Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's mostly a matter of not particularly caring for Edge or Chrome, but with a tiny bit of tweaking it behaves much like my current Firefox setup. Tab trees on the left, navigation bar at the very top, no weird wankery to tweak away every couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I can't say how long I have been using Vivaldi. Years? The UI and functionality has stayed the same. No need to fiddle with settings and add-ons and fixes all the time.. more time to play dota instead :dance:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Until a browser does add-on introspection like Firefox does, which enables ublock origin to function as well as it does, and ublock origin exists on that browser, I won't use anything else.
Tampermonkey or an equivalent is also pretty much mandatory, but ublock origin is the only must-have.

This, naturally, completely excludes anything based off Webkit+Blink+V8/Chromium/whatever the Google engine is called, and that's +90% of the browser market.

Ihmemies posted:

I can't say how long I have been using Vivaldi. Years? The UI and functionality has stayed the same. No need to fiddle with settings and add-ons and fixes all the time.. more time to play dota instead :dance:
If you're looking for a turn-key solution, that sounds like a great solution.
I don't think it's for me though, because by nature and training I like being able to tweak things to my liking; it's part of the reason I run FreeBSD instead of something else (although everything else annoys me too much for various reasons).

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

D. Ebdrup posted:

Until a browser does add-on introspection like Firefox does, which enables ublock origin to function as well as it does, and ublock origin exists on that browser, I won't use anything else.
Tampermonkey or an equivalent is also pretty much mandatory, but ublock origin is the only must-have.

Also ctrl-tab on crome works wrong and can't be changed, afaik.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wheany posted:

Also ctrl-tab on crome works wrong and can't be changed, afaik.
Oh, the huge manatee!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bieeanshee posted:

I was fine providing performance information when they asked me to, but I wouldn't have known about this if I wasn't reading this thread. If you ask me, I'm much more likely to say 'yes' than if you ask my forgiveness.

Especially when Moz's big branding push these days is "Firefox respects your privacy".

If you're gonna make respecting privacy your shtick, you can't turn around and add a daily phone-home without asking people first. Yeah, it's no worse than what everyone else does but if you make that claim you should hold yourself to the highest standard, not the one step better than google and facebook standard.

Ihmemies posted:

Yeah the good thing about vivaldi is that the people behind it think Opera circa 2013 was the pinnacle of web browsers, so it will never not look like Opera in 2013. That's the entire reason the browser exists.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
How is Vivaldi's record for privacy? Does Blink engine mean necessarily mean everything's going to google?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lakitu7 posted:

How is Vivaldi's record for privacy? Does Blink engine mean necessarily mean everything's going to google?

Their privacy policy is better than Mozilla's.

Most of google's biggest data collection code is only in chrome, not chromium. So any of the chrome-based browsers that aren't chrome are much better, including a generic chromium build. AFAIK vivaldi's devs remove most stuff, but there's still some things like hard-coded DNS fallbacks to google. Incredibly minor leakage IMO, but some people still freak about it.

So I think vivaldi is even better at privacy than firefox. If I ever get totally fed up it'll become my main. But I still like using firefox more.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

MikusR posted:

people complained and pointed out problems but Mozilla ignored it.

They do their actual jobs.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3389882/former-mozilla-exec-alleges-google-torpedoed-firefox-with-oops-excuses.html

quote:

The complications came from direct competition between the two companies over browsers, and the fact that Google has been the source of more than 91% of all Mozilla revenue year in, year out. (Google paid Mozilla to make the Google search service the default in Firefox.) Although some questioned whether Google would continue to pay Mozilla once it had its own browser, the former kept writing checks. And in 2017, when Mozilla walked away from a five-year contract with Yahoo after Yahoo was bought by Verizon, the Firefox maker went right back to Google as its main money source.

The competition manifested itself in suspicious ways, Nightingale contended. "Google Chrome ads started appearing next to Firefox search terms," he tweeted. Gmail & [Google] Docs started to experience selective performance issues and bugs on Firefox. Demo sites would falsely block Firefox as 'incompatible.'

"All of this is stuff you're allowed to do to compete, of course. But we were still a search partner, so we'd say 'Hey, what gives?' And every time, they'd say, "Oops. That was accidental. We'll fix it in the next push in 2 weeks.

"Over and over. Oops. Another accident. We'll fix it soon. We want the same things. We're on the same team. There were dozens of oopses. Hundreds maybe? I'm all for 'don't attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence,' but I don't believe Google is that incompetent.

"I think they were running out the clock. We lost users during every oops. And we spent effort and frustration every clock tick on that instead of improving our product. We got outfoxed for a while and by the time we started calling it what it was, a lot of damage had been done."

Yet Mozilla rarely called out Google over the tactics Nightingale described. The company was much more willing to lay into Microsoft, such as when it took that rival to task for setting Edge as the default Windows 10 browser during upgrades from Windows 7 or 8.1, when a former engineer blamed Microsoft's third-party browser rules for Mozilla's decision to bag a touch-based version for Windows 8 and 8.1, or when the organization joined others in demanding European anti-trust regulators rein in Microsoft's leveraging of IE.

Mozilla's hesitation in criticizing Google over Chrome was understandable: The organization - and thus Firefox - was wedded to the money Google paid out. (In 2011, three years after Chrome's debut, Google's payments accounted for 84% of all Mozilla revenue.)

Time to move some buttons around and force more users to give up! Cash that sweet check!

(That article ends with a big "well actually!" that ignores the fact that the pattern never stops.)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Klyith posted:

Most of google's biggest data collection code is only in chrome, not chromium. So any of the chrome-based browsers that aren't chrome are much better, including a generic chromium build. AFAIK vivaldi's devs remove most stuff, but there's still some things like hard-coded DNS fallbacks to google. Incredibly minor leakage IMO, but some people still freak about it.

So I think vivaldi is even better at privacy than firefox. If I ever get totally fed up it'll become my main. But I still like using firefox more.

Thanks. I'm one of those people who really loved 2013 Opera, so I probably should give it a try. I just had some resistance to jumping on another community fork browser but I'm having a hard time seeing what benefit there is to staying on firefox these days. At least on a Blink-based browser, I won't have to hop over to Chrome when I want random bank sites to work properly or video playback to not be choppy.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Klyith posted:

That Vivaldi policy doesn't mention automatic browser and extension updates. They use the Chrome Web Store right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Applebees posted:

That Vivaldi policy doesn't mention automatic browser and extension updates. They use the Chrome Web Store right?

Afaik it never auto-updates, you always get a notify prompt. Add-ons are from chrome web store.

edit: Someone who uses vivaldi a lot should make a thread, I use it pretty stock because all I do in vivaldi is youtube & other video sites. Vivaldi is like more like my tv than my browser.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 10, 2020

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Oh god, now I just got FF 75 update in Fedora, and I noticed the dropdown arrow disappeared. Now I know what you guys were talking about. It's bloody awful. Jesus, who in their right mind thought that this is a good idea? Un-freaking-believable.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Wait, why do people hate this change so much?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

Wait, why do people hate this change so much?

Some people used the arrow feature and have to change their muscle memory to just click in the box now. Others did not use that feature and were annoyed that it now pops up automatically when you focus the address bar. Still others used keyboard navigation to tab around starting with the address bar, and now they have to hit escape before they tab.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

astral posted:

Some people used the arrow feature and have to change their muscle memory to just click in the box now. Others did not use that feature and were annoyed that it now pops up automatically when you focus the address bar. Still others used keyboard navigation to tab around starting with the address bar, and now they have to hit escape before they tab.

Plus, it's a change that provides absolutely no benefit and it's asking something from the users when it didn't used to before. I didn't have to hit Esc before. Now I do. I didn't have to move the mouse to close the dropdown. Now I do. Is it hard to do that? No, but it is annoying to have to do it now when I didn't before.

On top of this, not only this is not an opt-in feature (as it should), but even the opt-out mechanism is hidden in about :config with the threat that it'll be removed at a later point. It should be an opt-in feature in the Preferences tab. Clearly marked with an explanation of what it does and how to undo it. First class citizen, not relegated to the bowels of about :config.

Please do change the browser, by improving it, by adding features and by adding options to the user to use or not said features. The goal should be to empower the user not to make these decisions in spite of the user. When they do make these one-sided decisions they not only do not attract new people but they also alienate the user-base that they do have.
I think. Maybe they just piss of me and everyone loves it. Dunno. I suppose they can make those decisions after seeing the telemetry data.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Volguus posted:

I think. Maybe they just piss of me and everyone loves it. Dunno. I suppose they can make those decisions after seeing the telemetry data.

I honestly think they either take the current userbase for granted or are convinced they're Stockholmed to the browser and won't leave no matter what.
"It's ok. I can change him it. It's for the better!"

And they obviously have no idea what users want, as demonstrated by all these wildly random changes that serve no real benefit other than change for the sake of change.

I've lamented before about the other browser options being Chrome (or derivatives) and Edge. But now it's going to become just Chrome and its derivatives or Firefox. And I seriously tried just dealing with Chrome on my work computer, but something about it just annoys me to no end, so I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with regard to browser choice.
I'm really annoyed that with every second major version I have to either re-learn muscle memory or dive into about :config and the idea of switching to a different browser altogether starts looking more and more enticing. Because at least then I know I'm going to have to deal with a large change and can mentally accept that, simply because I'm installing new software that I know will be different than what I'm used to.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Geemer posted:

I honestly think they either take the current userbase for granted or are convinced they're Stockholmed to the browser and won't leave no matter what.
"It's ok. I can change him it. It's for the better!"

And they obviously have no idea what users want, as demonstrated by all these wildly random changes that serve no real benefit other than change for the sake of change.

I've lamented before about the other browser options being Chrome (or derivatives) and Edge. But now it's going to become just Chrome and its derivatives or Firefox. And I seriously tried just dealing with Chrome on my work computer, but something about it just annoys me to no end, so I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with regard to browser choice.
I'm really annoyed that with every second major version I have to either re-learn muscle memory or dive into about :config and the idea of switching to a different browser altogether starts looking more and more enticing. Because at least then I know I'm going to have to deal with a large change and can mentally accept that, simply because I'm installing new software that I know will be different than what I'm used to.

This. What baffles me about Firefox is that they're constantly bleeding users, yet ignore user feedback on unpopular UI changes.

They don't need fancy underhanded telemetry -- just the direct user feedback from the betas and nightlies. All the "regular" users they're trying to attract by making it look like Chrome have already moved on (to Chrome) and couldn't give a crap what browser they're using, so their only userbase are the exact kind of sweaty nerds like myself that would be happy to try out the betas. Ignoring the beta feedback of "this UI is terrible" with the response "but regular users might learn to like it" is daft.

Honestly, the world would be in a better place if we just fed all the world's UI designers through a woodchipper and start again. I'm not against good UI changes were a specific need is addressed with a specific change, but after a decade of usability downgrades of preference removals, "simple UIs", huge negative whitespace, low contrast and "modern flat UIs" I'm getting tired. No one wants the old 90's Gnome 1 interface back, but surely we can do better than metro, material design and whatever the hell Firefox is now.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

astral posted:

Still others used keyboard navigation to tab around starting with the address bar, and now they have to hit escape before they tab.

You don't have to press Esc. You can just hit tab to move to the next control. The dropdown always clears when it loses focus.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Applebees posted:

You don't have to press Esc. You can just hit tab to move to the next control. The dropdown always clears when it loses focus.

Oh good, they fixed that one before 75 released. We can strike it from the list of various folks' gripes.

astral fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 11, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Has anyone else been having the problem where firefox nightly randomly corrupts its own profile every three or four days? I have no idea if my update settings (automatically install updates using a background service) are causing something to go wrong and corrupt everything or if this is just the intended nightly experience. Assuming that I'm loving something up here, how do I fix it?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
For some reason it took a whole Windows update reboot for my assome bar fix to assert itself. I'm just bemused at this point.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Mozilla: Since you people love the Megabar so much, here's a preview of the new Ultrabar, coming to Firefox 78!

Shamelessly stolen from reddit.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the rest of the bookmarks read.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

quote:

Using tab to navigate a list is clearly an antipattern that goes against all commonly accepted keyboard navigation standards.

Huh? Is this a thing now?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hit F7 for caret browsing!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

It looks like the config options for the new address bar are getting removed too. :shrug:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Pikestaff posted:

It looks like the config options for the new address bar are getting removed too. :shrug:

quote:

There's been so impressively much negative feedback that it's absolutely clear this isn't just the usual user annoyance at change.

Since then it's become clear that Mozilla is not prepared to listen to user feedback. Indeed, if they were, they'd have done so when people complained on their bug tracker—which they did, politely and eloquently, from the moment this Megabar landed in the experimental branches all the way through to today.

Their strategy seems to be to ignore all complaints until people just give up. There's a common UX fallacy that your new design is always right, and users who complain just "don't like change" regardless of what it is. This whole sub, a group of over 100,000 Firefox enthusiasts, has been dismissed as an "echo chamber" that's not worth paying attention to.

My problem with all this is that there's clearly a really deep lack of respect on the part of Mozilla's devs for their users.

Firefox will end up dead. Just the way Google wanted.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Lol that bug removing the option having every single comment about not wanting it removed hidden and then getting locked. Why even bother having the bug tracker publicly available?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Geemer posted:

Lol that bug removing the option having every single comment about not wanting it removed hidden and then getting locked. Why even bother having the bug tracker publicly available?

The people running that show are pretty gross.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Has anyone talked about which supposed usability issue this change was supposed to resolve?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, this loving sucks. I'm not loving going to use Chromium-based browsers, so I guess I'm stuck with w3m-img.

nielsm posted:

Has anyone talked about which supposed usability issue this change was supposed to resolve?
Of course not, because this has nothing to do with usability, it's just the classical Lennart Poettering strategy of forcing through a change, ignoring all feedback, and getting their way.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Just gonna :smug: self-quote here:

Klyith posted:

The browser.urlbar.update1 pref will probably not be available forever, as the awesomebar is another XUL holdover and they're removing those parts bit by bit.

In this case I'd rather move to the new thing and bash it into usability, and not rely on an old thing that mozilla is trying to get rid of.

nielsm posted:

Changing the urlbar isn't usability, it's removing stuff that relies on code they want to deprecate and remove. The XUL-removal project has been going on for years now, the extension-apocalypse back in v57 was the first cut. That's why the pref to revert is only sticking around for two versions: this is your grace period to find or make alternatives if you don't like the new thing.

Why they made the new megabar look and behave like it does, not just design the new thing to look like the old thing? I have no idea. That's the mozilla way.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

nielsm posted:

"Im a ~designer~ and i need to do something with all the hours I demand to be paid to doodle on an ipad"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYvsIenveTY

"comments are turned off"

https://blog.mozilla.org/opendesign/firefox-the-evolution-of-a-brand/

quote:

Tell us. We can take it.

As a living brand, Firefox will never be done. It will continue to evolve as we change and the world changes around us. We have to stretch our brand guidelines even further in the months ahead, so we’re interested in hearing your reaction to what we’ve done so far. Feel free to let us know in the comments below.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yep. I'm done here.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

Just gonna :smug: self-quote here:
Changing the urlbar isn't usability, it's removing stuff that relies on code they want to deprecate and remove. The XUL-removal project has been going on for years now, the extension-apocalypse back in v57 was the first cut. That's why the pref to revert is only sticking around for two versions: this is your grace period to find or make alternatives if you don't like the new thing.

Why they made the new megabar look and behave like it does, not just design the new thing to look like the old thing? I have no idea. That's the mozilla way.

Yeah, I'm cranky when software changes, but I'm more wary of the opt-in telemetry--however basic it may be, it's indicative of an internal attitude change--than the oddball user design choice.

It's still a really good browser for my uses and privacy concerns. I think it has a large enough nerdshare that I'd know well in advance of it becoming a real dumpster fire.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Mozilla just needs to die honestly, like a forest fire that's needed for new growth to happen, if there is demand for a privacy orientated opensource browser then one will happen, I'd much rather see something new show up on GitHub then keep watching where Firefox is heading.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Except there isn't enough demand for a privacy oriented browser. It's firefox or bust.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Firefox has an estimated number of work-hours on the order of 6000 person-years and an estimated cost of on the order of 350 million - partially because you have to remember that its history goes far further back than just Mozilla, it's all of Netscape and all the way back to NCSA Mosaic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've decided I can mostly live with the ugly growing for now, hoping that part will get changed. I'll stick with the non-XUL urlbar if that's going to be the future anyway. But I'm still disabling all the other dumb settings, especially browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus, browser.urlbar.update1.searchTips, and browser.urlbar.update1.view.stripHttps. Also browser.urlbar.update1.interventions but I have no idea what that's supposed to do, does anyone know?