Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

this analogy thing really isn't working for you

I restrict my lovely analogies to this one thread.

Seriously though, just because a bet works out doesn't mean it was a good bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Bloop posted:

I restrict my lovely analogies to this one thread.

Seriously though, just because a bet works out doesn't mean it was a good bet.

It does when it's a once in a lifetime event and it wins.

Like you can argue all day that Michelle is dumb for spending all her tokens on the advantage. But the price, that Parv set, was clearly fine since Michelle bought it... And if she didn't buy the advantage, it's not like Parv somehow lost anything, other than some tokens and maybe getting to buy some food.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It does when it's a once in a lifetime event and it wins.

Like you can argue all day that Michelle is dumb for spending all her tokens on the advantage. But the price, that Parv set, was clearly fine since Michelle bought it... And if she didn't buy the advantage, it's not like Parv somehow lost anything, other than some tokens and maybe getting to buy some food.

It's obviously an unprovable counterfactual but she was far more likely to get 3 than all 4.

She wouldn't even have hesitated let alone consulted a cookie.

It was a bad risk that happened to work out.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I haven't been following this thread but I'm checking in to say this season is good/bad... hmm.. good! Because of Adam and the lovely Imagine Dragons music. Like I can just imagine Jeff blasting Imagine Dragons in a stuffy car stuck in LA traffic.

I started watching Survivor in 2007 with Survivor: China and did so ironically because I thought the show was bad and about to die. But that season got me into it and, well, look at us now.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

This is likely her only chance to spend those tokens

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

It's obviously an unprovable counterfactual but she was far more likely to get 3 than all 4.

I agree that lower prices increase the chance but when the quantity of the thing you're selling is "one" then you want to get as much as possible, which she did

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If I was in Parv's shoes, I would have sold it for three. But clearly Parv knows Michele better than I do.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
god i wish that had been an idol.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I'm watching AU season 2 as my first AU Survivor experience. I like it but production-wise there's a lot of fanservice that's kind of off-putting that they do instead of making AU it's own thing. The host is just Jeff with an Aussie accent. He even does the "Well if it's one thing we learned...." South Park outro that Jeff does.

Be yourself, my dude.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Production/editing starts to let him show more personality as seasons go on, but he's still reading from the Official Survivor Host (c) script by J Probst. "Come on in guys" "got nuthin for you" etc ad nauseum.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Normy posted:

This is likely her only chance to spend those tokens

This is the reason she bought it at 4 tokens, and Parvati knew that. They all got the report from Wendell on how the vote went down and they know that she's on the outer, and likely to be picked off so any bone she's thrown (especially one that's immunity) she'd take or risk just being voted out with all of her currency.

It was a good move on both of their parts imo. The only thing she could have maybe done differently is leverage her tokens to other people to ensure safety for a couple of votes or something, but that may be just slowing the bleeding, while an advantage, played correctly, could change the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Also, more Ethan postcards.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

SweetJahasus posted:

This is the reason she bought it at 4 tokens, and Parvati knew that. They all got the report from Wendell on how the vote went down and they know that she's on the outer, and likely to be picked off so any bone she's thrown (especially one that's immunity) she'd take or risk just being voted out with all of her currency.

3 of those tokens also came from Parv, so there may have been some agreement in place before she was voted out as well

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just caught up with the last 2 weeks. Adam's (3rd?) game meltdown was very entertaining and satisfying. More than anyone this season I've found myself watching Adam and thinking "How did that guy win?"

And I'm fine with Michelle buying the coin. Its a poo poo deal but there's no guarantee you'll get another offer and you just got blindsided on the vote and lost one of your allies. Take what you can get while you can.

I don't know if Parv overpriced it. The fact that Parv and Danni (?) were like "we can buy a tarp" makes me assume Parv just saw it as a move she couldn't make in the game because other people knew about it so like, whatever. Go for broke and if you don't get it whatever. You're playing with house money.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Is the coin played before or after the votes are cast? It sounds like before which makes it even less powerful (since even if she's safe the majority can still switch their votes and decide who goes home).

It's also one of those twists that sounds exciting on paper could easily produce a real thud of a TV moment. If she plays it she probably knows she's about to get voted out, and if it comes up Not Safe then we still have to go through the boring formality of watching her get voted out when everyone knows what's about to happen. Why wouldn't they just make it a full idol? Why do they insist on creating these stupid needlessly convoluted advantages?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I dunno, everyone says there’s tons of strategy but most of the time I just think it’s pure luck you end up in the final three.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A lot of the strategy gets edited out

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

mancalamania posted:

It's also one of those twists that sounds exciting on paper could easily produce a real thud of a TV moment. If she plays it she probably knows she's about to get voted out, and if it comes up Not Safe then we still have to go through the boring formality of watching her get voted out when everyone knows what's about to happen. Why wouldn't they just make it a full idol? Why do they insist on creating these stupid needlessly convoluted advantages?

Something not working as an idol this week right before a player knew they were going to be voted out gave us one of the best moments of the season so far

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mancalamania posted:

Is the coin played before or after the votes are cast? It sounds like before which makes it even less powerful (since even if she's safe the majority can still switch their votes and decide who goes home).

My guess is that the coin flip and the two-piece idols form something of a theme of shared information: you get an idol but you have to tell someone. For two-piece, sure you can give half to someone and get it right back, but now they know you have one. For coin flip, everyone gets to see you're attempting to play an idol and feel scorned that you didn't tell them.

Standard idols just hide in your pocket, sometimes having literally zero effect on the game when e.g. some injury-prone chump goes home with two unplayed.

(I admit it's a loose connection.)

Invalid Validation posted:

I dunno, everyone says there’s tons of strategy but most of the time I just think it’s pure luck you end up in the final three.

It's assumed (probably correctly) that nobody wants to watch a weekly three hour supercut of groups of 2-5 people sitting around fire/water/sand talking strategy. We see bits and pieces, we find out after the fact from interviews etc., but yeah going strictly by what's aired it can seem pretty arbitrary.

To be fair, most if not all winners admit to luck playing a major role in their victory. I don't know if we've seen enough repeat players to say whether better players tend to win over time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think there's probably more genuine strategy with returning players too. With new players, it's much harder to guess if they're being sincere or not.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I feel like the best strategy is to just stay low till about the final 6ish and hope to god you have a good story going into the finale.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

I feel like the best strategy is to just stay low till about the final 6ish and hope to god you have a good story going into the finale.

The best story is "remember those three weeks we spent together on the edge? that was tough but fun. thanks for the million dollars"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spokes posted:

The best story is "remember those three weeks we spent together on the edge? that was tough but fun. thanks for the million dollars"

Four weeks for a few of them

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Bleh. Glad to see Adam go but it feels like we’ve got a ton of these sorts of uninteresting votes left. Hopefully we get a couple 2-3 boot episodes in the near future.

Unfortunately this season isn’t shaping up to be much fun. Maybe someone like Tony or Tyson could spice it up a little? Or maybe someone fun returns from the edge? I don’t feel like anyone is playing a particularly good game right now, it’s just a shitshow out there.

The music during the challenge was intensely cringe.

I dunno. Maybe it’ll get better in a few episodes?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BGrifter posted:

Bleh. Glad to see Adam go but it feels like we’ve got a ton of these sorts of uninteresting votes left. Hopefully we get a couple 2-3 boot episodes in the near future.

Unfortunately this season isn’t shaping up to be much fun. Maybe someone like Tony or Tyson could spice it up a little? Or maybe someone fun returns from the edge? I don’t feel like anyone is playing a particularly good game right now, it’s just a shitshow out there.

The music during the challenge was intensely cringe.

I dunno. Maybe it’ll get better in a few episodes?

I thought we've had some pretty fun episodes (Nick walking in on everyone, Tony being Tony, etc., and y'know, Adam) so I'm not too sure what you've been hoping to see.

The cast is actually pretty fluid because nobody wants to be the ringleader (because they get cut, see Rob or the past couple seasons) and they're much more hyper-aware. Normally someone like Sophie or Sarah would be skating by fine but Tony or Tyson are onto them.

You probably won't see a Kim or J.T. style dominant win because everyone is on a pretty even playing field.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm enjoying it and I kinda don't see a scenario where we end up with a Final 5 of people I think are goats or something like that. There's a few players I'm unimpressed by with their games or don't super like but no one who is a deal breaker and not enough to feel like the season is going in the wrong direction.

But I can see who people who were really rooting for the old school characters or wants to see someone take the game over would be disappointed. But the odds of big personalities and puppetmasters dominating this season always seemed low. And for me I find the fluidity of this more compelling than following one player the whole way.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this season is awesome, gently caress the hater

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

But I can see who people who were really rooting for the old school characters or wants to see someone take the game over would be disappointed.

I absolutely fall into both categories!

My ideal season of either Survivor or Big Brother is something like Big Brother 10. I enjoy seeing a dominant player take over the game and win on the back of big flashy moves or death defying escapes from what seems like inevitable defeat. I want a Parvati or Cirie from FvF to emerge from the pack, Boston Rob & Ambuh from All-Stars, or Dr Will on Big Brother All-Stars.

Failing that, I like the chaos of a Tony or the entertainment value of big personalities like Tyson, the sadly ineligible Coach, or Rachel from Big Brother.

Instead this season has felt like a muddled mess of hesitant overly cautious players. Ones I can’t stand like Ben seem destined to go deep, while most of my favorites got the boot early.

It’s certainly not a bad season, it’s just not what I was hoping for when we started.

In unrelated news, for the love of god the word blindside needs to die. Watching Australian Survivor and it’s irritating referring to every single vote out as a “blindside”. It’s overused to the point of feeling meaningless.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hey don’t blindside me like that bro.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I agree, we should say "bamboozle" instead

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

precision posted:

I agree, we should say "bamboozle" instead

Hoodwinked would also be acceptable!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

This season is good and I'm enjoying it so far.

But this season got pretty overshadowed by Australian Survivor running just before and during the start of the season.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

This season is good and I'm enjoying it so far.

But this season got pretty overshadowed by Australian Survivor running just before and during the start of the season.

I’m almost caught up to be able to watch it and I’m SO excited.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The continent of Australia is not canon IMO.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

BGrifter posted:

Instead this season has felt like a muddled mess of hesitant overly cautious players. Ones I can’t stand like Ben seem destined to go deep, while most of my favorites got the boot early.

It’s certainly not a bad season, it’s just not what I was hoping for when we started.

Yeah I agree with this. Unfortunately the "anyone but me" strategy has been dominant this season. From the first vote to the most recent, which makes for fun episodes but not a great overarching plot.

The time spent at edge of extinction and the multiple silly twists is just completely wasted on what should be an iconic season.

I'm enjoying it and I look forward to every week. I'm spending more time on podcasts and threads because of all seasons this is the one to be super into it. But it just feels like so far, it could have been more unfortunately.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Remember that the last season this cast watched was EoE, where the 'big name' players got cut down every time they made a move. So it makes sense that they're adopting a more low key strategy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Overly cautious" is basically the modern game. Look at Jeremy. The first time he played he was aggressive and it made him a target very early in the game and his playing partner ends up flying under the radar, making big moves late, and winning the game. Jeremy comes back a second time and learns from his mistakes and Natalie's successes and wins the game playing it more cautious. He's largely played it cautious except when he was trying too hard to keep a second in the game.

Those old school players like Rob and Parv never really had to worry about that. That style of "running the whole season" is next to impossible to do today unless you're just absolutely brilliant and can pull the strings without anyone noticing... or are so chaotic that people underestimate you... or you just keep getting lucky with advantages and other players' decisions. Boston Rob, Parv, and Sandra were all voted out pre-merge and we were still going "Why hasn't anyone taken them out?!?! Idiots!"

I think there's truth to Jeff's hamfisted "old school vs new school" thing even if all the old school players seem to take it as an insult that they can't keep up. I think its the opposite in many ways. Rob, Parv, Tyson, and Sandra all played very loud games and thought they could just hold power openly and secure numbers. And that just isn't how people play any more. Basically every "new school" winner there didn't win by having a loyal alliance or tribe but by bouncing around and shifting targets with the flow of the game. And I think that's the disconnect some of the old school players and fans of those players are having this season.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Oh it’s definitely smart gameplay. It’s just a lot less fun to watch on TV.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I personally prefer this style because instead of going "well X is gonna take out Y next week" I'm going "Is Nick gonna be the next target because he's kinda flailing and getting petulant about it or will Michelle be a target for being a better social threat or will someone take a shot at Jeremy because he was too pushy with trying to save Wendell or will someone take a shot at Tyson before he can worm his way in deeper or will they take that shot at Denise they were all teasing or will someone random self destruct?" I like the ambiguity more than I do a mastermind narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BGrifter posted:

Oh it’s definitely smart gameplay. It’s just a lot less fun to watch on TV.

What were the good seasons where someone ran it all the way through?

Redemption Island was the last one i can think of, and it was boring as poo poo because they cast 3 capable people and a dozen different flavours of jello.

A major flaw of Survivor, as a show, is that it isn't willing to tell a cohesive story. The structure of the show is about the suspense of who gets voted out at the end of an episode, so they edit it together to NOT make it clear what is happening. It stitches together a bunch of false narratives to obscure what will happen, but doesn't explain the truth afterwards. That's why you end up with winners like Tommy from 39 who had an incredible social game* that we never see on tv.

All the advantages in the game facilitate this story telling because even if they show how votes are going to fall, you still have the tension of "will they play the advantage?", or even in the case of the 50/50 idol, "will the advantage even work?"

*according to his post show interview on RHAP, which is heavily biased and not canon