Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

BurningChrome posted:

hey what isley brothers song should I bump on the Bluetooth speaker whenever the apt upstairs starts up

Addendum: technically a current event in the current events thread

the answer is contagious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.
gently caress Robert Kelly (don't) btw

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

you good?

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Patware posted:

you good?

yeah I was just high af. It's just a daily thing here in the city: sirens everyday, neighbors bumping uglies every night. It's amusing

BurningChrome fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 12, 2020

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

This series of posts is enough to validate overpaying to ensure I didn't share walls or ceilings with people I don't know. Never again.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Working with nurses and paramedics has convinced me that they aren't any smarter than the average person when it comes to Covid. Which makes sense since that's not their area of expertise, but Jesus, it's like Fox News out there.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

SquirrelyPSU posted:

This series of posts is enough to validate overpaying to ensure I didn't share walls or ceilings with people I don't know. Never again.

Its honestly just the quarantine but yeah bro. Throughout this, I've been lit on and off. The first thing I noticed is that I have yet to have a day without hearing sirens. The second was the neighbor's weak rear end stroke game. But it wasn't weak last night! LOL

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

BurningChrome posted:

the answer is contagious

it really was the best song too: the name + being about stepping out at 2am really fit the moment perfectly

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
America now outdoing Italy in official recorded deaths.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-s-covid-19-deaths-highest-in-world-1.5529861

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm not quite sure where the statements of optimism from Cuomo last week came from, NY has been pushing like 800 deaths per day, so I guess the rate of new cases / hospitalization is receding somehow?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm not quite sure where the statements of optimism from Cuomo last week came from, NY has been pushing like 800 deaths per day, so I guess the rate of new cases / hospitalization is receding somehow?

The rate of hospitalization is down, it’s a leading indicator versus deaths, which is kind of lagging.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
its easter weekend and thanks to state's ridiculous religious exemptions, the only direction the cases are going is up, up, UP

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1249295427394064385?s=19

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I know he doesn't require silly things like facts or logic, but is there any merit to this at all besides strong daddy said so and the lieberals will win if we allow it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GoGoGadget posted:

I know he doesn't require silly things like facts or logic, but is there any merit to this at all besides strong daddy said so and the lieberals will win if we allow it?

Trump himself votes by mail. It's only because republicans want as few people voting as possible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I like that it's crime AND voter fraud. What other crime?

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

mlmp08 posted:

I like that it's crime AND voter fraud. What other crime?

The crime of winning, against him

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

What in the blue gently caress is this even supposed to mean:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1249118778404765696

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What in the blue gently caress is this even supposed to mean:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1249118778404765696

As is common, it's a weird almagamum of things that are half true that either he does not understand or is deliberately misleading about.

Evidence suggests that the greatest proximate source of infection in NYC was from travelers coming from Europe. Sure, those travelers probably got it through some series of events leading back to Wuhan, but the point of these traces is to figure out how to manage pandemics not to have someone just angrily point out the address of "patient 0" or whatever. If my city has a pox outbreak, it's not very useful to point out that the version of pox originally came from some other continent long ago.

IIRC the China threatened to or had some NYT reporters expelled from China after questioning the Chinese government's line about rate of infection, number of deaths, etc. China's official reasoning for threatening the explusion of journalists was that the Trump administration announced it would limit the number of Chinese media personnel allowed inside the USA. China expelled 3 WSJ reporters a few weeks back.

quote:

“We urge the United States to immediately change its course, correct mistakes, and stop political suppression and unreasonable restrictions on Chinese media,” Mr. Geng said. “If the United States insists on taking its own course, compounding mistakes, China will be forced to take further countermeasures.”

quote:

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration on Monday limited to 100 the number of Chinese citizens who may work in the United States for five state-controlled Chinese news organizations. The decision is expected to escalate tensions between Washington and Beijing in a diplomatic feud that has caught journalists in the crossfire.

The State Department insisted that it was not expelling Chinese journalists, a step that Beijing took last month against three Wall Street Journal reporters — the first time foreign correspondents had been ordered to leave China since 1998.

But the new limits could, in effect, force Chinese citizens to leave if their visas allowing them to work in the United States are tied to the news organizations that must now choose which employees will remain on assignment in the United States.

In a statement, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States would not restrict the content of what the five organizations report — a contrast to what he described as increased surveillance, harassment and intimidation of foreign journalists in China.

So basically the president is screaming at the NYT for pointing out that COVID-19 came to NYC from Europe and arguing that the NYT should be pinning blame on China instead, while mocking the NYT for supposedly being pro-PRC despite the PRC being unfair to open media.

So it's basically a dumb rant born of half-way real events.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Can we just go ahead and install Tom Hanks as Supreme Overlord

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Also it was Dr. Fauci, only adult on the Corona Virus Task Force, who corroborated that the vector for infection most likely came to NY from Italy. Washington State was a direct China infection, but NY was infected by people from Italy, which shows how weak and late Trump was with his travel ban.

The article in question.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/science/new-york-coronavirus-cases-europe-genomes.html

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Just going to keep saying this each time it pops up, Trump voted by mail less than a month ago.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Just going to keep saying this each time it pops up, Trump voted by mail less than a month ago.
But he's not one of THOSE people so it's ok.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Because Brown Moses exists, I assume there's some person at home just watching his or her kid quietly and charting every lie and conceit that this guy spews for use at his hopeful eventual public shaming.

I'd prefer the stockade and old tomatoes, but I'm up for suggestions.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Because Brown Moses exists, I assume there's some person at home just watching his or her kid quietly and charting every lie and conceit that this guy spews for use at his hopeful eventual public shaming.

I'd prefer the stockade and old tomatoes, but I'm up for suggestions.

https://twitter.com/ddale8

He live tweets the discrepancies to reality from most Trump events.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Happy happy!

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/1249375950564777984?s=19

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

God bless Chuck Tingle.

:grovertoot: still relevant

https://twitter.com/coherentstates/status/1249059217392013312

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i love how our lovely ex-mod's dumb house became famous around the internet

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

like, grover's gently caress ups are world famous

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hisutt...Qk#4a2d89ca7f4d

russian inspired indeed

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

As is common, it's a weird almagamum of things that are half true that either he does not understand or is deliberately misleading about.

Evidence suggests that the greatest proximate source of infection in NYC was from travelers coming from Europe. Sure, those travelers probably got it through some series of events leading back to Wuhan, but the point of these traces is to figure out how to manage pandemics not to have someone just angrily point out the address of "patient 0" or whatever. If my city has a pox outbreak, it's not very useful to point out that the version of pox originally came from some other continent long ago.

IIRC the China threatened to or had some NYT reporters expelled from China after questioning the Chinese government's line about rate of infection, number of deaths, etc. China's official reasoning for threatening the explusion of journalists was that the Trump administration announced it would limit the number of Chinese media personnel allowed inside the USA. China expelled 3 WSJ reporters a few weeks back.

So basically the president is screaming at the NYT for pointing out that COVID-19 came to NYC from Europe and arguing that the NYT should be pinning blame on China instead, while mocking the NYT for supposedly being pro-PRC despite the PRC being unfair to open media.

So it's basically a dumb rant born of half-way real events.

poo poo like this doesn’t help either: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/asia/china-coronavirus-research-restrictions-intl-hnk/index.html

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Lmfuckingao. Does it need to be towed around too?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Shkreli’s plea from prison: Free me and I’ll cure COVID-19

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Woman's plea from outside prison: I was on Assange's legal team and decided to have two children with him, free him or ???

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oh my god he’s so loving gross.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Pretty gross of her too tbh, those poor kids :smith:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

r/WSB is back to providing top-tier content.

1: This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7sBsBHdCk

2: A valley techbro with $15,000/mo in workplace disability benefits turns $400,000 into a 1.3 million debt
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/flhb0d/i_failed_my_portfolio_margin_call_final_damage/

quote:

"Initial deposit was $400k. I'm on portfolio margin and UPRO had a 36% maintenance margin requirement (initial is the same.) TMF had a 24% maintenance margin requirement (initial is also the same.) TDA applied a bond-stock margin maintenance reduction credit of 90%, so multiply maintenance by .10. So UPRO maint was down to 3.6%, TMF 2.4%.

I was a complete dumbass and levered the portfolio up 8x, borrowing $2.8 million on my $400k deposit.

Apparently since I used box spreads to finance it TDA saw no margin loan and left the account alone. I got a 5 day portfolio margin call when it was red and I didn't have $125k equity, but whoever I got in risk management didn't realize what I was doing and gave me 5 days to slide. Of course I didn't have extra funds to wire in so I just let it sit."

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 12, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

r/WSB is back to providing top-tier content.

2: A valley techbro with $15,000/mo in workplace disability benefits turns $400,000 into a 1.3 million debt
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/flhb0d/i_failed_my_portfolio_margin_call_final_damage/

quote:

I talked with the bankruptcy lawyer that set me up with the asset protection plan and he already dropped me as a client.

lmao more of this please

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fallom posted:

lmao more of this please

According to this post from two weeks earlier bragging about the exploit he found, he could've gone fifty mil in the hole if he tried harder.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/fepd4q/portfolio_margin_is_10x_worse_than_u1r0nymans_box/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

According to this post from two weeks earlier bragging about the exploit he found, he could've gone fifty mil in the hole if he tried harder.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/fepd4q/portfolio_margin_is_10x_worse_than_u1r0nymans_box/

oh my god the stock market is just an MMORPG, we're all so screwed