Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cryptoclastic posted:

I'm looking to get a new laptop and the new Air is on my radar. It's between this and a Surface Laptop 3 or a GalaxyBook of some sort right now, I think.

I live and work in Korea, and unfortunately a lot of Korea's online stuff requires Internet Explorer to work at all. Specifically, for my online lectures and the online portal for my university, I have to use Internet Explorer. There are also a few Windows-only apps I'd have to install.

This means I will likely need to run Windows on the Air. I've never owned a Mac, so I'm curious how well Windows works on one. Specifically, has anyone used Windows on the new Air?

In the same thread, I guess I want to check if the computer I'm looking at is right for what I need. I will primarily be doing office stuff on the laptop. Grading, writing papers, some light video editing. I'm considering the 1.1ghz quad-core i5 with 16GB of ram and a 512GB HD.

You can either straight up boot into windows and run it (this feature is called Bootcamp and a lot of goons including me have windows partitions on their Mac) or run a VM with Parallels/VMware on your desktop.

What windows-only apps are you trying to run?

If it’s going to be a massive headache I’d also just go with a Surface. But a lot of environments that are initially presented as “windows-only” aren’t really all that prohibitive to Mac/Linux/mobile os use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

There is Internet Explorer mode in the new chromium based edge browser, but I’m not sure if it works well enough for the websites you visit or if that mode is supported in macOS.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
There are a couple of education apps that I would need to open occasionally. They are flash based, I'm pretty sure. Basically student textbook kind of things to show on the computer screen.

The other big pain is that the recording software for the videos I have to make is Windows only. I could record in MacOS and then just piece the files together and upload in Windows, but I feel that defeats the purpose.

I guess I really want a Mac, but unfortunately it's just not in the cards.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

cryptoclastic posted:

There are a couple of education apps that I would need to open occasionally. They are flash based, I'm pretty sure. Basically student textbook kind of things to show on the computer screen.

The other big pain is the recording software for the videos I have to make is Windows only. I could record in MacOS and then just piece them together in Windows, but I feel that defeats the purpose.

I guess I really want a Mac, but unfortunately it's just not in the cards.

Get a 2017 mba and also whatever dumb pc you need.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Most of the time I find changing the user agent in the Developer menu works fine, but it’s no guarantee. If most of your desired options aren’t Macs, I wouldn’t go for the Mac though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

Get a 2017 mba and also whatever dumb pc you need.

I would not get a 2017 MBA but if your budget allows it, grabbing a <$200 windows notebook or even desktop (retired office pc?) isn’t a bad option.

Honestly in my experience the times I have been forced to use windows by work/school/municipal poo poo I’ve always been able to get easy access to a PC either through a library or work or whatever. Like if you’re an academic and you need a windows PC for 2% of your job you can probably readily get access to one. Same reason I don’t bother owning a printer anymore.

Some people on SA get really weirdly mad if you suggest things that aren’t “practical” to people but I also think that doing stuff like trying a new os is pretty great and good for personal enrichment. Academia’s probably the most Mac-friendly work environment by far anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OK this might be a dumb question but I've been using my MBP a lot more at a desk and I'm feeling like I need a mouse.

Does anyone have a good recommendation? Ideally a rechargeable one would be best (hopefully by USBC) and it would be even more awesome if I could use it with my iPad Pro too but that is far down on the wishlist.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

OK this might be a dumb question but I've been using my MBP a lot more at a desk and I'm feeling like I need a mouse.

Does anyone have a good recommendation? Ideally a rechargeable one would be best (hopefully by USBC) and it would be even more awesome if I could use it with my iPad Pro too but that is far down on the wishlist.

mx master

new one has usbc, you can get e last gen one for cheap and it’s great also

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Try it first though. It’s huge and I hated it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xabi posted:

Try it first though. It’s huge and I hated it.

Yeah I'm just not sure about it. It looks huge and kinda expensive at $99?

The previous gen uses Micro USB.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

yea the ‘ergonomic’ shape either really works for people or really doesn’t; it does for me tho. side scroll wheel is amazing for getting work done too

mx anywhere 2s might be a better choice for most people

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ok Comboomer posted:

Honestly in my experience the times I have been forced to use windows by work/school/municipal poo poo I’ve always been able to get easy access to a PC either through a library or work or whatever. Like if you’re an academic and you need a windows PC for 2% of your job you can probably readily get access to one. Same reason I don’t bother owning a printer anymore.

These are experiences that feel pretty irrelevant considering the last few months, and really not particularly relevant for someone who is in Korea.

It’s probably a good idea at this time to have the hardware necessary to complete your job considering you might need to do it remotely for extended periods of time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MarcusSA posted:

I bought a M337 for not much money, it has BT, a real laser sensor, takes an alkaline AA battery once per year and has a physical on/off switch.
It might be a little too small/light for use a main mouse but if you're coming from a trackpad-only lifestyle I doubt that would matter.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

mx anywhere 2s might be a better choice for most people

This is a fantastic mouse. I use it all the time with my laptop for work. The nice thing is you can pair with up to three devices. Used in conjunction with a good bluetooth keyboard* it’s the perfect docked-laptop keyboard/mouse combo.

* - normally I recommend the K810/811 or K380, but apparently Logitech no longer makes those keyboards.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Honestly I don’t think a good feeling mouse has been made in the last 10 years :smuggo:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I see complaints here about thermals and battery life, I’ve got a loaded 6 core $3600 15” for work, and it’s battery life has been about 2 hours when on Zoom calls and such since the day I got it. If I’m actually compiling and doing development work, more like 90 minutes.

I’ve been using the official Apple hdmi+USB dongle while quarantined at home, and sometimes the battery percentage decreases while plugged into the 87W charger. Computing uses a lot of power, no way around it.
Got a 2020 MBA and haven't done anything heavy on it, but Zoom seems to be the killer. Been trying out Turbo Boost Switcher to try to work around that. Seems to work for the most part, and performance has generally been ok at the low rear end speed...for the most part. Fans still started going (to whatever audible speed) last night even without boost, I think the main difference was more people than I had been trying. Or the free version uses more resources :iiam:

Captain Apollo posted:

Day of 4 of MBA 2020: last night was an entire day of Logic X during the morning and Zoom 4 person video conference at night. Constant 95C temps during those loads. No fans.

Day 5: lots of outlook and word and Discord and torrents. No fans, never got hot.

Gotta be honest, I’m really happy with this laptop and if I had never heard about the heat pipe or watched the YouTube video I never would have noticed. So...

It feels like snappy like my 2014 MBA and it’s portable and it has great battery life. Not going to return it!
Sure your fan is working? :raise:
edit:
Going through that thread led to this:
https://fearby.com/article/i-am-moving-away-from-apple-hardware/

quote:

Conclusion

50c lower temps are nicer at idle but in Premiere Pro (exporting video) the laptop was still thermal throttling like mad and temps were terrible (100+). Lets not get started when I start some development VM’s

Conclusion 2 weeks later

This is still not a joy to use. I don’t think I have the right to expect a 5-year-old laptop to keep up running a CPU/GPU intensive OS and applications.

japtor fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 12, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

About 2-3 weeks ago (when this whole thing started) Costco was selling M720 “triathlon” mice for $20, normal msrp $50. No idea if they’re still available, but I’m really happy with mine for $20.

It’s like a cheaper-feeling version of the MXs with Bluetooth, multiple assignable buttons, a “gesture button” that enables aping trackpad gestures and I actually kinda like, and the ability to switch between three saved devices with a button. Uses AA, but I don’t mind using rechargeables.

It works really well (or as well as I imagine a non-Apple mouse with 6 buttons will work) in iPad OS. I posted about it in the iPad thread but you can detect and assign the buttons (except for gesture, if that hasn’t been disabled in the Logitech desktop app—which unfortunately you’ll need to download if you want access to the extra buttons on Mac) through a somewhat obtuse dive into the accessibility control panel and not the normal mouse controls like you’d think. But once you set it up it works really well.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I replaced my mid-2012 MBP 13-inch about 2 years ago, and it's been in storage, unplugged, ever since. Yeah, that's supposed to be bad for the battery. I pulled it out yesterday, charged it up and rebooted. I'm getting a "Service Battery" warning. I'm in the process of "calibrating" the battery now, whatever that accomplishes.

Even before I replaced it, I was noting minor battery life issues...nothing severe, but definitely a shorter life from full charge. Battery cycle count is only at 246, which seem low, because I used it as my work computer seven days a week for 5 years before I replaced it. It stayed plugged in all the time.

Anyway, it's a 8-year-old battery that's been at 0% charge for 2 years, and I'm thinking I should just replace the drat thing regardless. SPEAKING OF WHICH, are there brands I should avoid because they suck? I'm finding replacement batteries anywhere from $40 to $100 online.

Unrelated: the computer is performing shockingly well for being so old. And God, I love the old keyboard. This thing is working like I just peeled the plastic film off.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Tbh I bought the big trackpad and it’s great. I really hate using a mouse with macOS. Any mouse. Especially Apple mice, god I hate them most of all.

Also for anyone that needs to run Windows, if you don’t know, Microsoft makes freely available web browser test VMs available for dev work. Obviously they’re time limited in some respects, but like, they’re VMs that are always available, soooo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mediaphage posted:

Tbh I bought the big trackpad and it’s great. I really hate using a mouse with macOS. Any mouse. Especially Apple mice, god I hate them most of all.

Also for anyone that needs to run Windows, if you don’t know, Microsoft makes freely available web browser test VMs available for dev work. Obviously they’re time limited in some respects, but like, they’re VMs that are always available, soooo

I love the trackpads 1 & 2 so much I haven't used a mouse since 2015.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

I love the trackpads 1 & 2 so much I haven't used a mouse since 2015.

I have no real problem using a mouse in windows, in apps and games there, but I'm still quicker and more precise with a trackpad, at least in macOS.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I seriously used to roll my eyes when people would tell me how much better Mac trackpads were.

Then I tried one.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EL BROMANCE posted:

Most of the time I find changing the user agent in the Developer menu works fine, but it’s no guarantee. If most of your desired options aren’t Macs, I wouldn’t go for the Mac though.

98% of the time this works every time.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Mac trackpads are way better than anything a windows laptop comes with but it’s no replacement for a mouse. Apple mice on the other end are a joke. It’s like they’ve always known and just do it anyway. I cringe when someone tells me they use an Apple mouse 8+ hours a day everyday. “You know you don’t have to use that right?”. “It doesn’t bother me :downs:”. Ignorance is bliss is true just like cypher says in the matrix.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I use an Apple mouse 8+ hours every day.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

American McGay posted:

Is this a bet or something? Who hurt you?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The haptic "click" on the second one tricks me every time.

I kind of want to see a prototype keyboard with haptic divots for "keys".

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Daniel Bryan posted:

I seriously used to roll my eyes when people would tell me how much better Mac trackpads were.

Then I tried one.
Same here. jitouch and bettertouchtool make them even better. I can't imagine using a mouse anymore.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Mac trackpads are way better than anything a windows laptop comes with but it’s no replacement for a mouse. Apple mice on the other end are a joke. It’s like they’ve always known and just do it anyway. I cringe when someone tells me they use an Apple mouse 8+ hours a day everyday. “You know you don’t have to use that right?”. “It doesn’t bother me :downs:”. Ignorance is bliss is true just like cypher says in the matrix.

Depends on use case imo. Like I’d never use a trackpad for gaming. But I’m quicker with them in photoshop and illustrator, text selection, etc. If I were going down through a column that required constant right-click menuing, eh, not sure which I’d want.

American McGay posted:

Gross

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

mx master

new one has usbc, you can get e last gen one for cheap and it’s great also

I like the Mx master a lot. A little pricey but considering I use it for 8-10 hrs a day it’s worth it to me. Really like the big side button for expose and swiping between full screen apps. You can get the previous generation used for a decent price.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I like the Mx master a lot. A little pricey but considering I use it for 8-10 hrs a day it’s worth it to me. Really like the big side button for expose and swiping between full screen apps. You can get the previous generation used for a decent price.

Yeah, the MX Masters are top notch, and the software has even started to not suck lately!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

That article is a bit ridiculous. And I don't mean the modding bit, I appreciate that level of bizzare-ness.

One can add as many heatsinks as one likes but all you'll be doing is extending the turbo time, eventually you're still going to hit max temps. A few screenshots of high CPU temp mean nothing, would be much better off with measuring clocks over time under sustained load and whether the extra heatsinks and fans extended that time.

Thin&light PC laptops still throttle like mad, some are even worse than MBP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Some dude on MR re-pasted his 2020 Air

:haw:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Some dude on MR re-pasted his 2020 Air

:haw:

At least he took the heatsink off first, unlike Max Yuryev in his gimmick "water-cooling the 2020 Macbook Air" :airquote: "test".
He just slathers on the compound, then mashes the coldplate to the heatsink. :downs:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shaocaholica posted:

I have a Dell XPS 13 (current gen 2-in-1) that I use for work and the trackpad is pretty nice? To be fair it's the first one on a PC I've used that I've felt is comparable to my MBP though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

I have a Dell XPS 13 (current gen 2-in-1) that I use for work and the trackpad is pretty nice? To be fair it's the first one on a PC I've used that I've felt is comparable to my MBP though.

:frogout:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I honestly think the ports being hidden behind a hinged door on the first Macbook Air is the worst design in Apple history

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There are a number of very, very stupid design choices for apple mice.

Originally the Just One Button was stupid, and people still argue it wasn't bad because you can just hold CMD down to emulate a right-click context menu. Still stupid.

The magic mouse or whatever they call it is also frustrating because you couldn't (can't? maybe they fixed it) right click if your other finger is resting on the mouse.

The stupid nipple scroll wheel has always been horribly unreliable, and if it gets dirty, hoo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Mu Zeta posted:

I honestly think the ports being hidden behind a hinged door on the first Macbook Air is the worst design in Apple history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOAUI0s8zOE