Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Earwicker posted:

i dont think a full on civil order break down would be necessary for local cops to choose to turn a blind eye in certain situations, which cops already have a history of doing

Letting a buddy get off on a DUI is not the same as allowing businesses to be open when your government has ordered them closed. It would be open insubordination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

and to anyone who thinks im "making things up":

where im coming from on this is that donald trump spent two years trying to convince this country to be afraid of a hypothetical caravan of armed and dangerous immigrants ready to storm the country and destroy our values at any moment, and while obviously a lot of people saw the supposed border crisis as the manufactured bullshit it was, enough people took it seriously that it resulted in very real and direct violence

maybe im wrong, i hope i am, but im not just randomly bullshitting im saying this out of fear, his past behavior, and the past behavior of similar leaders

Zero One posted:

Letting a buddy get off on a DUI is not the same as allowing businesses to be open when your government has ordered them closed. It would be open insubordination.

look at police behavior during Prohibition. they turned lots of blind eyes to an entire illegal industry. did people get busted? of course, but the cops also let a shitload of people violate federal law when it was convenient (or they could profit from it)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 14, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chief McHeath posted:

Some states and companies have even shittier wages for "tipped workers" and they make, like, $2.13 an hour.

Yep, I made 2.13 as a server, and even as a delivery driver some places only paid 4 or 5 an hour while I was "on the road"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Prohibition had government leaders in on it too. I'm not talking about cities or states where the elected leaders decide to lift restrictions. That's totally legal (but stupid).

In other news...

https://twitter.com/wesh/status/1249857928166866947?s=21

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

earwicker, i'm confused about what you're trying to say.

it seems like you're worried about trump-driven violence against...businesses who don't reopen? like racist cops are gonna team up with Ammon Bundy to force workers to cook fries at applebees?

if trump says "BACK TO WORK BOYS" then yeah, some red state governors (but not all) are going to end their shelter in place orders. i don't think that's up for debate.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its 6 oclock so the local lady is playing violin for everyone down by the water

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Zero One posted:

Prohibition had government leaders in on it too. I'm not talking about cities or states where the elected leaders decide to lift restrictions. That's totally legal (but stupid).

In other news...

Welcome to the OC.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

friendly 2 da void posted:

earwicker, i'm confused about what you're trying to say.

it seems like you're worried about trump-driven violence against...businesses who don't reopen? like racist cops are gonna team up with Ammon Bundy to force workers to cook fries at applebees?

if trump says "BACK TO WORK BOYS" then yeah, some red state governors (but not all) are going to end their shelter in place orders. i don't think that's up for debate.

sorry im not explaining what im worried about very well, let me try to be more clear

im not afraid of direct violence on businesses, at least not on a wide scale.

im afraid of trump choosing a "reopen" date and if certain states dont want to reopen by that date, he will out pressure on them to do so by making some sort of direct address to the people in those states telling them that they are being oppressed by their Bad State Governments. he would likely make up some epithet like "enemy of the people" as he calls the media. the result would be isolated violence and some of those states caving to his wishes - or at least cave partially, granting allowances to religious groups and certain large corporations to reopen

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 14, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

California has started using nation state terminology so, you know, interesting times

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

California has started using nation state terminology so, you know, interesting times

Gavin Newsom's been doing that since before COVID-19, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow, apparently Corona had their new seltzer all ready to go right now, lol

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fartbox posted:

If you have ever done something that someone knows about on the internet you are now celebrity

I created the superspreaders tag and commissioned the :dice: emote

Bow before me, knave

Tweet about me when I die

Ranidas
Jun 19, 2007
After forcing people in the state of Wisconsin to vote in person (and wait in massive lines in some areas) in an effort to suppress the vote, the GOP incumbent state supreme court judge lost by a decent margin.

So it didn't work, and now we wait to see the size of the uptick in cases in a week or so.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Xibanya posted:

She looked me up and saw that I’d spoken to her colleague yesterday, so she put me on hold for 10 mins, then picked up again to say since I could still talk, I was probably worked up over nothing and to call again in the evening if I was still having trouble breathing.

Don't call back until you're unable to talk is not very reassuring advice, hang in there.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ranidas posted:

After forcing people in the state of Wisconsin to vote in person (and wait in massive lines in some areas) in an effort to suppress the vote, the GOP incumbent state supreme court judge lost by a decent margin.

:bisonyes:

quote:

So it didn't work, and now we wait to see the size of the uptick in cases in a week or so.

Fuuuuck

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

Do you think all the beans, etc are actually grown here? it's mostly grown in poor countries where there's a whole supply chain of poor people with inadequate healthcare who can't socially distance before it even leaves the country on a boat to america, where it has to pass through our ports, warehouses and factories, which are incidentally also all manned by poor people with inadequate healthcare who can't social distance. Of course there will be opportunities for little supply chain disruptions to cascade into major outages. There was basically 0 chance back in January of the economy collapsing, massive unemployment and trillions in republican-backed handouts but here we are, and we're nowhere near the bottom

One of the largest pork processing facilities in the US is closing until further notice just today

We grow massive quantities of beans, grain, corn, etc., so much so that we actually export a lot of it. The US is the world's leading food exporter by a huge margin, and most of that is raw material or products made from beans and grains. We produce so much that we're still a net exporter of food despite also importing such massive quantities of it:

A significant portion of our imports are non-staples: tropical products, livestock, etc. Only 50% is in the broad "horticulture" category, which from the USDA includes: "fruits, vegetables, tree nuts, wine, essential oils, nursery stock, cut flowers, and hops."

The fact of the matter is that we have massive excess capacity to produce and distribute food. Meat manufacturing is slumping due to a drop in demand, demand which will pick back up as people eat through their supplies and begin needing to restock their freezers again.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My last trump post tonight but I’m genuinely nervous about how much poo poo he’s going to gently caress up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cspan/status/1249839612736032768

https://mobile.twitter.com/cspan/status/1249837741711544321

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Trumps about to execute order 66 isnt he

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Reporters are increasingly going to stop giving fucks and actually just start yelling "LIIIIIES" at him

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:

precision posted:

Reporters are increasingly going to stop giving fucks and actually just start yelling "LIIIIIES" at him

Could have just gone with that from day one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zero One posted:

In other news...

Allowing sports to continue without an in person audience sets a good precedent, I think. Keeping things "locked down" even at the current level isn't going to last for a year or 18 months or however long it takes to make a vaccine. Most workplaces are going to open up in one form or another.

Having thousands of spectators cram into a stadium together is hella dangerous right now. Having a couple hundred dudes in the stadium to play and broadcast the game is still a risk, but not nearly as bad a risk as thousands of spectators milling around. At least the players are able to get tested regularly, so they are much better off than most workers.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I feel like the most likely outcome is that trump will tweet something like “America is open for business!!!!!” and then walk it back. He will directly and indirectly cause more people to suffer and die, but it will be in a totally disorganized way.

naem
May 29, 2011

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I feel like the most likely outcome is that trump will tweet something like “America is open for business!!!!!” and then walk it back. He will directly and indirectly cause more people to suffer and die, but it will be in a totally disorganized way.

sadly the best case scenario

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Trumps about to execute order 66 isnt he

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ranidas posted:

This is...extremely excellent. To the extreme.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

The fact of the matter is that we have massive excess capacity to produce and distribute food. Meat manufacturing is slumping due to a drop in demand, demand which will pick back up as people eat through their supplies and begin needing to restock their freezers again.

And every pound of meat requires several pounds of grain, not producing pork is a net gain for total food. No one is going hungry.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

Allowing sports to continue without an in person audience sets a good precedent, I think. Keeping things "locked down" even at the current level isn't going to last for a year or 18 months or however long it takes to make a vaccine. Most workplaces are going to open up in one form or another.

Having thousands of spectators cram into a stadium together is hella dangerous right now. Having a couple hundred dudes in the stadium to play and broadcast the game is still a risk, but not nearly as bad a risk as thousands of spectators milling around. At least the players are able to get tested regularly, so they are much better off than most workers.

WWE isn't "sports".
It's entertainment.

It's in the name, and it's a fixed outcome. It's acting, therefor by this ruling, any entertainment that meets whatever the WWE does to legally be "essential" would need to be allowed, so whatever you could think of. Television, performance arts of all stripes, etc, and those who are questioned about it or stopped now have a good in to legally challenge it and tie up the courts. So...neat.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

We're not locked down enough now to have any measurable effect lmao

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

the players should be happy to travel the country entertaining us right now, playing sports in close proximity to people from other exotic locales, since they are able to get tested regularly, and it's just the flu

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big Beef City posted:

WWE isn't "sports".
It's entertainment.

It's in the name, and it's a fixed outcome. It's acting, therefor by this ruling, any entertainment that meets whatever the WWE does to legally be "essential" would need to be allowed, so whatever you could think of. Television, performance arts of all stripes, etc, and those who are questioned about it or stopped now have a good in to legally challenge it and tie up the courts. So...neat.

Right. And instead of an in-person audience it will all be broadcast on TV or online or PPV.

poverty goat posted:

the players should be happy to travel the country entertaining us right now, playing sports in close proximity to people from other exotic locales, since they are able to get tested regularly, and it's just the flu

Still safer than grocery clerks and bus drivers. :shrug:

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm sure that's some stuff started on 4Chan

What are you talking about? Thats a real article.

Please tell me you aren't so dumb you believe China stopped having people die back in February.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I think the truth about china is unknowable right now, but for sure something is going on. How grave and at what scale, we can't know. Just not massive enough to get notice, maybe its really gone, we will probably know in a decade,

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 14, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Kharmakazy posted:

You are, and worse you are constantly moving the goalposts and basically saying nothing over and over and over again. You say some demonstrably false nonsense, then you say some talking point that is completely unrelated to the subject, and when you are proven wrong you just pivot and say you didn't say what you said.

Is this Trump's parachute account?
did you just drop a bunch of argument phrases youve heard before but dont understand? say hes strawmanning you now. maybe that will work
that the president is able to influence a lot of people regardless of the truth is indisputable

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 14, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I like how it's been months now and there's still dozens of hospitals who are requesting support in making their doctors :krad:

https://gogglesfordocs.com/

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Xibanya posted:

Plague diary, day 9. Indeed a bit of a regression today. Not gonna bother retyping it,

https://twitter.com/manuelaxibanya/status/1249745180258861065?s=21

https://twitter.com/manuelaxibanya/status/1249747409296666626?s=21

The worst of this was between 8am and 12pm. And I was indeed like, caving my chest in involuntarily to breathe. It was about as bad as last Tuesday night. I called the respiratory urgent care clinic and spoke to another nurse there. She didn’t seem very sympathetic, she asked if I had a fever, I did not, asked if I was coughing a lot, I was not. She looked me up and saw that I’d spoken to her colleague yesterday, so she put me on hold for 10 mins, then picked up again to say since I could still talk, I was probably worked up over nothing and to call again in the evening if I was still having trouble breathing. She hung up before I could say goodbye. I feel like under ordinary circumstances whatever I was dealing with might be cause for concern, but, as we know, these are not ordinary circumstances. I think there’s a pretty good chance that they’re completely swamped out there. :smith:

That was probably the last excitement of the day. I’ve been chilling out drinking tea and loving around on the Internet since. My lips and chin are still kinda numb, my chest still hurts, but I’m alive and breathing n poo poo, and I can still talk, so I guess I can’t complain. Haven’t coughed since around noon, no fever, so uh, probably a good sign!

Man this is so scary
You are BRAVE
when this is all over lets make a thread together you and I
I'd love to illustrate or smth

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

shovelbum posted:

We're not locked down enough now to have any measurable effect lmao

This isn’t true, at least not everywhere. NYC has seen a drop in the hospitalization rate, and while the deaths haven’t dropped off, they’ve plateaued somewhat. The lockdowns are absolutely having an effect

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
In minor lockdown news I baked some chocolate chip biscuits for the first time in...10 years? Went ok, but it helps to actually have the exact ingredients and an electric beater. Going to have plenty of time to get better at this baking thing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We made lemon bars. The secret to extra lemony lemon bars is cream of tartar

naem
May 29, 2011

I drank alcohol and typed numbers into a spreadsheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Anyone else really bored by covid 19?