Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
I am thinking getting back to simracing after a few year hiatus, and got offer for logitech g29 for 150€, is it a good deal. or should aim for something else?

-terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

It’s a great entry level wheel. The price seems kinda high... but is it already hard buying this kind of thing where you are? Either way, check your local fb groups/ebay to see how it compares.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's roughly the going rate for a G29 I believe, but yeah check prices and go for it if it's a decent one.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Getting a cheap G29 right now is hard. They were $230 on Amazon two weeks ago, now up to $380. 150 Euros is a drat good price. Everyone is racing during the 'rona.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Getting a cheap anything right now is hard it seems.
AM2 is a blast so far, I never had AM1 so stuff like the Beetles is new to me and really really good fun.
I joined an online race, sunny day at Monaco racing v12 F1 cars and it was a good time, I hit a wall and my front wheel came off so I limped to the pits and they fixed it, was cool!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sim racing prices do seem to be going up in general with the Rona. Remember besides everyone being bored at home, iracing is getting network TV coverage, so people who never knew sim racing existed or was something people took seriously are now jumping into it because they see their favorite pro drivers doing it and unlike an actual Nascar or F1 car, the average Joe can afford a basic sim setup

Sim race on Sunday, sell on Monday apparently

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Sky have been showing F1 races but using the game F1 2019, so they are replicating each weeks race with a mix of Youtubers / real life racers, it's been a fun watch so far

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

it's a shame that f1 2019 is a garbage sim

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Also, it'd be fun to see them switching between different cars. I want to see Leclerc and the rest race ye olde F1 cars around some classic circuits. Lotus 49 at old Spa - no one survives edition.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I haven't touched an official F1 game in years, but the current problems made me watch a stream. Does it actually look that good?

Mind you, I won't touch it anyway, especially if it doesn't have VR, just a general question....

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

F1 2019 is a perfectly good racing game and I don't get why everyone's piling onto it lately. Other than its spectator tools aren't that great.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

njsykora posted:

F1 2019 is a perfectly good racing game and I don't get why everyone's piling onto it lately. Other than its spectator tools aren't that great.

My favourite part is how the cars aren't even balanced when they're set to equal performance because the track/wheelbase of the model affects pace.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
F1 2019 is extremely competent in basically every aspect, of not outright excellent in a few. It’s also a sim racer that is perfectly at home on a game pad.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also the repeated game crashes in the broadcast events make it look a little amateurish.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I tried f1 2019 as a freebie on the Xbox, seemed pretty solid but for whatever reason just didn't hold my interest.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
it has a good career mode, the driving sucks though.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Finally have AMS 2 a try - a game I've owned since 2015(?) when it was stil called Reiza17 :haw: - and I have to say as someone who never really got on board with how the driving in pCars 2 feels I'm happy that AMS 2 doesn't share that trait. Still a bit meh on the feeling of understeer/brake lockup, but otherwise pretty good. AI is weird, in that they seem to be able to brake crazy late in some corners? Maybe I just suck. Game is still missing tons of QOL features though, and some of the cars (especially inside textures) look like placeholders tbh. This does not look like a game that could have ever been ready for final release in march, more like end of the year.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I find that pcars 2 you end up getting crazy loose once you start getting on the gas in any of the production cars.. like I feel I can break loose in 3rd a lot of the time.. it makes things a lot harder to drive.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

I haven't touched an official F1 game in years, but the current problems made me watch a stream. Does it actually look that good?

Mind you, I won't touch it anyway, especially if it doesn't have VR, just a general question....

It is very pretty indeed, the lighting engine especially is awesome

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

f1 2019 would easily win "prettiest racing game" if A) you could turn the disgusting HUD off and B) the pit exiting/entry animations weren't so janky

also I will never buy official f1 games if they don't have VR support, that's an absolute dealbreaker.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

NtotheTC posted:

I will never buy official f1 games if they don't have VR support, that's an absolute dealbreaker.

Same here tbh, it's just not my thing anymore, F1 racing is top fun in VR too, luckily there are other options

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Lol, Norris trashing f1 2019 and Gran Turismo

https://www.racefans.net/2020/04/11/norris-explains-why-real-world-drivers-prefer-iracing-to-f1-2019/

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
That's not 'trashing' 2019 that's calling it more of an arcade racer, which it is. Now, he does trash GT, but it deserves it for being trash.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Completely insufferable in his opinions, and stating the absolute obvious for which no one else cares about, spoken like a true sim racing fan. :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gran turismo sport owns and not because of its accuracy

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
I find a hugely underrated feature of F1 games in general, and especially 2018/19 is the AI. I felt like it was easy to find a good difficult, and you can really nail it to where you're having a good challenge every race with chances to overtake and get some good wheel to wheel racing. Not to mention the rewind feature in single player is what flips the switch from mediocre sim to very fun arcade racer. I prefer offline racing in general and basically every other game I've played (rFactor, AC, PC2 and various Dirts are the others I've played) are lacking or non existent when it comes to competent AI.

As others have mentioned its designed around controllers as much as wheels and the FFB is lovely. But if you want a no frills arcade race of kickass overtakes and pants making GBS threads saves nothing holds a candle to F1.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Installed AM2 and then immediately uninstalled and refunded bc my g27+loadcell+bodnar cable pedals aren’t working properly

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What’s the link to AM2 because google is being........wildly unhelpful

:nws:

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
You mean the Steam link? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1066890/Automobilista_2/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep. For some reason the full name was escaping me, and google apparently as well

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

$100 season pass for an unfinished game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah that pricing seems ... confident.

Luckily the season pass seems to be included in my AMS backer rewards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it is, supposedly the season pass is going to be for a metric shitload of content but given they've only announced Hockenheim (again) and Silverstone as paid DLCs so far it's a pretty hard sell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The DLC only mentions 5 tracks. That is an extremely hard sell for an Early Access game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

5 tracks and 3 expansions, so that's presumably 5 tracks in the mould of the "Legendary Race Tracks" DLCs from AMS1 where it was a track with a load of historic variants and I know they've said Silverstone will have at least its 70s and 90s variants and Hockenheim will have its 4 variants of which only 1 is actually fun and not just a boring pile of chicanes. The expansions will probably be like the Brit Pack, which was 3 tracks and and a bunch of cars. So that's something like 12 cars and at least 11 tracks which is a solid amount.

Of course it depends on the cars and tracks, if it's poo poo like Yas Marina and COTA it doesn't matter how much of it you release, it's still poo poo. Though I figure if they go the national pack route and do an American pack there's a solid chance we get Mid Ohio which is a worthwhile trade off for having COTA as well.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So looking at the Steam page for the Season Pass, Hockenheim will be the 1975/1988/2001/2019 layouts and Silverstone will be 1975/1991/2001/2019. They actually put up names for 3 car/track expansions. Brazilian Legends, Racin' USA and Adrenalin.

Two of those have pretty clear themes, but I'm really curious what the hell Adrenalin is going to be about.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The other thing is there's going to be a load of free added stuff as well (Bathurst isn't going to be paid DLC, neither will the GT3/4 cars) so questionable how much you really -need- the season pass unless you're one of those weird mutant people who can't get it up without Silverstone.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I got the AM2 early access and it's good, but honestly if you don;t have it you aren't missing toooooo much, I would recommend it and some of the cars are great but I wouldn't sweat it about getting in early

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Reiza sims are always great just because of all the tracks/cars you can't get anywhere else. Lots of fun stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eyud posted:

Reiza sims are always great just because of all the tracks/cars you can't get anywhere else. Lots of fun stuff in there.

Beetles at Brands Hatch is a fav so far