Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Yeah. If someone paints up an entire army, I'm not going to knock how they did it. It's cool enough that they went to the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I think it's about time I ask for help painting power armor. How do you highlight that nonsense, and where? It's just big flat planes with little to no defining features, and worse still, I apparently have forgotten how to apply paint to models, or to get an appropriate consistency. I so far I've managed to get "too thick and streaky" and "too thin, and streaky". I tried making a glaze to shade like I'd seen in a youtube video but it even with vigorous mixing of water it dries streaky. I have matte medium, but that just seems to increase the viscosity of the paint somehow. I'm feeling lost and just want to paint my plague marines.

Airbrush & edge highlighting.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
I finally finished basing all of my Chainrasps for my 2k Age of Sigmar Legions of Nagash army.

120 ghosts is a lot of ghosts to paint, even with the quick airbrush and wash scheme I did.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

If you find yourself commonly using a mix like that, it's probably best to fill an empty dropper bottle with the colors you're using so you don't have to keep making batches. Figure out your ratio and fill the bottle appropriately (like 1/2 of bottle is this color, 1/2 that color, etc.)

Saves a lot more time and effort down the line.
I've been ordering from miniaturemarket for paints, would these do? Army painter empty bottles? Or do ya'll have any different preference?

SiKboy posted:

Also, once you work out your ratio, write that poo poo down somewhere in case you ever need to mix it again.
Solid tip, I think I'll throw that info into a google doc. Thanks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tangy yet delightful posted:

I've been ordering from miniaturemarket for paints, would these do? Army painter empty bottles? Or do ya'll have any different preference?

Those are great.

If you happen to have a bottle that's used up, just clean it out and use that, but the empties are certainly convenient.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Brinty posted:

I finally finished basing all of my Chainrasps for my 2k Age of Sigmar Legions of Nagash army.

120 ghosts is a lot of ghosts to paint, even with the quick airbrush and wash scheme I did.

Fuckin rules, yo

Also I’m almost finished this guy now after a marathon day today

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I think it's about time I ask for help painting power armor. How do you highlight that nonsense, and where? It's just big flat planes with little to no defining features, and worse still, I apparently have forgotten how to apply paint to models, or to get an appropriate consistency. I so far I've managed to get "too thick and streaky" and "too thin, and streaky". I tried making a glaze to shade like I'd seen in a youtube video but it even with vigorous mixing of water it dries streaky. I have matte medium, but that just seems to increase the viscosity of the paint somehow. I'm feeling lost and just want to paint my plague marines.

When it comes to streakyness on flat surfaces, one thing I know to do but always forget is to make sure you're painting multiple thin coats and once you apply the paint, not apply the next coat or touch it with a brush until it dries. For paints with less good coverage you will need a few coats to get it done but that should sort out any streakyness.

I lightened up the skull again on this test model, and changed the hair colour since it was blending too much with the coat and wanted a bit more of a necromunda vibe. Thanks for the help thread.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

This guy is rad!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Stormcast is pretty much the same thing right? I paint them in at middle tone, wash the all over while avoiding pooling on the surfaces, then drybrushing with the middle tone, and then a highlight tone. I've posted my white armor guys in the thread, they're painted like that.
I'd definitely use my airbrush if I had to paint an army.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

hooman posted:

When it comes to streakyness on flat surfaces, one thing I know to do but always forget is to make sure you're painting multiple thin coats and once you apply the paint, not apply the next coat or touch it with a brush until it dries. For paints with less good coverage you will need a few coats to get it done but that should sort out any streakyness.

I lightened up the skull again on this test model, and changed the hair colour since it was blending too much with the coat and wanted a bit more of a necromunda vibe. Thanks for the help thread.

The pink hair makes a world of difference, he's looking good!

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Prince Reggie K posted:

So back in 2007 a buddy talked me into buying 2 boxes of Battle for Skull pass, and he bought all the goblins off me and I kept the dwarfs. They sat for many years and then about a year or more ago I bought an army painter set and began painting minis for the first time. (other than spray painting space marines in highschool, dabbing on some red and metal and calling them done) Here's a few shots, including the first mini I've ever done a real base for. Not pictured here are a bunch of thunderers with handguns im working on. I'm batch painting the entire army so very few models are "finished"

]

Nice work here. I also started with battle for skull pass minis and your first efforts look better than mine did.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Also I’m almost finished this guy now after a marathon day

Nice, that is really cool.

Painted Aleya and Valerian's head for a friend. (he wanted to paint the rest to match his Custodes)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Got quite a bit done with my Necrons over the last couple days.

2nd Necron Overlord. I really want to redo the blade, it got a little sloppy there.

Lychguard Test model:

and the teal all done on my 24 warriors, 20 immortals, 6 scarab swarms & 3 wraiths.

Close up of the troops:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Fuckin rules, yo

Wow. I feel like you've improved so much in such a small amount of time. This dude looks great!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Quite pleased with this lab rat

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So I'm no painting guru but I banged out a plague marine for a kill team. I did the basecoat deathguard green, then drybrushed nurgling green. I did the armor in a warplock bronze, highlighted with sycorax bronze (my metallic is darked than GW standard)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

TotalHell posted:

Wow. I feel like you've improved so much in such a small amount of time. This dude looks great!

Thanks! I officially started painting Feb 7 this year (I went and looked)

I've spent almost all my waking hours, where I'm not at work or painting, watching painting stuff and have a couple friends who are very good to give me tips too

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks everyone. I'll take your advice wrt to power armor and see what I can do with it. I'm probably just tunnel visioning on it trying to make the best of my short time off.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Finished up some Hero units for my KoW Undead army.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Victoria Haley is ready to point her tiny pistol at people:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Took an whole army pic last year and finally got around to making a rad background for it. I've stripped the dreadnoughts and a few characters for refitting
so this a posterity shot.

Still haven't worked on the Storm Eagle or it's 15 bloter/chainsword Death Company.

Open in a new tab for the huge image.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 14, 2020

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
poo poo that looks great

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

Finished up some Hero units for my KoW Undead army.

Looking good.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm on "holiday" at the moment, from working at home, which means I've spent a lot of time painting. Would be making decent inroads into my backlog if I wasnt also spending a lot of time browsing ebay.

Anyway, heres a bunch of Malifaux gremlins I've painted recently, I'm reasonably happy with them. Used a tub of "structure paste" I got out of Tiger for the bayou mud, and some modpodge "dimensional magic" as a water effect on a few of the bases. All metal 1st ed models more due to thats what came up on ebay at a decent price than any particular preference. I am now definitely ready to paint a few models that dont have green skin and arent quite so drat tiny.

Ophelia LaCroix

Francois LaCroix

Rami LaCroix (he was actually painted a while back as a test piece for the dimensional magic)

Raphael LaCroix

Som'erteeth Jones

And his boy, Lenny

Bayou Gremlins

And finally 2 "Slop Haulers"

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

This stupid loving bumbletank looked terrible right until the second I put the final sepia glaze over it and then it looked amazing and I wanted to do an entire Marine armoured column.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Thanqol posted:

This stupid loving bumbletank looked terrible right until the second I put the final sepia glaze over it and then it looked amazing and I wanted to do an entire Marine armoured column.

This is really nice

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

One more model finished on my quest to have an Alpha Legion army made entirely out of loyalist model kits.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Did a little conversion work to turn a Chaos Sorcerer Lord into a Chaos Lady. Family photo:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

Did a little conversion work to turn a Chaos Sorcerer Lord into a Chaos Lady. Family photo:

That purple/blue transition is real neato.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up a couple of DI plague marines, gotta get through them at some point!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finished the first few figures from my bulk German project, and am happy with how these are turning out.

If I can get the rest to this standard without going blind, I'll be thrilled.

E: although I still need to do something about their weird white lips.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

R0ckfish - those light purple plaguies look great, and it's nice to see them and have them not be green.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The nerd store in my country (singular) is out of Black Templar contrast paint and not expecting shipments from GW until late summer. Stupid virus.

Ordering online and shipping to here is basically impossible now too, even if I could find a store still accepting and shipping orders.

Can I roll my own contrast by mixing contrast medium with regular paint, or will that be a waste of paint and medium?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this will show you how to make contrast paints
https://youtu.be/VU0rc0EOOys

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Geisladisk posted:

The nerd store in my country (singular) is out of Black Templar contrast paint and not expecting shipments from GW until late summer. Stupid virus.

Ordering online and shipping to here is basically impossible now too, even if I could find a store still accepting and shipping orders.

Can I roll my own contrast by mixing contrast medium with regular paint, or will that be a waste of paint and medium?

jesus WEP posted:

this will show you how to make contrast paints
https://youtu.be/VU0rc0EOOys

That's the video I used and it works well. Upsides are that you get to mix your own colors and intensity. Downsides you have to figure out the colors and intensity every time.

That and I don't really like the effect of contrast paints, but that's just tastes.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
what country do you live in that you've got one hobby store?

edit: Iceland. Should've guessed. I was going to say 'French Polynesia' or something.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Does anyone have a good source for buying moderate quantities (25-50) of the standard 25mm plain round unslotted GW bases?

The usual online retailers sell them direct from GW, and so they can't ship them right now, and while I can find Infiniti bases from some places I don't like that A) that they're lower than the GW bases and B) that they have the two slot ridges on their underside despite not being slotted, as this can interfere with attaching magnets.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-60-25mm-Round-Bases-For-wargames-table-games/263064312774?hash=item3d3fdadbc6:g:Sw4AAOSwuxFY3nlx

They have every base type you could want in huge bulk and extremely cheap. No point in buying official GW for something this simple.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Perfect, thanks! I was looking at Ebay but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Serenade posted:

That and I don't really like the effect of contrast paints, but that's just tastes.

Stop eating it then, brushlicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

please do not voidshame itt