Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I just woke up, haven't even had my coffee yet, and I'm already dealing with this bullshit.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1249470237726081030?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The best (worst?) part is Kyle Larson is half Japanese and from California, he's not the stereotypical good ole' boy.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Woofer posted:

When I worked at Publix they made sure to tell us how important it is for liability reasons that we throw food out at the end of every day. We would clear out the bread aisle with enough to feed a family for a year. poo poo was depressing.

I've read of places that will even do poo poo like spray bleach on the food they're throwing away like that because people who have no other option would dumpster dive to, ya know, not starve. Like AreWeDrunkYet said the idea of others getting that food so offends the system of capitalism that it's preferable to destroy the food AND have them starve than fix the problem without profiting off if it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

I've read of places that will even do poo poo like spray bleach on the food they're throwing away like that because people who have no other option would dumpster dive to, ya know, not starve. Like AreWeDrunkYet said the idea of others getting that food so offends the system of capitalism that it's preferable to destroy the food AND have them starve than fix the problem without profiting off if it.

John Steinbeck posted:

The works of the roots of the vines, of the trees, must be destroyed to keep up the price, and this is the saddest, bitterest thing of all. Carloads of oranges dumped on the ground. The people came for miles to take the fruit, but this could not be. How would they buy oranges at twenty cents a dozen if they could drive out and pick them up? And men with hoses squirt kerosene on the oranges, and they are angry at the crime, angry at the people who have come to take the fruit. A million people hungry, needing the fruit–and kerosene sprayed over the golden mountains.

And the smell of rot fills the country.

Burn coffee for fuel in the ships. Burn corn to keep warm, it makes a hot fire. Dump potatoes in the rivers and place guards along the banks to keep the hungry people from fishing them out. Slaughter the pigs and bury them, and let the putrescence drip down into the earth.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1249685759193485313

:smith:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Basticle posted:

The best (worst?) part is Kyle Larson is half Japanese and from California, he's not the stereotypical good ole' boy.

Being in nascar and saying the n word is stereotypical good ol' boy.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Dropping derogatory terms is like half the requirements for entry into lower nascar leagues. They have enough problems keeping women drivers around, let alone anyone of color.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Trumpo is retweeting stuff that full-throatedly blames China, tweets that contain #FireFauci.

It's going to be a wild week.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Because you'll probably see this data shared this is a good discussion on why its misleading.

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1249480343968575488

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I like how the US stops before the others when it is going to climb near vertical. We have failed educating people in the US so bad they don't understand viruses so interpreting a graph is probably a bridge too far

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
This whole timeline is making me want to take up smoking again.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Old Boot posted:

This whole timeline is making me want to take up smoking again.

This whole timeline is making me wish I had a weed hook-up for the weekend, especially since I'm now basically driving only once per week when I don't have any validation testing scheduled.

Driving comically-overpowered vehicles in the last two months has also developed in me this even more strenuous respect for not even having a beer the night before I have testing scheduled. Like, legit pilot protocols.
Having a 2.6 ton vehicle with 530 hp break out on you because of a surprise-DSC-failure will do that.

I wasn't a fan of massive cars to begin with, now I have even more of a healthy respect for them.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That picture is really good

Offloading MREs for the evacuated crew.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pryor on Fire posted:

That picture is really good

Offloading MREs for the evacuated crew.

COVERALLS ON THE PIER!? :chiefsay:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Duzzy Funlop posted:

This whole timeline is making me wish I had a weed hook-up for the weekend, especially since I'm now basically driving only once per week when I don't have any validation testing scheduled.

Driving comically-overpowered vehicles in the last two months has also developed in me this even more strenuous respect for not even having a beer the night before I have testing scheduled. Like, legit pilot protocols.
Having a 2.6 ton vehicle with 530 hp break out on you because of a surprise-DSC-failure will do that.

I wasn't a fan of massive cars to begin with, now I have even more of a healthy respect for them.

I'll stick with my Prius, I think.

In the meantime, that thing they said rats would do.

Well, they're doing it. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/starving-angry-cannibalistic-america-s-rats-are-getting-desperate-amid-n1180611

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Old Boot posted:

I'll stick with my Prius, I think.

Yeah, I'm happy with my French hatchback. It's got some issues, but it's served me well like my very first hatchback in 2002.

I don't think I'll ever really move away from small-to-medium sized vehicles that offer you everything you need for a bachelor- or non-childhaving-relationship life and can be converted to solid stowing capacity with the flip of two seats.

For my next car in 3-5 years, I think I might consider going up a notch for something like a wagon. Maybe a 3 series or Volvo. I'm not a fan of the size, but the step-up in utility is considerable.

The amount of different cars I'm driving at work has had me put some thoughts into it. Partially because lol @ those rich people cars, and partially because of the different classes I get to test.

Hell, I drove a 2 series GranTourer just this Thursday and it essentially felt like a more expensive Honda Jazz.

I liked the capacity and versatility of it while getting a comically good gas mileage, it just felt...odd.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1249728782665166851

I really do hope this is the case but I'm not going to breathe a sigh of relief just yet.

Also, for you scientician goons- how has that Imperial College study held up so far?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Edit: didn't realize the Cuomo tweet was part of a thread; I'm referring especially to his optimistic take that the curve is flattening in NY.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't think I'll ever really move away from small-to-medium sized vehicles that offer you everything you need for a bachelor- or non-childhaving-relationship life and can be converted to solid stowing capacity with the flip of two seats.

There are exceptions (and they'll be sure to chime in about how they need to move 10 yards of gravel every other weekend), but for most people occasionally renting a vehicle with more storage is a lot more economical than owning one. Looking at you, 98% of pickup truck drivers.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Tell me if this sounds familiar. Right wing elements of the supposed opposition party not only would rather lose than surrender power, but actively worked to sabotage their party's election chances.

Anti-Corbyn Labour officials worked to lose general election to oust leader, leaked dossier finds

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

I like how the US stops before the others when it is going to climb near vertical. We have failed educating people in the US so bad they don't understand viruses so interpreting a graph is probably a bridge too far

In graduate school I took a class on data visualization. The teacher was a neuroscientist and she made us read a bunch of studies on how people interpret graphs.

People really like fancy graphs, but if you ask them what it means, they fail at basic understanding. The long and short is unless it’s a line graph or bar graph (and not a stacked par graph) the majority of people can’t understand it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Double post.

Since Trumps going after Fauci, how long before he fires him. I think by Thursday.

Oxygenpoisoning fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 13, 2020

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It probably wouldn’t considering how this storm system has to get through the Blue Ridge mountains, which will probably bleed off some of its strength. Places in northern Montgomery County could see some tornadic action, though.

Also downtown DC is largely devoid of activity thanks to COVID so all the lobbyists and other members of the parasite class are safe at home in Loudon County or Bethesda. What you’re looking for is a Derecho-type event that hits the Beltway at rush hour.

Tornado Watch for NOVA/DC through 6PM today

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsi...09#.XpSSschKguU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

In graduate school I took a class on data visualization. The teacher was a neuroscientist and she made us read a bunch of studies on how people interpret graphs.

People really like fancy graphs, but if you ask them what it means, they fail at basic understanding. The long and short is unless it’s a line graph or bar graph (and not a stacked par graph) the majority of people can’t understand it.

I'm doing this right now and it's definitely completely changed the way I've used graphs and charts.

Before it was all about being clever to deliver as much information as possible.

Now it's pretty much "deliver one point, and that point has to be covered in neon signs and bells that jingle if it moves; if for some reason you want someone to take away a second piece of information from your graph it better be obvious from space"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Also: if someone is using logarithms they are attempting to lie to you.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Just having a completely normal one once again

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I seriously dont understand how there haven't been public assassination attempts

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

not caring here posted:

Also: if someone is using logarithms they are attempting to lie to you.

Semi-log plots are good and useful. On the other hand, I recall a prof saying "everything plots as a straight line on a log-log graph."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Semi-log plots are good and useful. On the other hand, I recall a prof saying "everything plots as a straight line on a log-log graph."

Minor exception: frequency response functions

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

My Spirit Otter posted:

I seriously dont understand how there haven't been public assassination attempts

Give it time, fascists are always trying to outdo each other by claiming to be more extreme then everyone else.

I'm sure some chud will tell a undercover FBI agent all about how he wants to take a shot at Trump because he's gone soft and 'sold us out to Crooked Hillary and the deep state!'.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's snowing here.

That's all I got.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

My Spirit Otter posted:

I seriously dont understand how there haven't been [snip]

We should probably avoid the A word in this context if we don't want Lowtax to be getting more FBI visits.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

My Spirit Otter posted:

Because as horrible as he is, the last thing the right needs is to be able to hold up Donald J. Trump as a goddamn martyr.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

We should probably avoid the A word in this context if we don't want Lowtax to be getting more FBI visits.

I'm not calling for one, nor attempting to incite one. We're good.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

As mighty as Leonard J. Crabs, Esq might be, he is not as powerful as the FBI. Or the USSS for that matter.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I don’t understand how people are attributing “empty hospitals” as a sign COVID is not a threat versus seeing decreasing rates of infection/deaths as a sign that preventative measures are working. Baffling.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

My Spirit Otter posted:

Reagan was only 1/4th of this crazy and he got shot at twice.

edit : I think it really just shows how good the secret service is with modern tech

ded fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 13, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

There was a post earlier linking to a twitter post about an epidemiologist complaining about people using the wrong graphs and it being misleading. But I rea it and thought, that as a qualified epidemiologist, you are probably the least qualified person to determine what type of graphs are useful to a layman. Unless you're one of the subset to have so often removed yourself from the problem through writing for pop sci and have researched the literature on communications/psychology.

To an expert, graph isnt just a supporting evidence, but potentially a descriptive tool that provides all sorts of information. Just like you dont trust your unqualified uncle with a welding torch, they may not see the valuable nuance a scientist may see.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

ded posted:

Reagan was only 1/4th of this crazy and he got shot at twice.

edit : I think it really just shows how good the secret service is with modern tech

seriously, sweeping powers to spy on people is a big win for LE

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

bloops posted:

I don’t understand how people are attributing “empty hospitals” as a sign COVID is not a threat versus seeing decreasing rates of infection/deaths as a sign that preventative measures are working. Baffling.

Listen here jack, real Americans wanna go to the Applebees and not listen to some egghead tell them everything is canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bloops posted:

There's a class of diseased brains that always interprets an effective response to a problem to mean that the problem never existed.