Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I just came in to point out that The UK is currently losing people at a daily rate significantly faster than than it took military deaths during WW1 on average.

It's not quite up to the daily tolls of Passchendaele or The Somme yet, so there is still something to aim for.

E: gently caress, what a snipe to start the page with.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

If any of you like good independent dive bars Bradley's is struggling in lockdown, you can help here
https://www.gofundme.com/f/keep-bradleys-spanish-bar-alive
I loving love that place, I painted the logo on the shutter last year and did their t-shirt artwork for them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ReelBigLizard posted:

I just came in to point out that The UK is currently losing people at a daily rate significantly faster than than it took military casualties during WW1 on average.

It's not quite up to the daily tolls of Passchendaele or The Somme yet, so there is still something to aim for.

E: gently caress, what a snipe to start the page with.

Military deaths or casualties?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
more police being stupid fash bastards

quote:

A hospital trust has said it was forced intervene with Cambridgeshire police after officers stopped staff on their way to work and told them NHS ID cards were insufficient evidence of essential travel.

In its newsletter, seen by the Guardian, bosses at Cambridge University hospitals foundation trust said they had received reports from staff who had been “stopped by the police on their way to work and asked to confirm if their travel was essential.” The newsletter went on:

When staff showed their NHS ID and said they were on their way into or from work, they were advised by the police officers that this was insufficient evidence of essential travel.

Following these reports the Trust has been in discussions with Cambridgeshire Constabulary. It has confirmed it will remind all police officers that such an explanation together with an NHS ID badge is sufficient evidence.

Cambridgeshire police was forced to apologise on Friday after officers sent a tweet saying they had been checking “non essential aisles” of a local supermarket to make sure they were empty

I completely support shutting down society and non-essential travel, but it is worrying (if not very surprising) how quickly and eagerly the police seem to have seized the opportunity to turn into the Gestapo's idiot cousins

not to mention the impromptu informer networks dobbing their neighbours

hopefully this will all go back in the box after the lockdown ends

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

XMNN posted:

I completely support shutting down society and non-essential travel, but it is worrying (if not very surprising) how quickly and eagerly the police seem to have seized the opportunity to turn into the Gestapo's idiot cousins

How the heck would an essential worker who is not in the NHS with an ID card prove it then? I have various friends not in 'uniformed' jobs who are deemed essential workers but have desk-based jobs in various different organisations that are keeping the UK going under lockdown!

Apparently police were out in our town yesterday (we're a bit of a tourism hotspot this time of year). But I haven't been out for 3 days now (those hayfever tablets supposedly non-drowsy made me extremely sleepy so I've come off them again and hope I'll be up for a walk this afternoon or tomorrow!)

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How the heck would an essential worker who is not in the NHS with an ID card prove it then?

I work in the Co-Op, they've given us a letter on headed paper signed by the shop manager.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've got a letter from work if we need to go to the data centres or office.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/searinglight2/status/1249138764867424257?s=20

(Reply to Saunders tweet says 'no truth to rumour' - guess we'll have to wait and see!)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

XMNN posted:

I'm not doing a Coohoolie thing here but Police Scotland seem to being noticeably less Gestapo about all this than several constabularies down south.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
So many melts online defending tory-led eugenics

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How the heck would an essential worker who is not in the NHS with an ID card prove it then? I have various friends not in 'uniformed' jobs who are deemed essential workers but have desk-based jobs in various different organisations that are keeping the UK going under lockdown!

Apparently police were out in our town yesterday (we're a bit of a tourism hotspot this time of year). But I haven't been out for 3 days now (those hayfever tablets supposedly non-drowsy made me extremely sleepy so I've come off them again and hope I'll be up for a walk this afternoon or tomorrow!)

my work have provided me with a letter, but it looks like it's basically up to the whim of the officers involved so who knows if that would be sufficient

(sort of) fortunately I went off ill just before the crisis got really real and have been pseudo-working from home so I haven't had to test it out, and my commute is on the motorway where I hope they're less likely to flag you down

I went for my semi-government approved walk up to the park yesterday and a police van drove up the access road as I was going up it. I'd seen them coming out a few days ago, so I wandered towards the carpark to see what they were up to (just in case they were going to head into the woods and I'd have to keep an eye out for them :350:) and they literally just turned around.

I guess they were just checking if the car park was full, but they can't have even got out and had a quick look in the main bit of the park given how fast they came back, so I'm not sure what the point was.

The park is emptier than normal on the weekends, but there's still the downhill bikers using it in groups (although smaller than usual) which is probably not a great idea even if they do live together, given how badly you can gently caress yourself up coming off them. Plus the cunts shouldn't be there at any time really, especially as they dig up paths to make jumps and poo poo and are a general menace to other people using the park. :argh:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Just had to check what Derbyshire police are up to and it looks like they stopped flying drones over the moors and now portable BBQs have set them on fire, twice. Which is nice.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Failed Imagineer posted:

Military deaths or casualties?

I mistyped, it is deaths. I haven't compared known infected rates vs. WW1 daily casualties, I imagine it's a lot worse.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

how the gently caress does leftism work at all?
A question I've been asking myself and other leftists for a decade. If you have an answer I'd be glad to hear it.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Perhaps more relevantly, how are people supopsed to go loving shopping?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Failed Imagineer posted:

"Cucked" has spread pretty far. Wouldn't be surprised if there was reference to what a cucked year it's been in the Queen's Speech

One of the few things I argue with a close friend about is that word. It gives me such a gross feeling all over, the awful racial element, etc, he insists it's funny and a great way to describe weak people doing lovely things.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Vitamin P posted:

Absolute bullshit, there were lots of people on this very forum that correctly noticed the name Change UK was funny as gently caress stop lying, and if 'reee' is a specific reference to autistic people then it's news to me I've only known it as animalistic frustration noise reference.

I don't believe you don't know what you're doing you blueshirt nazi gently caress

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

thespaceinvader posted:

A question I've been asking myself and other leftists for a decade. If you have an answer I'd be glad to hear it.

Perhaps more relevantly, how are people supopsed to go loving shopping?

I'd start by being white and middle class

I was going to say this would be easier if they made us sign our own permission form like they are in Italy, at the moment it's just "you can only leave for certain reasons" and then it seems to be just up to the police deciding what that means and how they're going to enforce it. There's literally no mention of having to prove what you're up to on the government website or my local police one and they also don't say what constitutes sufficient evidence that your journey is essential (or even that you need evidence)

but in reality they would still use it as an opportunity to harass people they don't like the look of because that's the scorpion nature of the policeman

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

XMNN posted:

I'd start by being white and middle class

I was going to say this would be easier if they made us sign our own permission form like they are in Italy, at the moment it's just "you can only leave for certain reasons" and then it seems to be just up to the police deciding what that means and how they're going to enforce it. There's literally no mention of having to prove what you're up to on the government website or my local police one and they also don't say what constitutes sufficient evidence that your journey is essential (or even that you need evidence)

but in reality they would still use it as an opportunity to harass people they don't like the look of because that's the scorpion nature of the policeman

Well yeah, that's how I do it.

Equally, I don't think I've even seen a police car between here and either of the shops I go to routinely.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Coohoolin posted:

One of the few things I argue with a close friend about is that word. It gives me such a gross feeling all over, the awful racial element, etc, he insists it's funny and a great way to describe weak people doing lovely things.

I hate it because it’s exclusively used by cishet misogynist morons. Everything about that word In every context treats women as property.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Guavanaut posted:

The two ended up being conflated because the internet is terrible, but the people originally shouting reeee were not anything to do with the second one.

I don't see any reason to believe that. The people who want to use meme magic to usher in a global fascist hegemony are also perfectly capable of using their frog story as a cover for the latter.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it rules that a thousand people die a day and the press is so busy championing wartime pm boris johnson that they forget to report it lol

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Vitamin P posted:

Absolute bullshit, there were lots of people on this very forum that correctly noticed the name Change UK was funny as gently caress stop lying, and if 'reee' is a specific reference to autistic people then it's news to me I've only known it as animalistic frustration noise reference.

It is 100% a thing making fun of autistic people and had been for years and years pm the chan boards, so consider yourself better informed now.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

learnincurve posted:

I hate it because it’s exclusively used by cishet misogynist morons. Everything about that word In every context treats women as property.

Also with the added flavour of racist overtones. It's a garbage term for garbage people.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not doing a Coohoolie thing here but Police Scotland seem to being noticeably less Gestapo about all this than several constabularies down south.

Something about the water in the East Midlands (and Cambridge), apparently. The Met have been surprisingly chill afaik.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Very sad news, which I have chosen to deliver in a way that would upset Pissflaps, I hope it helps:

https://twitter.com/realrossnoble/status/1249310691439177730?s=19

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Munin posted:

I thought some UKMT people might get a kick out of this article about the cool charts that were create to illustrate the impact of the 5 year plan:
https://medium.com/nightingale/exploring-soviet-isotypes-digitizing-the-struggle-for-five-years-in-four-50df7417a766

Thanks!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That main pic with the boxing gloves is meant to make him look virile and powerful, right? I'm not gonna get into what it actually conveys to me for fear of doing an ableism, but it's not "competent adult who should be running a country". It's pretty much of a piece with the picture of Trump in the cab of a truck screaming.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It's pretty cool that they are calling both their PM and the 78 thousand other Britons who've gotten COVID, wimps. Especially the 10k who've croaked. WIMPS!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nenonen posted:

It's pretty cool that they are calling both their PM and the 78 thousand other Britons who've gotten COVID, wimps. Especially the 10k who've croaked. WIMPS!

Even the most charitable interpretation is that this is merely the personal opinion of the man running the country, in which case... :thumbsup:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
BJ been let out of hospital and taken to Chequers to die peacefully at home continue his recovery

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesla was right posted:

I don't see any reason to believe that. The people who want to use meme magic to usher in a global fascist hegemony are also perfectly capable of using their frog story as a cover for the latter.
To be honest I don't think they are.

Every other time they've tried to be 'clever', like using clovergender to conflate trans/NB people with pedophiles or setting up fake woke twitters to screenshot themselves and say "this is what the left actually believe" or spreading #EndFathersDay as a thing feminists believe they've left so many tells in that it's been obvious and/or they've been caught talking about it on publicly visible forums.

Reee started entirely as a frog thing, not even chan-specific, there was some of it in these very forums.

Then the alt-right started using it as a version of the rebel yell for 21st century nazi dipshits, and any later conflation with the *autistic screeching* chan meme was just a social shift, not a deliberate cover up.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 12, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

To be honest I don't think they are.

Every other time they've tried to be 'clever', like using clovergender to conflate trans/NB people with pedophiles or setting up fake woke twitters to screenshot themselves and say "this is what the left actually believe" to spreading #EndFathersDay as a thing feminists believe they've left so many tells in that it's been obvious and/or they've been caught talking about it on publicly visible forums.

Reee started entirely as a frog thing, not even chan-specific, there was some of it in these very forums.

Then the alt-right started using it as a version of the rebel yell for 21st century nazi dipshits, and any later conflation with the *autistic screeching* chan meme was just a social shift, not a deliberate cover up.

It's literally this frog:

https://twitter.com/AAAAAAGGHHHH/status/1246870912126853121

(Which doesn't really add anything to the discussion but it's absolutely hilarious)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/bdmcclay/status/1249246445527535617?s=20

The all time great tweet

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Bardeh posted:

BJ been let out of hospital and taken to Chequers to die peacefully at home continue his recovery

He that was ventilated, was raised on the third day, according to the Scriptures of the Daily Mail.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

The all time great tweet
That's pretty lol, but the US government reaction to vaping has been amazingly stupid.

Some people got sick because of additives like diacetyl, or because of black market THC vape juices that contained lung damaging ingredients.

Some other people got sick because of nicotine free vape juice, nicotine is toxic as poo poo to all life* and so even low nicotine vape juice is basically bacteriostatic, whereas nicotine free juice (especially if you make your own and reuse containers) can become a petri dish that you inhale.

The US solution was to go after flavored vape juice, not the ones that were actually causing the problems. :hotpickle:

*Except plants in the nightshade family for obvious reasons, and the bacteria that causes Lyme disease for non-obvious reasons :shrug:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Cambridgeshire represent!

A.C.A.B.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(those hayfever tablets supposedly non-drowsy made me extremely sleepy so I've come off them again and hope I'll be up for a walk this afternoon or tomorrow!)

For future reference, "non-drowsy" usually just means "we added caffeine".

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

That's pretty lol, but the US government reaction to vaping has been amazingly stupid.

Some people got sick because of additives like diacetyl, or because of black market THC vape juices that contained lung damaging ingredients.

Some other people got sick because of nicotine free vape juice, nicotine is toxic as poo poo to all life* and so even low nicotine vape juice is basically bacteriostatic, whereas nicotine free juice (especially if you make your own and reuse containers) can become a petri dish that you inhale.

The US solution was to go after flavored vape juice, not the ones that were actually causing the problems. :hotpickle:

*Except plants in the nightshade family for obvious reasons, and the bacteria that causes Lyme disease for non-obvious reasons :shrug:

I've always wondered whether something like legionella would make it through a vape, or whether it would be denatured. Sigh, if I had the time, funding, and access to a class 2 laboratory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

feedmegin posted:

Something about the water in the East Midlands (and Cambridge), apparently. The Met have been surprisingly chill afaik.

Even though there's a lockdown there's still stabbings and poo poo going on so they might have better things to do. Haven't seen much police around our neighbourhood at all. They must be so glad there's a long weekend and for once there's not hordes of people outside getting drunk all day lmao