Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Narcotics! The cause of, and solution to your problems!

Stop saying "Hi, how are you?" and start saying "How high are you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Re: wake up, is there still a potential for a heart attack when using it or did that get shuffled into something that only happens with resistance

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
CE is dead in the water due to missing a C# dev, if any of you would be interested in helping out.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Since my last game ended... on a low note, I decided to try the lisk jungle. Probably a mistake to do it on a mountainous map, I had a super rough start as I started between two packs of lisks but in a relatively nice section bordering the edge mountain that I could wall off easily, but I needed to not have the lisks wander in and there was a aggressive megafauna snake right in the middle of the area. Fortunately the snake wandered out as I was rushing to wall things off and I just barely avoided being early spider food as a Dunalisk went after me just as I finished a wall, forutnately it only beat on the door to get it half health and then wandered off.

But now I've got this nice and secure base to build from with a super small and easy to manage chokepoint. The chokepoint is even right against a big mountain section in the center of the map that started with a big cave system with just three small openings. It also had the initial spawn of spiders in it but the first few raids, a couple of lockjaws, and previously mentioned Dunalisk eventually worked them all down so now the cave system looks like a murder house after everyone has been killed off, including the spiders. So I've got a edge mountain on on side of me, a large cave mountain section with small entrances to the other side, and enough farmable space to support a few people until I can build up hydroponics.

My only real problem at the moment is getting enough chunks or wood to keep building with. I'm not able to go anywhere because the map is a murder zone of all wild predators fighting amoungst themselves and with anything that spawns in, including two large lisk packs, but at the same time unless something decides to batter down a wall my only open entrance is small, easily movable to other small spaces if needed, and pretty secure overall. Not sure if I'm going to continue, I'm pretty sure I could dig through the mountain to the map edge where it opens up to get a caravan out if needed so I think my only real problem is just infestation spawns, but if I do I'll probably switch to a flat map instead of a mountainous one to play it long term.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there a mod for this that lets you make frankensteins or zombies or anything? I have a ton of corpses laying around in the game thanks to a quest that spawned 6 tribals every day to attack a noble capybara, and i want something to do with them that isn't just giving negative moodlets

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I'm jumping back into Rimworld after a 3 month break - drat it feels good to be back on da rim.

1.1 has some nice features, and I'm enjoying Royalty so far. My main pawn has some minor title bestowed upon him but I dont really know the extent of what that means.

Hows the performance improvement since 1.0? I remember my games getting super choppy once I hit 20 pawns.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is there a mod for this that lets you make frankensteins or zombies or anything? I have a ton of corpses laying around in the game thanks to a quest that spawned 6 tribals every day to attack a noble capybara, and i want something to do with them that isn't just giving negative moodlets

Depending on your level of badassery, feed them to your horde of dogs/bears/T-rexes.

Alternately I'm pretty sure the compost mods let you make fertiliser out of your enemies guilt free.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rim magic has necromancers. Raise them as husks to do menial labor or swarm your enemies, or keep the bodies down and explode them when your enemies move around them.

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 12, 2020

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

nessin posted:

Since my last game ended... on a low note, I decided to try the lisk jungle. Probably a mistake to do it on a mountainous map, I had a super rough start as I started between two packs of lisks but in a relatively nice section bordering the edge mountain that I could wall off easily, but I needed to not have the lisks wander in and there was a aggressive megafauna snake right in the middle of the area. Fortunately the snake wandered out as I was rushing to wall things off and I just barely avoided being early spider food as a Dunalisk went after me just as I finished a wall, forutnately it only beat on the door to get it half health and then wandered off.

But now I've got this nice and secure base to build from with a super small and easy to manage chokepoint. The chokepoint is even right against a big mountain section in the center of the map that started with a big cave system with just three small openings. It also had the initial spawn of spiders in it but the first few raids, a couple of lockjaws, and previously mentioned Dunalisk eventually worked them all down so now the cave system looks like a murder house after everyone has been killed off, including the spiders. So I've got a edge mountain on on side of me, a large cave mountain section with small entrances to the other side, and enough farmable space to support a few people until I can build up hydroponics.

My only real problem at the moment is getting enough chunks or wood to keep building with. I'm not able to go anywhere because the map is a murder zone of all wild predators fighting amoungst themselves and with anything that spawns in, including two large lisk packs, but at the same time unless something decides to batter down a wall my only open entrance is small, easily movable to other small spaces if needed, and pretty secure overall. Not sure if I'm going to continue, I'm pretty sure I could dig through the mountain to the map edge where it opens up to get a caravan out if needed so I think my only real problem is just infestation spawns, but if I do I'll probably switch to a flat map instead of a mountainous one to play it long term.

All the lisks go to sleep at night, so if you switch to a night time schedule you have ~6 hours to head out and grab things.

I did a solo Summoner (from rimworld of magic) naked brutality run and it's pretty great. The minions will haul and clean so I let them out every night to haul in corpses, after about a year I had about 10,000 meat in storage.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

sharkbomb posted:

Hows the performance improvement since 1.0? I remember my games getting super choppy once I hit 20 pawns.

I'm up to I think ~40 or so pawns and ~30 animals, and I'm just starting to see a 3x slowdown. Before, it would start closer to 20-30 pawns.

It's better, is what I'm trying to say.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good mod for gradually making my pawns overpowered that isn't Android Tiers? I messed around with the mod options of it and now world maps can't be generated, instead of figuring it out I just want to mix it up a little :shrug:

I tried Rimworld of Magic in the past and it didn't really click with me, I'll try it again but I'm open to other suggestions too.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

Can anyone recommend a good mod for gradually making my pawns overpowered that isn't Android Tiers? I messed around with the mod options of it and now world maps can't be generated, instead of figuring it out I just want to mix it up a little :shrug:

I tried Rimworld of Magic in the past and it didn't really click with me, I'll try it again but I'm open to other suggestions too.

EPOE, Glittertech, and Project Rimfactory's Insanity module all combine in really hilarious ways. The Project Rimfactory module lets you replicate things out of paperclips, and Glittertech and EPOE both have some comically overpowered implants individually but working together gets really fun. It does take a while to really get the paperclip engine running and the research costs are ludicrous for that alone never mind everything else. That said at endgame you'll have pawns that can run at 400 speed with an immune system that'll outpace any disease without treatment (lol Glittertech), can do any work almost instantly, with EPOE's full set of brain implants does any work with competence at a bare minimum, has a sword that'll do 1000dps in the hands of someone normal let alone as a bionic god (lol RimFactory Insane Module's z-composite), and has armor that's a giant gently caress you to taking any damage ever (AKA clothes made with z-composite, lol z-composite). Add in Mechanite Forge with the Trollblood and Seraphium serums to make it nigh impossible to bleed out and can regenerate biological limbs if replacement bionics aren't immediately available just as that extra touch.

If the z-composite things are too much for you, just sticking to something like Glittertech's beta-poly (also stupidly overpowered but less than z-composite) can also work.

Thanks to Glittertech you'll still see challenge from the hilariously overpowered attacks from factions in that mod. Orion Corp is loving ludicrous, but in the long term your bionic gods will shred them.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Learned my lesson not to be overconfident with lisks. Had a tax patrol come by and cleaned out a whole section of the map after some hefty losses, so I thought I'd reclaim a lot of it by walling it in. Got most way done but then a bunch of eggs hatched. After killing 7 or 8 small lisks I had to run and heal up from nearly dying to the acid. By the time I was healed and could afford to go out again the lisk hatchlings which I'd run from, another 5 or 6, became full grown and now I've got a big pack of lisks just outside my base.

Edit:
Whelp, eventually lost it all. Titanboa came by and had a conflict with the lisks which cleared most of them out. I had one left to kill which I did then cleared out the nearby eggs. Right as I picked up the last eggs four full size lisks aggro'd from way farther than was reasonable. They chased me into my base and my last defense door was only wood, maybe one might have stopped before it tore it down but with three beating on it fell quickly and they overwhelmed me.

nessin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 12, 2020

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

Complications posted:

Thanks to Glittertech you'll still see challenge from the hilariously overpowered attacks from factions in that mod. Orion Corp is loving ludicrous, but in the long term your bionic gods will shred them.

I stopped using Glittertech after too many early-mid game colonies were annihilated by Orion Corp raids. They're instant gameovers because you can't even run away fast enough to abandon the colony and start over; they murder everyone in just a minute or two.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I don't want to complain too much, but holy moly mechaniod cluster spam on protect the [thing] quests are really not fun.

I do like the idea of the clusters, but if you don't have mortars it really hurts and destroying one (plus recovery) usually takes more time than the delay between cluster spawns.

You're usually given a group of pawns to help you, but the clusters keep spawning until you get rid of the VIP at which point the temps immediatly leave. I think it would be ok if the temp pawns remained for 2-3 days after completion to help clear the remaining clusters, but currently you are just left with a bunch of raids calculated on the inflated colony size, but you are now back to the your normal population.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What to do with corpses: crematorium or dump them all in the creek or whatever.

Getting clever with corpses: chop them up and feed them to the dogs, etc.

Turning corpses into cool poo poo: create human leather “decorations” for your killbox, etc.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I don't want to complain too much, but holy moly mechaniod cluster spam on protect the [thing] quests are really not fun.

I do like the idea of the clusters, but if you don't have mortars it really hurts and destroying one (plus recovery) usually takes more time than the delay between cluster spawns.

You're usually given a group of pawns to help you, but the clusters keep spawning until you get rid of the VIP at which point the temps immediatly leave. I think it would be ok if the temp pawns remained for 2-3 days after completion to help clear the remaining clusters, but currently you are just left with a bunch of raids calculated on the inflated colony size, but you are now back to the your normal population.

Just suicide the temps into the clusters before you load the VIP on the shuttle. You usually have a few days once the shuttle arrives to do it anyway.

Use wake up and go juice if you have it. Empire cataphracts especially will gently caress some mechanoids up before they go down.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

jokes posted:

What to do with corpses: crematorium or dump them all in the creek or whatever.

Getting clever with corpses: chop them up and feed them to the dogs, etc.

Turning corpses into cool poo poo: create human leather “decorations” for your killbox, etc.

Only ever played a goodie-good, do i get negative moods from just butchering humans?

lol "just"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arrath posted:

Only ever played a goodie-good, do i get negative moods from just butchering humans?

lol "just"

Yes. There are workarounds but they're a bunch of hassle.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Yes. There are workarounds but they're a bunch of hassle.

Yeah I don't feel like carting a load of corpses to the next cell along with a butcher table. I'll just let the wolves eat the bodies from the corpse dumping pile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you need to mass dispose of them quickly then put them all in a pile and throw a molotov at them.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

You can use corpse stockpiles to create massive corpse fields near the main entry points to your map and then use an incendiary shell to light it all up if a raid decides to walk through it

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Human meats really good for making kibble, or even just make a corpse freezer and have the meat eating animals have access to it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think that Ye Olde Goone Wisdome is to toss all the dead bodies in a pile for your animals to eat, but that seems horrific and cruel so I instead butcher the dead bodies and mix it together with some corn to make kibble for all my puppies to eat. I haven't done it in a while but I also don't remember there being a negative moodlet; if there is one it must be slight.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In addition to the mood penalty, all colonists get a long-lasting negative social opinion about the colonist who did the human butchering, so your chefs will become the nexus of a lot of insults and social fights if you go big on human butchery.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

jokes posted:

I instead butcher the dead bodies and mix it together with some corn to make kibble for all my puppies to eat. I haven't done it in a while but I also don't remember there being a negative moodlet; if there is one it must be slight.

this is less calorie-efficient than taking just the corn and making it into nutrient paste for the dogs.

nutrient paste is very efficient and kibble is not particularly efficient at all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have about 800 hours into Rimworld and have yet to use nutrient paste in any form.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

this is less calorie-efficient than taking just the corn and making it into nutrient paste for the dogs.

nutrient paste is very efficient and kibble is not particularly efficient at all.

Kibbles main use is using hay, using any other crop is a waste.

Are there any mods that let you make nutrient paste nowadays anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jokes posted:

I have about 800 hours into Rimworld and have yet to use nutrient paste in any form.

It saves labour, is very nutrition-efficient, and as someone ITT likes to point out, doesn't make you sick, ever.

It has a lot of pros and it can make a very good backup food source but you do want to try to provide good meals if you can because it's a valuable source of mood boosts, especially compared to the debuff from nutrient paste.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I decided to play around with Pawnmorpher, Genetic Rim, and Questionable Ethics. The combination is, uh, interesting on the war crimes front.

So with Genetic Rim, you are incentivized to kill rare animals/mechs/etc. to get genetic samples to recombine into ludicrous creatures. The most powerful critters are mechs (which generally are in abundance after a certain point) and Thrumbos (which are really never in abundance at all). So what if we could get a large number of Thrumbos to slaughter?

Well, it turns out that Pawnmorpher has 2-3 easy ways to turn a pawn into an animal, including a Thrumbo. Questionable Ethics allows for the cloning of pawns (or Thrumbos directly) for experimentation. Prisoners are fantastic because you can use them as raw stock for horrifying genetic experiments, and then unleash them on the enemy.

It gets even more horrifying when you realize that Pawnmorpher has the ability to tag any creature, including the critters from Genetic Rim, Alpha Animals, etc., and then morph a pawn into that creature. So now you can skip the Thrumbo harvesting step and just turn your prisoners directly into killing machines that then get trained up and flung at the enemy en masse. It's incredibly silly, and I haven't even touched the side of it where you create new implants and mess with mutations to make your own pawns stronger.

Edit: You can also find former humans that you can cure, and then 5 days later after the curing mechanites have been flushed from their system, you can change them into something more interesting again. Sadly, I haven't yet figured out how to throw already morphed former humans into the mutagen chambers to convert them directly; you have to start with a human first.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 13, 2020

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've been really enjoying using Pawnmorpher to turn my colony into a hosed up Dr. Moreau situation. Any human I get gets mutated into whatever seems like it would be interesting. We had a meteor strike that dropped a chunk of Mutanite on my map and I sent one guy out to mine it, and he came back with wings, hooves, wool, a pig snout, a cobra hood, and a bunch of other poo poo. He's around 12% human at this point. If a pawn gets a bad mutation, I just lop that part off and replace it with chrome. Mostly though you end up with dudes with movement and sensory bonuses.

It's a really neat mod with a ton of detail. There are specific moodlets for things like having to shear yourself or draining your neutroglycerin cyst. Eventually pawns will get used to stuff like that, and some pawns find that they prefer to be an animal and get annoyed if you turn them back once they change. There are also a bunch of ways to weaponize mutation, which is effective because the actual process of mutating is painful and applies a ton of movement and consciousness penalties in addition to whatever penalties you get for having chicken legs all of a sudden.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I've been really enjoying using Pawnmorpher to turn my colony into a hosed up Dr. Moreau situation. Any human I get gets mutated into whatever seems like it would be interesting. We had a meteor strike that dropped a chunk of Mutanite on my map and I sent one guy out to mine it, and he came back with wings, hooves, wool, a pig snout, a cobra hood, and a bunch of other poo poo. He's around 12% human at this point. If a pawn gets a bad mutation, I just lop that part off and replace it with chrome. Mostly though you end up with dudes with movement and sensory bonuses.

It's a really neat mod with a ton of detail. There are specific moodlets for things like having to shear yourself or draining your neutroglycerin cyst. Eventually pawns will get used to stuff like that, and some pawns find that they prefer to be an animal and get annoyed if you turn them back once they change. There are also a bunch of ways to weaponize mutation, which is effective because the actual process of mutating is painful and applies a ton of movement and consciousness penalties in addition to whatever penalties you get for having chicken legs all of a sudden.

I've got SRTS Expanded as well, and that lets you do bombing runs using mortar shells. That includes using mutagenic shells. Unfortunately I've only fought mechanoids and androids since the bombers have been in place, so I'm hoping that a tribal raid happens at some point. I'd like to see the effect of dropping mutagen on several dozen enemies at once to see the chaos unfold.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

do the mutations show on the pawns? i'd like a mod that lets me turn my guys into freaks but also makes them turn green or something instead of just looking normal. its always been a mild bummer to me that you can't see cybernetics on your guys at all

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I'm doing a stupid gimmick run with a colony called Big Cat Exploitation Station with certain residents such as Joe Exotic and Carol Baskins.

I made Joe greedy, volatile, and gay. So far Joe keeps running to hide in his crappy room to slit his wrists while his pet panthers watch. Also is sucks lynxes can't haul but at least panthers can.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

do the mutations show on the pawns? i'd like a mod that lets me turn my guys into freaks but also makes them turn green or something instead of just looking normal. its always been a mild bummer to me that you can't see cybernetics on your guys at all

They do get some visual differences like snouts beaks, ears and tails.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Will they eat from the machine themselves or do I have to do the mind numbing grab food/draft/repeat poo poo?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arrath posted:

Will they eat from the machine themselves or do I have to do the mind numbing grab food/draft/repeat poo poo?

Yes as long as the output is in their allowed zone. (You can always just put a hauling zone for dog food in the dog allowed zone, you don't have to do tedious poo poo like that for any sort of food.)

Note that this won't work for wargs, who only eat corpses or raw meat. But they won't eat kibble anyway.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Cease to Hope posted:

Yes as long as the output is in their allowed zone. (You can always just put a hauling zone for dog food in the dog allowed zone, you don't have to do tedious poo poo like that for any sort of food.)

Note that this won't work for wargs, who only eat corpses or raw meat. But they won't eat kibble anyway.

This sounds like a modded thing because everything I've read agrees that animals won't use the NPD on their own.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

isndl posted:

This sounds like a modded thing because everything I've read agrees that animals won't use the NPD on their own.

They won't activate it on their own. They will take meals that have already been made.

I may have misunderstood your question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

They won't activate it on their own. They will take meals that have already been made.

I may have misunderstood your question.

Yeah my question was can the animal go make paste from the dispenser itself or do i have to keep a stack of paste meals around for them to eat.