Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

massive spider posted:

Idiot bastard cat came back. He’s 6 months old and had previously never shown any interest in going 5 metres from the house but last week got spooked and went on a week long grand tour where people responding to my flyers were claiming he was half a mile away.

Sounds like a cat, functioning as intended. loving dickhead reminds me of Todd; he always used to want to get out and regularly did, often trying to make a break for it.

WHo's gonna give you brain scritches on your little skull ridge if you run away, fuckhead :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Some cat litter dust got in my eyes. It's used cat litter. Can that cause an infection?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

massive spider posted:

Idiot bastard cat came back. He’s 6 months old and had previously never shown any interest in going 5 metres from the house but last week got spooked and went on a week long grand tour where people responding to my flyers were claiming he was half a mile away.

Just as an FYI if you weren't already applying a topical flea/heartworm medication like Revolution to your cat, I'd suggest bringing them to the vet to get checked for both ASAP and then start applying said topical. In particular I'd bet good money that after spending a week outside your dumbass cat picked up fleas.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Pollyanna posted:

Some cat litter dust got in my eyes. It's used cat litter. Can that cause an infection?

maybe but your eyes are pretty good at preventing stuff from happening

you could rinse your eyes if you have saline or boil some water to sterilize it

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

massive spider posted:

keep your cat inside

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sydin posted:

Just as an FYI if you weren't already applying a topical flea/heartworm medication like Revolution to your cat, I'd suggest bringing them to the vet to get checked for both ASAP and then start applying said topical. In particular I'd bet good money that after spending a week outside your dumbass cat picked up fleas.

Yeah he spent his first night back in the bathroom being detoxed with flea spray.

Deviant posted:

keep your cat inside

Oh is that what I was supposed to do? I've been putting up posters all week saying "please help find my cat he is an indoor cat he is not supposed to be outside" but sadly it turns out cats don't understand english!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

D34THROW posted:

Sounds like a cat, functioning as intended. loving dickhead reminds me of Todd; he always used to want to get out and regularly did, often trying to make a break for it.

WHo's gonna give you brain scritches on your little skull ridge if you run away, fuckhead :argh:
My littlest boy cat, who is incredibly skittish and runs away in terror every time the mailman stomps up the stoop to make a delivery, is also insatiably curious about the outside. Of course the moment he goes outside he realizes this is a horrible mistake and cowers in a tiny, nasty space below the stoop until I can reach in and grab him. But every time the front door cracks the tiniest bit open, he's ready to dash out and make the same loving mistake again.

Cats!

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Tamarillo posted:

When I still had my 16lb megacat, we had to go horizontal for his scratching needs - this kind of thing: https://www.amazon.com/Kitty-City-Corrugate-Scratchers-Cardboard/dp/B01MZG54L6?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
We also got him a wide-load one of these https://www.squarecathabitat.com/products/modern-cat-scratcher/ but he mostly lay on it instead of scratching.

Oh these look great! Thank you so much!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My 16 pound wondercat is back from the vet with prescription food for his gastrointestinal health and antacid pills i'm going to have to jam down his throat. I got one of those long pill dropper dealies but still I'm going to have to swaddle and pin him to do it. At least he doesn't have anything acute.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

massive spider posted:

Yeah he spent his first night back in the bathroom being detoxed with flea spray.

Oh is that what I was supposed to do? I've been putting up posters all week saying "please help find my cat he is an indoor cat he is not supposed to be outside" but sadly it turns out cats don't understand english!

you made him sound like an outdoor cat

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

massive spider posted:

I am VERY happy you got your kitty back! Nobody should be deprived of their pets at a time like this...

Cats are like this, though - and you shouldn't be too surprised or shocked that he bolted, because cats just... DO THAT, sometimes, inexplicably and with no precedent. And cats can and do get lost, at times. As embarrassing as it might be, calling out for your cat in YOUR voice in the area where your cat vanished can and does help - or for me it does, at any right.

But cats naturally want to explore and investigate - even indoor cats.

And yeah I would seriously consider getting a leash/harness if you want to let your cat out in the future. I'd keep him inside though. Bear in mind this is a REALLY important time. Indoor/outdoor cats can be really annoying just because they spend SO MUCH TIME standing at the door, scratching and meowing. I speak from experience. I'd honestly recommend that you commit to one or the other.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

taqueso posted:

maybe but your eyes are pretty good at preventing stuff from happening

you could rinse your eyes if you have saline or boil some water to sterilize it

I appreciate the implication that OP is just walking around for half a day with cat piss dust in their eye like "What do I do? Is it safe to rinse this out or should I leave it in and call a doctor?"

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

mistaya posted:

My cat pees red when he's stressed. It's happened three times (in ten years so like, not that often) and I've gotten him x-rays all three times and no crystals, just cat with a stressed out bladder. :catstare:

Well, the doc called back and said the urine culture suggested an infection, so I've got her on twice-a-day Amoxi-Clavulanate for the next 4 days, once a little after breakfast and once a little before dinner. At least so far, newer bathtub/sink pees aren't happening, and I haven't seen turds on the floor since yesterday.

Also I need to chuck the heated cat pod that was recommended by thread go-ers. She only used it recently, as a new place to pee in.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I found a lump on my cat. She got spayed last week, and she just now started to be comfortable with belly rubs and pets. I felt a hard spot near the stitches about the size of a small cashew or almond, no bigger than the last knuckle of a pinkie. She has full kitten energy and appetite.

Google searches say this can either be a hernia (worst case scenario), or small amount of internal bleeding. Im calling the vet tomorrow just to consult but if its the worst case scenario (hernia) how bad is this?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Gaj posted:

I found a lump on my cat. She got spayed last week, and she just now started to be comfortable with belly rubs and pets. I felt a hard spot near the stitches about the size of a small cashew or almond, no bigger than the last knuckle of a pinkie. She has full kitten energy and appetite.

Google searches say this can either be a hernia (worst case scenario), or small amount of internal bleeding. Im calling the vet tomorrow just to consult but if its the worst case scenario (hernia) how bad is this?

One of my cats got spayed back when I was on low income and went to low income place to get her fixed and she has a small lump on her belly afterward too. I heard that the way she was spayed (probably one vet doing a bunch at a time considering the circumstances) may have caused it but it went away after some time. It never hurts to be safe, though!

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Bringing these 2 home on Monday. They are 3 mos. brother and sister. We have everything set up in the bedroom for their arrival and acclimation, but we hope to keep the litter box in a different part of the house. Can we move it to its permanent spot as soon as they start venturing out of the bedroom? Also does anyone keep their litter box in a bathtub, not sure if they will be able to jump in and out of there.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Womyn Capote posted:

Also does anyone keep their litter box in a bathtub, not sure if they will be able to jump in and out of there.

First time cat owner, huh?

Less flippantly, yeah they'll probably be fine, just make sure to show them where the litterbox is. And post more pics!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Organza Quiz posted:

First time cat owner, huh?

My cat would somersault 7 feet into the air and land on a jacket on the top of a coat rack to sleep on it. A bathtub seems pretty trivial haha.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyone have any recommendations on water fountains?

I currently have this

But my little fuckhead keeps tipping it over, spilling a container of water everywhere every 5min, so it's currently unused.

I'm happy paying for a larger solution and saw there were stainless steel ones available, but would like to hear if anyone had any experience (With shithead cats tipping over the fountain)
Something heavy, and hard to tip over, would be greeeeatttt

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Alternative solution is to just hotglue the drat thing to weight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The larger one holds nearly a gallon of water and our dish tipping rear end in a top hat hasn't pulled it off yet and we've had it for a couple years at this point

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Hi, cat thread. Anyone have any tips on stopping a cat messing with themselves after surgery? Our guy has a paw problem, which is either the result of him overgrooming and biting his toe beans for years before we got him, or something nastier. He went in for a biopsy on tuesday and since then we've been going crazy trying to stop him grooming his paw too harshly. He pulled bandages off within two seconds of waking up, it's impossible to put them back on, and he gets out of his collar as soon as he feels like it.

Our options are: 1) stay awake in shifts monitoring him constantly to stop him biting, 2) try to condition him somehow to stop. 1 has made us go slightly mad, 2 we feel we can do by spritzing a bit of water near him if he goes for his paw but I'm worried that's just being poo poo?

He is healing from the damage and the biopsy, slowly, but we let him be a bit less supervised earlier today and he already bit himself bloody. Not sure that leaving him to heal at his own pace will work? Anyway any advice welcome.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have just moved in with my partner in crime and I have become acquired by his two approximately 13 year old rescue cats, Puck and Zohar! [i will edit in my photos] i love them and their little throat motors!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
One more day left of the medication, so far so good. Buddy's had 2 shits on the floor, so I bought some plastic coarse-ish litter mats to make it less "comfortable" to poop in those places, but she has attempted to poop on the small un-matted part of the bathroom floor. She sometimes still jumps in the bathtub to pee out of newfound habit, and I've caught her pawing at the sides in prep for peeing, so I've stuck some cardboard clutter in there to make it also less accessible.

Strangely she knows to properly use the balcony litterbox without any training or aid.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

occluded posted:

Hi, cat thread. Anyone have any tips on stopping a cat messing with themselves after surgery? Our guy has a paw problem, which is either the result of him overgrooming and biting his toe beans for years before we got him, or something nastier. He went in for a biopsy on tuesday and since then we've been going crazy trying to stop him grooming his paw too harshly. He pulled bandages off within two seconds of waking up, it's impossible to put them back on, and he gets out of his collar as soon as he feels like it.

Our options are: 1) stay awake in shifts monitoring him constantly to stop him biting, 2) try to condition him somehow to stop. 1 has made us go slightly mad, 2 we feel we can do by spritzing a bit of water near him if he goes for his paw but I'm worried that's just being poo poo?

He is healing from the damage and the biopsy, slowly, but we let him be a bit less supervised earlier today and he already bit himself bloody. Not sure that leaving him to heal at his own pace will work? Anyway any advice welcome.

E-collar is probably the only way to keep a cat from going after its paw. We’ve had really good success with the inflatable kind- it’s not so cumbersome that the cat is off balance/can’t get into a covered litterbox, but restricts movement enough to stop them from loving with wounds.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

When my cat got spayed they put bad-tasting stuff on her stitches instead of a cone of shame and that seemed to work just fine to stop her messing with them. You might be able to find something similar?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I saw a dead kitten on the road this morning. :( It had been hit by a car. Don't let your cats outside, goons.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Womyn Capote posted:

Bringing these 2 home on Monday. They are 3 mos. brother and sister. We have everything set up in the bedroom for their arrival and acclimation, but we hope to keep the litter box in a different part of the house. Can we move it to its permanent spot as soon as they start venturing out of the bedroom? Also does anyone keep their litter box in a bathtub, not sure if they will be able to jump in and out of there.

We had a cat who preferred to use the bath tub drain as a urinal. He'd just squat right over it he'd poop in the box in another part of the house.
I think your guys would be fine.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
The inflatable e collar is probably your best bet, but the bad tasting goop could work too.

Check out @tummyandgummy on IG, one of the kitties has EDS so he often wears inflatable collars and shirts to keep his skin intact/from him agitating his wounds

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

:sigh: I finally got my cat to start using the litterbox again by taking the cover off and putting it on top of the spot where he used to pee...but now I have an open litterbox in the middle of my loving living room. Cats.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Len posted:

The larger one holds nearly a gallon of water and our dish tipping rear end in a top hat hasn't pulled it off yet and we've had it for a couple years at this point

This is the one we have and it works a charm. I believe it's a 3L capacity and third party filters are available and much cheaper. I clean the fucker once a month and we're good.

Hawkperson posted:

:sigh: I finally got my cat to start using the litterbox again by taking the cover off and putting it on top of the spot where he used to pee...but now I have an open litterbox in the middle of my loving living room. Cats.

Let me tell you about our one cat who protests poop in the boxes by pooping on our bed and the one who protests poop in the boxes by pooping under our bed. And pissing. Or on the floor NEXT to the litterbox. Or in the foyer.

Little fuckers.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Oh my god these kittens are so good. They left the carrier right away to start exploring the room, playing, chasing eachother. One use the litterbox immediately. Then they jumped on the bed with us and fell asleep in our arms. So happy right now. Ill blow up the thread with pics later.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

When I eventually have my cat put down. The vet always tries to sell you on separate cremation, urn etc. Every single time I go for the stupid separate cremation so I can toss the ashes in the garden. Even though I know I'm being scammed and the cat could not give a poo poo if her remains went into the medical waste yet I keep buying it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It's not stupid if it makes you feel better. These dumb little fuzzy things mean a lot to us.

Eventually having to say goodbye was a lot to think about before I got a pet and I've already kinda planned ahead for what I want to do what that happens because i'll definitely be a total mess.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Can anyone recommend any particular brand of waterless cat shampoo or cleaning wipes. Or if one particular type is better then other/alternative to them on the cheapish side. The one cat is 16-17ish years old and not cleaning himself too well on his back sides enough anymore and getting frequent matts. I don't want to give him a heart attack and bathe him for fear of a heart attack - that or him tearing me to shreds. Hell I wouldn't want to do it again if he was healthy either - had to do it a couple times because he diarrhea poops whenever he is put into a carrier for a bit to go to the vet and only while on the ride to the vet and not before.

Fortunately there's plenty of time now to keep him brushed but would also like to keep those areas clean.

Edit: Preferably available on amazon.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 15, 2020

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
First time cat owner. So does anyone else's kitty cry for them to go to sleep, mine has started to get cranky when we dont share afternoon naps.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sounds like a cat working as intended

I get the claws if I'm not laying in bed when rear end in a top hat feels it's bed time

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
My family's cat Patches trained my dad to go lay down on the couch at 11 p.m. so she could use him as a heating pad.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Gaj posted:

First time cat owner. So does anyone else's kitty cry for them to go to sleep, mine has started to get cranky when we dont share afternoon naps.

Yeah, our cat bugs my girlfriend to go to bed. I apparently am allowed to stay up late, but the cat has decided her sleep cycles are of vital importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My cat doesn't bug me to go to bed, but she does like to sleep on my bed and on one blanket in particular, and will meow at me to a) spread that blanket out so she can get on it, and b) for me throw the blanket over her so she can wrap herself up under it while she naps :3: