Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Combine your savings with our pancake compressor*

*for the love of god please don't pancake compressor your lungs goons

Meh the pressure regulator attachment is only a few bux more :cheeky:

Ugh page snipe - I'm having to restrain myself from purchasing tools for work right now but I still got a TPMS tool for Chevrolet and some replacement bulbs for my craftsman circuit tester. I went to Lowe's to see if they had replacement bulbs since they own craftsmen tools and they will sell me a new circuit tester but they don't have any replacement bulbs stocked. I found some OTC replacement bulbs on Amazon that look similiar so here's hoping they fit when I get them in the mail!

Orange TPMS relearn tool
This bad boy is slick for relearning TPMS on GM vehicles. Put the vehicle in to tire train mode and walk around clicking this tool against the sidewall by the valve stem and you'll have those sensors learned in no time at all! The Official GM Tool Service wants much more money for this tool but I found it online for quite a bit less than the parts department wanted to charge me.

coupedeville fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/hydraulic-porta-power-ram-quick-coupler/A-p1250008e

hhehhehehheheheeehhehheheheh

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BraveUlysses posted:

speaking of HF my friend found this on their site, lmao

https://www.harborfreight.com/vintage-brass-sextant-66096.html

I'd buy the poo poo out of that, but it'll probably break after the first gale force wind and shipwreck me on some island with hostile natives.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It’s purely decorative. It’s cute though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the reviews are better than the product

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

the reviews are better than the product

I feel "it looks like it would work" describes so many harbor freight tools.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm awaiting the Chicago Pneumatic ventilators.

Chicago Pneumonic.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Elviscat posted:

Chicago Pneumonic.

It’s better here in Canaderp, ours will say Power Fist on the side.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Any recommendations on depinning tools? I know they're not one-size-fits-all, so particularly, I'm looking to de-pin a 2000 Jeep Cherokee PCM, which lead me to this video. The guy lists a version of the tool that's unavailable (on amazon, in video description), and when I looked around, I found them - maybe - on mscdirect.com: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/87089710

I'm not 100% certain, but the sizing I've found on these (especially from the manufacturer) kind of seems to match crimp color codes - yellow is huge, blue is medium, red is small. So I ordered this based on that, and when it got here, it was green and too small. And really flimsy plastic.

I've got this OTC set on order, but I'm not sure it includes the right tool either, and the reviews aren't glowing.

I'd like to have a decent tool and I'm tempted to just buy the snap-on set because this feels like that situation I've been in before where I keep trying to find decent non-pro-level tools and the right answer is just buy snap-on/matco/mac. For whatever reason, though, all three of them have really awful images of these tools, so I'm not even sure that snap-on set includes the right style. I think it's the SGTT6A, but I'm not at all sure. The correct style seems to be a u-shaped channel that fits snugly over a 16/18g wire, as there's a pin that needs to be depressed on each side of the pin.

I do know I don't like those coin-style tools with 6 different tools on each side.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 27, 2020

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
the one used in the video is for a normal size 20 d-sub. the one listed on msc is a size 22 for a high density d-sub

probably neither is exactly correct for whatever mopar uses, but if dude is having luck with a size 20, then you might too.

a size 20 extractor from msc: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/77665099
or from digikey: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cinch-connectivity-solutions-aim-cambridge/40-9865/367-1097-ND/3830306

any red/white should be the same. as you found out, though, some vendors use the same pic for different things.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thank you! Yeah, it bugs me that they did that. They have green ones listed too, and no one on the phone seems to know anything about them.

It kind of looks like Deutsch connector tools would work perfectly, if I could figure out the right size. They appear to be the exact shape that I'm looking for.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think I know the connectors you're talking about, the 3 ones on a 96-01 XJ ECU right? The harness plugs not the ECU itself? Let me go look at a spare harness and see if I can figure out what kind of connector they are. I seem to recall them being discontinued but tooling should still be available.

E: poo poo, zero makers marks on the housings. Checking parts catalogs for close matches...

E2: I'm striking out completely on this one. I can't find them anywhere.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 28, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

I think I know the connectors you're talking about, the 3 ones on a 96-01 XJ ECU right? The harness plugs not the ECU itself? Let me go look at a spare harness and see if I can figure out what kind of connector they are. I seem to recall them being discontinued but tooling should still be available.

E: poo poo, zero makers marks on the housings. Checking parts catalogs for close matches...

E2: I'm striking out completely on this one. I can't find them anywhere.
Those are them, yeah. Thanks for looking :)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

Thank you! Yeah, it bugs me that they did that. They have green ones listed too, and no one on the phone seems to know anything about them.

It kind of looks like Deutsch connector tools would work perfectly, if I could figure out the right size. They appear to be the exact shape that I'm looking for.

Deutsch connectors, if you mean like these ones:

use size 12 contacts and yellow extractors. They actually come with the connector, which is why I have two

If that's what you need, want me to drop you one in the mail?

E: looks like the OD of the contact is about 5/32" or 4.5mm. Extractor is about 3/16" across.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 28, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thank you! I do, and the fact that you use the same style extractor definitely puts me on the right track, but I think that one is too big. The holes in the plug are ~3.25mm / 1/8", and I think that's a size 16 Deutsche contact? That seems to add up from the other direction, because this site seems to say that a size 16 connector will handle ~14-20g wire. The PCM has 14/16/18g wires.

Unless anyone thinks I'm horrifically wrong, I'm going to pull the trigger on this. I'm good with spending $20 to avoid dicking around with plastic tools, and it'll get used.

it would be really nice if they posted dimensional information on their site, but I think this is right

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 28, 2020

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

Thank you! I do, and the fact that you use the same style extractor definitely puts me on the right track, but I think that one is too big. The holes in the plug are ~3.25mm / 1/8", and I think that's a size 16 Deutsche contact? That seems to add up from the other direction, because this site seems to say that a size 16 connector will handle ~14-20g wire. The PCM has 14/16/18g wires.

Unless anyone thinks I'm horrifically wrong, I'm going to pull the trigger on this. I'm good with spending $20 to avoid dicking around with plastic tools, and it'll get used.

it would be really nice if they posted dimensional information on their site, but I think this is right

Yeah, you're right. I re-watched the video, and he's definitely using something bigger than size 20. I saw what I wanted to see last time because of the coloration.

I don't have a Deutsch size 16 extractor on hand, but I do have one for AMP CPC size 16. Works differently (you put the extractor on the non-wire side of the contact to hit the locking tabs) but should be the same size, 'cause the sizes are milspec. It's about 1/8" across.

The concern I'd have with using that extractor is that it's shaped specifically for getting past the rubber seal on a Deutsch connector, and I don't know if that's the right shape or length for this connector. The ones that are just tubular the whole way would be a safer bet, but yeah it might get kinda crappy with repeated use.

If you don't mind spending the money, you can just buy it and see if it works; get the plastic extractor if it doesn't.
Which, by the way, should be this: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/astro-tool-corp/M81969-14-03/M81969-14-03-ND/4951912
And at that point if you're gonna spend the $5 on shipping, might as well get all the smaller sizes

Raluek fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 28, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Raluek posted:

If you don't mind spending the money, you can just buy it and see if it works; get the plastic extractor if it doesn't.
Which, by the way, should be this: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/astro-tool-corp/M81969-14-03/M81969-14-03-ND/4951912
And at that point if you're gonna spend the $5 on shipping, might as well get all the smaller sizes
Order placed, we'll see and I'll report back. I used the blanket shipping charge from Snap-On as an excuse to grab a plug disconnect tool as well, and I'm going to keep those others bookmarked.

Thank you!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

What’s a good tap wrench for an extractor set? Bolt I’m looking at taking out is probably an M4 or M5 I think.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Order placed, we'll see and I'll report back. I used the blanket shipping charge from Snap-On as an excuse to grab a plug disconnect tool as well, and I'm going to keep those others bookmarked.

Thank you!
Slight update: Got the tool, it's the perfect shape, but wrong size (opening it needs to go into is ~3.25mm, the tool is ~4mm across). They do have one smaller size, so I'm going to try that one as well. I called Snap On to try to get measurements, but unfortunately, the guy couldn't provide that info so ... rolling the dice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the best option for a current tester pen?

Amazon suggests this one, any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Non-...184&sr=8-8&th=1

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My go-to is a Klein that I picked up from Home Depot a couple years ago. It does everything I've asked it to, including power right up after sitting unused in a drawer for a year. That one is probably okay.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

What's the best option for a current tester pen?

Amazon suggests this one, any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Non-...184&sr=8-8&th=1

Don't know, but I'm real happy with the cheapest thing you can buy that has Fluke printed on it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EJ332O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'm not one to look for budget safety devices.

You have to get used to how it works. It will beep when it's ready to turn itself off due to inactivity. It's a different beep than detecting voltage, but it still makes you tighten up your sphincter when it's sitting in your pocket and you're near something that could be hot until you realize "oh, it's just telling me it turning itself off".

Also, the term you are looking for is "non contact voltage tester" or "chicken stick".

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Worth saying too, that feature is built into a lot of clamp multimeters as well, and you will inevitably probably want one of those too. I’ve got this one:

Extech MA445 True RMS 400A AC/DC Clamp Meter with NCV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IB4N3YG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_UgpWCbW2tzyQJ

And have been very happy with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Motronic posted:

Don't know, but I'm real happy with the cheapest thing you can buy that has Fluke printed on it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EJ332O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'm not one to look for budget safety devices.

You have to get used to how it works. It will beep when it's ready to turn itself off due to inactivity. It's a different beep than detecting voltage, but it still makes you tighten up your sphincter when it's sitting in your pocket and you're near something that could be hot until you realize "oh, it's just telling me it turning itself off".

Also, the term you are looking for is "non contact voltage tester" or "chicken stick".

Cool, I'll grab that one instead.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you haven't already pulled the trigger, I will say that an integrated flashlight is a *really* nice feature.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have not, I didn't think about that as I have three LED headlamps.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Harbor Freights current test pen works great in my experience: https://www.harborfreight.com/Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester-63919.html I always test it out on a live outlet before using it for real though--it's a good sanity and battery test.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Slight update: Got the tool, it's the perfect shape, but wrong size (opening it needs to go into is ~3.25mm, the tool is ~4mm across). They do have one smaller size, so I'm going to try that one as well. I called Snap On to try to get measurements, but unfortunately, the guy couldn't provide that info so ... rolling the dice.
And, got the smaller one, it's perfect. This is a ton easier than trying to do it with those little plastic things. Part number from Snap-On is SGDTT20/SGDTT20G if anyone needs one. (-G is green, without G is red, tool is the same otherwise.)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Any recommendations on aprons or bags or something I can wear to get more pockets? A huge annoyance is crawling under and needing a wrench size I gambled wrong on, but also having a loose handful of wrenches sucks. What I want are tight pockets like for pens that will hold smaller wrenches, without them falling out as I crawl around or bend over. Next level? A small magnet strip to hold bolts nuts and washers.

I think even a shorty apron is too long and doesn't quite have the pocket needs covered, tool bags are loose. I'm almost just selling myself on a sewing machine at this point to modify an existing shirt or vest. A vest, I realize right now, might be the closest thing. As long as it's snug.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a photo vest or “tactical” vest with molle on it so you could customize pouches. I think an apron might be not ideal if it’s for laying on the ground. There’s a hipster apron/tote bag maker in my city if you’re feeling rich: https://artifactbags.com/collections/aprons I’ve been in the shop a couple times to buy their tote bags as gifts and the dude is pretty cool.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

powderific posted:

Maybe a photo vest or “tactical” vest with molle on it so you could customize pouches. I think an apron might be not ideal if it’s for laying on the ground. There’s a hipster apron/tote bag maker in my city if you’re feeling rich: https://artifactbags.com/collections/aprons I’ve been in the shop a couple times to buy their tote bags as gifts and the dude is pretty cool.

Yeah thats what seems to come up, I'm being cheap right now for what should be obvious reasons but when I feel more comfortable I think tactical is the right keyword. Even just my construction vest might be good, but it's looser than I want. I love the one you linked if I did more standing up work though! Thanks.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I feel like a tactical vest is going to prohibit movement enough to be annoying, if the one I had back in high school for airsoft is any indication. Maybe something like a fishing vest (is that similar to a photo vest?) would be better.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Any recommendations on aprons or bags or something I can wear to get more pockets? A huge annoyance is crawling under and needing a wrench size I gambled wrong on, but also having a loose handful of wrenches sucks. What I want are tight pockets like for pens that will hold smaller wrenches, without them falling out as I crawl around or bend over. Next level? A small magnet strip to hold bolts nuts and washers.

I think even a shorty apron is too long and doesn't quite have the pocket needs covered, tool bags are loose. I'm almost just selling myself on a sewing machine at this point to modify an existing shirt or vest. A vest, I realize right now, might be the closest thing. As long as it's snug.

Magnetic arm/wrist braces exist for holding smaller tools. I wonder if something in that vein could work. Also maybe you just want a low clearance small tray on like roller wheels.

fake edit: threw some keywords at google and got this link - https://www.amazon.com/H-C-Automotive-Portable-multifunctional-separated/dp/B07TB3NZP3

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The solution as always is to "git gud", stop grabbing the wrong wrench :smuggo:

I do the same poo poo all the time :negative:

Most creepers have slots on the sides. I also have a tray for parts and tools I drag around.

The true pro move is to buy all Honda or Toyota or anyone else that is fairly strict about the JIS standard, that way you're only bringing like 6 wrenches/sockets under the car with you.

I really like the idea of a forearm bracer with neodymium strips or dots. However, being a Florida Boy, wearing anything more than absolutely necessary for protection from sun and bugs has to be really worth it when working on poo poo in the summer.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 14, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Wear overalls they usually have an array of pockets on the bib for stuffing poo poo into.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've got something like this that is nice to just pick up and take with you under car/hood etc and doesn't inhibit your mobility. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Steel-Multiple-Drive-Socket-Storage/3381278

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You could also look into tool vests, e.g.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I usually have an adjustable wrench with me all the time and sometimes it's fine to get something off, but if not I at least have a way to grab the size of a bolt and find the matching wrench without the guessing game of 'is it a 10mm? no. 11mm? no. 13mm? ahhh!'

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Have a bunch of 50+ year old bushing to push out of control arms that there are no replacements available for. Worth getting a hydro press or just using a ball joint removing kit? I don't do this a lot but I expect buying a press will still be cheaper than dropping a bunch of old suspension stuff off for a mechanic to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BigPaddy posted:

Have a bunch of 50+ year old bushing to push out of control arms that there are no replacements available for. Worth getting a hydro press or just using a ball joint removing kit? I don't do this a lot but I expect buying a press will still be cheaper than dropping a bunch of old suspension stuff off for a mechanic to do it.

Can you burn them out?