Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Koorisch posted:

Is there a way to force the US Civil war to fire really early?

It's the way to get a really powerful early American empire, right?

The Civil War really barely matters, just make sure to raise Yankee soldiers and station them around the borders of where the Confederates will pop up and you should win it in a year.
And about immigration, you get enough migrants just from being in the New World as The Cheshire Cat said, but as America you also get a few decisions that increase your migrant attraction so you shouldn't worry about it too much. Try looking at the migration mapmode during a big European war and you'll see how many you attract. One slightly hidden thing is that you can get the Statue of Liberty from France if they like you enough and have some steel and coal techs, so you should try to stay at 200 relations with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Doesn't the USA tag in V2 also have a hardcoded immigration pull factor as well? So regardless of what happens, whatever country has the USA tag will hoover up far and away more immigrants than anyone else in the Americas?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drone posted:

Doesn't the USA tag in V2 also have a hardcoded immigration pull factor as well? So regardless of what happens, whatever country has the USA tag will hoover up far and away more immigrants than anyone else in the Americas?

Yes. The problem the US has is that it's RGOs are so huge that there's never going to be a pool of unemployed pops centred in a state for a factory to soak up.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drone posted:

I don't think it's hardcoded, it's just the Homestead Act and being a democracy.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
One weird thing about viccy 2 is those 1% research bonuses. I've seen that several nations gets special decisions that grant just that, and... well, that's not having a noticeable effect.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Victoria 2 has a lot of fiddly bonuses that don't have any noticeable effect.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Cease to Hope posted:

Victoria 2 has a lot of fiddly bonuses that don't have any noticeable effect.

To be fair, most of the system is completely inscrutable. But research is pretty straight forward.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nosfereefer posted:

To be fair, most of the system is completely inscrutable. But research is pretty straight forward.

Inventions not so much though.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Inventions not so much though.

What’s confusing about them?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
A 1% chance is tremendous because it's 1% chance per... actually I don't even know offhand. It's difficult to calculate the value of prestige inventions before undertaking them. Rather than phrasing things like "You cannot invent this until you've researched X," that is phrased as a blocker penalty, usually also with a small number.

There's a lot of things that go into making them counterintuitive.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
It feels like a 1% chance per day, but it also feels like it has a limit per month. As sometimes you'll get a few in a month, then nothing till the next one ticks over.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I eventually figured out what 1% meant in this context well enough to play Vic2. The problem is that it's completely counterintuitive, especially compared to, say, a 1% research increase.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's also not really 1% because most inventions have other things that are supposed to bump-up the chance

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm fairly positive it's a monthly chance, but now I can't find where I saw that.

The base chance being 2% means an additional 1% chance is tremendous because it's a 50% increase.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't think it's hardcoded, it's just the Homestead Act and being a democracy.

Statue of Liberty is pretty ridiculous

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
My favourite PDX games are Stellaris and HOI4, and for both I haven't bought the latest expansion.

Which one would you advice me to buy and play during the quarantine?
Between Federations and La Resistance, which one is the best DLC overally.

And which one is changing the game the most, so that it makes more sense to replay it some more?

Thanks!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Federations is probably the best dlc since Utopia just off the Origin system alone

Havent tried la resistance myself so I cant tell you about that one

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I should really get back into Stellaris, I haven't played it since before 2.0, it's probably like a totally different game by now

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I should really get back into Stellaris, I haven't played it since before 2.0, it's probably like a totally different game by now

it is definitely a totally different game now

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GrossMurpel posted:

Immigration is one of those things where Victoria 2 shows its age and how it fell right in the period when Paradox was transitioning from a more historically based, mostly scripted experience, to a more dynamic systems driven one. Like on its own immigration rates look like a dynamic system you can engage with but in practice the only thing that matters is "being America" and there is no way that other nations can even really compete. There's just nothing you can do as a player that will give you modifiers anywhere close to what they get automatically.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Immigration is one of those things where Victoria 2 shows its age and how it fell right in the period when Paradox was transitioning from a more historically based, mostly scripted experience, to a more dynamic systems driven one. Like on its own immigration rates look like a dynamic system you can engage with but in practice the only thing that matters is "being America" and there is no way that other nations can even really compete. There's just nothing you can do as a player that will give you modifiers anywhere close to what they get automatically.

You can just add global_immigrant_attract = 0.5 to your immigration NF and then every country can do it!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like they're veering back into that direction except now it just "feels" player driven.

EU2: As Austria, sit around and play nice with everyone until you inherit Hungary and Bohemia

EU4: As Austria, wait to click the mission complete button until your allies can beat Hungary or Bohemia's, then effortlessly invade them and own the maximum extent of the Austro-Hungarian Empire by 1480, also, you get diplomacy boosts and many of your natural allies conveniently rival those two countries!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 10, 2020

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Just full occupy the USA until it turns into a wartorn wasteland

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I feel like they're veering back into that direction except now it just "feels" player driven.

In HOI4 and increasingly EU4, sure. Not so much CK2, CK3, or Imperator. And Stellaris was never going to be paint-by-numbers.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

EU2: As Austria, sit around and play nice with everyone until you maybe inherit Hungary and Bohemia. Maybe you don't.

That missions in EU4 are powerful and railroady to an absurd degree isn't something I'd argue against, but hankering for the awful days of random events dictating incredibly game changing parts of the game seems like an overreaction. It's not like EU3 did much differently than EU2 when it came to how that kind of historical railroading. It's also why I hate playing Spain/Aragon, as you risk never getting the Iberian inheritance. Sure, it's gotten incredibly unlikely these days, with Queen regencies being enough to trigger it, but I've had it happen and it is absurdly aggravating. I don't know if it's a special brand of brain worms I have, but when that happens, I don't think "Oh well, I guess I get to enjoy a different sort of game", I think "Well, that's hours of my life I'm never getting back" as I start a new game.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Blargh, tried to screw over Prussia while it was weak after a lost war against Austria but General Moltke hosed my plans up pretty hard with his 4+ attack bonus.

Also I'm pretty new to Victoria 2's combat system so I don't know how to handle wars in a way that doesn't just mean catastrophic losses for me.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I don't know why we don't have a dedicated Victoria 2 thread.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
because it would get a post a week tops as it's an old a f game

paradox is already niche and most of the activity in this thread is the usual war crimes derail, it's fine.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
weirdly enough the stellaris one is pretty active

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

weirdly enough the stellaris one is pretty active

stellaris is a super successful game and constantly getting new patches and dlc

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This is the victoria 2 thread.

Koorisch posted:

Blargh, tried to screw over Prussia while it was weak after a lost war against Austria but General Moltke hosed my plans up pretty hard with his 4+ attack bonus.

Also I'm pretty new to Victoria 2's combat system so I don't know how to handle wars in a way that doesn't just mean catastrophic losses for me.

The key thing with vicky 2 is that defense gets progressively stronger as the game goes on, to the point where you can win some ridiculously lopsided victories as a dug-in defender in the 1900s. The other thing to know is that not having gas masks when your enemy has gas attacks is a death sentence. Find the techs that give those inventions and prioritize the heck out of em.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
missions are one of the best thing theyve added to eu4. being able to plan around specific events happening or so on is way better than it just being rng.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

yikes! posted:

The key thing with vicky 2 is that defense gets progressively stronger as the game goes on, to the point where you can win some ridiculously lopsided victories as a dug-in defender in the 1900s. The other thing to know is that not having gas masks when your enemy has gas attacks is a death sentence. Find the techs that give those inventions and prioritize the heck out of em.

Fighting someone with gas attack capability is also the easiest way to get gas masks quickly, however, with some ridiculous modifier like 25%.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Fighting someone with gas attack capability is also the easiest way to get gas masks quickly, however, with some ridiculous modifier like 25%.

Yeah although this is pretty risky because as long as they have the gas advantage they will be annihilating you in combat so you might end up losing most of your army before they figure it out.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

yikes! posted:

Yeah, i know about the gas masks and defence but how do you fight in the early game without losing, is there some special trick to it or is it just to ignore most of the other techs and just go full murder?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Koorisch posted:

Yeah, i know about the gas masks and defence but how do you fight in the early game without losing, is there some special trick to it or is it just to ignore most of the other techs and just go full murder?

The solution is always artillery. Build armies with 4 infantry, 1 hussar, and 5 artillery so your entire backline is filled. Tech is indeed important, get the rightmost column whenever a new decade gets around, the tactics modifier works like discipline in EU and makes your entire army better. The inventions you get by researching arty and infantry techs are absolutely ridiculous as well.
Some people only keep artillery armies around during peace and then fill them up with mobilized infantry divisions once they go to war but that's too much micromanagement for me.
Build railroads so that whenever an army gets attacked, you can ship in your entire theater forces within a few days.
I dunno if we have a tech guide somewhere but in general you should not be trying to fill out all the old techs in every tree before you start researching new ones. Stuff like Commerce or factory techs is helpful but normally less immediately important than having a good army.
E: Oh yeah and definitely look at their generals and yours, if you notice that one of their armies has a 4+ attack general then steer clear of it unless you have overwhelming local superiority of numbers. And by god stick a defense general on your army before it gets attacked.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 11, 2020

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
im actually not the biggest fan of early game mass artillery. before you get into the big minus combat width techs and all the artillery techs, you need massive gently caress off stacks to actually fill your front line and they are considerably worse in that situation.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I never care about combat width, I just make armies of the 10 brigades you need to stay at 100% occupation speed.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The ridiculous modifier is actually 5%. That is actually really high, but see what I mean about invention chances being super unintuitive?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah although this is pretty risky because as long as they have the gas advantage they will be annihilating you in combat so you might end up losing most of your army before they figure it out.

There is no other way to invent gas defense. The invention chance is 0% unless you're at war with someone with gas attack. You don't even have a chance to invent gas defense in peacetime if you yourself have invented gas attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cynic Jester posted:

That missions in EU4 are powerful and railroady to an absurd degree isn't something I'd argue against, but hankering for the awful days of random events dictating incredibly game changing parts of the game seems like an overreaction. It's not like EU3 did much differently than EU2 when it came to how that kind of historical railroading. It's also why I hate playing Spain/Aragon, as you risk never getting the Iberian inheritance. Sure, it's gotten incredibly unlikely these days, with Queen regencies being enough to trigger it, but I've had it happen and it is absurdly aggravating. I don't know if it's a special brand of brain worms I have, but when that happens, I don't think "Oh well, I guess I get to enjoy a different sort of game", I think "Well, that's hours of my life I'm never getting back" as I start a new game.

I don't think EAH is hankering for the EU2 days.