemy" I haven't figured out what's most effective yet, and no build guides really cover what to do, just a list of "take these skills, good luck".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Reading through the thread it’s sad to see Scyantifics disengagement happen when pvp got clutserfucked

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I have a soft spot for Coldharbour because I love building up the Hollow City and seeing the NPCs I interacted with slowly start to fill up the city. I know it's not that deep a mechanic but I dig it anyway.

I've been away for a few months--when did Alcasthq add solo builds?! They're great!

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Is that what Coldharbor’s deal is? I haven’t finished the MQ on any of my chars, in spite of playing the game for a billion hours. It seems like a cool zone to explore what with the “total hellscape” vibes.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Coldharbor is weird cause I still don't really understand why the Companions don't show up there at all and instead it's just Vanus and assorted goofballs who have to lead the assault against Molag Bal.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
My memory's fuzzy, but you finish the main quest before Coldharbor, right? They probably didn't want to do a bunch of alternate versions of scenes to account for the Choice you make at the end of the main quest.

Semi-related: since they brought Sai Sahan back in the DLC, how do they handle that if you chose to sacrifice him at the end of the main quest? Just a handwave-y line of dialogue or two?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Probably a bit late news for many here but they scrapped the weaving / attack changes, at least for Greymoor.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Just picked this back up and would love to play with other nerds, especially for those loving areas where I just get smashed when I go alone.

I'm on Xbox as DaLemur, usually on during the weekday, EST

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Rollersnake posted:

Semi-related: since they brought Sai Sahan back in the DLC, how do they handle that if you chose to sacrifice him at the end of the main quest? Just a handwave-y line of dialogue or two?

i don't actually know how they handwave sai being back but i know lyris says something like being in sovngarde and chilling and then shor calls her up for one last mission on earth so im sure its something like that

i believe gina said something like only single digits % of the playerbase sacrificed anyone but varen though lol

Carcer posted:

the most straight forward canonical run is just doing the order of release scy posted above

but if you broke all the stuff in to arcs itd basically be

Main Quest: stonefalls>deshaan>shadowfen>eastmarch>rift>coldharbour

Daedric War: Morrowind>Clockwork City>Summerset

Dragons: Wrathstone*>Elsweyr>Scalebreaker*>Southern Elseweyr

*these are dungeon dlcs ymmv actually doing them, they only kind of tangentially tie in with the plot

Standalone: Orsinium, Murkmire, Hew's Bane, Gold Coast, Craglorn, Imperial City

orsinium has a whopping one line of dialogue at the end foreshadowing daedric war arc but is otherwise completely stand alone story

my advice would be get the main quest out of the way first and then all the other arcs/standalone stuff you can do in whatever order, for instance theres nothing in the Dragons arc that ties in with the Daedric War arc, so you could do either first after the MQ

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 13, 2020

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Invites are caught up to this point, for both the main guild and the decon guild.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Carcer posted:

Argonians 4 lyfe.

I made one of every class, all Argonians. Having the most fun on my scumbag Nightblade, Swaggers-With-Daggers. I played through the Murkmire story, where else should I go to get my Argonian lore on? I'm doing the Telvanni quest line in Vvardenfell now and I don't feel bad about stabbing these mages and stealing their stuff.

Also, that one quest in Shadowfen regarding the hatching pool was hosed up

Carcer posted:

Someone just made a big rear end reddit post about how to play the content in order. Personally I'm just bouncing around based on what I think is interesting.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 13, 2020

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Going to download and login with the following specs:

i7-3537u
intel hd 4000
8gb ram

Wish me luck xD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Hi I'd like to join the cool kid's chat guild for chatting. My @ in game is theproestdwarf