Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ms Adequate posted:

All of this is enraging, but by far the worst slur that has been thrown at us according to this is calling Corbyn and his supporters "trots".

Absolutely loving disgraceful.

Trotsky would be a Lib Dem so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are there more than like ten trots in the entire UK? Who are these loving ancient fossils who think trots are still a thing? Pretty sure they stopped being a thing before I was loving born.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I thought some UKMT people might get a kick out of this article about the cool charts that were create to illustrate the impact of the 5 year plan:
https://medium.com/nightingale/exploring-soviet-isotypes-digitizing-the-struggle-for-five-years-in-four-50df7417a766

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Munin posted:

I thought some UKMT people might get a kick out of this article about the cool charts that were create to illustrate the impact of the 5 year plan:
https://medium.com/nightingale/exploring-soviet-isotypes-digitizing-the-struggle-for-five-years-in-four-50df7417a766

I guess it says somthing that the idea of any of those things increasing in this day and age is wild in and of itself.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

I was upset to learn that Gordon Bennet wasn't a cricket man that swore on television as my granny once told me.

Apparently it's from the same basic stuff as cor blimey and bloody and a load of other swears, just mild blasphemy that's been mangled through a few hundred years of english pronunciation.

Bring back "zounds!" imo

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

sebzilla posted:

Bring back "zounds!" imo

A word which I was always sure was made up for Spaceman Spiff!

E: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/zooterkins#English

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 12, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I recall zounds is a quanity below legion but above horde.

(it is a heroes of might and magic 2 joke)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Afaik these days a full 50% of people using the word cuck are leftists doing it ironically

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Starmer is on Sky News right now, and I'm sorry but he's absolutely loving useless. The presenter is spoon feeding him an opportunity to critique thr government but he won't be drawn on it, instead talking about 'not being party politicial, not opposition for opposition's sake'.

Now he's being pressed on what Labour's actual strategy is and he's totally floundering. We're right back to Miliband and the Labour offer being 'Tories, but half-hearted and incompetent'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
curious timing for this

https://twitter.com/judeinlondon2/status/1249091201954975744?s=20

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/hitlers-greatest-mistake-believing-publicity/

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tbf to him he did kill hitler so...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hopefully he releases it

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1249246604860801026?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Nobody who references Simpsons could be an evil newspaper

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I doubt he will, but it would be nice.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

ThomasPaine posted:

Afaik these days a full 50% of people using the word cuck are leftists doing it ironically

I believe the new hip word is simp

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1249067601126359041?s=20

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
/sigh “reeeee” on 4 chan/gab means “retarded” so no you probably shouldn’t be using it if you don’t want too come across as an edgy 14 year old incel tbh.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Read this through to the end

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-the-sun-newspaper?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if he's gotten many bites.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

And we wonder why people who just... follow their MP on twitter without knowing what they're actually doing... buy the bullshit.

Jesus loving christ burn twitter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean what's the alternative? Twitter is the main reason you know about the collusion, if you didn't the MPs would still be able to reach people but people would be far less well placed to reach each other across the country.

Why burn twitter when you could burn tories instead?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 12, 2020

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Spangly A posted:

gordon bennet was a drunk toff newspaper publisher who spunked shitloads of money on pr stunts and founded the first yank polo club. There's a street in paris named after him

so you say it if you're just too polite a 19th century cockney to even contract the lords name in vain

Didn't he delight in going into restaurants and whipping table cloths off other diners tables without permission? Actually, sounds p. cool.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

As I recall zounds is a quanity below legion but above horde.

(it is a heroes of might and magic 2 joke)

It's short for "God's wounds!" which is delightfully medieval

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

moostaffa posted:

I believe the new hip word is simp

Im all for AD2000 based burns.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Answers Me posted:

Now he's being pressed on what Labour's actual strategy is and he's totally floundering. We're right back to Miliband and the Labour offer being 'Tories, but half-hearted and incompetent'

My 2 cents on Starmer: I don't believe that he's some lurking right-winger, poised to purge the party and set it up as the Conservatives Mk2. His record shows him as a centre-left technocrat and I expect him to broadly continue along those lines. What does worry me is that I think he's over-cautious and unimaginative - we have an unprecedented opportunity right now to fundamentally change the ways things work in this country and my feeling is that Starmer will resoundingly fail to grasp it. I've got the dispiriting feeling that we're going to see Labour repeatedly outflanked on the left by the Tories, while Starmer prevaricates and hedges for fear of upsetting some focus-grouped demographic or other.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That weakness of vision and character also however makes his leadership extremely vulnerable to the ideological right wingers, so what he personally believes is irrelevant when the primary thing he believes in is cowardice.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1249263329505210368?s=20

Completely loving worthless.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

an invertebrate has more of a spine than this man

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if there would be a leadership challenge at some point, and moreover whether he'd lose based on being an utter waste of skin.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Cynical brain tells me that the Labour establishment would ratfuck the hell out of any leadership elections. They're mask off at this point.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if there would be a leadership challenge at some point, and moreover whether he'd lose based on being an utter waste of skin.

There's no particularly compelling left candidate, though. It would be Owen Smith in reverse.

Bring on Ash Sarkar MP

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sebzilla posted:

There's no particularly compelling left candidate, though. It would be Owen Smith in reverse.

Bring on Ash Sarkar MP

Akala MP

Majid Majid MP

(The former just won't happen and the latter would be running as a Green :()

OwlFancier posted:

I mean what's the alternative? Twitter is the main reason you know about the collusion, if you didn't the MPs would still be able to reach people but people would be far less well placed to reach each other across the country.

Why burn twitter when you could burn tories instead?

WOuld they, though?

They wouldn't have direct, personal lines to their constituents in the way that Twitter offers, not without paying money for it (e.g. through facebook) and without some expertise (again, most digital platforms are MUCH harder to operate than Twitter). They would have one unified message as a party, sure, but what I'm angry about is the hundreds of disparate messages, all of which sound like your friendly personable MP (who you otherwise only hear from on Commons headed paper when you write to them, which there's a 90+% chance you simply don't bother with), but of which you only see one, so you don't see that they're all spouting the same horseshit in the same context to their own constituents.

Not to mention this is like the oil companies' greenwashing money argument. I'd rather not have the collusion AND not know about its absence because it's not there to know about, than have it and know about it.

Twitter could be a good platform, with strong moderation and strong rules about how it can be used by public figures and corporations, and a leadership that kept it largely free of those influences, but as it is, it's largely an utter hellscape, and if its servers spontaneously combusted almost nothing of value would be lost.

And I'd be prepared to assert that the collusion wouldn't happen anywhere NEAR as strongly with a platform that was even a single step harder to use - Twitter is TRIVIAL to do this kind of thing on, to the point where even a luddite 65 year old tory MP whose brain is stewed in cocaine and booze all day can use it. Doing other platforms well requires more nous and training, twitter you just type and hit send.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 12, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I've heard variously that it's either screaming frogs or people with mental difficulties. Given the source though I'm inclined to believe it's usually used to mean the latter.

learnincurve posted:

/sigh “reeeee” on 4 chan/gab means “retarded” so no you probably shouldn’t be using it if you don’t want too come across as an edgy 14 year old incel tbh.

Re: eeeee

Frogs have had a special place in edgy forum culture going right back to our own :frogout: to :feelsgood:, which would later become emblematic of the alt-right via the chans.

The latter managed to Jim Jones themselves into a position where they believed, through a cross between self selecting news sources, continual oneupmanship, and Dorkins poisoning, that they were engaging in 'meme magic' that would change the world into a far right paradise (specifically one that would give them what they deserved as young white males, and not throw them into work camps as useless asocials like any actual historic far right paradise would have done).

They attributed this to the cult of kek, a frog deity that shares the name with a video game cipher for 'lol', but how much they actually believed this and how much was terminal irony disorder ymmv

You can channel kek by dancing to Italo-disco alone in your parents' basement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uRLJZxINAQ

Anyway, reee is the noise a frog makes to try to get predators to back off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQrjbRz3y7A

So out of this came the idea that you can get normies to stop engaging with you by screaming reeeeeeeee at them, which shockingly does work, culminating in a bunch of memelords taking over a children's playground, raising the kekistan flag, and screaming reee at anyone who came near them.

There was another comorbid meme called *autistic screeching* where the 'joke' is basically ablism and that anyone who doesn't agree with me (usually anyone who wants any kind of progressive change) is an autistic person going through communication breakdown.

The two ended up being conflated because the internet is terrible, but the people originally shouting reeee were not anything to do with the second one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Akala MP

Majid Majid MP

(The former just won't happen and the latter would be running as a Green :()

WOuld they, though?

They wouldn't have direct, personal lines to their constituents in the way that Twitter offers, not without paying money for it (e.g. through facebook) and without some expertise (again, most digital platforms are MUCH harder to operate than Twitter). They would have one unified message as a party, sure, but what I'm angry about is the hundreds of disparate messages, all of which sound like your friendly personable MP (who you otherwise only hear from on Commons headed paper when you write to them, which there's a 90+% chance you simply don't bother with), but of which you only see one, so you don't see that they're all spouting the same horseshit in the same context to their own constituents.

Not to mention this is like the oil companies' greenwashing money argument. I'd rather not have the collusion AND not know about its absence because it's not there to know about, than have it and know about it.

Twitter could be a good platform, with strong moderation and strong rules about how it can be used by public figures and corporations, and a leadership that kept it largely free of those influences, but as it is, it's largely an utter hellscape, and if its servers spontaneously combusted almost nothing of value would be lost.

And I'd be prepared to assert that the collusion wouldn't happen anywhere NEAR as strongly with a platform that was even a single step harder to use - Twitter is TRIVIAL to do this kind of thing on, to the point where even a luddite 65 year old tory MP whose brain is stewed in cocaine and booze all day can use it. Doing other platforms well requires more nous and training, twitter you just type and hit send.

If there wasn't a platform anyone could use and use to see and collate information, what would simply happen is that the tories would use existing or invent new methods by which to reach people, which yes, would cost money, but money is something they have as much of as they need. And they could also make it just as personable as they needed it to be. In fact they still do this every election.

The thing about twitter is that it makes it very easy to spot the collusion if you look, whereas the alternative simply gates all capability for that kind of review behind having the ability to scan many disparate sources and collate them and also mass publish your findings without the existence of a single high-usage location to do that. It encourages extremely low effort from the propagandists, while offering a much better ability for people with a few brain cells to find and collate information.

Your alternative, essentially, is hoping an investigative journalist for a national newspaper would report on tory disinformation campaigns for you to even know about them. Which I think you'll agree is a far bleaker vision than the one we live in.

There will always be people too stupid to recognize obvious propaganda but it seems weird to me to want to return to a time when you didn't have the fact the government and the press is clearly all morons blasted in your face 24/7 because they're all on twitter displaying it to the world.

I guess that like, soviet twitter might be better but the idea of a central authority deciding who gets to do what on the global communication platform seems like it would be impossible to keep out of the grubby little mitts of capital and its lackeys. So necessarily I think the only insurance is people developing networks to help them interpret information they're exposed to. So you're not getting your news from your MP, you're getting your news from a network of people who can all keep each other straight. And yeah oftentimes they all keep each other wonky instead, but that's a problem of human organization.

Like there's a bunch wrong with twitter but fundamentally it does offer an unprecedented equality of platform. Before that there was literally only the press and that enormously favours the bourgeois, as you know. Like imagine twitter but if if laura kuenssberg literally was the only one allowed to post.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 12, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Your alternative, essentially, is hoping an investigative journalist for a national newspaper would report on tory disinformation campaigns for you to even know about them. Which I think you'll agree is a far bleaker vision than the one we live in.

I used to be a Journalist. For the Times. I know I can investigate the messages. And reveal the collusion.

[Journalistic equivalent of missing the spaceship]

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

They made a documentary about the original artist of Pepe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9l7km6A9EQ

I think I realised I stopped caring about the internet as much after reading about all that meme magic and all that Q poo poo. I went for a walk the other day and some guy ended up chatting to me about Q and how this weekend was going to be world changing, bla bla bla. It's sort of sad that a community so steeped in irony don't even know what they believe any more and end up attracting people who just see it all at face value.

At least when I see it referenced I can usually tell the person referencing it is probably a bad un.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

If there wasn't a platform anyone could use and use to see and collate information, what would simply happen is that the tories would use existing or invent new methods by which to reach people, which yes, would cost money, but money is something they have as much of as they need. And they could also make it just as personable as they needed it to be. In fact they still do this every election.

The thing about twitter is that it makes it very easy to spot the collusion if you look, whereas the alternative simply gates all capability for that kind of review behind having the ability to scan many disparate sources and collate them and also mass publish your findings without the existence of a single high-usage location to do that. It encourages extremely low effort from the propagandists, while offering a much better ability for people with a few brain cells to find and collate information.

My actual alternative would be Twitter, but run by people who aren't directly colluding with fascists and right-wing pundits to do exactly this kind of bullshit, and who are willing to actually moderate it, but like most of this discussion, it's looking at counterfactuals and trying to assert things about them.

I'd also note that an invesitgate journalist doing their job shouldn't be a bleak loving vision, and the fact that it is, is part of the problem. If we had any meaningful media plurality or media monopoly controls in this country, perhaps we'd actually HAVE some chance of the people who need to understand the propaganda engine, understanding it.

Because as it stands, woohoo, I, a terminally online leftist who already trusts tories as far as I could spit them, am aware of this only because I follow this forum. If I used twitter, i don't know if I would have seen it, but I somehow doubt it, because it would require me to have followed one of a relatively small number of accounts that post about it.

If I was a relatively un-engaged person who didn't Follow Political Twitter, but used it to talk to their mates, follow a couple of celebrities, and happened to follow their MP because they are their MP, I wouldn't see it at all. I would have to rely on that non-existent journalist to break t to me that it's not just my MP who is pretending to think Kier Starmer is a dick for talking about PPE in a political context, because ALL I would see was my MP apparently saying it's mean to bring politics into this, when the nurses have plenty of PPE.

The idea that a small number of people on twitter essentially DOING this kind of investigative journalism will actually expose it in any meaningful capacity to the people being propagandised to seems... questionable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's questionable precisely because people aren't organized into groups which spread that information where it needs to go, but it's infinitely more available than it has ever been, the information is there and people collate it, even if twitter is run by nazis this still happens.

If you can't get people to use twitter of all things to access better information sources then... how the gently caress does leftism work at all? If getting people to follow an account is impossible to the point you need a pre-existing central leftism authority to mandate everyone be bombarded by the true soviet facts for a couple of hours every day then we're already loving doomed. It's a platform designed to create networks.

The atomization of society isn't going away, you can't wish that out of existence, but the internet in general for the first time in a long while, affords people a genuine opportunity to access information they need, information not exclusively controlled by the rich. The challenge has gone from actual, forceful information blackout of things they don't want you to know, to merely information diffusion among a sea of useless garbage, but even this itself is something that the internet constantly works to give you the tools to cut through, because it's the same problem inherent in any massive information archive, how do you get the stuff you want?

Political disengagement isn't something that's caused by twitter, if those people weren't on twitter hearing that they'd be reading it in the paper or watching it on the BBC, but as it stands you have, under almost every article or tweet, some rear end in a top hat saying "no gently caress you and gently caress the tories this is bullshit" which is something you literally never had when it was the press and the TV. It seems really weird to me to say that's somehow worse than the actual until-recently-real alternative world of like, 2010.

It is, in a quite meaningful sense, information anarchy. And yes, capital is trying and managing to leverage its abilities to make new ways of maintaining hegemonic control in that landscape, but it's in a far weaker position to do that than it's been in a long time, which is in no small part why liberalism is coming apart at the seams.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 12, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Re: eeeee

Frogs have had a special place in edgy forum culture going right back to our own :frogout: to :feelsgood:, which would later become emblematic of the alt-right via the chans.

It goes back one step further to that hilarious "find the frog in the softcore Next Door Nikki porn" thing, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that's the photo shoot that the get out frog icon came from.