Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I will say RD consistently has Royal Oak lump charcoal at a good price if you’re buying outside the Memorial/Labor Day sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Lawnie posted:

Can you share any prices or especially good products? Sounds interesting but I’m not sure how much freezer space I’d need to make the trip worthwhile, especially now.

Prices vary by region, but expect them to be at or below Costco prices but with a lot more selection. You can get pretty much any cuts you want from a pig or cow, you are just buying the whole primal instead of just a single cut.

I have a meat slicer so when I used to go I would get a whole deli turkey breast or salami and portion that out and vacuum seal it. I used to get the giant tubs of peeled garlic as well. I miss not having an RD near me.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

RestaurantDepot.com posted:

You must shop in a Restaurant Depot store at least one time before you can register with the portal. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Yo can one of y’all with an RD account give us all your member ID number so we can check some prices on their website? Or at least give ME your member ID number?

I need a new meat slicer, but the closest RD to me is 2 hours away and I’m not driving that drat far unless I know for a fact that I’m buying something there first.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I know y'all smoking today. Let's see that hot, but not too hot, smoker pics.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That's a hell of a fire hazard you got there.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hope that siding doesn't melt

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, fire marshall. I have a line of sight on it and I've had it for four years. The previous owners of the house clearly had a grill there, the siding is already melted. But I have plans for a little outhouse looking smoker shack.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I put a metal water heater pan under my WSM just to catch any coals that fall out the vents. Generally the fire ring should keep the coals from getting that close to the vents, but sometimes poo poo happens.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

A minor dilemma here. I couldn't get the turkey breast on in time for a normal lunchtime and I was starving even earlier than that so I ate versus waiting. Now the bird's done -- do I just carve it now or try to hold it over? It's just me and the original plan was to have it for one meal then the rest for leftovers. Is it worth trying to keep it warm in foil/blankets/cooler or oven until dinner time (~5 hours) versus carving now and just eating leftovers?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuckistan posted:

I put a metal water heater pan under my WSM just to catch any coals that fall out the vents. Generally the fire ring should keep the coals from getting that close to the vents, but sometimes poo poo happens.

Floating embers are also a thing. Those can travel for at least several miles and still be hot enough to start fires, IIRC. A lot of wildfires happen that way.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Dango Bango posted:

A minor dilemma here. I couldn't get the turkey breast on in time for a normal lunchtime and I was starving even earlier than that so I ate versus waiting. Now the bird's done -- do I just carve it now or try to hold it over? It's just me and the original plan was to have it for one meal then the rest for leftovers. Is it worth trying to keep it warm in foil/blankets/cooler or oven until dinner time (~5 hours) versus carving now and just eating leftovers?

I wouldn't carve it. You'll just lose a bunch of juices and dry it out. I'd cool it and put in the fridge whole.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

um excuse me posted:

Thanks, fire marshall. I have a line of sight on it and I've had it for four years. The previous owners of the house clearly had a grill there, the siding is already melted. But I have plans for a little outhouse looking smoker shack.

Is this your new house?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

I wouldn't carve it. You'll just lose a bunch of juices and dry it out. I'd cool it and put in the fridge whole.

I ended up carving it. Putting it whole in the fridge just makes it harder to carve later.

e: Realized I should probably post a picture of it:

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 13, 2020

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Two cornish game hens. Charcoal and some apple or peach wood from Oregon. Delicious.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Cured and smoked a piece of chuck.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Cured and smoked a piece of chuck.

Doesn't look all that appetizing. How did it taste/chew?
(Love smoking chucksteak, but really it should be slow smoked till the fibers break down)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's infact smoked to that point, it's amost falling apart stage.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

El Jebus posted:

Two cornish game hens. Charcoal and some apple or peach wood from Oregon. Delicious.

:staredog::"father, I wish to eat the bird"

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'd also like to eat the chicken

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's infact smoked to that point, it's amost falling apart stage.
I've tried chuck twice now and I can't get it to come out right. Came out dry and tough both times. The second time I think I smoked it for a solid 11-12 hours too. Am I missing something?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Whenever I smoke chuck I always finish it by braising it with onions and peppers in stout and worchestershire sauce. It's the only thing I smoke that my girlfriend ever requests.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, I’m done with my Thermoworks Signal and Bellows.

- flakiest network stuff I’ve dealt with. about every third time I check the app I have to reset it to get on Bluetooth to put it on wifi
- no push notifications for temp thresholds anyway
- occasionally forgets that it has a Billows attached and stops controlling it
- when the fan is stopped, it still lets enough work through that I have to partially block the aperture with a piece of paper to keep it under 275F
- the battery drains with nothing attached, and then I have to charge it for a few hours before it will power up and be willing to drive the fan (even with the power supply attached)

I want:
- at least two food probes in addition to the pit probe, ideally more
- mobile notifications for temp thresholds
- temp-driven fan control

Also good:
- some open API so I could hook it up to Home Assistant

Is this the Fireboard and Drive? Am I finally building a Heatermeter?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

Whenever I smoke chuck I always finish it by braising it with onions and peppers in stout and worchestershire sauce. It's the only thing I smoke that my girlfriend ever requests.

Seconded. I usually smoke chuck to 145-160 then put it in chili. It rules.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

^^^ I have a CyberQ Cloud works really well! I had some confusion yesterday because of the location of my temp probe amongst a bunch of cold meat, but it always gets me up to temp and holds it there. it has a really good ramping feature so that you don't overshoot, too. I just wish there was a better app (or any app at all). I use Pit Pal but it doesn't warn me when the food is done, doesn't tell me when the grill is up to temp, etc. It looks like BBQ Guru has some new temp controllers out so maybe they fixed that.

I smoked some turkey on my 27" weber. Store was out of whole birds but had breasts and legs... which is fine by me as I break it down anyway, it's much quicker and more evenly cooked when it's pieced out and much more juicy. Used a bit of applewood at 325, took about an hour.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Sold, going to try this next time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

dy. posted:

I've tried chuck twice now and I can't get it to come out right. Came out dry and tough both times. The second time I think I smoked it for a solid 11-12 hours too. Am I missing something?

pepper stout beef is what ya need:

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Guitarchitect posted:

I smoked some turkey on my 27" weber. Store was out of whole birds but had breasts and legs... which is fine by me as I break it down anyway, it's much quicker and more evenly cooked when it's pieced out and much more juicy. Used a bit of applewood at 325, took about an hour.

Smoked turkey loving owns and it's easily my favorite way to cook it. If you haven't tried it before, give it a 2 day dry brine before smoking and it's just jaw droppingly moist and delicious.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Speaking of chuck roasts...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

- flakiest network stuff I’ve dealt with. about every third time I check the app I have to reset it to get on Bluetooth to put it on wifi
- when the fan is stopped, it still lets enough work through that I have to partially block the aperture with a piece of paper to keep it under 275F
- the battery drains with nothing attached, and then I have to charge it for a few hours before it will power up and be willing to drive the fan (even with the power supply attached)

I want:

Also good:

I have a CyberQ Cloud from BBQ Guru and am getting the new UltraQ when it comes out soon. You might want to email them and see how long it will be for preorders these days. It was supposed to be soon but that was a few months ago and things are different now...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

dy. posted:

This came out a bit dry but I was lazy and didn't foil it after a few hours so that probably helped. But it doesn't matter as much for sandwich meat. Next time I might just boil it to make corned beef instead.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I want:

Also good:

Come to fireboard.
And yes, they have an API
https://docs.fireboard.io/reference/restapi.html

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's more time but I've gotten a ton of compliments on doing a chuck roast 36 hours sous vide and then a quick 2-3 hour smoke for crust if you want a more traditional BBQ style, going to try chili though that sounds delicious with the extra smokiness.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I want:

Also good:

Heatermeter with an RD3 damper has been rock solid for me for 5+ years. And goon CapnBry makes it !

Like I am at that phase in my life where I can hack hobby tech but really don’t want to gently caress with stuff in the home automation, entertainment, and cooking fields. And I would build another one of these no question. The kits let you assemble quite easily.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hed posted:

Heatermeter with an RD3 damper has been rock solid for me for 5+ years. And goon CapnBry makes it !

Like I am at that phase in my life where I can hack hobby tech but really don’t want to gently caress with stuff in the home automation, entertainment, and cooking fields. And I would build another one of these no question. The kits let you assemble quite easily.

Alas, the kits aren’t available right now, until things get to be a little more post-pandemic than we currently are.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hello goons, I come to you with a question.

I made quite a lot of bbq over the years, and from what people tell me it is good (my country normally doesn't do the typical BBQ, but it gets there). I have done a lot of ribs, pulled pork, picanha and whatever, but I never made a brisket. So now, sitting here with not a lot to do due to Corona, I though I'd do my first brisket.

From what I read, the first brisket fails anyway, but I assume if I complain on the internet, it'll work - Dark Souls style. I have a smoker chuckwagon at my disposal, as well as a big green egg. The cut I got is about 6 pounds, as I don't wanna ruin too much of a dead cow with my first try, so I am thinking about doing it on the egg, but maybe I'll opt for the chuckwagon simply because I haven't used it over the winter and want to see it fired up again.

Reading and watching the hundreds of instructions on the net I think I have a pretty good plan, but I have a question: should I wrap it in butchers papers, and at what temperature, and for how long? There are so many different opinions out there.

I never wrap my pulled pork. I always wrap my ribs (2-2[wrap]-fire). Both of these opinions are debated, I know. For someone who makes/ruins his first brisket this weekend, should I even care about wrapping it? Does it make it easier or introduce another cause for problems? Or should I go full "treat it like pulled pork"?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I didn't wrap my first brisket and by and large, it was the best one I ever did.

At this point, I'd wrap it in butcher paper when the color looks right, around 150ish. This will take it a few hours. As it comes up to temp and is probe tender, you can take it out out of the paper to firm up the bark if its needed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like my results when wrapping with butcher paper vs wrapping with aluminium foil, that's for sure. I haven't done one without wrapping just due to how long it already takes. I feel like I'm cheating with an electric smoker, but to me it didn't seem any harder than a pork shoulder. Do a salt+pepper rub, inject with beef broth, and provide a consistent temperature and it should come out great. Do you know if you got the point or the flat? I much prefer the point.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Okay, that sounds good. What makes me a bit nervous is the "when the color is right" part, because...I have no idea yet when the color is right ;)

Still thinking about treating the first one like "just assume you do pulled pork", without getting into the finer details of a good brisket. I just don't want to gently caress it up by doing too many things I have no feeling for (yet), like wrapping brisket. But your answer tells me I can get a good one without making it too complicated the first time? I mean, I (mostly) have the temperatures under control for many hours, and I also got a good quality cut. Might be safer to make it "as simple as possible" to learn the procedure?

e: oh, sorry, I wrote my post in answer to qutius

Now I'm uncertain...again...

ee: writes on palm "inject with beef broth"....okay, this one's gonna be interesting :) thanks for all the input

The piece I got is just the point, no packer

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is like the bible of brisket smoking, as far as I know. I read it over before I did my first one and reference it regularly, but it is A LOT of info and I think your approach of "keeping it simple" is the correct one.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style