Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Make sure Yoopcat is nearby for good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Our very own Bacarruda has a plane design contest. For those of you not in the Airpower thread, check it below!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910801&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=62

In other news, Squadron Ops is a go for takeoff. I'll post links to channels prior to TAC startup.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

This seems like it belongs here.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Hey if those old Aussie jets are good enough for the CAF to buy them for parts, they're probably good enough to pretend to be Iranians. If memory serves, those old Aussie F-18s (or were they ex-Canadian? Both?) actually showed up in one of our missions.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Hey if those old Aussie jets are good enough for the CAF to buy them for parts, they're probably good enough to pretend to be Iranians. If memory serves, those old Aussie F-18s (or were they ex-Canadian? Both?) actually showed up in one of our missions.

poo poo if they're good enough for a private aggressor squadron they're probably good enough for us. Are the Commonwealth nations looking to liquidate any assets anytime soon?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

didn't we just have the option to score some Hornets and we passed them over?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

Our very own Bacarruda has a plane design contest. For those of you not in the Airpower thread, check it below!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910801&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=62

Thanks for the hat tip, Yooper!

I'm really looking forwards to what people come up with!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Warmachine posted:

Are the Commonwealth nations looking to liquidate any assets anytime soon?

Hey, you could also get Hornets from Finland (which are very good), Spain (pretty good), or Kuwait or Malaysia (I hope you like Sparrows).

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
not to be pushy, but is this thing still on or nah?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Operation Cat Face is going Live shortly! Please get to your aircraft ladies and gentleman. Squadron Ops doesn't want a repeat of last Thursday.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiOYtWCdFz_b8BL-AWaaMzg?view_as=subscriber

https://www.twitch.tv/hiredgoons_pmc

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
f

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Ground crews extract Davin 'Unicorn' Valkyrie from his Fencer after his ill-fated gun run

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

:hf:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Warmachine posted:

poo poo if they're good enough for a private aggressor squadron they're probably good enough for us. Are the Commonwealth nations looking to liquidate any assets anytime soon?

I can't recall if they actually showed up in in the Yooperverse or it was just part of my fevered imaginings

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107&userid=106664&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post486968851

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ImSCZvXH0

Youtube is currently uploading, it'll be a bit till it's ready.

Operation Cat Face was a success! Primary objective was to knock out the power sub stations and that was done beautifully. Already production has ground to a halt and the Nigerian Triumvirate is struggling to meet short term quotas. Those transformers are damned expensive and they'll have to float them in on a boat. The construction depot is in shambles, nothing but scorched front end loaders and burnt out bulldozers. The SA-11 and Tunguska proved to be a bit tougher than expected but eventually we knocked them out.

The Palace. Let me tell you about a palace. It ate 600 pounds of high explosive and was completely engulfed in a Michael Bay style inferno. We sent in a jet down low, our own Unicorn, and he decided to strafe it. Well, then his SU-24 ate a SAM and kept going. He'd have knocked that thing out but alas the SAM disabled his cannon. The next guy, uh, wasn't so lucky. Thankfully we have insurance!

The MIG-25's proved to be wily opponents and knocked out a pair of our F-15's. Alas RandomPaul and MEAT came to a bitter end after dodging a ridiculous quantity of missiles. The comedy for the day came when a pair of HAMMER F-16's launched for a routine patrol and came under AAMRAM fire. HAMMER is not happy. It was our guess that the first mission would be the easiest. Now they'll be gunning for us.

All in all a job well done and hats off to Jimmy4400Nav for a well planned op.

The Palace was at...

About 10 minutes after our jets landed it burned down. Then my next lua action triggered and we missed out on a crucial plot point...

Just seconds before shut down our Safran Patroller picked up a flash of radar out of Kano. Near as we can tell it's a Chinese KLJ-7, or some variant of it. Not sure what it was mounted to but the moment that palace burned down those things came up.

The Government has passed payment to HQ-Corporate and the fine folks at AirGeico are already flying in replacements.

Back to you Hired Goons!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Are we getting three new Eagles, or running them into the ground and then procurement?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Sounds like replacements to me:

Yooper posted:

the fine folks at AirGeico are already flying in replacements.

Only 15 F-15I were built, but my guess is by this time in-universe new production lines are up and running.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I am sad to have missed the stream; instead I was capturing live footage of the 10KW laser defense's first deployment:

https://i.imgur.com/N1NTxIB.mp4

DanceSafe.org reported a record number of deaths at a rave event in Zinder; however, it appears none were drug-related with most pills testing of almost unprecedented high quality. Survivors indicate that everything was "great" until "the DJ attacked us with a lightsaber." It is unclear if local reports are conflating drug-inducted hallucinations with actual events, but it is certain a tragedy took place.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
:dance: Hell yeah the plan worked! Glad to see we got pretty much everything we wanted done in the mission!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Yes! Hired Goons are flying (and dying) again! Dropbear, fresh from operating a water-bomber in Australia's relentless war on combusting eucalypts, is reporting back for duty! Maybe this time she'll spend more time in a plane than in the ocean!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The after effects of our little sortie resulted in a very minor shift, the high voltage power lines from Nigeria proper were knocked out allowing the Niger Development Corporation to assume control of two production sites. Sure the power grid was re-routed within a few hours but in that time frame the ORMEC entities shifted ownership to prevent anyone from having the incentive to blow the poo poo up. That kind of thing only happens when they want it to.

Lt. Gen Agwai is in a tough spot and our employers don't want us to squeeze him directly for the time being. If one of the triumvirate gets too weak it's likely the others could depose him. Ideally we maintain an unstable and unwieldy command structure as long as possible. The newspapers are already ripe with verbal attacks between the three generals. Agwai blames Azazi (Lagos) while Yusuf is attacking both for not working together. This is all OK, it's when they start shooting each other that we have problems.

Here's our benefit, and we'll need it. As our employers gain wealth they will divert some of it to improving our launch facilities. We'll gain more runways, taxi ways, access points, revetments, the whole ball of wax. We'll never be able to base out of Nigeria proper, so as our ops spread further south we'll have to either negotiate basing with border countries or use our improved launch facilities to expand our logistics capabilities.

The relationship between the Triumvirate is an interesting one. To prevent three private air forces that each work for one member, they instead fund the mercenary groups directly through Zurich and no one member of the triumvirate controls them. As an added benefit they all pitch in on the mercenaries so if we kill mercs, we don't topple one member or the other.

The incursions in Goudmaria are proving to be more difficult to handle. They have been emboldened by our strike a few days ago and are pushing hard. As Niger isn't an ORMEC member their facilities can totally be bombed. It's our job to stop it.

Sokoto is going to be a thorn. HAMMER is not pleased when we jumped their F-16's. We did bring up the point that they would have fired on us but for whatever reason that didn't settle them down. Knocking them out will clear a path through the west for some border line shenaningans.

Pick one!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GOUDOMARIA, going to have to grasp the nettle of fighting Gripens sooner or later. Might as well be in a time and place of our choosing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GOUDOMARIA

Normally I'd be all up for Sokoto--I don't like the idea of letting them get more time to build their defenses and prepare for our eventual attack. However the mines keep our employer employing us. I'm a bit cagey about not having any AWACS for a BARCAP mission, but maybe the Gator will be good enough.

...hum, actually I'm pretty sure the Gator will be solid. The Hellads has C-RAM capability, so we should be able to keep the Gator safe from any enterprising ARMs.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

GOUDOMARIA

Those mines are where our bosses get the money to pay us. They're also presumably funding other parts of the war effort and protecting them is the better strategic choice anyways but making sure our paychecks don't start bouncing is the obvious immediate relevance to us.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Agreeing with GOUDOMARIA

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
GOUDOMARIA

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

GOUDOMARIA - not because money and resources, but because it gives Hammer's Slammers another opportunity to gently caress with us (or be hosed with by us) and thus build them up as an antagonist.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 12, 2020

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
GOUDOMARIA is going to be a really hard op. I have some ideas.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GOUDOMARIA

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Goudomaria

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Bandwagon

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

in the earlier iteration of the company we never really got to play with any of the jet trainers pretending to be real fighters, did we? Like the Hawk 200 etc. These reduced circumstances might make the light attack jet a more attractive option, if we can squeeze them in under the new rules.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

in the earlier iteration of the company we never really got to play with any of the jet trainers pretending to be real fighters, did we? Like the Hawk 200 etc. These reduced circumstances might make the light attack jet a more attractive option, if we can squeeze them in under the new rules.

We had some Hawks early on. They were decent for the given role but can't really hang with other top tier fighters. If other PMC's ran L-39's and other trainers then a bunch of Hawks would be cool.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Yooper posted:

We had some Hawks early on. They were decent for the given role but can't really hang with other top tier fighters. If other PMC's ran L-39's and other trainers then a bunch of Hawks would be cool.

i guess my love of small jets is all out of proportion to their usefulness.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Goudomaria

I dunno what I'm voting for, I just saw a thread title about lasers. :D

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

thatbastardken posted:

i guess my love of small jets is all out of proportion to their usefulness.

This is my struggle with Super Tucanos in this thread. :smith:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I still say that a small jets/STOL/turboprop air group would be a great mercenary band. Use that Mexican Hawkeye, bring a motley mishmash of Super Tukes, a pair of A-10s, a handful of Combat Caravans and other Biafra Babys, maybe some Turbo Trackers, and back it all up with converted trainers like the Hawk as your air-to-air. Small-time plane-mercs specializing in supporting COIN and other low-intensity conflicts, aimed at third-world countries with questionable infrastructure.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

It seems to my airmchair general mind that trainers-as-interceptors is a thing mostly useful as kind of security theater in that it's mostly for show and any dedicated threat (actual combat jets from the ~80s on) will rapidly showcase their limitations.

But they're super cute li'l guys usually with bobbleheads so :3:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Goudomaria it is!

Our good friend Zebba is chilling in Kano ready for another mission.

Somewhere between Goudoumaria and the boundary ring road is at least one hostile air base. The aircraft that have been raiding the mining facilities all have short legs. But it is a big rear end area and the forces are doing a good job operating out of camouflaged facilities. Traffic is pretty light in the area too so we can't use the ole Instagram method.

To clarify the mission goal, all we need to do is keep the facilities from being destroyed. It's an added bonus if we can counter strike. Squadron Ops sees a break in the weather and it's likely we'll see a hostile strike.

Next bonus is the Durkuma automated railroad bridge. We don't have a current photo, but it's just east of the city of Durkuma. It's a multi lane switch bridge that would really put a snag in ore shipments potentially requiring the Triumvirate to shift them through Cameroon.

Finally, at about 310 nm away, is a very capable GroundMaster radar. We used to have one, it works great. Too great. That said it's a stretch to get there and we'll run into god knows what as counter air forces. We're into middle Triumvirate territory so it'll be someone else besides HAMMER. Potentially Mangosteen Enterprises or RuTuCo.

You can start planning a mission now if you'd like and put Zebba as a piece for intel or lasing. Or you can use him for pre-op intel. If the thread calls for Intel we'll send him into the wilds for a better look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So you're saying we'll need some sort of land planes and land boats to steal the radar?