Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I thought it was ARM windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nah, they say the first Windows 10X machines will be "powered by intel" in their initial announcement.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

multi-file search and replace of "Windows 10®" to "Windows 10X®" across the whole windows repo taking way longer than expected?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if os.startswith("Windows 10")

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

great now my windows is 10x hosed

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Pinterest Mom posted:

what does "get Windows 10X on single-screen devices" even mean

10x is just literally the dual screen os and they said that it wouldn't be replacing normal windows 10 on normal devices

Thurott seems to think it's their latest attempt at Windows 10, but with a new UI - but because all previous efforts have failed miserably, they're branding it as "for dual screen devices only" for the moment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
guess they're really gonna need 10x developers

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

*Microsoft executive nods slowly* "yes this is actually fine. people love emojis"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
sent those users a smilie. users love smilies.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

centering the taskbar icons so that the start button is in a variable position depending on how many things you have open sounds like a great idea

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chalks posted:

centering the taskbar icons so that the start button is in a variable position depending on how many things you have open sounds like a great idea

don't worry there'll be a third party program to get you traditional start menu back

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

surprised Apple didn't do it first

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

guess they're really gonna need 10x developers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Chris Knight posted:

surprised Apple didn't do it first

the dock has been centered since 2001

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
being back the tray

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
windows ce looking good

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

but does it run edge (chrome)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ps im the rendered cord/wire(?) that is cut off

pram
Jun 10, 2001

help computa

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pram posted:

help computa

matti
Mar 31, 2019

good night babe 😋😆🤑🐄

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ylitvinenko/status/1249062168982630401

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The emoji keyboard definitely merits millions of dollars in overhead creating an entirely new operating system SKU, support channel, marketing campaign, etc.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

good poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

classy

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the new windows terminal kinda sucks huh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hifi posted:

i like it, but it is a special 2020 kind of comedy that you likely need to configure it, and pressing the cogwheel pops a pile of json in an editor.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

hifi posted:

it's fine?

like there's some dumb bugs for sure (lol try dragging a tab out of the window) but it works well enough for me

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
oh cool it doesn't crash when you drag a tab out now

still can't drag one from one terminal to another though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

there's a bug where the refresh rate drops to like 24hz and in the github comments the msft guy is asking for hardware recs that aren't as expensive as a 1080ti and some gamer monitor

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it kinds sucks but its beta but could you image ballmer shipping it? or adding unix file support to notepad, or making vscode a text editor that foss people actually like to use

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
oh yeah i mean if you care about that stuff then stick to WSL2 bash or even plain old powershell lol

didn't that guy basically say all the console emulators on windows are trash though?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the one that comes with windows 10 has bad drawing bugs with curses style stuff (e.g, tmux) that makes it unusable. i'm trying the new one and it's got it's own set of crap

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i assume we're talking about the new preview terminal yeah, the old one has issues old enough to drink.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

ive been using the new terminal and wsl2 for ages and they "just work"

matti
Mar 31, 2019

just dont try change any settings youll be transported to the javascript plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also in complete comedy you break the new terminal terribly if you set history to more than about 9000 lines. which was the hard limit of the old terminal. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

using wsl2, new terminal and visual studio code has been a real pleasure though. a pleasure intermingled with a clear feeling that there is all kinds of very un-microsoftian duct-tape keeping my experience together, but so far a pleasure nonetheless.