Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Bakugo is going to find out and absolutely destroy hawks, and he'll get his heroname "start" named chapter (rather than "bakugo's start" at the end of the fight when he stops himself from taking revenge and gets him thrown to the legal system and disgraced from herodom instead.

(e; It better be Dyna-might)

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shadowlyger posted:

Isn't fire like that in basically every manga not named Fullmetal Alchemist?

Pretty much! It's just confirmation that Hawks having a lot of really bad visible burns means that Dabi absolutely roasted him, because "person has visible fire injuries in a shonen manga" is code for "holy poo poo they got toasted".

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Bakugo is going to find out and absolutely destroy hawks, and he'll get his heroname "start" named chapter (rather than "bakugo's start" at the end of the fight when he stops himself from taking revenge and gets him thrown to the legal system and disgraced from herodom instead.

(e; It better be Dyna-might)

That pun doesn't work in Japanese.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

Mirko dying here woulda kinda sucked after she pulled off the best showing of any top 3 hero since all might was around

She's not top three. (Although Hawks and Endeavor have been putting in some good showings, to be fair.) Mirko's all the way down at number 5.

Of course, the thing about her fifth place position is that, a year ago, she wasn't even in tenth. And she didn't get the big hideout raid boost.

Seems like Mirko's been on a (rip and) tear lately.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Shadowlyger posted:

Isn't fire like that in basically every manga not named Fullmetal Alchemist?

I think Naruto treated fire seriously, but I don't recall.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Flesnolk posted:

That pun doesn't work in Japanese.

neither does one for all and all for one and lock rock and

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You're also trying to imply that a shonen manga wouldn't make something in English to sound cool.

Like, I'm pretty sure people there are familiar with the word "dynamite"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
It's going to be Kacchan.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It does work in Japanese, "Dynamite" is ダイナマイト

All Might is オールマイト

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I still think Ground Zero sounds cooler

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Rhonne posted:

Kablam

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They also speak All Might in essentially english, so you just gotta give it some extra explosionmurder inflection and you're good.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rhonne posted:

It's definitely not. Deku is abstract enough to get away with but Kacchan is just a childish play on Bakugo's first name. It's like if Superman asked everyone to call him 'Clarky' as his superhero name.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I would like Superman a lot more if he were called Clarky.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

kacchan is getting into 'delusional shipper' territory

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think Naruto treated fire seriously, but I don't recall.

Do you remember Giant Fireball Jutsu doing anything ever?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
King Explosion Murder is already a perfect name

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Touche.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

did you forget about the burning black flames that can never be extinguished*

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean this isn't even an anime thing. Firebenders are useless unless offscreen. And the Human Torch doesn't constantly maim people.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Avdol died twice because fire powers taken to the logical conclusion suck to write around.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lightning also tends to very quickly reach a cap in shows that have people throwing it around often. Aside from Avatar and Static Shock, I suppose.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think Railgun does electric powers well, but you can always wave your hands and say some Esper Capital Letter Nouns if you need to bullshit in the Indexverse.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Aside from ... Static Shock, I suppose.

Virgil mostly doesn't have lightning powers, he usually has magnet powers. A flying metal disc, he chucks bars at people, a whole lot of bonking in general.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Lightning also tends to very quickly reach a cap in shows that have people throwing it around often. Aside from Avatar and Static Shock, I suppose.

Abilities tend to scale based on how common they are and how important the characters using them are.

Fire in Avatar was something every mook could do, so it was a mild irritant to most people since getting lit on fire happened every other episode. Meanwhile, lightning was the unique trick for the final villains, so it got to stay devastating, only getting toned down in the sequel show.

It's why Dabi can burn a dozen people alive in seconds when they're nameless mooks, but important characters only get lightly singed.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Funky Valentine posted:

Avdol died twice because fire powers taken to the logical conclusion suck to write around.

I'm bad at the science and *I* was disappointed when he didn't use his fire/heat powers to totally clown on somebody whose stand power was literally making people magnetic.

Seriously, it just never came up. What the heck.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm bad at the science and *I* was disappointed when he didn't use his fire/heat powers to totally clown on somebody whose stand power was literally making people magnetic.

Avdol was basically a prop for that entire fight.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Always seems dumb to me when you have electricity powers not going hand in had magnetism.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

EimiYoshikawa posted:

What's the Magic Curie temperature of a person? Who knows, but the lowest Curie temperature of most common permanent magnets is like 320C. It makes sense not to address it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What's the Magic Curie temperature of a person? Who knows, but the lowest Curie temperature of most common permanent magnets is like 320C. It makes sense not to address it.

What doesn't make sense? Can't be magnetic if you're dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eej posted:

Always seems dumb to me when you have electricity powers not going hand in had magnetism.

But that pathway leads to 60s Magneto, who could basically do anything because "Magnets!"

Flight, mind control, laser-proof forcefields, whatever.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Eej posted:

Railgun is my favorite portrayal of electricity control except for the hacking powers. I don't like the "magnetic forcefield" style of Magneto though.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I don't think every ability needs to be munchinked to hell and back and compleyely wrung out like that to be well-written or interesting. The characters and story are more important.

That said, if you're gonna have a character just stand around and be a prop, and use their power being too strong or hard to write around as an excuse, why give them that power in the first place.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Flesnolk posted:

I don't think every ability needs to be munchinked to hell and back and compleyely wrung out like that to be well-written or interesting. The characters and story are more important.

That said, if you're gonna have a character just stand around and be a prop, and use their power being too strong or hard to write around as an excuse, why give them that power in the first place.

I assume most of the time it's a case of the author coming up with a great idea for a cool fight/power only to realized afterwords that "oh poo poo, I forgot I have to keep this guy around too."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ah, the Fugo dilemma

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Thinking on it Bleach of all things might be the shonen that treated fire most seriously, if only because fire was reserved for Captain Genocide.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rhonne posted:

I assume most of the time it's a case of the author coming up with a great idea for a cool fight/power only to realized afterwords that "oh poo poo, I forgot I have to keep this guy around too."

Index/Railgun figured out a way around this issue. Just have something major happen that puts limits on a broken power.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This current arc is reminding me of the Shinobi World War.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Roth posted:

This current arc is reminding me of the Shinobi World War.

It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon to be making those comparisons. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It will definitely not be as bad or long as the Shinobi World War.