Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Oodles posted:

I just don’t like showering in an over bath, I feel like I’m always cold.

Gender breakdown is 4 girls. :unsmith:
You're gonna need a bigger hot water heater.

I usually think it's stupid to have double sinks, but with 4 people in one bathroom it makes sense. Lots of counterspace and drawer storage underneath, too. You can try to get them to do makeup at vanities in their own rooms, but that doesn't work so well for hair. How old are they now?

I agree in this situation it might make more sense to have the toilet/sink separated, like they are in some hotel rooms, and ideally even accessible from the hallway, so that if one or two people are locked in the main bathroom forever, you don't end up with everyone else hammering on the door begging to pee.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm the trip hazard

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I would definitely prioritize efficiency above all else if you're sharing among 4 people. I would carve out another bathroom, or at least a dressing area with sink. There's space for it.The ideal would be to get double vanities in both so each girl gets their own space, but if not at least put a double medicine cabinet space and decent counter space on each side. I live alone and don't even wear makeup and I still don't have enough room for #justgirlythings in my bathroom.

The Zillow search term of the day is "makeup"

good god that's a lot of shoes

all makeup tables need candelabras

bonus: the worst vanity

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 12, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

That is amazing. Someone did this on purpose. If this wasn't done out of spite then I am just completely dumbfounded. :stonklol:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm an unkempt male goon and I'm jealous of this bathroom. :allears:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

If you are gonna have 4 teen girls using 1 sink, enjoy never using the bathroom again.

It’s woods pooping for you from here on out.

Zillow keyword: outhouse

According to the listing, it has electricity!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "makeup"

I really like the storage space in the center instead of one long mirror, seems like a much better use of that middle space.

Youth Decay posted:

This just brings me a lot of joy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think the issue with the paint was that the paper sample wasn't big enough to really give me a good idea of what to expect. I should've painted a square first. I'll probably have it repainted by someone else, as I need to have the humidity damage fixed anyway. Something on this scale probably:

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6240-windy-blue

the 224 row, either windy blue or aleutian

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Youth Decay posted:

If the sink was integral, and there was a drain at the bottom of that, I'd be willing to call it good, but impractical. I don't hate the idea of a little waterwall on my vanity.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

From House & Garden, April 1982

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

I'm just trying to figure out why the paint looks less gray then the sample. It's one of those notecard size samples like they have at the store. If I put it on the wall it's clearly different than the paint.

Cards are always at best an approximation of what a color is going to be, so that's why you get a proper paint sample to try first.

Another issue that can crop up is if you do a paint+primer combo, the shade is often a little lighter than what would be just paint. Caveat emptor.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

From House & Garden, April 1982

:homebrew: I'll take two

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

Cards are always at best an approximation of what a color is going to be, so that's why you get a proper paint sample to try first.

Another issue that can crop up is if you do a paint+primer combo, the shade is often a little lighter than what would be just paint. Caveat emptor.

Hmm okay thanks for the info. I just got ahead of myself, I should have gotten a few more samples first. I get carried away sometimes :P

Speaking of getting carried away, my new laminate is being installed tomorrow! It will take a few days.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Bubbacub posted:

Zillow keyword: outhouse

No interior shots? Cowards.

The ordering of the photos makes this one seem like the TARDIS of outhouses:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The ordering of the photos makes this one seem like the TARDIS of outhouses:

That listing reinforces every stereotype about Finland that I have in my head.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Technically this isn't interior design, but I'd like to hear your ideas for furnishing a wide but shallow balcony.

Mostly I'd like to use this space for reading, eating and growing herbs and vegetables.

I have a similar space. I hang herb pots and growbags on the outside to maximise the light they get (it only gets evening sun) and to free up space on the inside, and I have a set of fairy lights around the railing to pretty it up. It's a work in progress, though, right now it's pretty bare because I've powerhosed the decking and am trying to decide whether or not to paint it and if so, which colour. I've just ordered this set: https://www.leenbakker.nl/outlet/loungeset-leon-wit-rood-4-delig to go on it as it's bright and weather proof. I suspect the full set might make the balcony a little bit crowded, though, but I have other options for where to put the couch. My balcony is a little more exposed than yours so I want to get some tall planters with tall plants (grasses, maybe) to put in the corners to at least give the illusion of privacy.

For your balcony, first of all I would scrub those plant holders up, fill them with herb plants and rehang them on the outside. You could also start some pea plants and when they're quite healthy, put them in a long planter and train them up that grille at the back.

How's your budget? You could either spruce up the furniture that you have with a lick of paint and add some cushions, or buy some new multifunctional space saving items like this: https://www.fermob.com/en/Products/Furniture/Tables/Rectangular-tables/balcony-table-57-x-77-cm-bistro. Similarly, you could get an outdoor mat: https://www.ikea.com/nl/en/p/morum-rug-flatwoven-in-outdoor-dark-grey-in-outdoor-10203573/ or some outdoor tiling: https://www.ikea.com/nl/en/search/products/?q=balcony%20floor

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just dont put a mirror anywhere in the bathroom. Life hacked!

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Sarah Bellum posted:

For your balcony, first of all I would scrub those plant holders up, fill them with herb plants and rehang them on the outside.

I'd love to do this, since it would save so much space, but hanging stuff outside the balcony railings is specifically banned by the co-op. We've filled up the railing planters and plan to get a few more. The plan is to grow tomatoes and bell peppers up lattices like these:
https://www.plantasjen.no/espalier-uttrekkbart-lengde-2.6-m-hvit-2422032.html

Sarah Bellum posted:

How's your budget? You could either spruce up the furniture that you have with a lick of paint and add some cushions, or buy some new multifunctional space saving items like this: https://www.fermob.com/en/Products/Furniture/Tables/Rectangular-tables/balcony-table-57-x-77-cm-bistro. Similarly, you could get an outdoor mat: https://www.ikea.com/nl/en/p/morum-rug-flatwoven-in-outdoor-dark-grey-in-outdoor-10203573/ or some outdoor tiling: https://www.ikea.com/nl/en/search/products/?q=balcony%20floor
I'm going to go with treating the current furniture with some furniture oil for now.

I'm willing to consider replacing the bench with something that would allow me to lie down, though, because the current bench is too short for that. Whatever replaces it also has to replicate it's other purpose as a storage bin, because the pots in the background went in there.

Some dort of tiling or decking is also on the list once I figure out how to get around the fact that our balcony's depth isn't neatly divisible by 30 cm, which seems to be the standard size for tiles.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm sorry that I don't know the source, but I feel compelled to share this goofy lil chair. God, why.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I'm sorry that I don't know the source, but I feel compelled to share this goofy lil chair. God, why.

You can have sex with, or on that chair. Or both.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Wait. I just realized there's a perfectly decent stool in the background. Someone bought a stool chair, and then this goofy rear end-chair. I feelhomicidal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wait. I just realized there's a perfectly decent stool in the background. Someone bought a stool chair, and then this goofy rear end-chair. I feelhomicidal.

No, see, if you just got a second stool someone would put a plant on it. You need a chair that cannot under any circumstances support a potted plant.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Technically this isn't interior design, but I'd like to hear your ideas for furnishing a wide but shallow balcony.

Mostly I'd like to use this space for reading, eating and growing herbs and vegetables.

We made a bar for our long thin balcony that attaches to the railing itself. We just drag chairs out there when want to use it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

day 1 of person installing floor just about done. That chopping tool seems pretty awesome

Only registered members can see post attachments!

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

My friends parents had one of those chairs when I was young, although in a delightful orange/beige. Weirdly comfy

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "painted lady".
In addition to being slang for a prostitute, a Painted Lady is a Victorian home or rowhome painted in garish colors. Often these homes are equally colorful on the inside.

A yellow parlor inside a very purple house

This is the most tastefully furnished room in this
house

My favorite

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

I just realized my wall is a slightly bluer version of periwinkle

I'm dying

Gonna have a pro repaint this poo poo and fix all the humidity damage, gently caress that

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This a level beyond Big Piano Energy. It's called: motherfucking harpsichord.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is obviously supposed to be a draped bed, but without the drapes covering it just looks like a weird hospital bed instead.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This a level beyond Big Piano Energy. It's called: motherfucking harpsichord.

Nah, that's scrub tier. The real flaunt is to has a pretty normal suburban track home

With a mother-loving pipe organ in the attached garage.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have a cousin who's a (semi-retired) professional organist, she would one million percent have a pipe organ house if she could. She's pretty much enslaved to the music programs at her local churches for that sweet sweet pipe time.

Like, can you imagine being an organist and NOT being a Christian? Or just not liking the churches around? Yowzers.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 14, 2020

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have a cousin who's a (semi-retired) professional organist, she would one million percent have a pipe organ house if she could. She's pretty much enslaved to the music programs at her local churches for that sweet sweet pipe time.

Like, can you imagine being an organist and NOT being a Christian? Or just not liking the churches around? Yowzers.

Yeah, it's those or the odd Iron Butterfly tribute band.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XECkSZvvxQc

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Suspect Bucket posted:

I mean, they use organs at stadiums, and there's a restaurant here in Milwaukee that has an organ in it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

She missed her window. That house was only $130,000. Although you'd need some extra cash if you lived there in order to get the incredibly sweet light effects setup you'd need to go full opera phantom on Halloween.

iospace posted:

I mean, they use organs at stadiums, and there's a restaurant here in Milwaukee that has an organ in it.

Old roller rinks still have them. Basically any venue where you need a full band's worth of sound but only wanted to pay one musician.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I’m a professional singer and my church job’s organist is married to an organ installer/tuner/repairer and they have 4 entire goddamn organs in their house. It’s a good thing that they live out in the country because I would not be responsible for my inevitable actions if I was their neighbor.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Google tells me that the cost of relocating a used organ to a new home can be "as low as $30,000." :homebrew:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

there wolf posted:

She missed her window. That house was only $130,000. Although you'd need some extra cash if you lived there in order to get the incredibly sweet light effects setup you'd need to go full opera phantom on Halloween.

It actually only sold for $90k, which even for it's location (right next to the highway, not the best neighborhood) is kind of shocking. I assume there were other major issues with it, besides the organ.

At least it sold to someone who can appreciate it :3: https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/2015/03/small_house_with_big_pipe_orga.html

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sirotan posted:

It actually only sold for $90k, which even for it's location (right next to the highway, not the best neighborhood) is kind of shocking. I assume there were other major issues with it, besides the organ.

At least it sold to someone who can appreciate it :3: https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/2015/03/small_house_with_big_pipe_orga.html

I'm am genuinely delighted that most of the interest in the house came from organists, and it eventually sold to someone who played and would really appreciate that feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There was a guy on my local craigslist giving a full pipe organ setup removed from a church away. I considered getting it. I have a small barn it could have been installed into but I'm only renting this house so I figured it wasn't a good idea.
He'd just had it piled up in his garage for 20+ years.