Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sunken King is the weakest of the three DLCs but is still much more interesting than most levels in the base game. It does have some odd puzzly bits...make sure you have a bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You also can pick up a +7 long bow fairly early on in the Sunken King DLC, if you need one. Two of the bosses are interesting though a lot of people find one annoying because they (mild boss quirk spoiler) degrade your weapon durability hyper fast, but the "multiplayer challenge boss" is by far the lamest boss in all the DLCs. All three DLCs are worth exploring since they're the high point of 2.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, sunken king is...alright. it's about on par with normal zones in the other games. the bosses were kind of a letdown. enjoyed the iron king dlc a lot more on every front.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I loved the aesthetic of the place and just how overly hostile it is towards the player. That said I played the dlcs as they came out and never revisited them.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

My favorite moment in the Sunken City was when a friend and I were doing a Castlevania run as the Worst Belmonts, and we were fighting the last boss of the DLC, and broke two whips and almost a third against it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I downloaded scholars of the first sin on PS4. I got to the old wharf and oh god I haven’t been so frustrated with a soulsborne game. Such a truly badly designed area and so early! I also made the terrible mistake of going for a magic build to mix things up but reading about it apparently that was a dreadful idea.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Technically No Man's Wharf is a totally optional area. It's one of my favourite areas in the game though, and not very long.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aidan_702 posted:

I downloaded scholars of the first sin on PS4. I got to the old wharf and oh god I haven’t been so frustrated with a soulsborne game. Such a truly badly designed area and so early! I also made the terrible mistake of going for a magic build to mix things up but reading about it apparently that was a dreadful idea.

What's wrong with the wharf? I always liked it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
technically all of the early game is optional since you can just collect a ton of souls and open the door to the end game that way.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Moon Monster posted:

It's basically "Gank Enemies: The Area". Also while the pirate theme is kind of cool, it also just feels a bit odd. I get that it is fantasy and all, but Dark Souls "takes place" in the medieval era, not the renaissance.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I'm pretty sure all the archtrees on earth went extinct well before the medieval era, there's a few other inconsistencies.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Docks and piracy were not invented after the middle ages.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
[Speaking through a head bucket] The flow of time is convoluted

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I started the Sanctum City and...is there not suppose to be another bonfire in like forever? I got to the next area and got a fair ways in and still haven't come across another bonfire.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the second bonfire in the start of the sunken king dlc is up in that one big tower next to a big line of raisable pillars. it's the one directly in view of the big bridge that the dragon roasts the two dudes off of. you gotta do a little switch puzzling to get up there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

the second bonfire in the start of the sunken king dlc is up in that one big tower next to a big line of raisable pillars. it's the one directly in view of the big bridge that the dragon roasts the two dudes off of. you gotta do a little switch puzzling to get up there.

I see.

How long is this DLC?

Is it as long as the other two?

I'm asking since I don't like it so far, but I want to ensure to myself that I have cleared all of the DLC from all the games.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see.

How long is this DLC?

Is it as long as the other two?

I'm asking since I don't like it so far, but I want to ensure to myself that I have cleared all of the DLC from all the games.

Yeah it's about as long as the other ones I think. It might be shorter than frozen city and longer than brume tower. But maybe that's just the way I think of them in my head.

IMO the final boss fight is really cool and has great music.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it seemed roughly around the same length as the second dlc but it's hard to judge. they each have 3 bosses. the optional boss in dlc 1 is kind of. easy to write off? i guess? it kind of sucks.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

The Moon Monster posted:

Well at least for my character I’m in a no life gem 1 Estus situation with 30 soul spears and peewee junior damage with a straight sword. The entire area was just: get surrounded - die instantly. The only option I had was to go back to the area before the dragon rider and kill the same three enemies over and over again to get just enough souls to get through it (I voluntarily did this already to get a stupid int start game level and it seems to have made 0 difference). Ended up with my just bolting from the bonfire to the flexible assassin or whatever it’s called. Luckily I realised I could just roll left and it literally would never hit me

[edit] uh so apparently there’s a forest of fallen giants I completely missed :negative:

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 11, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Why do you only have 1 estus? Did you not do the forest first?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There's a second estus flask shard in Majula too, you'd be well advised to go looking for it... And once Melentia moves to Majula her stock of the basic lifegems is infinite.

e- and since you obviously got to No Man's Wharf through Heide's Tower's underground route, you missed another estus flask shard on the way there, too, if you find a Fragrant Branch of Yore go back for it.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 11, 2020

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Wharf because of the ability to slowly light up the area, including the lockstone. Same with the Gutter. There's something nice about taking this dark, oppressive area and making it nice and bright.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The wharf’s enemies and encounter design are forgettable and cheesy, but how you move through the level is actually good, one of the few times DS2 gets the sense of progression through an area right.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The big hand guys are good but the pirates are lazy ugly enemies with some pretty shoddy animations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

skasion posted:

The wharf’s enemies and encounter design are forgettable and cheesy, but how you move through the level is actually good, one of the few times DS2 gets the sense of progression through an area right.

Yeah the Wharf is one of the few DS2 areas that feels like an actual level and not some scrapped together hallways and boxes glued to each other

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like the pirates cause they're like the Varangian guard.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the wharf is generally okay, progression-wise, but like a lot of things in ds2 i really think it needed an extra 25% of polish

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Just cleared Crown of the Sunken King DLC.

Overall it was pretty fun, but nowhere near as good as the other two DLCs.

The final boss was great and it is nice to see From Software FINALLY get a dragon boss down right. The boss prior to him was fun too but I found it funny when she summoned piglets against me.

I found the enemies a bit tough to deal with, but the bosses were fairly easy all things considered. Maybe that's because I am at level 163 due to completing all of the DLC and most of the base game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hated that dragon boss because my sword always broke halfway through

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I hated that dragon boss because my sword always broke halfway through

Repair powder is your friend.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mostly hated how it would be an rear end in a top hat and fly around everywhere

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I'm doing the Ashes DLC for Dark Souls 3. Finally after 11 hours I can do the DLC. Not complaining too much. These games are so replayable.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 12, 2020

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

can you not just shoot the bell that brings the ship with arrows from near the starting bonfire or was that a dream?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Sleekly posted:

can you not just shoot the bell that brings the ship with arrows from near the starting bonfire or was that a dream?

You can definitely shoot the bell, though it's on the opposite side of the zone so you still need to get close enough. It takes about half a minute to run to where you can shoot it, and then another half minute from there to get to the ship, if you just want to rush through the zone skipping everything.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wow. Imagine if this was left in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjDpk4sTFsA&t=110s

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just cleared Crown of the Sunken King DLC.

Overall it was pretty fun, but nowhere near as good as the other two DLCs.

The final boss was great and it is nice to see From Software FINALLY get a dragon boss down right. The boss prior to him was fun too but I found it funny when she summoned piglets against me.

I found the enemies a bit tough to deal with, but the bosses were fairly easy all things considered. Maybe that's because I am at level 163 due to completing all of the DLC and most of the base game?

I like Sinh a lot as a boss. Kalameet is alright but pretty straightforward unless you're trying to go for his tail solo. Ringed City boss spoiler: Midir is just a little too big for my tastes and feels more like a Monster Hunter endgame boss fight rather than a Soulsborne one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm having trouble with Aldrich. His second form is too much for me. The arrows last way too long and it is all a little too hectic. Any tips and pointers?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm having trouble with Aldrich. His second form is too much for me. The arrows last way too long and it is all a little too hectic. Any tips and pointers?

Whenever he burrows, run to the middle of the arena and wait. He'll always reappear on the opposite side of the arena from where he was previously. As soon as you see him popping up from the ground, sprint up to him to bait out his slow, ineffectual melee swings. This requires decent reflexes to get in range in time, but he's otherwise trivial if you pull it off.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DPS race him. The second phase arrows will kill you if not dodged but otherwise just tank and spank. and the way to dodge those is to just sprint around for a while

now while I say tank and spank i don't literally mean never dodge, of course, if you're in a good position to. but you will get hit in this fight anyway and he gives you ample time to heal between teleports, so you should take advantage of that and just R1 spam while you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sprint away in zig zags, the arrows follow your path and will not catch up to you unless you run into a wall/pillar.

More generally, he’s weak to bleed, fire and lightning. The better pyromancies will just destroy him. On the off-chance that it’s possible for you (30 Faith + bought the Londor Tome from Yuria) you could also get Vow of Silence from Irina and cast it on him: it blocks all his spells so all he can do is wave his halberd at you and teleport around, which is pretty hilarious.