Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Previous incarnations of this thread have included the phrase "degloving of the penis."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
From a FB group I stalk for work purposes:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chitoryu12 posted:

Previous incarnations of this thread have included the phrase "degloving of the penis."

No glove, no love.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

During my first week of mechanic's trade school, they told us not to gently caress about with compressed air, not to gently caress about with bearings and definitely not to gently caress about with compressed air and bearings. A dude in second year clearly missed that class and as another student was walking over to tell him why it was a bad idea to spin up a bearing on his little finger with compressed air regardless of the cool noise it made, it seized and twisted his fingat straight off. I didn't see the end result but the high pitched whizzing whine of the bearing was replaced by a high pitched wheezing scream from the student. Didn't see him again after that.

Well, now he'll never be Dr. Evil for halloween.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Memento posted:

During my first week of mechanic's trade school, they told us not to gently caress about with compressed air, not to gently caress about with bearings and definitely not to gently caress about with compressed air and bearings. A dude in second year clearly missed that class and as another student was walking over to tell him why it was a bad idea to spin up a bearing on his little finger with compressed air regardless of the cool noise it made, it seized and twisted his fingat straight off. I didn't see the end result but the high pitched whizzing whine of the bearing was replaced by a high pitched wheezing scream from the student. Didn't see him again after that.

I wonder if it's possible to adapt this to a stuck fastener.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think my first introduction to what "degloving" meant was a description of some kind of accident, and I can't remember if it was factory-related or what, that involved a woman's hair getting caught in some kind of machinery and her being scalped, like forehead to nape of the neck. After that every other example of it that I have heard has only served to drive home the point it is one of the more horrifying words there is.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
The first time I ever heard he term was someone that had gotten a metallic wedding ring between 2 high voltage terminals in an aircraft wiring harness and cooked their finger like one of those 1950's hotdog cookers and basically all the flesh came off when they finally got it out.

The pictures will probably stay with me until they day I die.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Degloving is an amazingly evocative medical term, up there with "injuries not compatible with life"

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I heard the term devolving in reference to someone dunking a basketball and getting a ring stuck on a net hook or something. Not sure if that was actually possible though

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, you put a lot of weight on a small portion of the body and a metal thing with potentially sharp edges and I'm pretty sure it'll remove itself from the body fairly quickly. Hell, there used to be problems with the hangman noose being too tall or long and popping the heads off the people getting hung. I can easily imagine a ring doing some damage during the drop from the net to the ground.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Sankis posted:

Degloving is an amazingly evocative medical term, up there with "injuries not compatible with life"

“morselized”

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Penile bifurcation

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ak Gara posted:

Penile bifurcation

Conan! What is best in life?

(about seven people on the planet will get that reference, and I doubt any of them post here)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

EoinCannon posted:

I heard the term devolving in reference to someone dunking a basketball and getting a ring stuck on a net hook or something. Not sure if that was actually possible though

Completely plausible. My brother almost had it happen to him when jumping down from a warehouse shelf and his wedding ring got caught on a hook of some sort. Thankfully it was a cheap ring that deformed and he got away with a broken knuckle instead of losing a fingat.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ak Gara posted:

Penile bifurcation

people do this on purpose sometimes

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JuZfMio.mp4

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How hard is it to get into things like researching human factors?

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Following correct procedure by wearing helmets, and not going onto the top step. 10/10.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Frazzbo posted:

Following correct procedure by wearing helmets, and not going onto the top step. 10/10.

I mean, they obviously know what they're doing. Sun maintenance is not some fly-by-night operation.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I dunno, you put a lot of weight on a small portion of the body and a metal thing with potentially sharp edges and I'm pretty sure it'll remove itself from the body fairly quickly. Hell, there used to be problems with the hangman noose being too tall or long and popping the heads off the people getting hung. I can easily imagine a ring doing some damage during the drop from the net to the ground.
:eng101: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Table_of_Drops

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Lol at it capping out at like 200lbs

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Fatkraken posted:

Time for another goon project.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Fatkraken posted:

Would be OSHA to hang someone heavier than that. Guidelines say to use the guillotine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sankis posted:

I’ve gotten to use that phrase twice as an EMT, both from car accidents.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve gotten to use that phrase twice as an EMT, both from car accidents.

In one of Randall Munroe's "What Ifs?" someone asked him what would happen if you focused all of the sun's energy at a single point, and how you would die if you were standing there. His response has always stuck with me: "You don't die of anything in the traditional sense. You just stop being biology and start being physics."

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Memento posted:

(about seven people on the planet will get that reference, and I doubt any of them post here)

To crush your enemy, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Explosionface posted:

To crush your enemy, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women

I'm sorry, it's women, of course, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Memento posted:

Lol, it was my first thought.

At least, my thought was of Warren Ellis sharing posts like that with that phrase. Was it on LiveJournal at the time?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
looks like this guy only had Life 1.0, but these injuries would require at least Life XP

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Z the IVth posted:

Would be OSHA to hang someone heavier than that. Guidelines say to use the guillotine.

And what if they're so fat they don't have a discernible neck?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
https://i.imgur.com/0CBkzjW.gifv

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

"Hello, this is Mike....yeah Mike Mulligan"

"YEAH THAT MIKE MULLIGAN"

"Okay you remember that steam shovel?"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

looks like this guy only had Life 1.0, but these injuries would require at least Life XP

Why couldn't they just cast life on Aeris?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hot drat, are those the heads of anchor bolts being popped off?

Earth heavy.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

You can also see water pouring out at the bottom.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yeah, it was a wall collapse in Istanbul.
https://digg.com/video/retaining-wall-istanbul
https://www.geoengineer.org/news/disastrous-retaining-wall-failure-followed-by-building-collapse-in-turkey

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lazyhound posted:

“morselized”

is that the next step after gibbed?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Mozi posted:

Chet is running a bit slow after the accident, looks like we will have to defrag him again

Lazyhound posted:

“morselized”

The most delicious way to die

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Cartoon Man posted:

I don’t know what it’s for, but watching this:
https://i.imgur.com/1yGdChX.mp4

turn into this:
https://i.imgur.com/I2wQ5iZ.mp4

has been quite the journey.

Full dump:
https://imgur.com/gallery/MY756Ng

I'm remembering a post... maybe in the meme thread? one of these big hydraulics slamming on a disc, with it labelled "My rear end" and a guy with a broom sweeping off he slag or whatever labelled "maybe a little lube"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

drat, even Superman would fly there and just be like "Nope. Sorry guys, nothing I can do here." and just fly off.