Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
I enjoyed really working with the photos I made prints of. I shoot a lot of film just for fun or with friends, that kinda stuff I feel isn't rewarding to edit heavily. If I knew I was going to spend hours correcting a roll of 35mm I put through a point and shoot at the bar with my friends I would probably just not take those pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

GreaseGunner posted:

I enjoyed really working with the photos I made prints of. I shoot a lot of film just for fun or with friends, that kinda stuff I feel isn't rewarding to edit heavily. If I knew I was going to spend hours correcting a roll of 35mm I put through a point and shoot at the bar with my friends I would probably just not take those pictures.

Alternatively: consider who your audience is and post photos where people will appreciate them - sometimes that's nowhere!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i would rather stay at the same level forever in my hobby where i spend hundreds of dollars on a regular basis, you don't get it

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

This is a nice shot, I like the contrast of the floor vs the more defined textures of her shoes and the weird negative space dog.
It looks like TMax is it?

Also, is anyone else fretting over the future of (color) film now that we have a world-wide pandemic? It is probably going to be a be grim time for the remaining makers of film and the labs that develop it, especially. I will add that I am fully aware that this is an incredibly petty thing to worry about right now, but I can only spend so much time running around in circles with my hair on fire, screaming -- and photography is more or less my life and this is a (dead, gay) photography forum so yeah --

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

This is a nice shot, I like the contrast of the floor vs the more defined textures of her shoes and the weird negative space dog.

Also, is anyone else fretting over the future of (color) film now that we have a world-wide pandemic? It is probably going to be a be grim time for the remaining makers of film and the labs that develop it, especially. I will add that I am fully aware that this is an incredibly petty thing to worry about right now, but I can only spend so much time running around in circles with my hair on fire, screaming -- and photography is more or less my life and this is a (dead, gay) photography forum so yeah --

tri-x shot at 800, d-76 1:1 for 11m45s. i am also very fearful of the death of color film, gently caress me

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

tri-x shot at 800, d-76 1:1 for 11m45s. i am also very fearful of the death of color film, gently caress me

I dunno, Kodak recently raised their prices citing needing funds for CAPEX to build production capacity because demand was on the up and up, they might put that on hold for a bit but as long as the demand is still there after I can't see why they wouldn't survive. More of a problem for the film labs but that's the case for any small business.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VomitOnLino posted:

Yeah I had the same thought. There are going to be a lot of small color labs that close and don’t re-open. There will still be send-out to Fuji though and the bigger ones will probably stay open.

Gonna be a tough year for a lot of niche businesses, and this isn’t going to be over by Easter for sure.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I love the soft light and colours (at least on my uncalibrated monitor), but the car kinda ruins it.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I love the soft light and colours (at least on my uncalibrated monitor), but the car kinda ruins it.

Agree about the car BUT if you imagine what it would look like with the car cropped out the balance is completely off, I couldn't tell you why but I just get that wrong feeling if I cut it out.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Got a 150mm for my Bronica and took a walkabout with a roll of Delta400.
Struggled with the lens, as I've been so used to the 80mm on the MF and 150mm on the LF, but I guess I'll get used to it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Wasn’t Kodak Alaris in trouble a while back? Never heard anything more about that. It’d be a mega bummer if ektar and portra went away.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ah, i see that you’re a multi-media artist.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i mean i am absolutely aping John Divola who does actually spray paint his own stuff and photograph it

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I love this. Enjoying those lines.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

ansel autisms posted:

i mean i am absolutely aping John Divola who does actually spray paint his own stuff and photograph it
Crazy John Divola!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I screwed up a roll of FP4+, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. Came out really contrast-y and the highlights especially went nuts on me (I had to do a bunch of adjustments on these shots just to get them to this point). Shot box speed on an Elan 7 using centered weighted metering and developed in Ilfosol 3 at 14:1. Anyone have any advice?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

President Beep posted:

I screwed up a roll of FP4+, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. Came out really contrast-y and the highlights especially went nuts on me (I had to do a bunch of adjustments on these shots just to get them to this point). Shot box speed on an Elan 7 using centered weighted metering and developed in Ilfosol 3 at 14:1. Anyone have any advice?

The center areas of both of these frames contain objects that are darker than most of the rest of the frame, which might explain the highlights. Aside from that, I've found FP4+ to be more contrasty than other films I use.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

The center areas of both of these frames contain objects that are darker than most of the rest of the frame, which might explain the highlights. Aside from that, I've found FP4+ to be more contrasty than other films I use.

I guess I was expected something a little more subtle given that Ilford touts its wide exposure latitude, which is why I assumed I goofed something up process-wise. I’ve shot it before and was happier with the results, but that was using HC-110. Dunno if that has anything to do with it.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

President Beep posted:

I guess I was expected something a little more subtle given that Ilford touts its wide exposure latitude, which is why I assumed I goofed something up process-wise. I’ve shot it before and was happier with the results, but that was using HC-110. Dunno if that has anything to do with it.

Ilfosol was always a bit grainy for me. I've been using T-Max and I've been pretty happy with that.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Dudeabides posted:

Ilfosol was always a bit grainy for me. I've been using T-Max and I've been pretty happy with that.

Definitely didn’t see much grain with this particular combination. TBH I would’ve been okay with a little bit. What I do see is some blotchiness in the mid-gray shadows which can be made worse by cranking the contrast way down in post.

There’s no shortage of opinions out there on how to shoot this film, and I’ve seen a few instances of people claiming that a little overexposure/rodinal at 1:50 will tame the contrast and open up the shadows a bit. That might be my next experiment.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’m gonna figure this out, and it’s gonna be great!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Thought this might be a good time to drop in a video I just made of the automatic film processor I've been working on. It's pretty close to being done as a prototype now, at least it's capable of actually developing film. Still a lot of 'nice to have' tweaks but I'm on-track to start selling them this year (perfect timing, right into a pandemic and global depression...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y_88YVmjBs

Blackhawk fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 10, 2020

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

President Beep posted:

Definitely didn’t see much grain with this particular combination. TBH I would’ve been okay with a little bit. What I do see is some blotchiness in the mid-gray shadows which can be made worse by cranking the contrast way down in post.

There’s no shortage of opinions out there on how to shoot this film, and I’ve seen a few instances of people claiming that a little overexposure/rodinal at 1:50 will tame the contrast and open up the shadows a bit. That might be my next experiment.

I've been trying to get less grain in my images, but I think it may be how I'm developing or the film, or who the gently caress knows really because I've been too lazy to make a control for the experiment.

I've been pushing my rolls of HP5+ by a stop and I'm liking what that's doing.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Tried a different tack with my scanner. I was doing some preliminary corrections plus my inversion in the scanner interface. Changed it up so that any manipulation is done in LR. Some improvement (plus some weird blotchy-ness in the mid-grays is much better now) but still a lot of contrast.

[

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

scan as positive, 48 bit, tiff

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

scan as positive, 48 bit, tiff

I’m pretty shaky on the whole color depth spec thing. I can choose between 8 bit, 16 bit, or 16 bit linear, and I’ve been selecting the last one with the hopes of getting the flattest, data rich scan possible. Does that mean 16 bits per channel? If so, can I only achieve 48 bits if I scan as a color image?

It’s a relatively old Minolta dimage iii, if that makes any difference.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

yep, you've got it. 48 bit = 16 bits per channel, you're on the right track looking for the flattest scan possible.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cool. Thanks for the guidance.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

In case anyone still gives a rat's rear end about my learning-by-doing fumbles, I rescanned some of the shots using a Vuescan trial copy and was able to get much flatter .tiffs than with Mionlta's first party software. I swear I hosed with every setting I could at first but for the life of me I wasn't able to get off to a good start using the Minolta tool. Vuescan made it much easier to set things up to my liking. Went ahead and bought a license for it. Much happier now.

Here's my third attempt at this image:

This shot was unusable at first. The highlights on the right side of the tree were pretty much pure, glowing white:

:shrug:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

good stuff dude you're getting the hang of it

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I always had huge troubles with vuescan for color films (always clipping my blue channel) and ended up sticking with Silverfast, shame it's so loving expensive though

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ansel autisms posted:

I always had huge troubles with vuescan for color films (always clipping my blue channel) and ended up sticking with Silverfast, shame it's so loving expensive though

You can usually get 20% off (still expensive, admittedly) by downloading the demo, messing around with it, and then just ignoring it for a few weeks after it expires. They'll send you a "special offer".

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Messing around: Formapan100 + DDX stand development:
Mostly just trying to see if it would work

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Blackhawk posted:

Thought this might be a good time to drop in a video I just made of the automatic film processor I've been working on. It's pretty close to being done as a prototype now, at least it's capable of actually developing film. Still a lot of 'nice to have' tweaks but I'm on-track to start selling them this year (perfect timing, right into a pandemic and global depression...).

*JOBO would like to know your location*

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

The Modern Sky posted:

*JOBO would like to know your location*

The Chromabox is *very* different to any of the JOBO machines though, it's much more similar to the no-longer-produced phototherm, but with some significant improvements.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

looks great.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Looks like it worked. What was your dev time and dilution?

Blackhawk posted:

Man, I really want this but I don't know if I could afford it now with the pandemic happening and all my work drying up. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

VoodooXT posted:

Looks like it worked. What was your dev time and dilution?

Man, I really want this but I don't know if I could afford it now with the pandemic happening and all my work drying up. :smith:

Fingers crossed your work picks up after the pandemic my dude, I'm trying to make it as cheap as I can without also making it lovely.