Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I think people need to understand that, no hyperbole whatsoever, 2020 is fully cancelled. All of it. You think the county fair is going to happen? Parades and packed beaches on teh 4th of July? lmao. I don' expect to travel for loving Thanksgiving. Especially since a bunch of my my extended family are fully Koolaid drinking MAGA chuds.

The local county fair here is STILL "waiting on government guidance", as if it wouldn't be an unmitigated disaster to hold an event where 1.5 million people all share and touch the same poo poo for a month. A dozen or so people got infected and a toddler died last year from en e coli outbreak there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Sudden Valley is real lol

lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

I think people need to understand that, no hyperbole whatsoever, 2020 is fully cancelled. All of it. You think the county fair is going to happen? Parades and packed beaches on teh 4th of July? lmao. I don' expect to travel for loving Thanksgiving. Especially since a bunch of my my extended family are fully Koolaid drinking MAGA chuds.

The local county fair here is STILL "waiting on government guidance", as if it wouldn't be an unmitigated disaster to hold an event where 1.5 million people all share and touch the same poo poo for a month. A dozen or so people got infected and a toddler died last year from en e coli outbreak there.

What we have now is what we'll have until a vaccine is developed in 5 or 10 years and people's heads are just not remotely there

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was just spitballing coming up with a conspiracy theory that 5G helps kill the virus on surfaces and that the whole anti-EMF community is actually a long-term Russian astroturfing campaign to get people to avoid the healthy disinfecting power of wifi and cell tower signals.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

What we have now is what we'll have until a vaccine is developed in 5 or 10 years and people's heads are just not remotely there

dont forget, immunity to other coronaviruses lasts 3 to 15 months

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

shovelbum posted:

The vaccine should be there much faster than that but still, YEARS.

I was gonna do a 2 week solo trip around Japan this year. :(

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
in NZ we've reduced our new cases to 18, down from ~55 a day at peak. I expect it will jump up a bit after Easter though, as we get a dip during the weekend

maybe we can have christmas?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Piss Meridian posted:

in NZ we've reduced our new cases to 18, down from ~55 a day at peak. I expect it will jump up a bit after Easter though, as we get a dip during the weekend

maybe we can have christmas?

Christ you guys could be open for business in a month with good contract tracing, wish my job wasn't tied to the US

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

guitartorch posted:

I have N95 that I've been to the store with and when im done I just leave them on the floor of the car under the seat. Can I wear them again if they've been there for weeks or what

You can reuse it, but the virus remains infectious for at least a week (!) in the N95 masks tested in one study, so handle with care.

Do not attempt to disinfect with a wet cleaner because that will wreck the material’s fine structure and make it an ineffective filter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gary oldmans diary posted:

there should be self-quarantine not-"welcome" mats. has anyone jumped on this idea yet?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Chinatown posted:

You're not wrong. Another sad thing to think about is that a nontrivial chunk of the population will refuse the vaccine even if & when it's developed, which will make things a whole lot worse for everyone else.

It's certainly possible that this thing will put a big dent in the antivaxx movement eventually, but I doubt it will. I would love to be wrong about that, and I don't enjoy being cynical, but doubling and tripling down seems to be all the rage these days :smith:

Platystemon posted:

You can reuse it, but the virus remains infectious for at least a week (!) in the N95 masks tested in one study, so handle with care.

Do not attempt to disinfect with a wet cleaner because that will wreck the material’s fine structure and make it an ineffective filter.
Do you/we have any sense of how infectious we're talking here? Because I've heard this too, and I've seen the data on fomites, but I still dunno if we know how much virus is actually required to infect a human. Like, as far as I know, all these studies are done by infecting cell cultures. That's fine for showing that the virus is viable, but cell cultures don't have immune systems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 12, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Were they able to actually culture it or just detect material

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Zugzwang posted:

You're not wrong. Another sad thing to think about is that a nontrivial chunk of the population will refuse the vaccine even if & when it's developed, which will make things a whole lot worse for everyone else.

It's certainly possible that this thing will put a big dent in the antivaxx movement eventually, but I doubt it will. I would love to be wrong about that, and I don't enjoy being cynical, but doubling and tripling down seems to be all the rage these days ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You should be, realistically, EXTREMELY cynical. Look at the MAGA universe. People don't even want to do the drat census because BiG GOBMINT.

We would still have massive problems with a functioning federal government and a non-mentally ill president but this is an absolute nightmare considering the ghouls in charge of everything.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Can you link to this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I misremembered slightly and it was surgical masks, not N95 masks, but it ain’t just RNA.

Are N95s as bad as surgical masks? Who knows!

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 12, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Yeah gonna need a link for this.

Last I read it was like 3 days at most on surfaces.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

Chinatown posted:

I was gonna do a 2 week solo trip around Japan this year. :(

Forget it, Chinatown. It's Quarantine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah gonna need a link for this.

Last I read it was like 3 days at most on surfaces.

I linked the paper above.

Here is the salient graph.

Twenty‐four hour half‐life. :catstare:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

You should be, realistically, EXTREMELY cynical. Look at the MAGA universe. People don't even want to do the drat census because BiG GOBMINT.

We would still have massive problems with a functioning federal government and a non-mentally ill president but this is an absolute nightmare considering the ghouls in charge of everything.

Given that facts are considered partisan, this stress on the system, maybe a hurricane, some tornados, an earthquake for good measure, I'm wondering if this is it.

Would have been nice to last until 2026.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the latest medical news is that fox news and facebook spreads the virus

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
oh gently caress. I was just on the facebook.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zaurg posted:

RIP

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I wonder, how would the world handle a virus with a 100% death rate

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Blaise330 posted:

I wonder, how would the world handle a virus with a 100% death rate

One person survived rabies, and they think that was a fluke.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

EA Sports posted:

hey guys i thought alot about it and came to the conclusion if you can contract this through your mucosa peoples eyes are a major point of entry. eyeslids just swipe across the eyes and push debree towards mucosal tear ducts. pretty big flaw imo. also if ur circumsized ur dick head is mucosal so you should probably be wearing a condom when out in public.

:popeye:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My dad went to Walmart today so I made him wear a P100 half-face respirator. He said no one in the Walmart gave a flying gently caress, snotty kids running around (with both parents present, so not like one couldn't stay at home with the kids), arrows to direct lanes that everyone ignored to a T, fat people with the masks around their double chins and not their actual faces, a meth-head accosting everyone, staff and managers with no masks, and on and on.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Beachcomber posted:

One person survived rabies, and they think that was a fluke.

I mean a virus that spreads like corona and is 100% death. I won't even imagine airborne cause thats just lolulose

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Zero VGS posted:

My dad went to Walmart today so I made him wear a P100 half-face respirator. He said no one in the Walmart gave a flying gently caress, snotty kids running around (with both parents present, so not like one couldn't stay at home with the kids), arrows to direct lanes that everyone ignored to a T, fat people with the masks around their double chins and not their actual faces, a meth-head accosting everyone, staff and managers with no masks, and on and on.

Just get one of those drive through tests on the way out of the parking lot, duh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blaise330 posted:

I mean a virus that spreads like corona and is 100% death. I won't even imagine airborne cause thats just lolulose

If it takes long enough to present symptoms, everyone gets it before anyone knows the virus exists at all.

Imagine airborne HIV.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Blaise330 posted:

As evidenced, there would still be people scoping out sweet deals on cruises.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Blaise330 posted:

Mandatory lockdown for as long as it takes to run a course. National Guard/police/firefighter distribution of food parcels and shooting anyone who breaks quarantine.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

zaurg posted:

you're not supposed to touch ur facebook RIP.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

Mandatory lockdown for as long as it takes to run a course. National Guard/police/firefighter distribution of food parcels and shooting anyone who breaks quarantine.

We unironically should have done this already. We'd be done by now. Instead it's gonna be what, a year and a half to rip a bandaid off?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

so i know its GBS or whatever but could we not post poo poo like this? or am i missing something.

i cannot tell whats real anymore

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Chinatown posted:

so i know its GBS or whatever but could we not post poo poo like this? or am i missing something.

People aren't allowed to post satire on a comedy forum? Or has Trump made satire impossible.

edit: he ninja'ed in the second line

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

We unironically should have done this already. We'd be done by now. Instead it's gonna be what, a year and a half to rip a bandaid off?

People are 100% going to starve in their homes. Remember we aren't able to have enough masks delivered to the people who most need it.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Chinatown posted:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A cruise ship company recruiter reached out to me today and Im genuinely loving curious as to why they dont have deep hiring freezes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

unpacked robinhood posted:

People are 100% going to starve in their homes. Remember we aren't able to have enough masks delivered to the people who most need it.

Well, loving NEXT TIME, instead of $1200 stimulus checks, how about just $300 to give everyone an already-stockpiled gas mask, a block of govt cheese, and a 30-pack of Soylent. We'd be done in like two weeks.