Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Half Life VR But The AI is Self Aware is making me lose my lovely mind. The ability these voice actors have to sound eerily like HL1 scientists is disturbing.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLglTodSj6fQGbLTtPF_YXVJ6TKSaC3O02

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

How did it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

FFVIIR is def worth the buy. Just got done sky diving from a japanese neoliberal hellhole into the slums the look strangely 1950s but rundown. They teased with the idea of being able to dress up Cloud and Tifa in matching outfits. The more I think about it, the more it kinda upsets me? Anyway, whacking the bejeezus out of terrified rent a cops with a giant sword is real funny looking. Cloud is kind of an rear end in a top hat. But its ok because he's been dropped on his head or something idk.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

FFVII Remake is such a love letter to the setting and goofiness of original FFVII, I love it. Here's the abridged first encounter with flower girl and soldier boy

flower girl: this flower is for you
soldier boy: you shouldn't stay close to me i'm dangerous
flower girl: so what
guards: we've found the criminal!
flower girl: you know soldier boy you might be right byeeeeeeee

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

told your rear end not to spoil the game.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i watched girl on the third floor, starring Christopher Meloni Punk. it wasn’t very good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NienNunb posted:

Half Life VR But The AI is Self Aware is making me lose my lovely mind. The ability these voice actors have to sound eerily like HL1 scientists is disturbing.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLglTodSj6fQGbLTtPF_YXVJ6TKSaC3O02

What's the background on this? It's loving hilarious.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

i watched girl on the third floor, starring Christopher Meloni Punk. it wasn’t very good.

There was an interesting short story in there. It would have been better as a shorter movie just about renovating a house and finding hosed up poo poo.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I am glad to say that Isekai Izakaya is extremely my poo poo

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
You guys can skip Vivarium but it is basically about being stuck in a house with nowhere to go so it’s timely, if you want that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

You guys can skip Vivarium but it is basically about being stuck in a house with nowhere to go so it’s timely, if you want that.

Oh God I saw Vivarium at a festival showing with NO idea what it would be about and gently caress me it was great but really, really, REALLY loving unsettling. Absolutely recommend seeing it if you can.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Have you ever had a friend who is fighting with depression or some other kind of mental illness/concern, but they're doing it in a public "woe is me" kind of way?

I'm hitting the end of my rope with this friend, however, I'm afraid the moment I throw up my hands and walk away because I can't take it anymore is the moment they're going to need me the most and I won't be there for them.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Have you ever had a friend who is fighting with depression or some other kind of mental illness/concern, but they're doing it in a public "woe is me" kind of way?

I'm hitting the end of my rope with this friend, however, I'm afraid the moment I throw up my hands and walk away because I can't take it anymore is the moment they're going to need me the most and I won't be there for them.

Yeah. I spent 5+ years with one of my best friends constantly doing this. Request after request for them to get actual help was denied with a whole litany of reasons which boiled down to "I'm scared of getting help because then my belief that help is impossible will be challenged". Since I would approach them in private to offer them an ear they began using me as a therapist. Eventually I told them that I didn't have the mental health necessary to be their therapist, they continued to try to use me as one anyway, and I cut ties with them because I was going through my own poo poo. We still have mutual friends and so I know she's still alive. Due to her being extremely bitter at me people don't talk about us to each other.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
if you're their only friend, then you just have to deal with it and be their friend. when i was going through a bad time in college, my friend would come to my apartment and get high and play Rock Band with me and listen to me sing Radiohead's Creep for the video game. and keep telling them to get real therapy until they get therapy. keep reminding them you aren't trained to deal with these problems.

if they have another friend, just start acting more depressed and mentally ill than them.

having a depressed friend is like adopting a parrot. you have to take care of it until you die or become a parrot yourself.

Shayna Baszler fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 13, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CobiWann posted:

yeah. it happened recently after the guy had turned to alcohol so much he got hospitalized with pancreatitis and then would just whinge about how its unfair he got it, and how his fortunes are all bad because nobody wants to hire him (he got job offers but they weren't 'good enough'). It got to the point he was pretty much ostracized and nobody from our group save for those two closest with him wanted to talk with him. One of them got him a flight back to the UK (we're all in Asia), and he was there for like two months before coming back and I've more or less stopped caring or interacting with him. He went a year unemployed after being "fired" from the bar he co-owned because he would get shitfaced, and get into fights with ppl including the local beer distributor (who was also his at the time's gf's dad but his dad didn't know she was dating a non-korean). Anyway he then broke up with her a few months after that fight with her dad, and then just refused to change or try and fix things and blamed everyone else for his issues. Like I said, i can't be asked to help him after the countless other times I tried to help on top of everyone else working to help him. At some point he has to take ownership of his actions because in this case it was all on him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I tried having time for the bullshit but it’s not for me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

CobiWann posted:

At the lowest point of my life, about two years ago, I arguably was this friend. I've been struggling with depression and various other issues all of my life, but I've tried to deal with it with therapy and medication and never acted in the "woe is me" way you describe it.

However, that one night at the bar with my friends, I hosed up. I said things I should not have said, even though at the time I was expressing my genuine thoughts without any sort of performative "woe is me" aspect to it. I am no longer in contact with these people, because even if they've forgiven my idiocy I'd still be too ashamed to talk to them again. They're probably aware I'm still alive, or maybe they're not. I doubt they care after that.

On the plus side, that whole debacle got me to quit drinking because I was no longer going out with these folks once or twice a week and getting hammered.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

bloom into you is good

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

What's the background on this? It's loving hilarious.

I don't think there is a ton of context to be found. Someone made a VR, multiplayer version of HL1 and these guys decided to put on a weird improv'd play in it about PlayCoins™️ and Wikipedia (the free encyclopedia ANYONE can edit).

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Shard posted:

There was an interesting short story in there. It would have been better as a shorter movie just about renovating a house and finding hosed up poo poo.

the more i think about it the less i like it. nothing made much sense and it was all pretty boring.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Christopher Bologna

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Punk is trying so hard to be Chicago's Henry Rollins.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was that depressed friend for most of my life, and that was with therapy from eight-years-old on.

I don't begrudge the friends who put in the work to by my friend and got tired of it. Particularly because after years fits and starts, I finally found meds that work and, oh, also, I was a woman the whole time and didn't know it, so of course I was miserable, and it's really not anybody's job, even friends and romantic partners, to sit through all of that.

But having gone through the whole thing — and I'm not invalidating anybody's lived experience here — I find it difficult to empathize with people who aren't trying anything at all to fix it, but I still try to stick by them provided they don't start violating boundaries in an attempt to make themselves feel better.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

every buddah get up it's time to slam now

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Post your favorite space jam theme song mashup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KlxsBPhiKM

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I just told my wife that Mike Patton, lead singer for Faith No More, also sings Italian opera AND did the voices of the infected in the Left 4 Dead games.

She didn't believe me.

She's now in our bedroom listening to Angel Dust for the first time.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Sherndon226/status/1249856339607773187?s=19

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CobiWann posted:

I just told my wife that Mike Patton, lead singer for Faith No More, also sings Italian opera AND did the voices of the infected in the Left 4 Dead games.

She didn't believe me.

She's now in our bedroom listening to Angel Dust for the first time.
Holy poo poo! I didn't know any of that!

Mike Patton of the Faith No More Spiritual and Theological Center?!

Station.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

STATION! :rock:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

What a shithead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

What a shithead.

Life will be better once we get our statiophonicoxygeneticamplifiagraphiphonideliverberators.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love this forum so much right now. <3

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

im makin gumbo ama

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

im makin gumbo ama

why is my gumbo better than yours

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

WatermelonGun posted:

why is my gumbo better than yours

My guess is you watch the Waterboy when you make your roux

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my first solo kill of the nameless king is on NewGame3 on the first try. Going wild!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I made some salsa this afternoon. Should be quite delicious tomorrow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

my first solo kill of the nameless king is on NewGame3 on the first try. Going wild!

Goddamn!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the trick is to get past phase 1 by using 12 estus flasks, and then you can see what the gently caress is going on after that and rolling becomes the not die button again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Everyone send me manila envelopes filled with piping hot gumbo in the mail so I can properly judge for myself who's is best