Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Multi boxing bots is a thing. They run hacks on their account and run a number of other bots on text mode to protect them.

I’ve also seen a lot more normal hackers who are attempting to play the game but use aim bots. There was a guy I played with yesterday that was on my team. I though he was just a good heavy player because he was moving and using cover well. He was out fragging me a little, but nothing that screamed cheater. When I died I spec’d him and it was pretty clear he was aimbotting and no spread hacking when he was fighting another heavy who jumped him revved up and he was still able to 180 flick perfectly and out gun him at mid range. He had maybe 3/4 health before he engaged and survived with 50 hp the other heavy was full and was playing well so I don’t think he missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I guess I'm noob, but what's up with Pauling talking to you when you spawn on community servers?

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Galaxander posted:

I guess I'm noob, but what's up with Pauling talking to you when you spawn on community servers?

Do you have a contract activated?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

No I don't have contracts.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Galaxander posted:

No I don't have contracts.

That is pretty weird, the only time I ever remember hearing her was while in the middle of a contract/turning it in.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Vaah posted:

That is pretty weird, the only time I ever remember hearing her was while in the middle of a contract/turning it in.

Hm, I'll take a look at my contracker, maybe I've got some switch flipped that I shouldn't or somethin.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've been seeing something where one player will join and there'll be several other players with the same name, like PlayerName and PlayerName(1), PlayerName(2), PlayerName (3). At first I thought it was a cheater with a bunch of bots but several times I've had them all on mic communicating. Is that how it shows when people join as a party?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I've been seeing something where one player will join and there'll be several other players with the same name, like PlayerName and PlayerName(1), PlayerName(2), PlayerName (3). At first I thought it was a cheater with a bunch of bots but several times I've had them all on mic communicating. Is that how it shows when people join as a party?

Parties definitely do not have to share a name. That was done as a choice.

Also I looked at my contracker and there are contracts shown in the merc-park section or whatever, but they're all locked. The pyroland ones are all completed.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I played some casual last night. No bots or anything and I managed to have a load of good games. TF2 still fun.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
One thing lately I've noticed is that it's really hard to find a good Pybro when you're trying to be Engineer and indeed lately I've not been seeing many Pyros doing a lot of Spy Checking even though that's arguably their most important job

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Jippa posted:

I played some casual last night. No bots or anything and I managed to have a load of good games. TF2 still fun.

Hackers come and go but tf2 is forever

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I jumped on and the entire team was playing sniper. Not like the usual four or five snipers you'll see in a bad pub, I mean all ten players gimmicking with the Classic and Sydney Sleeper and Huntsman. (And one spy using the Ambassador).

It was good fun, and it's heartwarming that those sort of shenanigans can still happen even in quick play.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

drrockso20 posted:

One thing lately I've noticed is that it's really hard to find a good Pybro when you're trying to be Engineer and indeed lately I've not been seeing many Pyros doing a lot of Spy Checking even though that's arguably their most important job

I'll definitely spycheck when playing pyro, but in the general "I'm going to check collision when running past teammates, puff people as I run by occasionally, and maybe fire a scorch shot flare into known hiding places to see if anyone's there" sort of way. I'm doing this as I try to kill lots of people and maybe push the cart, take a point, slow down a push, whatever. I'm not spending the match babysitting the engie because they need to be watching their own back and the best way for an engie to keep their nest safe is to have it be where you're team will be clustering anyway.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

To me, the idea of "pybro" has always seemed like a lot of work that just makes the game more boring all around. I'm pretty badly biased against defense in general tho.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The problem is that playing PyBro is boring. If I’m basically just idling, sure, I’ll run around and spy check. But unless there’s a shitton of spies or an aggressive Demoman on the other side, if I ACTUALLY want to help my team, I’m going Medic.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I mean turtle engineer is boring as well but people still play it. I don’t think I’ve used anything but the gunslinger in a long time.

That being said, I think pybros tend to hang out on 24/7 CTF servers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
People still play Torbjorn, too, that doesn’t mean I enjoy it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I mean turtle engineer is boring as well but people still play it. I don’t think I’ve used anything but the gunslinger in a long time.

I remember trying old-fashioned combat engie without the gunslinger a bunch and enjoying that, too. Losing the 25 health, 25 metal and the fast deploy definitely isn't worth it, but if you can slip a L1 somewhere further forward than people expect it you can take a lot of people by surprise with the extra damage it does over the minisentry.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
helpful defense pyro spending a lot of time spychecking and babysitting nests is more boring than non-combat engie. there's no reason for engie to ever be 100% non-combat turtle though even if you're playing passively so it's kind of a false dichotomy

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Ditocoaf posted:

I remember trying old-fashioned combat engie without the gunslinger a bunch and enjoying that, too. Losing the 25 health, 25 metal and the fast deploy definitely isn't worth it, but if you can slip a L1 somewhere further forward than people expect it you can take a lot of people by surprise with the extra damage it does over the minisentry.

I loved ninjaneering before the engineer update. There’s a lot of clever places around the maps to place a level one and bait a combat class into. I feel like the level of combat engineer has gone down as a whole because you can just pump them out without thinking. The number of engineers I’ve seen drop a mini in front of me as a soldier or demo is staggering.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I loved ninjaneering before the engineer update. There’s a lot of clever places around the maps to place a level one and bait a combat class into. I feel like the level of combat engineer has gone down as a whole because you can just pump them out without thinking. The number of engineers I’ve seen drop a mini in front of me as a soldier or demo is staggering.

Sometimes as an engie I just throw a turret down like this so that the soldier will waste a rocket shooting it while I run in and meatshot him, take his metal, and then build a proper sentry over his dead body.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

To me . Level 2s are my bros. There is not enough love for them..

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

reignofevil posted:

Sometimes as an engie I just throw a turret down like this so that the soldier will waste a rocket shooting it while I run in and meatshot him, take his metal, and then build a proper sentry over his dead body.

I do this as well as a last ditch. It's the engie equivalent of a lizard popping off its tail. It's a pretty cheap tactic, but at least it's not as bad as when minis used to start out with full health AND regenerate health while building.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/ValveNewsNetwor/status/1249794008265756692

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Haven't played the game in ages, but still, this hits hard.

You were good son, real good, maybe even the best.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Paying my respects to a legend

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hihohe posted:

To me . Level 2s are my bros. There is not enough love for them..

L2s are pretty much better than L3s in a lot of situations. I don't know if it's just the lack of rockets providing an obvious contrail back to the sentry or what, but it's seemingly a lot harder for many players to figure out where an L2 is shooting at them from than an L3. It's not invisible, but if it takes an extra quarter second that significantly decreases their chances of surviving. Also, there's the obvious bit about them deploying faster than L3s after being carried or rescue rangered that makes them better for aggressive play.

All in all, I'd say I probably used L2s just as much if not more than L3s. It's always worth taking a gun to L2, the increase in firepower is substantial, but many times I'd rather be working with an L2 than an L3 and it's occasionally annoying when some helpful teammate bangs it up to L3 when I don't want them to. If you're turtling up on defense, sure, but the rocket really doesn't do as much as you'd think it does and it can have some downsides to going full L3 too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 13, 2020

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Godspeed you magnificent bastard

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePWhNzdbbWE
:(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

RIP;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVBOLoDSMUM

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

drat. RIP.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

gently caress. RIP. :(

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Rick May, the Soldier's VA from TF2, passed away.

Let's send him off good, with a massive Soldier clusterfuck in the server. From 7PM to 9PM central (8-10 eastern), I'm gonna have a class limit plugin on the server disabling every class except Soldier. Taunting and voice-clip spamming is 100% encouraged. Let's get as much motherfucking Rick May into two hours as we can.

xposting this here in case any of y'all aren't watching the Quarantine Fun Zone thread. click the link back to the thread for server details.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
RIP Rick May

:negative:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Rest in Peace, Rick May. He's no longer with us, but his voice has left a footprint a mile wide.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Go join the QFZ server if you want to commemorate him with absolute loving chaos

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
RiP to a real one.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
RIP Rick, your performance has brought many memorable moments up throughout the years.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Rick May Memorial Clusterfuck is underway and it's amazing

Merasmuses and Horseless Headless Horsemen and tanks everywhere, a giant soldier in the skybox, one of the players is micspamming patriotic music and Soldier lines

I'm genuinely not sure there can be a better sendoff for this man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Rick May Memorial Clusterfuck is underway and it's amazing

Merasmuses and Horseless Headless Horsemen and tanks everywhere, a giant soldier in the skybox, one of the players is micspamming patriotic music and Soldier lines

I'm genuinely not sure there can be a better sendoff for this man

Photographic evidence