Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I had a serious "Wait a second!" moment when one of Cloud's flashes (before the plate drop on Sector 7) showed the Holy materia dropping off the platform from the original game into the water when he was talking to Aerith. Pretty much anybody that played the game previously has to know that there is a timeline fuckery plot afoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

All's I want in the long run is more in depth character development fro the turks because they really knocked it out of the ballpark in this game. loving loved it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Flopsy posted:

All's I want in the long run is more in depth character development fro the turks because they really knocked it out of the ballpark in this game. loving loved it.

Yeah, this. Quite honestly all of the secondary characters are all super charming and really well written. Reno and Rude aren't cackling mustache twirling villains and they have as much of a conscious as people in black ops/wetwork can have. They have doubts of the means of their ends, but they are nonetheless jobbers who have a goal.

Really, I kind of wish there was more to do with the Avalanche crew. I'm all about Horny Jessie and I wish her luck in her quest, and even that gets commented upon (I think Biggs made mention to Cloud during a side conversation that Jessie is kind of a Maneater).

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Flopsy posted:

Yeah they rock

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ugh, literally in the scene in the church when Aeris refers to her materia, Cloud has a flashforward to her clasped hands and Holy materia bouncing down the pillars in the forgotten city.

So just before wall market, his "unseen" vision that made him cry a single tear pretty much has to have been her death.

Between that and the flash of the lakebed in the fight against destiny - I'm gonna say that seven seconds thing is pretty much confirmed. But I've no idea how anyone figured that out lol

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, this. Quite honestly all of the secondary characters are all super charming and really well written. Reno and Rude aren't cackling mustache twirling villains and they have as much of a conscious as people in black ops/wetwork can have. They have doubts of the means of their ends, but they are nonetheless jobbers who have a goal.

Really, I kind of wish there was more to do with the Avalanche crew. I'm all about Horny Jessie and I wish her luck in her quest, and even that gets commented upon (I think Biggs made mention to Cloud during a side conversation that Jessie is kind of a Maneater).

I say this without a hint of exaggeration this game has done the best job on their characters out the entire series and that includes the original game. Reno and Rude are no longer clowns and the work they do has serious ugly consequences and they clearly are torn up about it. While Tseng has mercifully been relieved of his creepy crush on Aerith and now comes across as a helluva a lot more calculating and poised. That conversation where he tries to alleviate their guilt over dropping the plate and fails was straight up the good poo poo I've wanted for years.

Also since I'm shamelessly gushing there's some wonderful show don't tell scenes like when they're in the helicopter yelling scripted lines at Avalanche to try and paint themselves as the good guys and Reno cracks up when Rude does it because he can't act for poo poo. Neither of these guys buy the party line, they're literally in it for a paycheck and this does a great job of fleshing that out.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 13, 2020

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

VagueRant posted:

Ugh, literally in the scene in the church when Aeris refers to her materia, Cloud has a flashforward to her clasped hands and Holy materia bouncing down the pillars in the forgotten city.

So just before wall market, his "unseen" vision that made him cry a single tear pretty much has to have been her death.

Between that and the flash of the lakebed in the fight against destiny - I'm gonna say that seven seconds thing is pretty much confirmed. But I've no idea how anyone figured that out lol

Welcome to the internet, where everyone has WAY TOO MUCH loving FREE TIME ON THEIR HANDS. Especially with everyone stuck away at home due to Corona.

Also, man some of the fights toward the end kind of got bullshitty. The Bahamut phase of the final boss was basically me just struggling to tread water until Limit Breaks came up. During the final leg of the Sephiroth fight he straight up stuffed a limit break too, which I've literally never seen happen elsewhere in the game. The duel with Rufus was also kind of poo poo, any time I went to go attack the dog he'd get in the way such that he'd counter attack me in a way that didn't really seem intended. He's constantly pressuring you and you don't really have good windows for spellcasting to knock him off balance or even heal yourself without getting buckshot in the maw. I will say before those points the way the boss fights were designed was an absolute joy with how it layers on mechanics as the fight progresses in a fairly natural way and to keep it from getting too stale. Even the ones people were maligning like Hell House weren't too terribly difficult on balance, once you got a feel for the flow. A lot of his attacks were avoidable if you weren't RTT CQB guy trying to slay bodies in the primary. I wish on bosses where you had to hit a weakpoint (scorpion bot, the tankbot that Barret/Aeris fight toward the end) that it was easier to actually hit the weakpoint if you don't have Thunder. Hell, Aero was practically worthless for it's intended purpose of ganking flying enemies because it took ages for the spell to actually trigger and none of the flying enemies stood still long enough for it to do so. Fighting the more advanced drakes is especially frustrating because of it.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 13, 2020

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

What was the point in Roche? Does he appear again after you fight him and I just missed it?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It really annoyed me in the train graveyard that Aerith clearly showed, multiple times, that she can talk to ghosts and understand them and neither Cloud nor Tifa ever took the time to ask "Hey what the gently caress is going on explain this poo poo right now".

Like how do you not do that other than "plot inconvenience"?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Welcome to the internet, where everyone has WAY TOO MUCH loving FREE TIME ON THEIR HANDS. Especially with everyone stuck away at home due to Corona.

Also, man some of the fights toward the end kind of got bullshitty. The Bahamut phase of the final boss was basically me just struggling to tread water until Limit Breaks came up. During the final leg of the Sephiroth fight he straight up stuffed a limit break too, which I've literally never seen happen elsewhere in the game. The duel with Rufus was also kind of poo poo, any time I went to go attack the dog he'd get in the way such that he'd counter attack me in a way that didn't really seem intended. He's constantly pressuring you and you don't really have good windows for spellcasting to knock him off balance or even heal yourself without getting buckshot in the maw. I will say before those points the way the boss fights were designed was an absolute joy with how it layers on mechanics as the fight progresses in a fairly natural way and to keep it from getting too stale. Even the ones people were maligning like Hell House weren't too terribly difficult on balance, once you got a feel for the flow. A lot of his attacks were avoidable if you weren't RTT CQB guy trying to slay bodies in the primary. I wish on bosses where you had to hit a weakpoint (scorpion bot, the tankbot that Barret/Aeris fight toward the end) that it was easier to actually hit the weakpoint if you don't have Thunder. Hell, Aero was practically worthless for it's intended purpose of ganking flying enemies because it took ages for the spell to actually trigger and none of the flying enemies stood still long enough for it to do so. Fighting the more advanced drakes is especially frustrating because of it.

For fighting Rufus, when the dog is there, doing the triple slash will basically instasever the 'leash', which makes dealing with the mutt super easy. And then when he's solo, it's just block > wait for reload and punish

As for general combat poo poo, ice and wind are so loving bad, holy poo poo. Fire and lightning hit immediately and do their full damage as soon as the projectile comes in contact with them, wind and ice though have two hits, with a big pause between them.

Nothing is worse than the stagger resetting between boss phases though, jesus christ.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Aeris has to keep quiet because she's colluding with the time janitors. The time janitors are actually cloud and the gang, but it's their like fifth attempt at trying to fix the timeline and it still isn't working. By the fourth part, we'll be playing as the time janitors and THIS time, Aeris has an idea.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Why does she help in the fight against the Harbringer if she’s on their side?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

Aeris has to keep quiet because she's colluding with the time janitors. The time janitors are actually cloud and the gang, but it's their like fifth attempt at trying to fix the timeline and it still isn't working. By the fourth part, we'll be playing as the time janitors and THIS time, Aeris has an idea.

Pretty sure she's not...also do we ever find out why they were straight up loving with her for no reason at the start? Like I get they want fate to play out a certain way but she's wasn't doing poo poo but selling flowers which happens in the original timeline anyway. It's like they go out of their way to harass some of these characters and it makes no sense.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 13, 2020

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The rules of the fateghosts are totally inconsistent. Initially Aeris is the only who can see them and transfers it to Cloud by touch, but in the Sector 7 sequence everyone can see them?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

What was the point in Roche? Does he appear again after you fight him and I just missed it?

I thought he was going to pop up at the final motorcycle chase and it would be revealed that he had some Jenova cells so he'd transform into the final boss, but it turns out he was just a random greaser SOLDIER dude whose just out there living his best life.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Flopsy posted:

Pretty sure she's not...also do we ever find out why they were straight up loving with her for no reason at the start? Like I get they want fate to play out a certain way but she's wasn't doing poo poo but selling flowers which happens in the original timeline anyway. It's like they go out of their way to harass some of these characters and it makes no sense.

I got the impression that the Seph vision delayed Cloud enough that he otherwise would have missed meeting her.

Toasterferret
Feb 20, 2013

VagueRant posted:

The rules of the fateghosts are totally inconsistent. Initially Aeris is the only who can see them and transfers it to Cloud by touch, but in the Sector 7 sequence everyone can see them?

To be fair, only the Avalanche people they were loving with could see them. In my game right after that fight one of the villager NPC's said something like "Did you see that? They were just shooting at nothing!"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Surprise T Rex posted:

I got the impression that the Seph vision delayed Cloud enough that he otherwise would have missed meeting her.

That was my impression too.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Aerith explicitly states that she had been seeing them for a while, presumably whatever timeline/destiny fuckery is going on, it's centered around her first and foremost and it's only spreading to everyone else as things start butterfly-effecting out. Which gives more prescience to the Seven Seconds conversation that happens after they kill destiny being pretty explicitly about saving Aerith. Fate was pushing everyone in their respective directions, but it started first and more directly with fate making sure Aerith is always in the right place at the right time to give her knowledge and to make the larger plot kick off in force.

I actually love that whole whispers plot because it also plays as a pretty fourth-wall breaking piss-take on the sorts of people who were inevitably going to throw themselves into a frothing rage because the plot wasn't 100% true to the base game's canon. It's a meta-as-gently caress way to play up authorial-intent and pretty explicitly telling the fans not to expect a 100% true to base game translation. What better way of pre-emptively telling the spoil-sports to piss off about their chunky legoman rpg from twenty years ago than to have the characters have a climactic anime fight with the gestalt concept of story canon.

Related to the above - As a fun thought experiment. Go back to any of the cutscenes the whispers are in and imagine each individual whisper is voiced by a neckbeard going "Well, Actually...." and "... But the canon dictates", ect ect. It actually really good for a laugh.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 13, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The ghost thought she was gonna get run over by a car so it was helpfully guiding her back to the sidewalk, so she can die the way she's supposed to

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I beat the game last night and haven't had time to go back and double check. What was up with Aeris in the garden at her house? She said something weird and it had that like "this is sinister we're only going to show you the characters mouth cut" that they use with Sephiroth constantly.

Like that and Aeris kind of being the one spurring you on to fight fate seems to indicate to me she's actively trying not to die and that might gently caress with things a lot more than we expect, but I also haven't rewatched that scene and it was very late so I might be giving it too much weight since no one else seems to be discussing it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I finished this last night after ~33 hours played. I loved it! But the ending was pretty confusing for me. I only played a couple hours of the original like 20 years ago, so I didn't know what the hell was going on. It's become a little clearer after watching ending explained videos on YouTube though.

But could someone give me a spoiler summary of what happens in the rest of the original after leaving Midgar? From what I've heard, you leave Midgar in the original after only a handful of hours and it's a 3-disc game so I'm assuming there's a lot more story to go.

I'll probably forget this before the next installment of the remake(sequel?) comes out in a few years. I'm just curious since Square hosed with the continuity and the rest might not happen at all? Or it might happen a different way?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Also this game basically outright confirms the theory that Marlene is an Ancient on the side of Dyne

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

lezard_valeth posted:

Also this game basically outright confirms the theory that Marlene is an Ancient on the side of Dyne

I haven't finished the game yet but where did you see this?

Is that why Aerith could see Marlene (or a memory of hers) in the train graveyard?

And is it why, when Aerith and Marlene hug there's a flashback style filter on the screen and that flashback noise but they don't show anything?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, that's how I'd describe my final opinion of this Nomura headed 'REMAKE' of FF7.

I was ready to give this game a 10/10 and immediately start up a second, hard-mode playthrough of the game as a victory lap of what was 90% one of the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had.

23 years ago I wasn't even old enough to appreciate the OG FFVII, though a few years after it's release I did play through it and for myself, and many, many other now 20+ year old gamers, it was etched in my memory as the definitive RPG game and a wonderful, unique story told through arguably the most iconic cast of characters of all time in gaming.

It's 2020, and the so called 'REMAKE' that seemed like a mythical dream we all had that would never be realised, ala Half-Life 3, is finally here.

56 hours in and the game reaches an incredible crescendo of nostalgic boss after boss, massive set pieces that were only polygons interpreted into imagined epic scenes back in 1997, are finally fully realised with glorious graphics and sound.

However, throughout the journey I kept getting a sick feeling in my stomach. These hooded sand-ghosts flying around scenes and influencing the action, I kept trying to interpret this new addition to the narrative, I tried to settle on it just being a device to show the planet trying to direct the heroes on their path, or even Jenova cells deceiving them.

Something just didn't quite sit right though, they looked, and behaved quite like 'Nobodies' in the KH series, a thought which broke the immersion and brought me back to a reality where Tetsuya Nomura was at the helm.

I remember how awful the KH series had become, how much of a let down FFXV was, how convoluted and contrived the plots were, and how cringeworthy the FFVII expanded universe had been (perhaps bar some parts of Crisis Core, though a lot of it was very, very 'anime').

And so, with that sick feeling in my stomach I reached the last few chapter of the game, knowing in the back of my mind that things were about to go off the rails, at least to some extent.

Suffice to say, things were worse than I could have imagined. I don't need to describe the events of the end of this game, but it was truly, truly disappointing, and actually quite saddening, to see what could have been such a celebration and honouring of an all-time classic be corrupted.

After the end credits I found myself quite upset if I'm being honest. It's the same sort of feeling that the final season of GOT gave me, or that feeling when a band you love 'sells out' and starts playing cheap, formulaic pop songs.

There's quite a few thoughts and questions I've been ruminating over, now that I'm starting to digest what's been done in this game.

Why did they call it 'REMAKE' and not advertise it as a completely new story, or even a sequel (I think the events of the game point towards it being more of the latter)? I think I would have not pre-ordered, and would have set my expectations very differently, had this been the case. I suspect money could be the only reason I feel duped as a fan of the original.

Who decided that the story should be drastically changed, and indeed be changed by none other than one of the stinkiest, hack-iest tropes of story telling in time-travel and alternative universes? I suspect Nomura had a big hand in this, given his track record on creating absolute messes of narratives in recent game he's been heavily involved in.

The thought that angers me most is that the original FFVII is a piece of art, it's no longer something should be though of as solely owned by its creators. It's in the hearts of many, many fans, who give the game and story its honoured place as a classic through their fandom and love for it.

The more and more I think about it, I feel like Nomura and co. have little to no respect for the fans that have given their work this love, and perhaps even harbour some contempt for them wanting to see their childhood imagination and memories of the story realised as they deserve to be.

There is a certain arrogance to twisting this world and story to their own whim, as if to say that "this is our world, our characters, what you fans think means nothing to us, we can do what we want with them and you can get f**ked if you disagree".

Perhaps I will come to terms with the fact that there will probably now never be a full and proper remake of this game, keeping the original, impeccable narrative intact, whilst fleshing out the world and characters in a tasteful fashion. The first 90% of this game achieved this goal, just to throw it out in the final hour or so.

Perhaps I'll let it go one day, and try to enjoy the sequel, though I won't hold my breath given how truly awful the new writing at the end of this game was

You were so, so close to perfection, but I suspect egos, pay-checks, and influence are too much a factor at Square-Enix.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Elephant Ambush posted:

I haven't finished the game yet but where did you see this?

Is that why Aerith could see Marlene (or a memory of hers) in the train graveyard?

And is it why, when Aerith and Marlene hug there's a flashback style filter on the screen and that flashback noise but they don't show anything?

It was a small theory in the original based on the ending when Marlene feels holy/the flower girl/the lifestream coming. Advent Children then further reinforced it with her having visions of Aerith.

Remake you have the scenes you pointed out and at the end of the game when Barret says goodbye to Marlene from the outskirts of Midgar, Marlene, currently in Aerith's house, stops on her tracks looks on his direction and says "Daddy..?" kinda like it was said that Aerith was able to knew things before they happened

It would also work to explain in the original Dyne being the only one against Shinra building a reactor in Corel (he is an Ancient and he knows that Mako is the world's lifestream), and would explain where Barret learned about this and the Ancients.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Popoto posted:

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, that's how I'd describe my final opinion of this Nomura headed 'REMAKE' of FF7.

I was ready to give this game a 10/10 and immediately start up a second, hard-mode playthrough of the game as a victory lap of what was 90% one of the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had.

23 years ago I wasn't even old enough to appreciate the OG FFVII, though a few years after it's release I did play through it and for myself, and many, many other now 20+ year old gamers, it was etched in my memory as the definitive RPG game and a wonderful, unique story told through arguably the most iconic cast of characters of all time in gaming.

It's 2020, and the so called 'REMAKE' that seemed like a mythical dream we all had that would never be realised, ala Half-Life 3, is finally here.

56 hours in and the game reaches an incredible crescendo of nostalgic boss after boss, massive set pieces that were only polygons interpreted into imagined epic scenes back in 1997, are finally fully realised with glorious graphics and sound.

However, throughout the journey I kept getting a sick feeling in my stomach. These hooded sand-ghosts flying around scenes and influencing the action, I kept trying to interpret this new addition to the narrative, I tried to settle on it just being a device to show the planet trying to direct the heroes on their path, or even Jenova cells deceiving them.

Something just didn't quite sit right though, they looked, and behaved quite like 'Nobodies' in the KH series, a thought which broke the immersion and brought me back to a reality where Tetsuya Nomura was at the helm.

I remember how awful the KH series had become, how much of a let down FFXV was, how convoluted and contrived the plots were, and how cringeworthy the FFVII expanded universe had been (perhaps bar some parts of Crisis Core, though a lot of it was very, very 'anime').

And so, with that sick feeling in my stomach I reached the last few chapter of the game, knowing in the back of my mind that things were about to go off the rails, at least to some extent.

Suffice to say, things were worse than I could have imagined. I don't need to describe the events of the end of this game, but it was truly, truly disappointing, and actually quite saddening, to see what could have been such a celebration and honouring of an all-time classic be corrupted.

After the end credits I found myself quite upset if I'm being honest. It's the same sort of feeling that the final season of GOT gave me, or that feeling when a band you love 'sells out' and starts playing cheap, formulaic pop songs.

There's quite a few thoughts and questions I've been ruminating over, now that I'm starting to digest what's been done in this game.

Why did they call it 'REMAKE' and not advertise it as a completely new story, or even a sequel (I think the events of the game point towards it being more of the latter)? I think I would have not pre-ordered, and would have set my expectations very differently, had this been the case. I suspect money could be the only reason I feel duped as a fan of the original.

Who decided that the story should be drastically changed, and indeed be changed by none other than one of the stinkiest, hack-iest tropes of story telling in time-travel and alternative universes? I suspect Nomura had a big hand in this, given his track record on creating absolute messes of narratives in recent game he's been heavily involved in.

The thought that angers me most is that the original FFVII is a piece of art, it's no longer something should be though of as solely owned by its creators. It's in the hearts of many, many fans, who give the game and story its honoured place as a classic through their fandom and love for it.

The more and more I think about it, I feel like Nomura and co. have little to no respect for the fans that have given their work this love, and perhaps even harbour some contempt for them wanting to see their childhood imagination and memories of the story realised as they deserve to be.

There is a certain arrogance to twisting this world and story to their own whim, as if to say that "this is our world, our characters, what you fans think means nothing to us, we can do what we want with them and you can get f**ked if you disagree".

Perhaps I will come to terms with the fact that there will probably now never be a full and proper remake of this game, keeping the original, impeccable narrative intact, whilst fleshing out the world and characters in a tasteful fashion. The first 90% of this game achieved this goal, just to throw it out in the final hour or so.

Perhaps I'll let it go one day, and try to enjoy the sequel, though I won't hold my breath given how truly awful the new writing at the end of this game was

You were so, so close to perfection, but I suspect egos, pay-checks, and influence are too much a factor at Square-Enix.

source your quotes

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DeathSandwich posted:

Aerith explicitly states that she had been seeing them for a while, presumably whatever timeline/destiny fuckery is going on, it's centered around her first and foremost and it's only spreading to everyone else as things start butterfly-effecting out. Which gives more prescience to the Seven Seconds conversation that happens after they kill destiny being pretty explicitly about saving Aerith. Fate was pushing everyone in their respective directions, but it started first and more directly with fate making sure Aerith is always in the right place at the right time to give her knowledge and to make the larger plot kick off in force.

I actually love that whole whispers plot because it also plays as a pretty fourth-wall breaking piss-take on the sorts of people who were inevitably going to throw themselves into a frothing rage because the plot wasn't 100% true to the base game's canon. It's a meta-as-gently caress way to play up authorial-intent and pretty explicitly telling the fans not to expect a 100% true to base game translation. What better way of pre-emptively telling the spoil-sports to piss off about their chunky legoman rpg from twenty years ago than to have the characters have a climactic anime fight with the gestalt concept of story canon.

Related to the above - As a fun thought experiment. Go back to any of the cutscenes the whispers are in and imagine each individual whisper is voiced by a neckbeard going "Well, Actually...." and "... But the canon dictates", ect ect. It actually really good for a laugh.

owning the fanboys by overriding the interesting character driven story with stupid anime bullshit about FATE AND DESTINY that has always sucked in every jrpg

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm already seeing people threatening to kill themselves over Square "Wasting 15 years of my life." So whenever I get in a discussion with someone over how the Whispers weren't needed and they shoulda just done what they wanted to without the meta-commentary of the whispers and I'm like...

"You're too sane to have this discussion."

For the record I agree in that I'd have loved the game to just be new and unique and not use the Whispers, but like... yeah.

Mantis42 posted:

owning the fanboys by overriding the interesting character driven story with stupid anime bullshit about FATE AND DESTINY that has always sucked in every jrpg

FFVII has always been "Stupid anime bullshit" and you're a lunatic if you don't believe it to be such. Also, this loving game is way more character-driven than FF7 original. There is WAY MORE about the characters, their interactions and their relationships here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The entire Whispers thing is them destroying the idea of a set plot which in turn allows for more character-driven stuff because you're not longer assured that every story will have the exact same outcome it did in 1997.

They even give an example of it in-game with Wedge whose survival is a very small part of things but takes the story in slightly different directions which add a tension to the narrative that wouldn't be there otherwise.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rageaholic posted:

I finished this last night after ~33 hours played. I loved it! But the ending was pretty confusing for me. I only played a couple hours of the original like 20 years ago, so I didn't know what the hell was going on. It's become a little clearer after watching ending explained videos on YouTube though.

But could someone give me a spoiler summary of what happens in the rest of the original after leaving Midgar? From what I've heard, you leave Midgar in the original after only a handful of hours and it's a 3-disc game so I'm assuming there's a lot more story to go.

I'll probably forget this before the next installment of the remake(sequel?) comes out in a few years. I'm just curious since Square hosed with the continuity and the rest might not happen at all? Or it might happen a different way?

Well, the remake ends with you killing the gestalt personification of story canon itself, which was uhhh.... not in the original. Everything whisper related is not in the original game.

To catch you up on the core of the FF7 original: Midgar is roughly 1/5th or 1/6th of the main game at least in terms of length/content.

Disk 1:
-After leaving Midgar in the first, most of the rest of the first disk consists of chasing Sephiroth almost completely around the world. -
-Showing up just one step behind him. His motivation isn't terribly clear on the onset but as more time goes by it becomes clear that he's looking for something call the black materia which can harbor the end of the world
-At various points in their trip, the gang is joined by a hyperactive Wutai ninja who backstabs you, a talking fortune telling cat robot riding a giant mog plushie, an emo frankenstein warewolf with a sniper rifle, and a degenerate wife beating astronaut. Yes I am 100% serious.
-The party goes to a temple to find the Black Materia, only to find out the temple *is* the black materia and to MAGIC it turns out that someone has to sacrifice themselves to turn the temple into the usable form of the black materia. Said robot cat above has a poignant emotional sacrifice scene as he collapses the temple onto himself only to have that emotional impact taken away 30 seconds later when a completely identical robot cat riding a mog plushie just shows up again, fresh from the robot cat riding a giant mog plushie store
-Now holding the black materia, the party's goal is to seal it away so Sephiroth can't get to it but whoops, Cloud goes cu-cu crazy because Jenova can influence him. His conscience disassociates from his body and he winds up attacking and almost killing Aerith. He goes unconscious and Aerith vanishes
-Cloud wakes up with the rest of the party and tries to find Aerith, who's gone to the city of the ancients.
-Gang gets to the City of the ancients pretty uneventfully. It's abandoned and taken over by monsters. In the basement the gang finds Aerith right before Sephiroth stabs and kills her and her 'useless' holy materia bounces into an underground lake below. Queue a fight with Jenova, Disk ends with a funeral for Aerith and a burial in an underground lake.

Disk 2:
-Gang follows Sephiroth to the northern edge of the continent, complete with snowboarding minigame
-In the northern edge of the continent there's a crater from where Jenova's previous clash with the Ancients happened that almost wiped out the planet
-The closer they get to the northern crater, the less Okay Cloud gets. Jenova puts more influence on him, and through trickery he ultimately gives the Black Materia to Sephiroth (oops)
-Shinra is here too because reasons
-Sephiroth, having everything he needs, kick starts the apocalypse, the crater collapses. Cloud falls into a sinkhole and goes missing, and everyone else gets evacuated with Shinra
-Perspective for the game for the time being switches to Tifa, who wakes up in a Shinra city with Barrett and they are going to go on trial and executed for terrorism (oops)
-Gang escapes, hijacking an airship on their way out.
-As the gang gets out, it turns out there's a GIANT FUCKOFF METEOR in the sky, that's ultimately going to kill everyone if nothing is done
-There's an impenetrable barrier keeping anyone from getting back into the crater where Jenova and Sephiroth await the end of the world
-Shinra has a plan to use giant impossibly rare large materia clusters to turn it into a weapon to blow up meteor, this plan is stupid so the gang decides to steal it all to try and use it to strike at Jenova directly
-Gang find cloud in a hazy little backwater after having turned up there after an earthquake, he's comatose and zonked out of his head because of high grade mako poisoning
-While this is going on, the earth activates a handful of giant biological weapons, one of which Shinra blows up with a giant fuckoff mako cannon the size of a city and the rest wait around patiently for the player characters to come kill
-In order to 'fix' cloud, Tifa mind melds with him and delves into his psyche to discover that he's been lying to them all game about who he was, that he was never a SOLDIER, he was just a trooper that got caught up in Sephiroth's fall from Shinra grace, scored a cheap shot on the guy, and then got experimented on by Hojo
-His psyche restored, Cloud wakes up and leads the team on a mission to Midgar to hijack the giant fuckoff weapon-killing cannon to blow a hole in the northern crater, which they do effortlessly.
-Gang prepares to go into the northern crater.

Disk 3:
-Pretty much entirely just the final dungeon
-Bad guys die
-Oh no, meteor is still coming
-That holy Checkov's Materia that Aeris had back when we first met her in disk 1 activates and has a Jojo punching match with the meteor
-Brilliant flash of light, Aeris' face smashcuts, fades to black
-Post credits scene of Red and his talking large cat family runs through a canyon, climbs up to a cliffside, revealing the ruins of Midgar, completely overrun with vegetation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I do think it was sort of a problem that right at the very end Aerith suddenly gives a big speech about having the fight Destiny for Grand and Vague reasons and the other characters just sort of go along with it despite Destiny quite explicitly having saved their lives many times shortly beforehand. Like, I think it might've benefitted from being a little more explicit there and mentioning how Destiny tried to kill Biggs and Jessie and drop the plate and stuff, which the characters presumably didn't know. It felt like the game was talking to the players and not the characters, which is disappointing in such a character driven story.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Popoto posted:

Someone please get Fragmaster to record himself reading this out loud. I will pay money. Or donate to charity.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thank you! What about Cloud's origins? Is that explained in the original? I know Hojo said he's not a SOLDIER but isn't able to elaborate because of the Whispers.

And Sephiroth? Who/what is he? Early on in the Remake, he's said to be a war hero/SOLDIER first class who died 5 years ago. But he obviously seems to be more than that. Is that explained in the original?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Someone please get Fragmaster to record himself reading this out loud. I will pay money. Or donate to charity.

Get Lowtax to read it from his 'death threats from the internet' style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZODtmaHIQng

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Thank you! What about Cloud's origins? Is that explained in the original? I know Hojo said he's not a SOLDIER but isn't able to elaborate because of the Whispers.

And Sephiroth? Who/what is he? Early on in the Remake, he's said to be a war hero/SOLDIER first class who died 5 years ago. But he obviously seems to be more than that. Is that explained in the original?
Short answer is, no one is who they say they are.

Medium answer is, Cloud is some nobody that got a brain booboo and thinks he's Zack Fair, actual SOLDIER and Aerith's boyfriend. Sephiroth is a science experiment to see what happens when you inject Jenova's (who is actually a space alien) cells into a human. Also they inject them in Cloud and all the other survivors of the Nibelheim incident, which results in Sephiroth having some control over them and a desire for them to have a Reunion where the real Sephiroth is hanging out (these are the robed guys)

Long answer is me copying and pasting the plot synopsis from the FF wiki

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rageaholic posted:

In the original, Cloud flunked out of the initial screening for SOLDIER 7 years before the game and enlisted as a regular public security goon instead because he was too ashamed of his failure to go back home. 2 years later, he’s assigned as part of the goon squad on a mission to the reactor near his hometown, which is led by Sephiroth and a SOLDIER first-class named Zack Fair, andCloud keeps his mask on the whole time so his friends don’t recognize him. Unbeknownst to everyone involved, the resctor was also Hojo’s first lab and was where JENOVA was contained. A lot of poo poo happens, Sephiroth goes crazy, Burns down the town (killing Cloud and Tifa’s families in the process) Zack gets his rear end kicks fighting Sephiroth, Tifa and cloud get brutally injured, but Cloud uses the last of his strength to sucker-stab sephiroth and throw him into the mako under the reactor.

Hojo drops in, kidnaps Zack and Cloud for experiments, which inadvertently gives Cloud SOLDIER-like physical ability, and they spend four years on the lab before Zack escapes with a now comatose cloud. Zack spends the next few months trying to get to midgar under the Radar and regaling the unconscious Cloud with his life story and dreams of becoming a merc, before Zack is gunned down by a security team at the city limits and Cloud is left for dead. Cloud finally wakes up in a fugue state and, dressed in Zack’s spare uniform and with his sword, wanders into city where Tifa (who had since relocated to Midgar) finds him at the sector seven Train station. this shock fully wakes up Cloud, but due to all the experiments and stress, his psyche is completely hosed, and as a measure of self-repair he unconsciously overwrites the last seven years of his life with a bunch of the life details and experience Zack told him about during their escape and travels, now genuinely convinced that he became a SOLDIER 1st class, came home with sephiroth and fought him before deserting to become a mercenary.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Rageaholic posted:

Well you're gonna have some time before the next part of this game releases so now would be the perfect time to read through Elentor's excellent LP of the original FF7.

https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh wow :stare: So there's definitely a lot more story to tell in the next part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rageaholic posted:

Oh wow :stare: So there's definitely a lot more story to tell in the next part!

do what I'm about to do: buy the original on steam and beat it

i did it last year in preparation for beating this and now im gonna do it again because i'm crazy