Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

By popular demand posted:

Re: Fecking crabs:
there's this mod that allows to disable creatures and since the crabs only appear in a couple of places you miss nothing by removing them.
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/92

I'm reminded of the mod someone did for Morrowind that removes the cliff racers. And the mod that makes them split into 3 when killed. And the mod that puts them in Skyrim. And...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Removing the crabs seems like a waste of time, I don't think they respawn if you go out of your way to exterminate them.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I am kicking myself for not finding that Seamoth depth module in the 3 or so trips I've taken into the Aurora.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You forgot to pick up a PDA in lifepod 4, right next to the databox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY8M2vBNiHY&t=340s

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Will def be following this LP. I got about 2/3rds through before finally discovering the beacon recipe, and had a very hard time finding places I’d visited before.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The prop cannon is mostly great for yeeting the loving crabs into the horizon.

I also enjoyed the Cyclops in part because I liked seeing how many things I could cram in there that felt un-intended, like an entire bed and a small garden. Supposedly there was once a bug where you could slap a power cell charger inside the cyclops, and it would charge the cells in the charger for less of an energy cost than it drew from the cells it used to power itself and the charger.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Space Tech is just really really good. You've got an amazing dive suit, your submarine probably just turns the water friction into extra power or some other silliness.

Space Tech just works, don't question it, and pay no attention to the massive wreckage all around you

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Huh, that upper path is new. Every time I've gone to the Aurora the top section was just a quick way out, there wasn't a pathway into it.

The Propulsion cannon is necessary for getting into the Aurora (technically, you can shimmy past this entrance but good look doing that with the other entrance,) but like the Radiation suit once you're done there you don't need the prop cannon for anything else, it's just handy to have around.

There's a good 4-5 extinguishers in the Aurora itself so you only need like, 2 or 3 at most to deal with all of the fires you're likely to deal with. It's use also drops off after the Aurora since the only other thing it can do is push you a little bit faster than your base swim speed.

Having a stock of medkits is good, but I never carry more than 4 with me at a time. Anything that's likely to do that much damage to me is in the realm of insta-killing me instead. Everything else is chip damage and mostly avoidable. Bleeder's and cave crabs being the worst of them.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Removing the crabs seems like a waste of time, I don't think they respawn if you go out of your way to exterminate them.

The Aurora one's might be an exception. I've emptied a good 5 batteries using the prop cannon to pancake them on the girders and they still keep coming out of the woodwork. I haven't tried knifing them though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I stand by what I said in the video. Bleeders, Biters, and those awful crab things are nothing more than annoyances. And an extremely hamfisted way to kick the plot into gear. So I'll probably be installing that "reduced spawns" mod for much the same reason someone replaying Morrowind would install the mod that fixes the Cliff Racer spawn bug. I've shown all three off and having to deal with them less will just make my life easier.

Even if it is still mildly funny to swear at them in text every time a biter takes an opportunistic nibble. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I've reached the point where I'm not really sure where to go next so it's going to be interesting to see where things go next.
At most I can do further zone exploration and just tick off nearby wrecks for blueprint parts because I'm swimming in Titanium right now and could really need more base parts.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

I stand by what I said in the video. Bleeders, Biters, and those awful crab things are nothing more than annoyances. And an extremely hamfisted way to kick the plot into gear. So I'll probably be installing that "reduced spawns" mod for much the same reason someone replaying Morrowind would install the mod that fixes the Cliff Racer spawn bug. I've shown all three off and having to deal with them less will just make my life easier.

Even if it is still mildly funny to swear at them in text every time a biter takes an opportunistic nibble. :v:

It's also satisfying to obliterate them with your Seamoth as you're speeding along.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

So I've reached the point where I'm not really sure where to go next so it's going to be interesting to see where things go next.
The answer is almost always "deeper".

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

The answer is almost always "deeper".

True, I have an inkling what to do next due to plot but right now that feels a bit out of reach.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've been a little behind on working on the next videos, so I've only just finished tomorrow's. So here's a zero-context teaser for what we're dealing with on the 15th!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Did the game polymorph you into a kitten?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Here we go.

I wish there was a way to build a giant underwater shipping container, or a bag of holding. Mostly because I want to redo my base from scratch as I'm not too enthused with how I built it. But I've got nowhere to stash all my resources, especially when the game frowns on dropping items when you're dry so I can't just make a tube habitat with a giant pile of stuff.
I guess the other option is just build another base away from the shallows.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The game definitely does not approve of your slovenly lifestyle, everything must have a container.
That said, nothing prevents you from building a long-rear end unpowered tube base decked out with lockers. All you need is lots of titanium.

E: also remember that structures and lockers can be freely disassembled with no loss of material so that's another way to store reserves.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 14, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That said, nothing prevents you from building a long-rear end unpowered tube base decked out with lockers. All you need is lots of titanium.
You jest, but that's pretty much what I have. But replace wall lockers with the slightly bigger ones.

E: also remember that structures and lockers can be freely disassembled with no loss of material so that's another way to store reserves.
Yeah that's nice of them, which makes moving around stuff a lot less of a pain.

I may just do a large storage tube just so I can rebuild the base I have before considering resettling elsewhere.
Mostly because transferring everything over will be a right pain in itself.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If those little bastards gave you trouble, I imagine you never played Half Life.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 14, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The crowbar is far better at killing things than that rinky dink knife though so Gordon has the upper hand.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Headcrab movement is much less janky and much more predictable than cave crawlers. Even on dry land, the crawlers have the handling and reactions of fish in the water.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Watching this lp I almost bought the game on PS4, then realized I wouldn't be able to get the QoL mods used. So, I didn't.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Gordon also had guns of various deadliness to use when the desire to stay away from nasty buggers got too great, unlike our faceless, nameless survivor who is not allowed to get one due to in and out universe politics.
Is the propulsion cannon actually worth to craft/use on the crabs?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Lulti posted:

Is the propulsion cannon actually worth to craft/use on the crabs?

Not really, it'd take a long time, and a ton of battery power, when you could just run past all of them in the first place.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How big can you make your base?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Falcorum posted:

Not really, it'd take a long time, and a ton of battery power, when you could just run past all of them in the first place.

counterpoint: yeet

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's no real upper limit, though each extra base module takes away some durability, which can only be recouped by building foundations(thus limiting how vertical you can make your base) or reinforcing parts of the base(which requires extra materials).

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

As big as your computer is able to handle. Some people have made bases spanning thousands of meters. You just need to keep strengthening it with reinforcing wall panels.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Thinking about building your own Objectivist utopia?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Now I'm wondering how deep you can build a base.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Big enough to break... setpieces.

Mraagvpeine posted:

okay so you know how people have mentioned that ladders are actually instantaneous up and down teleportation well let's just say that some people laugh at the notion of using submarines for vertical movement

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

As deep as you want, you just need even more reinforcements The game doesn't really model water pressure on any part of your base, it just adds or subtracts from the base integrity number.
You can stack a bunch of round rooms with reinforcements on all walls somewhere in a corner and then build your base however you want.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tamba posted:

You can stack a bunch of round rooms with reinforcements on all walls somewhere in a corner and then build your base however you want.

Very much guilty of doing that when I redesigned my base. :v:

Fish Noise posted:

okay so you know how people have mentioned that ladders are actually instantaneous up and down teleportation well let's just say that some people laugh at the notion of using submarines for vertical movement

Go on...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also its way cheaper to build above the waterline since hull strength isnt affected by base segments in the air. The only downside is that you have no vertical movement which can limit your placements. You can go real big above water.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

I found this story to be really touching, even though it’s pretty unsettling. I know this is late, but I felt the need to comment. I also have a bit of Thallasaphobia, more so about the deep sea creatures and the fact that my body could be lost to the depths of the sea more than anything else. Ironically, I’ve also been diving with my family and have a diving license, but haven’t been in years.

This LP is awesome and while I will probably never play the game due to a mix of lacking patience and being terrified of leviathans, I appreciate the gameplay that you have put out.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#8 - The Sunbeam

We're going home today!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well, poo poo just went places. Lots of places.

All over the place.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Ah I hear the delicate call of Screamy Lad.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yup, saw one of those more or less in the same spot when I was at the Sunbeam landing spot. :v:

Also that bug where you randomly took damage sure beats the one I had yesterday where I just fell through the floor in one of the habitation tubes and was underwater yet the game still considered me to be on a dry spot and had to exit through the gate to get into the sea again.
I probably should've exploited that somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The "random damage" was actually a bleeder biting on to him just as he got into the seamoth, because he was in the moth he couldn't do anything to get rid of it.

Also I love that island, you hit that up and you're set for lithium for about half the game. Also access to diamonds that involves dealing with less warpers and yelly fellas than just about any other location containing them that I can think of.