Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
for sure post your address

do you have any allergies? my dad is allergic to shrimp but still likes gumbo cuz he’s super dumb just kidding pops haha. he posts here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

NienNunb posted:

Everyone send me manila envelopes filled with piping hot gumbo in the mail so I can properly judge for myself who's is best

be honest, this is for your gumbo unboxing youtube channel isnt it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

gumboxing

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

What's everyone's Star Dish? You have a big get together happening, you're tasked with cooking something, what do you make? Is it a side, is it the main course, is it dessert????

As much as I love baking bread or stirring up big pots of soups stews and chili's, the food I was put on this earth to cook is burgers. I started making them at 18 while working at a sleazy Jersey Shore motel snack stand. My boss was a bald fat racist Italian man named Tony. He taught me how to make a proper smash burger. I'm now the only person my family trusts to man the burger station at barbecues.

That job was loving excruciatingly stressful and the kitchen was always sweltering and more than once I was spit on by rude New Yorkers because I got their order wrong but I was making a lot of under the table cash that I spent exclusively on weed and comics.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i make a fruit salad with melons, grapes, peanuts and walnuts. it's topped with scrapings from the inside of a coconut shell and then spritzed with pineapple juice for the aroma

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NienNunb posted:

What's everyone's Star Dish? You have a big get together happening, you're tasked with cooking something, what do you make? Is it a side, is it the main course, is it dessert????

As much as I love baking bread or stirring up big pots of soups stews and chili's, the food I was put on this earth to cook is burgers. I started making them at 18 while working at a sleazy Jersey Shore motel snack stand. My boss was a bald fat racist Italian man named Tony. He taught me how to make a proper smash burger. I'm now the only person my family trusts to man the burger station at barbecues.

That job was loving excruciatingly stressful and the kitchen was always sweltering and more than once I was spit on by rude New Yorkers because I got their order wrong but I was making a lot of under the table cash that I spent exclusively on weed and comics.

A really simple Chicken Curry. Not too spicy, but goes nice with sticky rice.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I can make a pretty awesome cheesecake.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Better Call Saul tonight...

Intense as gently caress. I'm just now breathing normally.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Intense as gently caress. I'm just now breathing normally.

What monkeys paw wish did they make to have a show this good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Catching up on it soon, I love this show so much and I'm sad but also glad that they're wrapping it up next season.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 14, 2020

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Catching up on it soon, I love this show so much and I'm said but also glad that they're wrapping it up next season.

Man, your rear end in a top hat is gonna clench so hard once that final segment comes on.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hot BCS takes but it's a very mixed bag for me. Everything having to do with the lawyer side of the show, everything with Jimmy and Kim and Chuck and what have you, that is the certified Good poo poo. Wish the entire show was that.

Everything having to do with Mike and Gus and the crime side of the show is boooooring as gently caress. And it takes up the vast majority of any given episode. I was speed running the show essentially last time I watched it by skipping scene only involving the crime stuff and I was averaging about 18 beautiful minutes per episode.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i stopped watching that show after season 2. I don't really feel like watching more of it, even though it's good. I think this is because of losing my mind in reality after messing around and being "crazay" online too much! i just don't get the urge to continue.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thjere used to be a poster named Chris James, who would tell people i "broke" my mind after vontaze burfict did the fake hit on antonio brown, who faked the hit. I always said that's not the case. and i got pissed bad. But truthfully it was real and i couldn't admit it. i don't know how long i have left to live. hopefully at least 40 years if the time goes okay, or almost no time at all if i spend it suffering. real suffering, not a joke. I don't consider bad sports fandom to be real suffering, or being a dumb rear end suffering or anything like that. i'm talking about If i were to become homeless or anything of that nature.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 14, 2020

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

NienNunb posted:

That's some timing. I was thinking about asking for burger help in this very thread because I plan on making burgs for friends once quarantine lifts. I'm gonna experiment a bunch and see what works best for me, but aside from just loving around with different recipes I don't have a clue what to do. I'd appreciate any advice you feel like dishing out.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The biggest piece of advise I can give is to not mix salt into the meat before cooking. Actually, try not to mix the meat much at all. Or else you'll end up with little meat loafs. Use ripping hot high heat, preferably on a cast iron skillet if you've got one (if you don't, please eventually get one it's among the most important tools in the kitchen).

Honestly watch this video, Lopez-Alt is one of the smartest chefs in the world:

https://youtu.be/Wwgn5k_TzKM

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
you gotta grind your own meat i prefer a nice 5-0 but a 50-50 or boardslide will work in a pinch

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i quit the race tonight

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

NienNunb posted:

The biggest piece of advise I can give is to not mix salt into the meat before cooking. Actually, try not to mix the meat much at all. Or else you'll end up with little meat loafs. Use ripping hot high heat, preferably on a cast iron skillet if you've got one (if you don't, please eventually get one it's among the most important tools in the kitchen).

Honestly watch this video, Lopez-Alt is one of the smartest chefs in the world:

https://youtu.be/Wwgn5k_TzKM

I just watched a few of his videos and yeah, he gets the point across fast and clear. Thank you!

WatermelonGun posted:

you gotta grind your own meat i prefer a nice 5-0 but a 50-50 or boardslide will work in a pinch

Due to counter space and cost a meat grinder isn't an option for me.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

yea ok posted:

i quit the race tonight

condolences, Senator :(

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

TTBF posted:

I just watched a few of his videos and yeah, he gets the point across fast and clear. Thank you!

Due to counter space and cost a meat grinder isn't an option for me.

i was making a real dumb skateboarding joke

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lol

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
skateboarding may not be a crime, but that joke certainly is

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

A meat grinder was one of the best gifts I've gotten from my wife and it wasn't that expensive - maybe $100 CAD or just under. I've made all kinds of frankenburgers - beef/pork/venison, beef/lamb, pork/turkey, etc. You can really save money on burgs because you just buy the literal cheapest meat you can find and grind away. Sure a burg is better with better meat but a burg with about-to-expire 50% off stewing beef is just fine too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TTBF posted:

That's some timing. I was thinking about asking for burger help in this very thread because I plan on making burgs for friends once quarantine lifts. I'm gonna experiment a bunch and see what works best for me, but aside from just loving around with different recipes I don't have a clue what to do. I'd appreciate any advice you feel like dishing out.

Biggest lesson I had to learn is that thin patties are better. Some may disagree, and are welcome to their opinion, but they're also wrong :colbert:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I have a meat grinder that just plugs into the front of my kitchenaid and it's great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Better Call Saul is a loving amazing show, everybody. God drat.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the little fucky xcom missions where you can only bring 3 soldiers are fuckeder than hell. especially when the enemy force level is really high and there are lost in the area who only attack you and not the enemy ever. piece of poo poo!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hey, NienNunb and I are going to be dropping a commentary track for this movie in a day or two, and if you're interested in watching it it's available in full on YouTube. You absolutely do not have to watch it, as the commentary will include the audio track so you can listen along if you don't want to see the incredibly raw things in this movie, including a guy fake cutting his own finger off with glass and real pictures of actual wounds caused by the titular edged weapons, but if you do want to watch along, it's right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vix6-afHzMg

This is what they show to cops to convince them everyone they will ever see, especially non-white people, wants to murder them with a hat

I Before E fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 14, 2020

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
and i will be hanging around with an edged weapon in a day or two, looking for trouble

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Thanks to whoever recommended Knives Out. Holy poo poo it's so loving good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It really, really is.

Just one of those movies where every aspect seems to come together perfectly, from casting to acting to writing to (especially) set dressing, everything just works individually to enhance the film as a whole.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Knives Out is so good! Possibly the most fun cinema experience I've had. DONUT HOLE

--

Does anyone remember the name of the film about, I think, a stressed lady journalist that came out I think in the past five years? Someone in this thread mentioned it as their favourite when everyone was sharing recommendations a month or two ago. I forgot the title and googling Journalist Film isn't helping.

EDIT: CHRISTINE!!! I REMEMBERED IT

Artelier fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 14, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have a really small and cheap $20 hand crank meat grinder and it works absolutely fine for me, and is easy to break down and store until I need it again. I would highly recommend something like that (and its like the first thing that pops up when I do a search on Amazon).

edit: This guy to be exact.
https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Vege...6874235&sr=8-45

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 14, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

What dumbass called it Surviving Edged Weapons and not Knives Out.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
So I made salsa yesterday after lunch. Tried it for dinner and it was all right, but surprisingly lacked kick.

It was 9pm when I bolted upright in my chair, realizing I'd forgotten to put in the jalapenos :sigh:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

hand crank meat grinders are excellent negotiation tools. limb goes in, favorable rate comes out.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I have a really small and cheap $20 hand crank meat grinder and it works absolutely fine for me, and is easy to break down and store until I need it again. I would highly recommend something like that (and its like the first thing that pops up when I do a search on Amazon).

edit: This guy to be exact.
https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Vege...6874235&sr=8-45

How is cleaning? Easy to maintain or takes some elbow grease?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I am Watermelon Dad

Go to your room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TTBF posted:

How is cleaning? Easy to maintain or takes some elbow grease?

It basically unscrews into like 8 parts which are all really easy to clean. You're fine until you forget the order of putting it back together and get annoyed you have to start over.

The only downside I can imagine is in terms of quantity. With that thing you gotta constantly feed relative small (like stew/stir fry sized, although i've done like full chicken tenderloins with no real problem) pieces instead of just throwing whole steaks or a ton uf chunks in and just flipping a switch. And I guess if you were grinding like 50 lbs of meat or something it would start to become tedious and sore. But I use it for burgers for 2-6 people a ton during the summer and the whole setup, grind, cleanup takes less than 10 minutes.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 14, 2020