Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

LoL3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kibayasu posted:

I don't know long it took to convince and/or cast Barry Corbin as Carville way back in the Red Alert expansion but it was time well spent.

Really was. Best casting choice they made since Joe Kucan decided to cast himself :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 03: Hail to the Chief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjh1-52joGE
Hail to the Chief

The Soviets have taken control of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and North Carolina! On top of that, they've managed to sneak in a Psychic Beacon on to Capitol Hill! Report to high command and get this sorted out, pronto!

Fighting in the heart of the capital!

Objective: Destroy the Psychic Beacon at all costs!

Briefing: The Soviets have invaded Washington, D.C. and have used their evil psychic technology to mind control our leaders. You must rescue them by destroying the Psychic Beacon near the White House.

Author's note: Yet another good mission with a solid intro for a new unit (IFV) while also showing off the Harrier jets.

Name: President Dugan
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Allies [Soviet Sympathizer]
Voiced/Played by: Ray Wise

President of the United States of America. Helped install Premier Romanov in Soviet Russia. Defected to the Reds.

Name: Ben Carville
Aliases: General Thorn
Affiliation: Allies [Soviet Sympathizer]
Voiced/Played by: Barry Corbin

Top military official for the United States of America's armed forces. Reports directly to the president. Enjoys antagonizing Tanya. Defected to the Reds.

Name: Lt. Eva
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Allies
Occupation: Tactical and Communications officer for the Commander
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

Lt. Eva is the Commander's tactics and communications officer, providing a vital supporting role in the Commander's control of his forces, and the battlefield.

IFV
RANGE: Short-Medium
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: Missiles
COST: 600

An incredibly versatile vehicle, this transport alters its weapon depending on what type of infantry unit is placed inside it. For instance, putting an Engineer into this craft turns it into a mobile repair vehicle, able to repair your damaged vehicles without the necessity of bringing your units back to your base, while GIs enhance the vehicle’s ability to gun down infantry, etc. Explore the many unique abilities the IFV has to offer.

Author's Note: A rather interesting vehicle with plenty of variety to it. While I never make the most of it, it certainly shows off a rather fun aspect to a unit transport.

Harrier
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: Maverick Missiles
COST: 1200

This fast jet-aircraft is used for ground attacks against enemy positions. Useful for strafing enemy structures or incoming columns of enemy units, the Harrier is vulnerable to Soviet anti-aircraft fire.

Author's Note: A basic air unit, nothing too fancy. Has a high cost for relatively good striking power but light defense makes it risky to use most times.

Airforce Command
ARMOR: Steel
COST: 1000
POWER USAGE: 50
PURPOSE: Builds Aircraft

The Allied Air Force Command Headquarters has two critical functions. Firstly, it provides radar, activating your Radar display, and allowing you to see the areas of the shroud you have removed on your Radar map. Secondly, this structure allows for the creation of aircraft. Each Air Force Command Headquarters can control up to four Harriers. Additional aircraft will require the production of a new Air Force Command Headquarters.

Author's Note: Required to build and maintain Harrier jets. Unlocks aircraft.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "The President was rescued long before the Soviets could discover any important military secrets."

Slower than Par Time: "The President was rescued, though many military secrets were compromised."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

IMO the more interesting IFV modes are the ones you get from putting Soviet infantry in it. Interesting in both good and bad ways.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's plain cool that they even made variations for the Soviet units really.

I wish we'd seen more variations on the "APC units can fire out of" unit style in RTS in general but it's tricky to balance out since a lot of infantry tend to be glass cannons

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So... you just massacred a whole bunch of mind controlled civilians and no one comments on it.

Okay then.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Better dead than red, right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hey, they shot us first!

also if nothing else IFVs are crazy fast, great for scouting if you have some lying around and an area that needs checking. In multiplayer people tend to use dogs for their early scouting since they're the fastest thing that comes out of a barracks.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 11, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

So... you just massacred a whole bunch of mind controlled civilians and no one comments on it.

Okay then.

Some traditions die hard.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

If you're still wondering, select all matching on screen is a hotkey (t, I believe), and on the little toolbar on the bottom, the bracket symbol. Double click was always deploy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
One thing to point out is that the default IFV missiles also do anti air, which in RA2 includes intercepting large Soviet missiles.

IFVs are quite expensive for how squishy they are, though.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Jobbo Fett posted:

Some traditions die hard.

Gold.

Also, while I'm ambivalent towards this game in general, I really like the opening cutscene of this mission - esp. how Eva is more surprised that Gen. Carville is now pro-Soviet than the President. And the IFV is just excellent.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Mokinokaro posted:

It's plain cool that they even made variations for the Soviet units really.

I wish we'd seen more variations on the "APC units can fire out of" unit style in RTS in general but it's tricky to balance out since a lot of infantry tend to be glass cannons

If I remember right, some of the expansion infantry you get do fantastic things in an IFV.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

You're being a little harsh on the Flak Track. It's a decent, mobile anti-air unit that's great at taking out Rocketeers when it's not outnumbered 30 to 1 and it's good at getting infantry across the map quickly.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Love the small detail of mind controlled Carville having a Soviet flag coffee stirrer. Anyway, yeah, another great mission with some pretty heavy urban combat. With the massive lack of Soviet anti-air, Rocketeers and the Harrier jet just dominate the map, and make clearing the Soviet held buildings a breeze. Also, while it is a tad fragile, the IFV is another fantastic unit with crazy amounts of versatility that allows you to adapt to whatever you are facing quickly. Plus, as stated, its' crazy fast speed and good sight make it a fine ground-based scout. As for the Harrier, its pretty much an ORCA+, only since it has just a pair of missiles, there is no weird curly shuffle between shots, and it definitely can deal some major damage in a full squad of four, although anti-air wipes them out way quicker then you would expect. The Soviet Flak Truck, while not exactly too impressive, does at least have the standard 5 infantry capacity vs the IFVs' one, so it really should be thought of as an APC+ with some modest anti-air capability vs the jack of all trades IFV.

Also, there is one more difference between the Allied and Soviet miners that I don't think is ever really explained, but the Soviet one can hold twice as much ore as its Allied counterpart, although the Allied miner being able to warp back makes up for this mostly. Still, Allied miners are definitely a lot more fragile then one might be used to when it comes to miners/harvester units, but if you manually click an Allied miner back to a Ore Refinery, it will warp there, so that is a way to save them from an attack.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The sad part of the IFV is that (almost) all of its best interactions are with either Soviet or multiplayer-only units.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Harrier's main strength is being a one-shot nuke when massed, and cheesing campaign levels for faster par times. I don't think I've ever used them in a non-decisive manner, especially not against individual units.

Oh, and they're capable of revealing the map, unlike earlier games' flying units.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So when I played the game years ago, the IFV was how I cheesed it when I made a discovery that I'm sure loads of other people made.

Basically the Promotion system in the game worked off the Unit destroying other units that are a multiplier of its cost.

I think it was like times 5 and times 10.

So if a unit cost 200 credits (like the GI's) it had to destroy 1000 credits worth of units to rank up.

The same was true of the IFV.
What's more, if a Uni was inside the IFV and it got promoted, the Infinity inside would get promoted.
But the Promotion worked off the IFV's low cost of 600 credits, not the Infantry inside it.

So if you put GI's inside a IFV they had to kill 3000 credits worth of units to get promoted instead of 1000 credits if outside.

But if you had an infantry unit that cost more than 600 credits and put them inside a IFV, they would get promoted up far faster.

I'm sure people are seeing where this is going and why it got so good.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Unreal_One posted:

If you're still wondering, select all matching on screen is a hotkey (t, I believe), and on the little toolbar on the bottom, the bracket symbol. Double click was always deploy.
In addition, double clicking it, either the hot key or the button on the toolbar, selects all matching on the entire map.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Fangz posted:

One thing to point out is that the default IFV missiles also do anti air, which in RA2 includes intercepting large Soviet missiles.

IFVs are quite expensive for how squishy they are, though.

I wanted to jump on this point as well, IFV are most useful as your G2A unit outside of water maps. They are expensive but they beat the pants off of the standard anti-air structure, being both cheaper and not requiring base power to operate. Plus being mobile they can respond to air threats far more effectively than a static defense, a cluster of IFVs can cover a base better than a handful of turrets at a cheaper price and they can keep the pressure on slower moving air units that might avoid a turret.

Maybe someone who knows the game better than I could chip in: Allies use AA missiles, soviets use flak, I always felt that flak did less damage but had AOE while missiles were higher single target damage however I have no evidence to support this.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

CheeseThief posted:

I wanted to jump on this point as well, IFV are most useful as your G2A unit outside of water maps. They are expensive but they beat the pants off of the standard anti-air structure, being both cheaper and not requiring base power to operate. Plus being mobile they can respond to air threats far more effectively than a static defense, a cluster of IFVs can cover a base better than a handful of turrets at a cheaper price and they can keep the pressure on slower moving air units that might avoid a turret.

Maybe someone who knows the game better than I could chip in: Allies use AA missiles, soviets use flak, I always felt that flak did less damage but had AOE while missiles were higher single target damage however I have no evidence to support this.

You are correct that flack has an AOE. It actually makes flak tracks pretty good at fighting blobs of infantry.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Anecdotally, I noticed the same thing with missiles having better single-target damage. This mission too is a real stand-out for me, classic RA2. You're in Washington DC, the mind controlled civilians think you're there to tread on them (you are), you get bonus points for repairing the American monuments, and there's a psychic thingy set up on the White House's lawn. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

we also got to hear the best track from the ost in this update https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xJBxaaU5fE

yeah that's right

edit: whoops, let's use one with a neutral background

Aces High fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 12, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You can't really go wrong.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Big ole spoiler thumbnail right there...

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Aces High posted:

we also got to hear the best track from the ost in this update

yeah that's right

Use this one instead, spoiler free thumbnail.
https://youtu.be/5xJBxaaU5fE

Also, the best RA2 track is every track. There's no bad ones, they're all fantastic.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Best track? That's not Grinder

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

We don't get the actual best track until Yuri's Revenge :(.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I think RA2 is still my favorite sound track of any game, ever. TibDawn might be a better album to listen to on it's own, but for background music during the game itself, it can't be beat.

But yeah, Grinder is the best.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The problem with the Harrier is that it's tied to the RA2 control scheme, which itself is a hangover from the methods used to control ORCAs/Apaches all the way back to C&C1. The short version is that if you bind two of them to a hotkey you can reliably kill two Rhinos in a pass, and good MP players could reliably attack and defend that way (the Harrier missile has limited homing once launched but a Rhino can move fast enough to evade it when micromanaged by a human player).

Yes the best way to use Harriers is in groups of eight or more for decapitation strikes, until better ways come along to use that style of anti-tank air unit in later years.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

All these urban maps really make me wish for a Tiberian Sun re-done in the style of RA2, with its denser maps, larger and more visually distinct units, a decent amount of units with special abilities, all that good stuff. Like, atmospherically and to an extent narratively TibSun is the best of the series, but RA2 is overall a better game. Imagine if your jumpjet infantry worked like rocketeers, if your orcas were much less finicky like the harriers, if you could queue up 30 Light Infantry instead of five at a time. Imagine if TibSun's ruined and abandoned settlements actually had the scope and scale of RA2's cities rather than being a loose handful of buildings each the size of a Titan.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Radio Free Kobold posted:

All these urban maps really make me wish for a Tiberian Sun re-done in the style of RA2, with its denser maps, larger and more visually distinct units, a decent amount of units with special abilities, all that good stuff. Like, atmospherically and to an extent narratively TibSun is the best of the series, but RA2 is overall a better game. Imagine if your jumpjet infantry worked like rocketeers, if your orcas were much less finicky like the harriers, if you could queue up 30 Light Infantry instead of five at a time. Imagine if TibSun's ruined and abandoned settlements actually had the scope and scale of RA2's cities rather than being a loose handful of buildings each the size of a Titan.

Perhaps someday with an Enhanced "This is what we actually wanted to do" Edition... :sigh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

CheeseThief posted:

That is absolutely true. However the flak is hitscan with no travel time unlike the missile which to me is worth infinitely more and makes the Soviet AA the best by far.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's odd how Allies and Soviet swapped AA strategy since RA1, where Allies used flak cannons and Soviet used SAM sites.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Allies won the war, so the Soviets adopted their superior technology. Meanwhile in America, they invented the Patriot missile system, and you're a Patriot, aren't you? Comrade?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dabir posted:

The Allies won the war, so the Soviets adopted their superior technology. Meanwhile in America, they invented the Patriot missile system, and you're a Patriot, aren't you? Comrade?
Da, tovarish.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

nielsm posted:

It's odd how Allies and Soviet swapped AA strategy since RA1, where Allies used flak cannons and Soviet used SAM sites.

All part of the 70s/80s tone. Allied AA batteries are explicitly Patriot missile systems, whereas the Soviets have moved from WW2 Stalinist walls of iron to the Cold War "Asiatic hordes" tropes - gas-masked conscript soldiers being the most obvious example we've seen so far.

EDIT: Later, when we've seen more of both sides' air units, the specific reasons their AA weapons work that way will become more apparent.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Early screenshots had AA guns protecting the Statue of Liberty etc

But all the allied vehicles for AA went in on missiles, as we'll see as things continue

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

It's because missiles are cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Garrisoning buildings is oddly used by the AI. All I remember is the frustration of trying to level a city block full of walled in troops.

Edit: Edited for quasi-spoiler

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 12, 2020