Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Hey bandits

Want to work for me for some money?

Oh sorry, no I don't have 275 rougery yet

How about turning you into a knight? Whats that? Like 75 skill or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

I confess I'm unclear on the difference. Presumably it shouldn't be happening either way, right? It certainly seems to be having untoward effects.

:goonsay: When a program asks the OS for memory, it gets a bunch of virtual memory that can essentially be larger than the total amount of memory in the system. Only when the memory is actually touched will a memory page be pulled into actual physical memory (paged-in). This is in part working memory from the .NET M&B Bannerlord is running on, and a bunch of files mapped to memory. For the latter, the OS will constantly pull memory pages in and out of memory depending on the accesses into the file. The cache is simply keeping pages around longer or pre-fetching pages to make better use of the leftover physical memory. :goonsay:

I'm wondering if the 'leaks' they mention in the changelogs are actual leaks as in C/C++, or leaks in JVM/CLI where it's object references being kept around needlessly so they can't be garbage collected. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a .NET layer for the scripting and game logic, and a C++ layer for the engine.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

Hey bandits

Want to work for me for some money?

Oh sorry, no I don't have 275 rougery yet

How about turning you into a knight? Whats that? Like 75 skill or something

Ha, I do have to say it's weird that bandits often turn into the 'noble' troop line.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Genghis Cohen posted:

Ha, I do have to say it's weird that bandits often turn into the 'noble' troop line.

very accurate to real life

The desert bandits are great since they become archers, mamuluke cav, or the noble cav.

I just want that roguery option dropped down to like 50 or 100.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I'm thinking about starting a new character, I'm a vassal of the vladians still and i've got an army of >300, roll around and just really mess stuff up (i like running through enemy territory and having 30 lords with tiny parties chase and then run away constantly) but I'm feeling a little bit bored with it, my troops generally being upgraded fairly high means I can take down an army of >500 single handedly with only a few losses at any given time.

Truthfully I played M&B singleplayer way more with the floris modpack, and I'm getting concerned it'll take a large-scale overhaul like that to really maintain my interest at least in it's present state. That being said I've got like >60 hours out of it so far which is pretty fukken good value for TYOOL 2020, plenty of games that I bought recently and beat in <20 (i'm looking at you, star wars dark souls game)

The thing I did the most in warband was go on multiplayer and play duels on native, I got pretty fuckin good at it too and it makes me really sad they haven't added in a duel mode yet (but it is apparently definitely in the works, just with no firm timeline for release.)
The way they do classes in MP concerns me a bit since the best way to go about dueling is to go as an armor-less infantry and have a generally 2h primary weapon so without implementing a warband-like equipment selection or having a special dueling class it'll feel sorta incomplete.
Part of what I liked about warband's duels was that a fight could be ended in 1-2 swings or it could drag on for minutes depending on how good you and your opponent are at parrying, chambering, feinting, etc. That necessity is negated to a degree when you're two dorks in heavy armor clinking away at each other for a few minutes at a time. Probably no secret in this thread but the combat in M&B (and by extension bannerlord) is actually really loving slick beyond glaiving people from horseback, it has a really high skill cap and a surprising amount of nuance that just ain't being taken advantage of in bannerlord yet - it would give me a sorely needed replacement for mordhau which, while mechanically fun its US community is nauseatingly awful and repulsed me from playing it - which has left me without a ye olde sword duels game. Sadly it seems like duel servers with people are an extremely rare occurrence on warband now :(

Any advice on keeping myself entertained with this early access title I've been hotly anticipating since like 2012? I'm thinking a new game and the challenges associated with starting my own kingdom instead of supporting a pre-existing one might do the trick but I'm open to any mods/fucky gameplay ideas because even if I'm getting burned out on this character I really love this game, a lot. I also haven't tried any of the MP gamemodes beyond TDM, but siege and commander don't sound like they'll really scratch my itch for fast-paced combat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
:siren: COMPLAINT WARNING :siren:

Yeah, skill reqs for stuff seem insane. I will never see a skill above 200 in the span of a campaign based on growth speed. poo poo, getting riding to 90 is hard enough even with playing cav the entire game. I really hope they do something different with the system, because it just doesn't feel good.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

i found a solution to my bandit army

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

:siren: COMPLAINT WARNING :siren:

Yeah, skill reqs for stuff seem insane. I will never see a skill above 200 in the span of a campaign based on growth speed. poo poo, getting riding to 90 is hard enough even with playing cav the entire game. I really hope they do something different with the system, because it just doesn't feel good.

I have one of the mods that lets you put a global experience modifier and even x20 will stall out later on.

It is literally insane.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

I have one of the mods that lets you put a global experience modifier and even x20 will stall out later on.

It is literally insane.

Which one? The tweaks mod keeps crashing for me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

At extremely low skill levels you still get classic style skill gains where you get 3 levels for couched-lancing a looter in the face for 500 damage. Once you hit like 50 skill it completely craters though. Having perks that require like 250 skill seems insane.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

OGS-Remix posted:

Fake Edit: Also, did they fix the mercenary contract length/leaving bugs?

Yeah, you can now leave without any penalties

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Nosre posted:

Apparently you can go through the encyclopedia, sort for all the villages in a given culture, and then the ones with Powerful landlords will have noble recruits.

Can you effect landlords power? Like does succeeding in their quests boost them?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Telltolin posted:

I'm thinking about starting a new character, I'm a vassal of the vladians still and i've got an army of >300, roll around and just really mess stuff up (i like running through enemy territory and having 30 lords with tiny parties chase and then run away constantly) but I'm feeling a little bit bored with it, my troops generally being upgraded fairly high means I can take down an army of >500 single handedly with only a few losses at any given time.

Truthfully I played M&B singleplayer way more with the floris modpack, and I'm getting concerned it'll take a large-scale overhaul like that to really maintain my interest at least in it's present state. That being said I've got like >60 hours out of it so far which is pretty fukken good value for TYOOL 2020, plenty of games that I bought recently and beat in <20 (i'm looking at you, star wars dark souls game)

The thing I did the most in warband was go on multiplayer and play duels on native, I got pretty fuckin good at it too and it makes me really sad they haven't added in a duel mode yet (but it is apparently definitely in the works, just with no firm timeline for release.)
The way they do classes in MP concerns me a bit since the best way to go about dueling is to go as an armor-less infantry and have a generally 2h primary weapon so without implementing a warband-like equipment selection or having a special dueling class it'll feel sorta incomplete.
Part of what I liked about warband's duels was that a fight could be ended in 1-2 swings or it could drag on for minutes depending on how good you and your opponent are at parrying, chambering, feinting, etc. That necessity is negated to a degree when you're two dorks in heavy armor clinking away at each other for a few minutes at a time. Probably no secret in this thread but the combat in M&B (and by extension bannerlord) is actually really loving slick beyond glaiving people from horseback, it has a really high skill cap and a surprising amount of nuance that just ain't being taken advantage of in bannerlord yet - it would give me a sorely needed replacement for mordhau which, while mechanically fun its US community is nauseatingly awful and repulsed me from playing it - which has left me without a ye olde sword duels game. Sadly it seems like duel servers with people are an extremely rare occurrence on warband now :(

Any advice on keeping myself entertained with this early access title I've been hotly anticipating since like 2012? I'm thinking a new game and the challenges associated with starting my own kingdom instead of supporting a pre-existing one might do the trick but I'm open to any mods/fucky gameplay ideas because even if I'm getting burned out on this character I really love this game, a lot. I also haven't tried any of the MP gamemodes beyond TDM, but siege and commander don't sound like they'll really scratch my itch for fast-paced combat.

Lmao my dude you got sixty hours out of the early access. I remember playing M&B version .451 and just putting the game down after a few decent sessions then coming back to version .600 and getting blown away by the additional mods and native content.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

OGS-Remix posted:

I finally got a longer game going and I picked up one of those Executioner Axes. :stare:

This weapon is a monster on horseback, I'm cleaving lower tier infantry like they were butter. I kind of want to try the dismemberment mod because it's going to be very messy. :black101:

Fake Edit: Also, did they fix the mercenary contract length/leaving bugs?

If you're sticking to horseback, throw that piece of poo poo away and get a rhomphalia.

And yes, 2-3 patches back.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I'm a big fan of the oversized menavlion

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is a new e1.1.0 patch available as an opt-in beta branch.

Its pretty sizeable. So I'm not quoting.

But they're fixing the dumb expressions, not sure if I'm happy about that. :v: Oh and no more boosted XP for simulated battles instead of fighting them.

HOWEVER:

quote:

Level 1 characters now start with 120 skill points.
Reduced XP required to learn higher skill levels.
Troops can now upgrade more easily.
Reduced wanderers' skills outside their main area of expertise, making them easier to level up.
Made wanderer age correlate roughly with their skills.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 11, 2020

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wow the long glaive is cheaper than i though consider the hype for it itt, ill try it out for a bit i guess

*3 battles later*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBVPSsFCUc

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I'm curious how the troop upgrade boost will pan out. I have a lot of low-tier troops in my garrison and they just don't seem to be upgrading like I thought they would, even with a level three training field. Do I need a governor in place for them to train?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

hell yeah they fixed the asiatic lion banner

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Dang, looks like it is time for a restart. Those are some meaty changes.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

quote:

Overhauled all of the NPC faces to reduce asymmetry, tone down exaggerations and create culturally appropriate and appealing phenotypes.

BOO! >:[

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm curious how the troop upgrade boost will pan out. I have a lot of low-tier troops in my garrison and they just don't seem to be upgrading like I thought they would, even with a level three training field. Do I need a governor in place for them to train?

Garrison upgrades are essentially busted. Even a low level upgrade takes 700 xp, and they gain 3xp twice a day on the highest level training field. I'm also pretty sure they only gain xp per troop-type, not per actual soldier, so if you have 100 recruits its still only one upgraded soldier every half a year or so.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Do I have a stupid mod on --- Azerai recruits T1 seem to have simple javelins and that's it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Genghis Cohen posted:

Are you familiar with the documentary "The Pirates of Penzance"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Hey they’re adding an option to disable controller vibration I never thought I’d see the day

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

quote:

Reviewed about a third of the quest issues, improving dialogues and persuasion:
Major changes in particular to “Family Feud” and “Spy Party”

Hopefully good, those were both obnoxious/frequently broken

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

give the family feud questline an option to just kill both families and have their land redistributed to my hand picked lackeys people with cooler heads

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Rhomphalia has correctly gone from a few grand to 166k or so. Buy one before you update!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

also square formations is good as hell against cavalry. they get bogged down in it a lot easier than circle for some reason.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I did a couple quick custom battles to test and 1000 man battles are much better for me performancewise.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The new xp system overhaul seem pretty extensive, I loaded up my save from yesterday and a was immediately granted a bunch of skill levels

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Agean90 posted:

also square formations is good as hell against cavalry. they get bogged down in it a lot easier than circle for some reason.

Circle is too shallow for cavalry. Circle is good if you're getting overwhelmed by infantry

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Look at this veteran glaring at my pathetic, malnourished build.

e1.1.0 Beta Branch: Suddenly everyone in Calradia is a chunky beefcake lathered in fat and muscle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anthony Fantano is echoing in my brain.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bows seem much more reasonably priced now. A Steppe War Bow used to cost six figures, now its 18k.

My Executioner's axe is now massively priced though! a Regular one is 14k and the Heavy Execution's axe is 59k. Yikes. RIP getting my favorite weapon in a reasonable timeframe. Seems like high tier two-handers are much more expensive overall.

[edit] Holy poo poo a falx is 168k....

[edit] Oh gently caress, they spiked the prices on throwing weapons too. Harpoons used to cost 350, now they're 37k lol. :cripes: I'd hate to see the prices of Jareeds now.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 11, 2020

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Look at this veteran glaring at my pathetic, malnourished build.

e1.1.0 Beta Branch: Suddenly everyone in Calradia is a chunky beefcake lathered in fat and muscle.

lol you weren't kidding

(from reddit)

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Get beefy calradia

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Speaking of absurd skill requirements: I put the xp tweak mod to 50x and I've found that most of the 125+ skills for every skill I've raised so far just... does not work. So I'm thinking maybe the skill leveling is intentionally tweaked down to hide the unimplemented ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bows seem much more reasonably priced now. A Steppe War Bow used to cost six figures, now its 18k.

My Executioner's axe is now massively priced though! a Regular one is 14k and the Heavy Execution's axe is 59k. Yikes. RIP getting my favorite weapon in a reasonable timeframe. Seems like high tier two-handers are much more expensive overall.

[edit] Holy poo poo a falx is 168k....

[edit] Oh gently caress, they spiked the prices on throwing weapons too. Harpoons used to cost 350, now they're 37k lol. :cripes: I'd hate to see the prices of Jareeds now.

Love too throw 8000 denars at peasants to kill them :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So now they've basically guaranteed that a factions gonna control like half the map before you can afford to kit yourself out? Sweet.