Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
All games encourage people to min-max like crazy, so balance becomes ridiculously important. As a major example, early EQ had a *huuuuuge* balance problem in that clerics were the only decent healers at higher levels that didn't get addressed for years. Even then, little things like supposedly minor racial spells can become huge issues, like the racial problem with casters I mentioned earlier, can basically punish people for seemingly innocuous choices. Nobody wants to play a class for tens or hundreds of hours and then find out that they are a second-class citizen because they went elf and not dwarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

All games encourage people to min-max like crazy, so balance becomes ridiculously important. As a major example, early EQ had a *huuuuuge* balance problem in that clerics were the only decent healers at higher levels that didn't get addressed for years. Even then, little things like supposedly minor racial spells can become huge issues, like the racial problem with casters I mentioned earlier, can basically punish people for seemingly innocuous choices. Nobody wants to play a class for tens or hundreds of hours and then find out that they are a second-class citizen because they went elf and not dwarf.

The issue that often comes up is if the game is easy enough to allow for a wide variety of builds to be viable, min-maxing can end up trivializing the whole thing. Which can be fine for a narrative driven game, but for an online RPG that needs replay value to sustain itself, it would get boring too quickly. So they need content that's scaled to still be challenging for the strongest characters players can build, but then this has the opposite problem where you now have to min-max because you simply won't be viable in that content if you don't. The other option is just restricting the number of options players have with their build to make it easier to balance, but then this takes away the fun of coming up with a build in the first place.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's more a problem for MMOs than for other kinds of games because multiplayer brings out a degree of competitiveness that you just don't see in singleplayer RPGs. You could probably minmax Nethack as insanely as people minmax Everquest or World of Warcraft, but nobody would, because doing whatever crazy poo poo comes to mind at your own pace is what a game like that is all about.

It does make it difficult to balance MMOs, though, yeah. Even tiny things can have a huge impact - although not necessarily in an absolute sense. It's difficult to mess up badly enough to make one class effectively invincible. What isn't difficult is to mess up badly enough that there is a loud and obnoxious outcry because a class now has a 5.7% higher chance of winning their PVP matches when compared to the average.

As they say, if you make your system idiot proof, people will just invent better idiots.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Both Cheshire and Vorax raise good points, but I don't think that they realise how lopsided this problem ways and how long it lasted. That said, I am aware that nobody wants to hear me bang on about this so I'll drop it. I will say that EQ had very little PvP scene and was entirely cooperative, so the admittedly incessant whining about PvP balance didn't come into it. I do agree that the constant nattering about PvP balance in WoW was bloody tiresome.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hey - quick one about camera controls. We're busy on that now. Are there any camera controls, shortcuts or options you feel are missing from some of your old favourites, from a QoL perspective? Panning at edge of screen, right click/centre click and hold to pan, WASD to move camera, spacebar (or whatever) to quick jump back to character, and so on?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Does your game have a minimap? Can you direct people to places on the minimap?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
My big things are wasd to move it around and something like spacebar to center like you already mentioned.

I also really like the option to have the camera follow the party automatically out of combat to make exploration easier but I think I already saw that feature in the trailer.

A minimap or map screen you can just click on to view there and/or have your characters autopath there is very nice for backtracking, bonus points if party members keep getting stuck on corners when you do it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks a lot guys - where we're at now:

- Minimap out of scope for now. I'd like it, but let's see what we can do.
- Can easily direct people in the actual town map screen though.
- WASD to move camera
- Space bar (bindable to other keys) to centre on player
- Camera to follow party as an option (can turn on/off)
- Map screen will have locations you can fast travel to in friendly locations. So no need to run across the entire map if you're passing through an explored town. Sitting and watching people run through big maps is boring.
- Fog of war permanently removed once you explore through it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

First-time play through of BG:EE: do I max my health rolls or not?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm newer to isometric RPGs, and have got D:OS2 and Planescape Torment for my quarantine fun times. Should I prioritize Planescape so I won't be as frustrated with it later, or play D:OS2 so I'm more accustomed to the genre?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm newer to isometric RPGs, and have got D:OS2 and Planescape Torment for my quarantine fun times. Should I prioritize Planescape so I won't be as frustrated with it later, or play D:OS2 so I'm more accustomed to the genre?
They're kinda completely different games. I guess the main thing to keep in mind (for both) is that there are likely a ton of options and actions that you might not even think of doing or pursuing so keep an open mind and experiment with everything. I probably wouldn't recommend either of them as someone's first RPG simply because they're both so much more detailed than most in the genre.

I'd recommend either Baldur's Gate 1 or Fallout 1 but I don't know how palatable they'd be to someone who's brand new.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Fallom posted:

Going to say yes, random health per level just leads to my broke brain save/loading to be perfectly optimal.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Naar posted:

Going to say yes, random health per level just leads to my broke brain save/loading to be perfectly optimal.

I agreee. Max health is something that is permanent and affects a character in a very profound way, so having it be non-random is something that 4e really did well and should be standard, in my opinion. Also, I prefer to play the IE games without resting every eight steps, so you can see why I would be an advocate.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Fallom posted:

I'd say yes, max them. In my experience, the random health per level mostly serves to make the game more random. Not necessarily more difficult in the correct sense of the word, just a lot more subject to pure dice rolls. Enemies which would be dangerous with max HP rolls a bit more worrisome with a few less HP but not dramatically so; pushover encounters are still pushovers. What the random health is *most* notable for is making it so you have to worry about some random archer with two straight crits and suddenly your mage is dead.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Bard's Tale IV is included in this month's Humble Monthly so you all get to experience what I've been going through...

...which is sheer bliss!! For real though I actually think it's pretty good other than exploring the boring/giant main city (street level) for items and whatnot. I assume it opens up quite a bit judging by the world map.

It reminds me of a combination between Arx Fatalis exploration with Betrayal At Krondor combat (except the field is limited by 50% and blobber-based).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Joe Man posted:

Bard's Tale IV is included in this month's Humble Monthly so you all get to experience what I've been going through...

...which is sheer bliss!! For real though I actually think it's pretty good other than exploring the boring/giant main city (street level) for items and whatnot. I assume it opens up quite a bit judging by the world map.

It reminds me of a combination between Arx Fatalis exploration with Betrayal At Krondor combat (except the field is limited by 50% and blobber-based).

You're a bad man.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I think he is a Joe Man.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

The Joe Man posted:

Yeah it's underrated. I thought the combat was a real interesting take on CRPG combat and the action economy and it nailed the exploration pretty well.

Plus there's a real big BT1 callback if you grew up on it like I did.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Sorry if this has been asked and answered and I missed it, this thread is massive and wonderful.
I'm trying to get into Darklands but what really keeps making me bounce off isn't the gameplay or anything like that - I love it all. What's killing me is the font. I can't stand it. It's an eyesore. Is there any way to fiddle with the files and poo poo and change the font it uses? Or somewhere in the settings?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered and I missed it, this thread is massive and wonderful.
I'm trying to get into Darklands but what really keeps making me bounce off isn't the gameplay or anything like that - I love it all. What's killing me is the font. I can't stand it. It's an eyesore. Is there any way to fiddle with the files and poo poo and change the font it uses? Or somewhere in the settings?

I have the same problem only it's the "SSI Goldbox games embedded font looking terrible zoomed up on modern displays" in my case.
Only fix that worked for me is messing around with display resolution size to find something workable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Sorry, from what I know, the most that you can do about this is to mess with your scaling engine in DosBox.

https://www.gog.com/forum/darklands/graphic_mode_setup_program_problem

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Cardiovorax posted:

Sorry, from what I know, the most that you can do about this is to mess with your scaling engine in DosBox.

https://www.gog.com/forum/darklands/graphic_mode_setup_program_problem

Hm, thanks, I'll see what I can do. I'm playing it from the Steam version of the game, but I imagine that link will still work. Thanks.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hi guys. This thread over here sent me into a time warp about playing Baldur's Gate 2 multiplayer. Long story short: back in the day a friend and me got around the broken TCP/IP by making a VPN and then using IPX over it. Anyway, inquiring minds would like to know: did the enhanced edition redo the networking? Or is my weird old hack still the best way?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
You might have better luck in this thread. Actually I'm not sure why that thread isn't in the Retro games folder.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

From what I've been able to find on the Steam forums, it's very much hit or miss and often very unstable. I think you might actually have a better shot getting it to run by using Hamachi to build a pretend LAN.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
J.E Sawyer's been quarantine-streaming a bunch of old school RPG -related stuff, he talked about RPG reputation systems a week back and has recently been playing Darklands which has been cool to watch even as someone who never got into it.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Kanfy posted:

J.E Sawyer's been quarantine-streaming a bunch of old school RPG -related stuff, he talked about RPG reputation systems a week back and has recently been playing Darklands which has been cool to watch even as someone who never got into it.

Very cool. Thanks for that! :tipshat:

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I ended up reading Josh's interview with Arnold Hendrick that's on RPG Codex, which mentions a lot of the main missions and quests in Darklands came from Sandy Petersen. I've been watching a lot of Civvie11's Pro Doom videos, and thought, "that can't be the same Sandy Petersen who made half the levels of Doom 1 and 2, can it?" Turns out it is.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Wait, the author of the Call of Cthulu ttrpg worked on Doom?! That's wild.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glimpse posted:

He also was largely responsible for Quake, although the connection there is a bit more obvious given Quake's much more Lovecraftian theme.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Glimpse posted:

Yep, and Jennell Jacquays (an influential early D&D designer) worked on Quake 2. Before there were dedicated game design schools for video games, RPGs were kind of the best place to go for level design and so on. There's a lot of crossover, even these days. Warren Spector got his start in tabletop RPG design, too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hell if you read the original Doom Bible (barely any of which made it into the final product) you can see how the original design was actually much more of an RPG than what it ended up being. A lot of id software were actually big D&D nerds, they just happened to keep making simple action games because the technology was so new that it was just easier to do something basic and hopefully finish the game before Carmack wrote another brand new engine that everyone was going to have to learn how to use again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hell if you read the original Doom Bible (barely any of which made it into the final product) you can see how the original design was actually much more of an RPG than what it ended up being. A lot of id software were actually big D&D nerds, they just happened to keep making simple action games because the technology was so new that it was just easier to do something basic and hopefully finish the game before Carmack wrote another brand new engine that everyone was going to have to learn how to use again.

Quake was originally supposed to be an RPG starring Quake, one of their RPG characters.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
About a decade ago I started a Call of Cthulhu campaign where all my friends played themselves, and the overarching plot involved tabletop game designers working to bring their creations to real life. I say this because in the process of figuring out who designed what and what else they did, I came to the conclusion Sandy Petersen has to be one of the most noteworthy people in gaming whose name rarely comes up. He was involved in the creation of more amazing influential games of both tabletop and video variety than makes any sense.

Seriously; DOOM, Civilization, Age of Empires, Call of Cthulhu, Sid Meier's Pirates!, and that is not even all... What a jerk

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Doom actually uses RNG for calculating damage when you shoot an enemy. There's a bit more RPG baked into that game than people realize.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

They came up with a whole elaborate lore and backstory for Doom then decided it was dumb and scrapped it all, which frankly is a lesson that their modern counterparts should have learned

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They came up with a whole elaborate lore and backstory for Doom then decided it was dumb and scrapped it all, which frankly is a lesson that their modern counterparts should have learned

I have seen this opinion thrown about a lot and it's stupid and I wish people would stop saying it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Glagha posted:

I have seen this opinion thrown about a lot and it's stupid and I wish people would stop saying it.
2016 was fine but Eternal is made worse for every dumb third person cutscene and they really need someone to tell them that quoting the Doom comic, while funny, isn't enough humour to carry two full scripts

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly, I paid absolutely zero attention to the plot of Doom 2016. "There are demons, go kill the demons" was more than enough plot to carry Doom 1 and 2, I'm not really asking for or terribly interested in any more than that. If those games need anything, it's less plot, not better plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I tried the newest Doom recently and I did not like it. Firstly, it was phenomenally hard in my experience, and secondly the focus on melee range and minimal ammo was not fun. To each their own and all that, but the fact that this thing is getting such good player feedback (I put zero stock in "professional reviewers") is baffling to me.