Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
A juicer.

Oh lord what a lovely snipe, it's a manual juicer. Probably cast iron.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nvm

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Juice presses are way easier to use than the reamer type. I had both and multiple times tried juicing the leftover pressed pieces with the electric reamer type. The amount of juice I got out was minuscule. Unless you like a ton of pulp in your juice (which is perfectly fine), the press is the way to go.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm looking for a pot that has been split down the middle. Basically a tall pot (nothing too big) that has a metal divider so you can hear and cook two seperate liquids at once. Does such a thing exist?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
That seems incredibly impractical. I have never seen such a thing for stovetop cooking.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Croatoan posted:

That seems incredibly impractical. I have never seen such a thing for stovetop cooking.

Yeah I don't think I have either but I was curious... Not sure why it seems impractical though.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
compared to using two pots to cook two liquids?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Skyarb posted:

I'm looking for a pot that has been split down the middle. Basically a tall pot (nothing too big) that has a metal divider so you can hear and cook two seperate liquids at once. Does such a thing exist?

this sounds like exactly like a two-broth hot pot setup, they certainly exist for those purposes. e.g.:

it's probably not very useful unless you're, you know, making hot pot

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 13, 2020

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Vim Fuego posted:

compared to using two pots to cook two liquids?

Yeah two pots take up way more storage space and dishwasher space

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Skyarb posted:

Yeah I don't think I have either but I was curious... Not sure why it seems impractical though.

I thought of two reasons. Even if you ladle out most of each, you'll still need to pour them out of the pot and they'd have to mix. Also, if you didn't have the same mass in each then you'd have a weird temperature differential. Maybe I'm overthinking it though idk.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Does anyone have any thoughts about using carbon steel as one's non stick pan (except for acidic things) instead of a teflon pan? I'm in a spot where my current non-stick pans need to be replaced, and that situation where the non-stick coating is partially gone, but not quite enough to justify getting a new one really sucks since it drags on for a year or so of having a pan that's not quite bad enough to replace.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts about using carbon steel as one's non stick pan (except for acidic things) instead of a teflon pan? I'm in a spot where my current non-stick pans need to be replaced, and that situation where the non-stick coating is partially gone, but not quite enough to justify getting a new one really sucks since it drags on for a year or so of having a pan that's not quite bad enough to replace.

I've hemmed and hawed about the same thing myself. I will say, having worked with carbon steel pans pretty extensively, they're never going to be the same as Teflon. They're more forgiving than stainless, for sure, but it's not like non-stick where you can just put something into a cold pan and be fine. I like them a lot but I don't know that they precisely fill the same role.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Skyarb posted:

Yeah two pots take up way more storage space and dishwasher space
What two liquids are you cooking in equal quantities simultaneously so often you need a dedicated device to do so?

For something like hot pot I could maybe see it if you're basically just simmering stock with two different seasonings. But most other poo poo just ain't going to work out if you're trying to heat them at the same time. Like you couldn't simmer sauce and boil water for pasta in a divided pot without loving one, the other, or (more likely) both up.
Just imagine trying to clean that thing if you use anything other than broth/stock in it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Carbon steel is fantastic but Teflon is better if you are trying to cook without oil. I have a Lodge CS and eggs will slide around with nothing more than a shot of Pam, fish doesn't stick, peeled shrimp you have to keep moving or they will stick. I rarely use Teflon any more. Carbon steel pans are flared with a small bottom so a 10" is effectively the size of an 8" Teflon pan, so get the 12".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Carbon steel will never be as nonstick as a new Teflon but it’s good enough for eggs with fat

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It doesn't have to be new teflon. But if it's as good as ~year old teflon, but stays that way forever (provided you take care of it), instead of getting worse and worse, that would be fantastic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Year old Teflon still better but I always cook eggs on my carbon steel with plenty of oil or butter so if you’re okay with that bar go for it

I strongly suggest a preseasoned one. Getting my naked matfer up to this level was a Sisyphean task

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

eke out posted:

what is that type called

Y'all weren't kidding about the lack of name

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Gard...option=47964345

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

wormil posted:

flared with a small bottom

:haw:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I swear someone posted in this thread ages ago about a specific brand that is supposed to be the best. I know that’s not much help , but good luck.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just get any one of them

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

SubG posted:

What two liquids are you cooking in equal quantities simultaneously so often you need a dedicated device to do so?

I make homemade ramen and freeze the left over stock. So when I want some fancy ramen I just grab a block of frozen stock, heat it up in a pan, then boil some water, add the noodles, and add everything in a bowl with tare, oil etc.

However that guy raises a good point that it makes pouring impossible so this was a stupid idea and question.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey man asking dumb questions is how you get smarter

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Got some more dumb questions then. What is the rolls royce of pans?

Like I have a lovely cast iron I use for searing cause I know its really good at holding heat, but it weighs a ton and its a pain in the rear end to use.

I also have this ikea stainless steel pan which I like but also weighs a loving ton, but its good for things the cast iron can't do (acidic stuff I guess?)

And then I have my basic aluminum non-stick pans. Which are pretty all purpose I guess?

But then I hear about things like copper pans, and I am sure there are other types out there that exist. Obviously non-stick has its use, as does cast-iron/stainless steel, but as I am starting to actually collect quality cookware, I am curious if there is something I should really be looking for?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Copper pans basically are the Rolls Royce of pans in that they are a waste of time and money. Don't bother.

I mean you look pretty set as far as skillets go. Maybe take some time to experiment with what you have. Cast iron is only lovely if you don't take care of it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

kittenmittons posted:

Copper pans basically are the Rolls Royce of pans in that they are a waste of time and money. Don't bother.

I mean you look pretty set as far as skillets go. Maybe take some time to experiment with what you have. Cast iron is only lovely if you don't take care of it.

Been cooking with what I have for years and years. And I take care of my cast iron, but my point is that is a pain in the rear end. Do I do it? Yeah. Am I a lazy gently caress? Also yes.

Appreciate the insight on copper though. What about carbon steel?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Skyarb posted:

Been cooking with what I have for years and years. And I take care of my cast iron, but my point is that is a pain in the rear end. Do I do it? Yeah. Am I a lazy gently caress? Also yes.

Appreciate the insight on copper though. What about carbon steel?

Carbon steel is the same deal as cast iron. Its a smoother surface than cast iron, but you still have to treat it the same way.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

kittenmittons posted:

Carbon steel is the same deal as cast iron. Its a smoother surface than cast iron, but you still have to treat it the same way.

Isn't it lighter and typically easier to manuever?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Nitrousoxide posted:

It doesn't have to be new teflon. But if it's as good as ~year old teflon, but stays that way forever (provided you take care of it), instead of getting worse and worse, that would be fantastic.

I would say it's as good as year old Teflon. Carbon steel is surprisingly nonstick. It's oven safe like cast but heats up faster. And you can get it ripping hot, unlike Teflon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Carbon steel is thinner than cast iron. They can get hotter than cast iron pans on my stovetop, which makes me think it’s because they’re thinner and more directly passing on heat from the burner to the food. Cast iron might be able to hold a larger thermal load since it’s thicker, but I haven’t done the tests to conclude so.

If you have money and can deal with their handle shape, get All Clads. I personally hate the handles, but the Thomas Keller All Clad line from Williams Sonoma has nice handles and slightly goofy lids.

If you don’t have money, the Cuisinart, Tramontina and Kitchen-Aid lines with tri-ply or multiclad material are almost as good for a fraction of the price. I used to recommend the Calphalons but after 10 years of having them I can say they’re thinner than other multiclad pans and therefore slightly less even and more prone to warping.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Skyarb posted:

Isn't it lighter and typically easier to manuever?

Yeah, but not by much.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, the fact that carbon steel can have a long handle without fear of snapping off is a big plus

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

Carbon steel is thinner than cast iron. They can get hotter than cast iron pans on my stovetop, which makes me think it’s because they’re thinner and more directly passing on heat from the burner to the food. Cast iron might be able to hold a larger thermal load since it’s thicker, but I haven’t done the tests to conclude so.

If you have money and can deal with their handle shape, get All Clads. I personally hate the handles, but the Thomas Keller All Clad line from Williams Sonoma has nice handles and slightly goofy lids.

If you don’t have money, the Cuisinart, Tramontina and Kitchen-Aid lines with tri-ply or multiclad material are almost as good for a fraction of the price. I used to recommend the Calphalons but after 10 years of having them I can say they’re thinner than other multiclad pans and therefore slightly less even and more prone to warping.

I've heard you can get good carbon steel pans for cheap from restaurant supplier stores.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
IMO the "rolls royce" of pans are the D5 all-clad line. I own them. They are not worth the money difference for what you get. I mean sure, my grandkids can inherit these and they'll be functionally like new but do you really need to invest in your grandkids' kitchen? In hindsight I'd rather I had just invested that cash in a better oven or something. If you want really nice pans that aren't stupid expensive I'd suggest like Steve said, just regular all-clad but not all-clad brand or a nice carbon steel pan.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Pans don't matter much in terms of how your food turns out. What matters more is the quality of your heat source - if you have a small burner with a large pan on top of it you'll have a hard time getting good heat distribution.

I like the All Clad pans because stainless steel is really easy to clean and they're super durable. Brands like cuisinart tri-ply offer a similar effect for 1/4 the price (though they did warp a bit faster for me). Buying new pans generally won't upgrade your food unless your old pans were warped and you were cooking on an electric stovetop.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

No Wave posted:

Buying new pans generally won't upgrade your food unless your old pans were warped and you were cooking on an electric stovetop.

It's me :smith:

Every place I've lived as an adult has had an electric stovetop (coils under glass, not induction) and they all suck. Although I admit that part of the problem is that I insist on using enormous pans without similarly enormous burners.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 13, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

No Wave posted:

Pans don't matter much in terms of how your food turns out. What matters more is the quality of your heat source - if you have a small burner with a large pan on top of it you'll have a hard time getting good heat distribution.

I like the All Clad pans because stainless steel is really easy to clean and they're super durable. Brands like cuisinart tri-ply offer a similar effect for 1/4 the price (though they did warp a bit faster for me). Buying new pans generally won't upgrade your food unless your old pans were warped and you were cooking on an electric stovetop.

If I ever buy another clad pan I'm going to give Demeyere's Industry5 line a go. I really hate cleaning the areas around rivets in pans.

Skyarb posted:

I've heard you can get good carbon steel pans for cheap from restaurant supplier stores.
Eh... My experience has been that the pricing isn't much better than what I can find on Amazon.

I mostly agree with NoWave about upgrading/food quality/warpage.

That said, you probably would see some benefits upgrading your Ikea clad pan to All-Clad D3 (https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stainless-Dishwasher-Tri-Ply-Bonded/dp/B00FUF5K8W). But it's would pretty big case of diminishing returns for the money.

Otherwise, your money would be better spent on acquiring kitchen gear that would increase the scope of what you can make. For the cost of the aforementioned All-Clad skillet ($120) you could get a:
- Cuisnart Food processor - $130: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-8SY-Custom-11-Cup-Processor/dp/B01AXN5VUC)
- Thermoworks Instant Read Mk4/Classic/Pop - $99/$79/$34: https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4
- Thermoworks ChefAlarm - $64 : https://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm
- A nice 14" wok (though if you don't like dealing with cast iron maintenance, skip this)
- A nice toaster oven. Depending on what you get you could do food dehydrating, but I mainly suggest this one because I personally prefer baking in a toaster oven when I'm not cooking a lot of stuff, heat up time is faster and results are much more even.

If you want to dive a bit more into the pan upgrading, the ATK video about stainless steel pans is a nice starting point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzNOy10nz6s

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I absolutely recommend having a mapp torch in the kitchen. But I still have never got a sear like I can in a hot pan or a crust from a blazing oven with it.

By the way I still ended up using the torch. When I did the oven sear the fatcap split and shrank exposing a big rear end piece of unrendered or charred fat so I did that and it worked great. This thing is handy as hell. I can't believe I kept that little handheld one and didn't upgrade until now.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

IMO the "rolls royce" of pans are the D5 all-clad line. I own them. They are not worth the money difference for what you get. I mean sure, my grandkids can inherit these and they'll be functionally like new but do you really need to invest in your grandkids' kitchen? In hindsight I'd rather I had just invested that cash in a better oven or something. If you want really nice pans that aren't stupid expensive I'd suggest like Steve said, just regular all-clad but not all-clad brand or a nice carbon steel pan.

Can confirm the D5 line rocks, I somehow have managed to accumulate a 9” and 11” skillet set and a saucepan for like $200 total through sales at Williams & Sonoma and Sur la Table. It’s not frequent, but they do go on sale sometimes. Black Friday is also a good time to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I have a mishmash of Calphalon, Cuisinart, and All-Clad pots and pans. The Calphalon stuff (all from the Contemporary line, for whatever it's worth) and All-Clad stuff (from various lines) is all fine and I wouldn't draw any meaningful distinctions between them, beyond aesthetics and so on. The Cuisinart stock pot I own (from the MCP line) is made of substantially inferior stainless, to the point where I got spotting and pitting on it almost immediately, where I've never had trouble with the Calphalon or All-Clad stuff which I use more frequently.

I only have the the one Cuisinart MCP (a 6 qt saucepan) so I can't speak for the whole line, but I won't be buying any more.