Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

VA just got a mandatory shelter in place until June 15th. My fear that gen con might get canceled is slowly rising. :(

edit: poo poo, new page. Uh... GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would imagine they would at least wait through May to see how things progress.

Keep your posts six feet apart.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I just had to cancel my friendconvention and I'm p sad so I'm pinning a lot of emotional hope on GenCon bbyyyyy

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

No skin in the game, but I doubt gencon will happen.

Shelter in place will likely get dropped, but social distancing and bans on large gatherings will be with for a while, I think.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I would not be surprised either way. It certainly depends in part on whether the voluntary-manslaughterer-in-chief whimsically decides to fully open up the deathgates again. If we had a president I would be more confident that this would be under control by summer certainly, but warm weather and subfederal efforts could still make it happen.

But no, I am not going to Pop-Up Gen-Con no matter what, as that sounds so amazingly uninteresting. The downside of me not going to Gen-Con for the gaming.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
If it's canceled we'll just have to get on some service and do shots Wednesday from home and play digital board games or yell over each other in We're Doomed, Blood on the Clocktower, and Avalon. Add in Fiasco and whatever other role playing stuff you all like to do and it will be a good time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well on one hand, Origins is postponed, which is not too promising

On the other hand, Origins is postponed, so clearly there is still some level of confidence that tens of thousands of people will be able to gather to be nerds, just not quite yet in mid-June.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well on one hand, Origins is postponed, which is not too promising

On the other hand, Origins is postponed, so clearly there is still some level of confidence that tens of thousands of people will be able to gather to be nerds, just not quite yet in mid-June.

Somehow they will become even less organized.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I'd be surprised if GenCon happened this year. Best case is postponing until October or something, but I suspect they'll outright cancel.

If I had to speculate (and really, what else could one do?), they're probably waiting for the State/City to mandate their cancellation/postponing for insurance-related reasons. That's just a guess, though. Who can say?

Since 2010 I have never missed a GenCon, so it figures that on my tenth year straight of attending the world would end, haha.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Keep your posts six feet apart.

New thread subtitle!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Spookyelectric posted:

.. .

If I had to speculate (and really, what else could one do?), they're probably waiting for the State/City to mandate their cancellation/postponing for insurance-related reasons. That's just a guess, though. Who can say?

This is almost certainly it. My friends and I put on a wh40k GT that's loosely associated with a scifi con here in KC and while we canceled this year pretty quickly they waited until the mayor's don't gather order extended to cover the date of the con specifically because of insurance.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Spookyelectric posted:

i work with a con in november here in florida, it's this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If they don’t wait, the convention center and hotels could basically bankrupt GenCon with whatever the contracted guaranteed minimums are

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah now that Illinois' governor is talking about banning large gatherings until there is a vaccine I no longer believe there is any chance it will happen, even though yes I am quite aware Illinois is not Indiana. OR IS IT

Meanwhile, my phone's auto-text suggestion for no reason I can understand was "Lion Bridge," so please enjoy me playing this one out with middle-choice autotext:

Lion Bridge to the south of the United States and the United States is a good way to tell you this is the best way to get a bunch of people had to go to the Champer deep underground and then you go under the ocean and crabs sing you a lullaby and then you go under the ocean and crabs sing you a lullaby and then you go under the ocean and crabs sing you a lullaby and then you go under the ocean and crabs sing you a lullaby

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
My group already backed out and cancelled their rooms. Went ahead and got my badge refunded. Super bummed, at first gencon was my little light at the end of the tunnel but turns out this is a long tunnel.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

If people are talking about no large gatherings till a vaccine is ready, GenCon 2021 is in danger.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm not cancelling anything until there's confirmation. Depending on the timing of everything, we may just go to Indy anyway, without Gencon.

Unless there are still restrictions.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm not cancelling anything until there's confirmation. Depending on the timing of everything, we may just go to Indy anyway, without Gencon.

Unless there are still restrictions.

There's stuff in Indy that isn't gencon?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah 2021 is probably not happening either if that becomes the new guideline. But America will have torn itself asunder by then so we will have to fight off neo-warlords with meson cannons by then just to get to the gaming store and will have other problems

I am pretty serious that I am going to Indianapolis anyway even if Gen-Con is cancelled though I may realize this is incredibly stupid by July

Edit: Clanpot Shake, SO MUCH FOOD

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Clanpot Shake posted:

There's stuff in Indy that isn't gencon?

Drum Corps International was going to be the following week, but that's already cancelled since it requires a traveling infrastructure starting mid-May.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Well if they open anything back up when you fuckers come I'll let you know. As it stands now lots of the good local places have gone to carry out, but who knows how long that can keep them in business.

Gen Con is probably waiting for the no gathering rules to hit their time slot so they can get out of whatever contracted costs they'd have to pay otherwise. We already canceled our tickets before they possibly change their cancelation policy.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I had a really cool ARG planned for GenCon this year :(

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Can you use it next year?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's tied to the Roleplayers Guide To Heists, so probably not

But I could probably repurpose a lot of it for the Roleplayer's Guide To Assassination, maybe

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh my god, if this poo poo results in Loughmillers going under, I'm going to flip my poo poo.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Ilor posted:

Oh my god, if this poo poo results in Loughmillers going under, I'm going to flip my poo poo.

Don't you put that curse out into the world.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

isn't the guy who owns loughmillers a trumpster fire?

i know the walls are covered in pro reagan garbage.

i like the place but man, mixed bag.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
If there were a shred of intelligence present in any Trump supporter there is no chance they would worship Reagan, who literally signed the biggest immigration amnesty ever into law and supported somewhat heavily taxing the wealthy. Reagan would basically be a lovely conservative Democrat these days

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Comic Con just got scrapped. Not looking good :(

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Having talked to some industry folks who were planning on debuting new games this year, they have already written off GenCon, though they are hopeful that the delayed Origins might still happen. Seeing as even the most cutthroat right-wing proposals I’ve seen seem to suggest 250+ people gatherings would continue to be banned until after a vaccine is created, even that seems wildly optimistic.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Klungar posted:

Having talked to some industry folks who were planning on debuting new games this year, they have already written off GenCon, though they are hopeful that the delayed Origin might still happen. Seeing as even the most cutthroat right-wing proposals I’ve seen seem to suggest 250+ people gatherings would continue to be banned until after a vaccine is created, even that seems wildly optimistic.

LOL, Origins might happen, but people are PISSED that they rescheduled it before Essen. If it does actually go on, it is gonna be a real sad show.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Ilor posted:

A big part of their business is tied to the Indiana government center across the street so I think they will be ok for now. The stay at home order got extended to May 1st today with them talking of trying to take steps to open some things back up, but I still am doubting Gen Con will happen this year.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Backno posted:

A big part of their business is tied to the Indiana government center across the street so I think they will be ok for now. The stay at home order got extended to May 1st today with them talking of trying to take steps to open some things back up, but I still am doubting Gen Con will happen this year.

They should lean hard on the "Year Without A Gen Con" angle.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Is this the first time GenCon would have missed a year, hypothetically?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Is this the first time GenCon would have missed a year, hypothetically?
According to Nesbit37's timeline on the 50YearsofGaming page, it seems like there were at least 1,967 missed Gen-Cons in the common era alone. But other than that, yes.

Unless you count the 1988/1992 mergers with Origins as not being authentic

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
yeah going by historical context, they didn't have Gencon in 1918-1920 when the last global pandemic hit

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Black Plague really did a number on GenCon but once everyone that had it died, you couldn't really tell a difference in the smell.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm gonna miss y'all lmao

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Dr. Quarex posted:

According to Nesbit37's timeline on the 50YearsofGaming page, it seems like there were at least 1,967 missed Gen-Cons in the common era alone. But other than that, yes.

Unless you count the 1988/1992 mergers with Origins as not being authentic

Okay it's been a few hours and I'm still thinking about this post, this is so loving funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Con or not, I hope they still send badges. I think it'll be fun to have a badge for the convention that never happened. (Sort of like tickets for cancelled concerts or things like that.)

My badge from 2012 is just cardstock; it shouldn't be too big of an expense to print them out for people that want them. (I want them.)

I guess I could buy merch from Offworld Designs, but it's not the same.