Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I have my personal preference but I honestly don't care what other people say, I do find it funny that we're talking about this in a thread for a show where everyone is very, very careful to refer to them as the brand approved "LEGO bricks" and not the bastardization "Legos".

I say Legos and I will until the day I am buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

it's an uncountable noun you disgusting American barbarians

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Here in America, we have the freedom to count whatever nouns we want. It's in the Constitution!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

LEGO System A/S Legal Department posted:

That can be arranged.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lego group think has gotten me to say Lego vs Legos about half the time, but Legos will always feel right.

Always trust your gut. It's like how I spent my whole life saying gif with a g noise and got made fun of it for so much I started saying jif even though it sounded dumb, and then everyone started using the G noise and I was right all along.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

legos feels and sounds gross and wrong

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

It's like how I spent my whole life saying gif with a g noise and got made fun of it for so much I started saying jif even though it sounded dumb, and then everyone started using the G noise and I was right all along.

But the guy who invented the gif format pronounces it with the soft g. Really not sure where the hard g even came from.

Much like the s in Legos, where the guy that invented them pronounced it Bri-Plax. There’s no s, it’s just singular

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

OSU_Matthew posted:

But the guy who invented the gif format pronounces it with the soft g. Really not sure where the hard g even came from.

Much like the s in Legos, where the guy that invented them pronounced it Bri-Plax. There’s no s, it’s just singular

Because the g is for graphics. You don't say jui, do you?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I have my personal preference but I honestly don't care what other people say, I do find it funny that we're talking about this in a thread for a show where everyone is very, very careful to refer to them as the brand approved "LEGO bricks" and not the bastardization "Legos".

I know some people who are hardcore Lego fans (they co-organise local Lego conventions and travel to Denmark at least once a year to visit the Lego factory & theme park at Bilund) and they've straight up posted very very serious rants about this poo poo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Agree it seems like the "three teams in the finals" thing was producers loving around to save Tyler and Amy.

And good, because watching the beard guys kicking the poo poo out of Sam and Jessica would have been a boring finale.

I hate Sam. I guess they've been trying to edit it to make them look like overachieving underdogs, but he was so mean to Jessica early on and then gave up so hard this week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sam seems really abusive.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, he's been a real prick several times, and I'd much rather watch a 2-team finale with only the two happy-go-lucky teams who are both obviously very talented.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They should have eliminated Sam and Jessica at four so the actual three best teams were in the finals

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

PostNouveau posted:

I hate Sam. I guess they've been trying to edit it to make them look like overachieving underdogs, but he was so mean to Jessica early on and then gave up so hard this week.

Agreed. And what really pissed me off was he was standing there having a tantrum when they had a movie scene that not only complemented their talents, but possibly the most visually distinct and interesting movie scene on offer. It was an unintentional gift on the parts of the other teams.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jessica deserved better.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
So who are we betting on to take it all? The show seems to have been hyping up Tyler and Amy and the fact that they're having a baby and want to buy a house. Mark and Boone have the technical edge, but I still think Tyler and Amy could bust something out that's both fun and worthy of the finale.

Lets just pray that Sam doesn't murder Jessica from sheer stress in the finale.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I posted this almost exactly a month ago:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm going to bet on the Newlyweds winning the grand prize

..... and I still stand by it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

really going out on a limb there

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tyler and Amy are still the favorites I think. Especially if this is like a typical reality competition where the finale is 3 challenges wrapped into one.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I really like the beard dudes' work. I'd like for them to win, but knowing that reality show producers are involved: the Newlyweds stand a strong chance. Also the ~*quirky ones*~ have won reality show competitions before, such as Dino Luciano in MasterChef season 8, but I really hope that the producers don't reward Sam's behavior like that. I realize that there's an editing slant that can be involved in shows like this, but the way he went off on Jessica before is hard to spin into a positive light.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The beard guys are from Oregon, so they will either buy 100k in beard oil, or a drive in the Nascar truck series.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Mark and Boone are the most technically skilled builders, but I also think they push themselves the farthest out of their comfort zone and while sometimes the results are spectacular, sometimes they backfire in incredible ways. I'd be 100% certain they'd win bit the judges have repeatedly stated (most recently during the droid build) that they are judged harder because of their obvious aptitude, which seems unfair.

This isn't a middle school project, it shouldn't be made fair, and if someone doesn't have the chops to put a couple gears together there's no point in awarding them points for incompetence.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mark and boone are probably the best remaining builders, but the Newlyweds are often the most ambitious and creative and the show seems like it's been rooting for them to win so it's what I'm expecting to see. Either of the two is still very possible though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The editors have been very favorable of them. They stopped building entirely and were filmed having a conversation of "wow, $100k, we could buy a house and have a baby." It felt of like they thought they were totally done with their build and were assuming they were going to win. Maybe all the teams did something like that and it wasn't shown, I don't know. It just seems kind of reckless to just stop building and have a family planning session when you later get criticized for part of your build seeming to be rushed and unfinished.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^ Almost always a cheap editing trick when something like this happens, btw. I was watching the new Amazon Prime Project Runway ripoff, and they had a team build where one dude went and sat down and got on his phone, and he was clearly looking at Pinterest, so he probably wasn't even slacking off, just looking for ideas, and they tried to play it as a dramatic moment of tension between him and his partner (they won the challenge easily). Like no one takes breaks for the 3 days of work they do.

The judges seem to be much more focused on cohesive storytelling than impressive, complex builds, and I think Tyler and Amy are better at that than the beard guys.

It makes sense. The judges are the people who design the actual Lego sets, which aren't 10,000-piece sprawling, towering works. They're tight packages of storytelling.

They should add a judge who's one of those people who gets paid to do poo poo like build a life-size T-Rex outside the Jurassic Park roller coaster or something like that.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 13, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Plastik posted:

Mark and Boone are the most technically skilled builders, but I also think they push themselves the farthest out of their comfort zone and while sometimes the results are spectacular, sometimes they backfire in incredible ways.

Judging from the preview for the final episode they've really doubled down on concentrating on making the tallest build in the room at the expense of aesthetics

Cojawfee posted:

The editors have been very favorable of them. They stopped building entirely and were filmed having a conversation of "wow, $100k, we could buy a house and have a baby." It felt of like they thought they were totally done with their build and were assuming they were going to win. Maybe all the teams did something like that and it wasn't shown, I don't know. It just seems kind of reckless to just stop building and have a family planning session when you later get criticized for part of your build seeming to be rushed and unfinished.

They were almost certainly told by a producer to pause and have that conversation while a camera crew filmed them

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

IcePhoenix posted:

They should have eliminated Sam and Jessica at four so the actual three best teams were in the finals

They should have been eliminated at five so my boys Flynn and Richard could make it to the finals!!!

Im still salty lol

But anyway, I don't think Sam is abusive. I think he just lost his cool under the stress. (NOTE I havent seen the last 2 episodes. I'm going to binge em tonight. So if Sam acted like a jerk again then yikes)

I hope Sam and Jessica or the Beard Bros win. The Straight couple are boring and choosing them to win would be the most boring outcome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
By the way if you want more content a lot of the contestants are teaming up to livestream videos every day, it looks like a whole bunch of them kept in touch after the show ended :3:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/BooneBuilds/posts/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

They should have been eliminated at five so my boys Flynn and Richard could make it to the finals!!!

Im still salty lol

But anyway, I don't think Sam is abusive. I think he just lost his cool under the stress. (NOTE I havent seen the last 2 episodes. I'm going to binge em tonight. So if Sam acted like a jerk again then yikes)

I hope Sam and Jessica or the Beard Bros win. The Straight couple are boring and choosing them to win would be the most boring outcome.

Calling Sam abusive is a huge overstatement, but he definitely freaks out too much and it seems like it's made worse by Jessica being super passive and just taking his poo poo when she should probably be taking him down a peg.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mark and Boone's tower idea ain't cohesive enough and won't "read" well.

Tyler and Amy's is probably gonna come out loving gorgeous, and they're smart to lean into "hey we're gonna have a kid give us money for our kid". Sam and Jessica's idea is pretty good too; I could see that coming out really well.

Edit: They're just gonna display it somewhere? Isn't it fairly easy for them to just make custom kits these days? How about "We're gonna sell your build as a kit on the website and give you a cut of revenue" as a prize?

That paintbrush thing is cool. Great idea.

Oh poo poo, these all came out great. I have no idea who's winning this.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 16, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ah so the one team I didn't want to win, won. Cool. I would have been happier if it was literally any other team that won. blegh :smith:

Edit: I guess that's kind of a mean thing to say. I mean, I'm happy for them. Hope they have a great life and all, but drat Mark and Boone were robbed :smith:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 16, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tyler and Amy's build was absolutely the best one IMO. I think the judges got it right, even if I wanted Beard Bros to win.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Tyler and Amy's build was absolutely the best one IMO. I think the judges got it right, even if I wanted Beard Bros to win.

I dunno that peacock was something else. I didn't think Sam and Jessica had that in them.

I thought Tyler and Amy had the best idea, but it was really confusing at the focal point. It was hard to tell what was going on in the eggs/lizard head/eagle head area.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah ha ha ha I love how Mark and Boone were going "Hopefully this will be good enough to beat Tyler and Amy!" like Sam and Jessica weren't even a concern

I think that Sam and Jessica's peacock would have been more of a contender if it was actually lifesized or if the tail was motorized and the feathers actually fanned out to reveal the full effect but there's just no way that was going to happen

Jamie Faith posted:

but drat Mark and Boone were robbed :smith:

I have the perfect shirt for you!
https://teespring.com/stores/boone-and-mark-store

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah they clearly sat back and went "Okay, what's a dynamic epic idea that immediately tells a story but also gives lots of scope for tons of small details and additional stories". Mark and Boone tried for a big idea but it didn't immediately tell an overall story, Sam and Jessica went for a model which told a story but it wasn't really dynamic or epic. Not too different from the final 3 builds from Australia Lego Masters season 1.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of Lego Masters Australia, season 2 starts this Sunday the 19th!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZWKqSg4NnY

Here's an introduction to all the contestants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtXxk1uZ-E

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I think Tyler and Amy had the best idea that would fit in a lucite box next to the entrance of a gift shop. It’s fine, but after last week’s “last minute save,” it really didn’t feel earned, IMO. And the show’s heavy emphasis on their baby made it feel like the show was trying to justify it.

Sam and Jessica’s was fun, but the design of it essentially means you miss half the characters. The body of the peacock was also just kind of a blob of blue bricks.

I felt Mark and Boone’s was the best, but I wonder if they would have won with a bit more focus - the judges pointed out that the concept of “disparate people and themes coming together over a building” was something they’d already explored.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Well now that season 1 of the U.S.A. LM is over, I plan on watching the other versions like the Australia version.

Would ya'll like me to update the OP to include info on the other versions?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is there a non :filez: way to watch the US and UK Lego Masters?

EDIT: From outside of those countries I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I watched it on the US version on the Fox website using a VPN, so I'm not sure how legal that is...

As for the Finale, I felt bad for Sam and Jessica and Mark and Boone, they put a load of effort creating something fun and telling interesting stories. Tyler and Amy had an incredible build, but all just threw knights and a pegesis around to justify the fantasy landscape.