Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Joe Man posted:

Well A Hat In Time's cruise ship's 2nd level just broke me, uninstalling forever. Time to go back to something more forgiving like Nioh or Dark Souls.

There's a mod on the workshop that cheats out the timer, because gently caress that noise.

But even then, I hope you don't get motion sick, 'cause the third level is a loving doozy for that. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm not sure I'd want a Legacy of Kain revival without Amy Hennig on writing duty to be honest.

I replayed the whole series about a year ago (although I skipped Blood Omen 2 because of the many issues getting it working on a modern PC - I think I would have been better emulating a console version) and while the plot and voice acting are fantastic, Blood Omen 1 suffers hugely from its legacy as a PS1 game with constantly having to read data from the disc. The other games have early 3D open world issues to varying extents with controls and camera (the water level in SR1 was bad even by the standards of the time). It was worth it for the plot but I definitely couldn't recommend it to someone that didn't have nostalgia for the series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Party Boat posted:

(although I skipped Blood Omen 2 because of the many issues getting it working on a modern PC - I think I would have been better emulating a console version)
If it's any consolation, you didn't miss much. It's considered the worst of the series for a good reason.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh yeah don't worry, I got my fill of it back when it was released.

Did they ever explain how Vorador was alive in that time?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

Did they ever explain how Vorador was alive in that time?
BO2 is parallel universe.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Basically, yeah. It's more timeline shenanigans, stuff that got un-happened at the end.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I still have no idea what people have against RtwP combat. I'm sure I've heard a bunch of arguments on these forums, but none of them made enough sense to stick with me.

As always, we should look to that paragon of good gameplay decisions, Arcanum, for salvation. Turn based for when you really have to account for every move, real time for trash mobs and long dungeons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Orv posted:

No, it couldn't but realistically there are many talented people out there and I would accept a close enough facsimile.

They rerecorded all of the WoW race intros for Cataclysm and whoever they got for them sounds almost EXACTLY like Tony Jay, it's uncanny. So get that guy.

The other problem is that Michael Bell and Simon Templeman are getting pretty up there too now and nobody's getting any younger.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is Hunt: Showdown any good? A lot of the reviews are pretty positive on it but there was one review written by a dude with a shitload of hours in it and it sounded like it started going down the tubes something fierce?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jimbot posted:

Is Hunt: Showdown any good? A lot of the reviews are pretty positive on it but there was one review written by a dude with a shitload of hours in it and it sounded like it started going down the tubes something fierce?
I like it, play a couple matches just about every day. They added some sort of anti-camping mechanic to the game recently, is that what he's complaining about? Otherwise it hasn't changed all that much, it's just maintained a smallish but steady playerbase.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I still have no idea what people have against RtwP combat. I'm sure I've heard a bunch of arguments on these forums, but none of them made enough sense to stick with me.
Same, honestly. I like real-time with pause. I think it tends to be the best of both worlds - you have time to make your decisions, but you're not stuck waiting for a full cycle of round-robin moves every turn.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordja posted:

I like it, play a couple matches just about every day. They added some sort of anti-camping mechanic to the game recently, is that what he's complaining about? Otherwise it hasn't changed all that much, it's just maintained a smallish but steady playerbase.

Yeah, one of his negatives was that some people like to camp in bushes for the entire duration of a match and how it's a headshot fest. Also didn't like the premium currency stuff, among other things.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, one of his negatives was that some people like to camp in bushes for the entire duration of a match and how it's a headshot fest. Also didn't like the premium currency stuff, among other things.
Hmmmmm, some people do sit in bushes (usually solos) and wait for people to come by but that's been a thing from the beginning and I'm not sure what the devs can do to stop people from playing like that. Like I said, they have added various anti-camp mechanics in compounds that I think have worked well, and have incentivized actually going after and fighting the bosses through better rewards, so it's probably less of a problem now? Due to the slow ROF of just about every gun at range it definitely is a headshot-heavy shooter though, and they actually did decrease weapon sway at launch from what it was during the beta, something I'm no fan of but have grown accustomed to. The thing to realize is that it's secretly a stealth game and a lot of the combat relies on getting into an advantageous position or creeping up on the enemy. As for the premium currency, that's a non-issue. It's basically just for skins, you can get a heap of it for completing the tutorials and linking your account, and it's earned steadily from just playing the game. There's zero P2W in the game.

I love Hunt. It's tense, exciting, and unique. Unfortunately, it's got a high learning curve so I can't just tell you to buy it and play it under the refund period because that's probably too little time to know, but you might as well try!

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 12, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Does anyone have thoughts on CORRUPTION 2029? I have an Epic coupon to use up and I like the new Xcoms, but on the other hand I still have Mutant year zero sitting unplayed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordja posted:

Hmmmmm, some people do sit in bushes (usually solos) and wait for people to come by but that's been a thing from the beginning and I'm not sure what the devs can do to stop people from playing like that. Like I said, they have added various anti-camp mechanics in compounds that I think have worked well, and have incentivized actually going after and fighting the bosses through better rewards, so it's probably less of a problem now? Due to the slow ROF of just about every gun at range it definitely is a headshot-heavy shooter though, and they actually did decrease weapon sway at launch from what it was during the beta, something I'm no fan of but have grown accustomed to. The thing to realize is that it's secretly a stealth game and a lot of the combat relies on getting into an advantageous position or creeping up on the enemy. As for the premium currency, that's a non-issue. It's basically just for skins, you can get a heap of it for completing the tutorials and linking your account, and it's earned steadily from just playing the game. There's zero P2W in the game.

I love Hunt. It's tense, exciting, and unique. Unfortunately, it's got a high learning curve so I can't just tell you to buy it and play it under the refund period because that's probably too little time to know, but you might as well try!

How would you go about trying to convince someone to overlook the permanently losing your hunter when they die? How does the game offset that sort of loss?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Darkrenown posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on CORRUPTION 2029? I have an Epic coupon to use up and I like the new Xcoms, but on the other hand I still have Mutant year zero sitting unplayed.

Haven't played but it sounds super budget. No metagame whatsoever, basically no story either, just a set of combat scenarios. I think it plays exactly like MYZ just without the charm so you might as well try that if you own it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

vaginite posted:

Yeah thinking that blowing away a whole town in Fallout 2 is a mistake I think we all made once. Let's wait around 10 minutes for each brahmin to move.
Are you using the Sfall mod?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jimbot posted:

How would you go about trying to convince someone to overlook the permanently losing your hunter when they die? How does the game offset that sort of loss?
There's actually a grace period during the first 10 account levels where you don't lose your hunter at all. You can also recruit a completely free dude after every single match so it's actually impossible to get in the red, plus you earn money from just finding clues and fighting bosses which you keep even if you're killed before extracting. There's also daily challenges you can complete for free guns and items, and finally the BR-like Quickplay also uses free hunters that you keep when you win, but I don't think it's a very popular mode.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Next week's free Epic Store game is Just Cause 4, so if anyone wanted to try that game without worrying about paying for another shitheap like Just Cause 3, that's your chance to give it a shot I guess.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Play Mutant Year Zero- it’s good! Sure it has flaws, but if you like tactical games, it’s well worth the time.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What ever happened to that Nazi-killin' Mutant Year Zero/Xcom-like?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordja posted:

There's actually a grace period during the first 10 account levels where you don't lose your hunter at all. You can also recruit a completely free dude after every single match so it's actually impossible to get in the red, plus you earn money from just finding clues and fighting bosses which you keep even if you're killed before extracting. There's also daily challenges you can complete for free guns and items, and finally the BR-like Quickplay also uses free hunters that you keep when you win, but I don't think it's a very popular mode.

Does your hunter level up quickly? Even with the grace period, losing your hunter permanently is still a hard sell.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jimbot posted:

Does your hunter level up quickly? Even with the grace period, losing your hunter permanently is still a hard sell.
They do, but the thing about Hunters is that they don't actually matter that much. You can give them perks which help in certain circumstances but they're ultimately made to be disposable. Gear is what really determines how you play and you can equip them on anyone. Hunters have a max level of 50, but I just get them to around 25 (which takes two fruitful games) and retire them for the XP/cash. Not that I need either lol.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Croccers posted:

Are you thinking of https://store.steampowered.com/app/1026420/WARSAW/ ? It's not too Xcomy. Other than that I can only think of https://store.steampowered.com/app/559100/Phantom_Doctrine/ recently, but that's cold war.

Shame Corruption isn't more interesting. I guess I can get Asscreed Odyssey for £9.79 then.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Re: Hunt, unless you are abysmally bad, like 5th percentile bad, losing your hunter is never going to be more than a mild inconvenience and even a completely fresh T1 hunter can clear an entire map of players and do the boss.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Croccers posted:

Acthung! Cthulhu?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does hunt have separate queues for solos/groups

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Joe Man posted:

Well A Hat In Time's cruise ship's 2nd level just broke me, uninstalling forever. Time to go back to something more forgiving like Nioh or Dark Souls.
Skip it, play the Nyakuza Metro DLC instead. It's astounding that the Arctic and Metro levels are from the same game.

Party Boat posted:

I'm not sure I'd want a Legacy of Kain revival without Amy Hennig on writing duty to be honest.

I replayed the whole series about a year ago (although I skipped Blood Omen 2 because of the many issues getting it working on a modern PC - I think I would have been better emulating a console version) and while the plot and voice acting are fantastic, Blood Omen 1 suffers hugely from its legacy as a PS1 game with constantly having to read data from the disc. The other games have early 3D open world issues to varying extents with controls and camera (the water level in SR1 was bad even by the standards of the time). It was worth it for the plot but I definitely couldn't recommend it to someone that didn't have nostalgia for the series.
Honestly, just watch the cutscenes on Youtube.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Does hunt have separate queues for solos/groups

You can queue as a solo but it does not delineate the queues, you'll go up against duos and trios. Which honestly given the weaponry in the game is not nearly as hard to accomplish something in as in games with automatic weapons.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordja posted:

They do, but the thing about Hunters is that they don't actually matter that much. You can give them perks which help in certain circumstances but they're ultimately made to be disposable. Gear is what really determines how you play and you can equip them on anyone. Hunters have a max level of 50, but I just get them to around 25 (which takes two fruitful games) and retire them for the XP/cash. Not that I need either lol.

I see. Does gear unlock at the account level then? Do those have hunter level requirements? It seems like traits do, unless I'm reading the wiki wrong.

Also how's matchmaking work? Is it a free-for-all or do you get matched with people in range of your level?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 12, 2020

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
How is War of the Chosen if I thought the base XCOM 2 was decent but not great? Is it a big overhaul or just a "more of the same" kind of expansion?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How is War of the Chosen if I thought the base XCOM 2 was decent but not great? Is it a big overhaul or just a "more of the same" kind of expansion?

War of the Chosen is one of the best expansions I've ever seen. It's a major overhaul with a ton of new content.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jimbot posted:

I see. Does gear unlock at the account level then? Do those have hunter level requirements? It seems like traits do, unless I'm reading the wiki wrong.

Also how's matchmaking work? Is it a free-for-all or do you get matched with people in range of your level?

Yeah, all gear is account level, completely divorced from your hunters. You can go in with free, tier-1 hunter armed with the best guns if you like, and of course you can steal said guns from mans you kill. Traits are specific to each hunter and you unlock new ones the same way you unlock items. As for matchmaking, I think it's supposed to be based on MMR but I dunno if the population's big enough for that to really shake out. You do get more XP for killing better-equipped players though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Major overhaul. It adds a ton of stuff, and is basically designed to bring XCOM 2 from "pretty good" to "great".

e: Missed a number.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 12, 2020

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

The checkpoint for the cleanse the TV fight in Control is like exactly far enough away and occasionally filled with enough random bad guys that I like never want to play it again after the fourth time I've gotten killed by the boss

The tip to try to find some more mods on the loading screen when I quit to menu was some real insult to injury, like I was losing because I was missing an additional percentage point of bullet spread or whatever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Use shield more often.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Noooooo. :rip: to my trusty used and abused Microsoft office mouse, with it's just-right weight and simplicity. Lasted a ridiculously long time, all things considered (like legit possibly upwards of a decade) but the right button finally started flaking out too much to ignore any longer. (I guess there's a tiny chance I could crack it open and clean it up, but I have no idea how viable that is with one of these.)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

John Murdoch posted:

Noooooo. :rip: to my trusty used and abused Microsoft office mouse, with it's just-right weight and simplicity. Lasted a ridiculously long time, all things considered (like legit possibly upwards of a decade) but the right button finally started flaking out too much to ignore any longer. (I guess there's a tiny chance I could crack it open and clean it up, but I have no idea how viable that is with one of these.)

Wireless MS Laser Mouse 5000?

If so, or a similar one, that was a good mouse. My second one (Found at a goodwill without a receiver lol, but I already had one, so $5!) died a year or so ago and this Logitech G603 I was ok for a while, but is developing this weird issue where it double clicks even on a single click for all buttons.

Also if its broken you've not much to lose by trying to open it up and clean in.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I hated XCOM 2 before adding WOTC, and loved it afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

John Murdoch posted:

I have had decent luck opening up mice to find that the tiny button on the circuit board was fine, but it was the plastic lever that transfered the click from the button you click on the mouse itself was dented making it so it didn't always click. A dab of super glue always fixed it, if you open it up and that's what is happening you'll see what I mean.
Like was said you aren't going to break it anymore.