Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I'm on this weird oscillation between "poo poo will the store have eggs" and "poo poo I need to eat this whole tray of bbq pork shoulder", because my family has no concept of leftovers. I'm the only one who will eat food that's over 6 hours old, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

AnnoyBot posted:

I'm on this weird oscillation between "poo poo will the store have eggs" and "poo poo I need to eat this whole tray of bbq pork shoulder", because my family has no concept of leftovers.

I too have whole bunches of one thing and not enough of another it makes for weird meals

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

AnnoyBot posted:

I'm on this weird oscillation between "poo poo will the store have eggs" and "poo poo I need to eat this whole tray of bbq pork shoulder", because my family has no concept of leftovers. I'm the only one who will eat food that's over 6 hours old, I swear.

My wife

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well don't worry about that much longer. One of the largest meat providers in the US is shutting down production lines and warning of nationwide meat shortages.

quote:

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Smithfield Foods, the world’s biggest pork processor, said on Sunday it will shut a U.S. plant indefinitely due to a rash of coronavirus cases among employees and warned the country was moving “perilously close to the edge” in supplies for grocers.

lol

quote:

...Other major US meat and poultry processors, including Tyson Foods Inc., Cargill Inc. and JBS USA, have already idled plants in other states.

lol lol!

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 13, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

"Where's the beef?" about to take on new meaning.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No, I'm right here.

That was about pork and chicken plz reread my post.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah we had a beef and chicken factory close today too. Hello tp rush

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

naem posted:

we’re hosed if we open

The US response is just so baffling to those of us living in countries where the restrictions are expected to be in place for at least six months.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

probably a good thing if people get used to eating less meat tbh

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Old Boot posted:

This is late, but fair warning to anyone that gets recommended CBD supplements: it's real enough that it can mess w/ other medications. People taking ADD drugs especially said there were range of responses, from meds not working at all, to XR dumping into their system all at once, to totally normal.

Has to do with the gut receptors CBD binds to. A lot of other meds do, but CBD seems to (seems to) like hogging it in a way that makes it more or a dice roll than you might otherwise think.

Just have a look into it. You could be fine. You might not. Discuss w/ doctor where able, etc.

HUGE WARNING ^^ STATINS IS ONE

if you are taking statins DO NOT DO CBD I personally had a horrific 6 months from statin induced arthralgia that came out of nowhere. I was not using CBD but have read about how it binds to something in the liver that makes statins build up which means you can get what I had which was awful..(I know like friggin everything about statins now.)

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

My friends laughed when I said I got four bags of tendies as part of my emergency prep back in February. Who's laughing now? :smug:

(they are still, bagged frozen chicken tenders are like 15% actual meat)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

goethe.cx posted:

probably a good thing if people get used to eating less meat tbh

Yeah you know what wouldn't be wonderful?

The means of food production collapsing during a pandemic, though. How about we take one step at a time here, alright man? Jesus christ.

It'd be fuckin great if the world ran on hugs and love and everyone cared for their fellow man forever, you know? Current status: Praying we don't get hosed sideways even more than we already are. I'll hope for what I can and keep tabs on the rest if that's ok?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lolie posted:

The US response is just so baffling to those of us living in countries where the restrictions are expected to be in place for at least six months.

France is planning only until 11 may, then slowly rolling out people back to work, with major gatherings banned into the summer. Restaurants/clubs/bars/theatres closed for a while as well

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/who-officials-say-its-unclear-whether-recovered-coronavirus-patients-are-immune-to-second-infection.html

The World Health Organization is saying that it is not clear that people are able to build anti-bodies coronavirus. If that is true, and considering how contagious this virus is, isn't that pretty much civilization ending if we are forced into isolation for possibly years, if not forever?

Ranidas
Jun 19, 2007
I will never understand people who wont eat leftovers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

13Pandora13 posted:

My friends laughed when I said I got four bags of tendies as part of my emergency prep back in February. Who's laughing now? :smug:

(they are still, bagged frozen chicken tenders are like 15% actual meat)

I gotta get some bags of those. I don’t really like them but they’re good vehicles for hot sauce.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hokkaido was one of the first places outside China to declare a state of emergency at the end of February. They just declared another state of emergency because they tried to "reopen" and a second huge wave of infections has struck again.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/who-officials-say-its-unclear-whether-recovered-coronavirus-patients-are-immune-to-second-infection.html

The World Health Organization is saying that it is not clear that people are able to build anti-bodies coronavirus. If that is true, and considering how contagious this virus is, isn't that pretty much civilization ending if we are forced into isolation for possibly years, if not forever?

What? No. There's multiple strains of this so it's entirely possible certain groups of people who have convalescent plasma for one strain won't adapt as well to another and get sick again but that doesn't at all mean they will get *as* sick and wouldn't make something like a vaccine completely out of the question. I hate to use flu as a comparison becuase this isn't like the flu and anyone being like "iT's JuSt A fLu," is a loving idiot but you're never immune to all flus just because you've had one strain, and you don't retain immunity to strains you've had long-term either. It just means that any vaccine or treatment we develop will likely need to be annualized and not a one-and-done.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Lolie posted:

It's baffling to those of us in the US too :buddy:

I said come in! posted:

That article said that some people develop no antibodies, while others develop very high levels of antibodies. It's not unheard of for some people to not develop antibodies in response to a given infection or a vaccine. Additionally, it just says "we don't have evidence that people with high antibody levels don't get reinfected," not "we have evidence that people with high antibody levels do get reinfected." The only way we'll have evidence either way is for people with known high antibody levels to get confirmed infections or not. That'll take a while.

Picnic Princess posted:

Hokkaido was one of the first places outside China to declare a state of emergency at the end of February. They just declared another state of emergency because they tried to "reopen" and a second huge wave of infections has struck again.
It's incredibly frustrating how nobody seems willing to learn from the mistakes of others here. Can they not think more than a loving week in advance? They're like children going "But I want to reopen NOWWWWWWW", nevermind that doing so will just waste everything we've done up to this point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lolie posted:

We expect our government to want to kill us daily, so none of this phases anyone over here.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I said come in! posted:

The majority of people get a mild form of the disease. There's no evidence that people who've had it before become more ill during subsequent infections.

Right now we don't have the data to draw sound conclusions, but it's possible that this will become an endemic virus which many people experience a couple of times a year, as happens with the common cold.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ranidas posted:

I will never understand people who wont eat leftovers.
They’ve never been hungry.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

Yeah you know what wouldn't be wonderful?

The means of food production collapsing during a pandemic, though. How about we take one step at a time here, alright man? Jesus christ.

It'd be fuckin great if the world ran on hugs and love and everyone cared for their fellow man forever, you know? Current status: Praying we don't get hosed sideways even more than we already are. I'll hope for what I can and keep tabs on the rest if that's ok?

This. Lentils, chickpeas, quinoa, beans, etc. have all been sold out everywhere for going on six weeks now around me and drat near everywhere online. "People should eat less meat anyway" is really loving stupid when non-meat protein is completely unavailable because as it ends up, you loving die with no protein/amino acids at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We're already pretty hosed because Literally All of the fast food places did not and mostly still have not closed or at least stopped taking cash.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

:stonklol:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lolie posted:

The majority of people get a mild form of the disease. There's no evidence that people who've had it before become more ill during subsequent infections.

Right now we don't have the data to draw sound conclusions, but it's possible that this will become an endemic virus which many people experience a couple of times a year, as happens with the common cold.

All of this because a man and pangolin loved one another.

Sumatra_7
Mar 27, 2010
Outrageous Lumpwad

Big Beef City posted:

Conservatives: "Strip the Federal government of its powers. More power to the individual and for States rights! No Big Government! YAAAY"

Also Conservatives: "One man at the top of the entire Federal Government should have the power to make sweeping changes for every state with no checks to that power."

One man in charge sounds li a pretty small government

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There’s never a meat shortage in my house.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
The dunkin donuts near my work is pretty much the only thing open in the neighborhood, they stopped taking cash and have a big sign saying so, they have tables in front of the register to block it, with a credit card machine on a table. Pretty loving simple. Dude still waltzes in, orders a coffee, then leans over the table as far as he can trying to shove a fiver at the worker. When told they don't take cash right now he bitched loudly then continued muttering while inserting his card and waiting for his coffee. Some people just don't loving get it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

bird with big dick posted:

There’s never a meat shortage in my house.
if poo poo goes really south my neighborhood has deers and i know where the petting zoo is

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

They’ve never been hungry.

Wow, spot on.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Im Ready for SOY

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Whats the absolute worst case scenario if Trump demanded everyone back at work next week? 1 million die this year from the beer bug? 3 million?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

coronavirus posted:

Whats the absolute worst case scenario if Trump demanded everyone back at work next week? 1 million die this year from the beer bug? 3 million?

literally millions of deaths

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

coronavirus posted:

i believe that imperial college study predicted 2.2 million deaths as the worst case scenario if literally no social distancing was implemented. so probably something close to that

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

coronavirus posted:

I mean honestly I like to think that enough epidemiologists and other actual scientists would be on the news 24/7 telling people this is a horrible idea, so enough companies would be hesitant to reopen because of optics or liability regardless of what Orange Daddy says.

Would still suck for small businesses owned by the chuddiest of chuds who believe everything he says but I think/hope the pushback would be significant. I mean it’s not like he can force Disney World or Chili’s to reopen or anything (yet).

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

coronavirus posted:

It's looking like the case fatality rate for this thing is at least several percent. Yes, half or so of cases are asymptomatic, but also a great deal of people are dying at home and not getting counted, so the exact numbers are tough to pin down.

But, let's assume 1% CFR overall. That's 1 million deaths per 100 million people. If half of America gets infected and that CFR remains steady, we're looking at about 1.6 million deaths in America alone. If everyone catches it, 3.2 million.

If the CFR is 2% instead of 1%, double that. If it's 3% instead of 1%, triple it.

goethe.cx posted:

i believe that imperial college study predicted 2.2 million deaths as the worst case scenario if literally no social distancing was implemented. so probably something close to that
Was this from the geniuses whose "2000 lines of old, undocumented C code" model led to the herd immunity idea, or was it someone else? (No literally, that's where the 'herd immunity' idea came from.)

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

It's going to be Trump vs. some Governors now
Holy poo poo

I think Trump holds most of the cards

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Congrats goons who live in states where planning for balkanization is already underway.

I'm probably gonna die :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Congrats goons who live in states where planning for balkanization is already underway.

I'm probably gonna die :(

:sympathy: