Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just tested it on my home system and it works obscenely well. I had to set the microphone to +20 dB in the virtual camera software, but otherwise it just works on Zoom and lets me sit on my couch and see a meeting on a 65" screen instead of at a desk on a laptop.

Make sure to bring a power cable. I think it ate about 20% of the battery in as many minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bobfather posted:

Make sure to bring a power cable. I think it ate about 20% of the battery in as many minutes.

NDI is a h264 stream so your phone is recording the camera/audio, encoding it and then sending it over your home wifi. It will take a lot of processing power to pass the feed to your pc, if you plan to use it as a webcam, you are not going to be inceonvenienced much by the power cable once you set it up.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
kind of a weird question, but ages ago I downloaded an app from a burner non-US iTunes account. I've since forgotten the email address tied to that iTunes account, and was wondering if it was possible to sus out that information from the app still installed on my phone.

It seems like it was possible in an older version of desktop iTunes, but Apple has helpfully removed that functionality since then.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

kind of a weird question, but ages ago I downloaded an app from a burner non-US iTunes account. I've since forgotten the email address tied to that iTunes account, and was wondering if it was possible to sus out that information from the app still installed on my phone.

It seems like it was possible in an older version of desktop iTunes, but Apple has helpfully removed that functionality since then.

If you try to restore a backup of your phone that had that app installed it will ask for the password for that account in my experience, and display the email in the process.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nevermind, it works again

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 9, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This may sound an odd question but how do I burn through as much mobile data as possible over the next 4 days?

Basically my mobile company has given all it's customers 300gb of bonus data over the Easter weekend and attached a competition to it. For every gig of data you use you get one entry into the competition to win an ipad pro, 2 pairs of airpod pros and an apple tv 4k.

I've linked my ipad to my phone and I have a youtube livestream on, but what else could I do?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Helith posted:

This may sound an odd question but how do I burn through as much mobile data as possible over the next 4 days?

Basically my mobile company has given all it's customers 300gb of bonus data over the Easter weekend and attached a competition to it. For every gig of data you use you get one entry into the competition to win an ipad pro, 2 pairs of airpod pros and an apple tv 4k.

I've linked my ipad to my phone and I have a youtube livestream on, but what else could I do?

Just jump on some big popular public torrent. (Star Wars 4K BluRay rips dropped recently.)
Not only will you download a few 10s of gigs, but uploads probably count also and you'll upload a shitload.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

delete and reinstall Call of Duty while tethering your phone to a PS4.

Twice. :suicide:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Mister Facetious posted:

delete and reinstall Call of Duty while tethering your phone to a PS4.

Twice. :suicide:

It’s loving ridiculous. Pretty soon it’s gonna have to be the only game on my hard drive if I want to keep it on there

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Right? I used to be so impressed reading about the clever tricks programmers would use to squeeze use out of every last byte of data for old games that had to fit onto a small cartridge, disk or tape. Now it just seems like all of that skill has gone and they're like "gently caress it, it'll be as big as it'll be." I get that games are bigger and more detailed but it's getting ridiculous. Makes me nervous hearing that the upcoming basic PS5 model won't even come with 1TB of storage as standard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Most of the recent bloat comes from needing assets that look good at 4k, textures take up an enormous amount of space.

The other big hog is multi-lingual audio files.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Most of the recent bloat comes from needing assets that look good at 4k, textures take up an enormous amount of space.

The other big hog is multi-lingual audio files.

Also fully rendered videos (that also need to look good in 4K).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What an odd time to encourage people to gamify using data.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

illcendiary posted:

It’s loving ridiculous. Pretty soon it’s gonna have to be the only game on my hard drive if I want to keep it on there

BTW, this is a big thing that's going to change a lot in the next gen; as console SSDs with lunatic read speeds become standard, games are going to stop duplicating assets over hundreds of different files to make loading quicker, so a lot of games are going to shed a lot of gigabytes.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Fedule posted:

BTW, this is a big thing that's going to change a lot in the next gen; as console SSDs with lunatic read speeds become standard, games are going to stop duplicating assets over hundreds of different files to make loading quicker, so a lot of games are going to shed a lot of gigabytes.

I've also seen some folks theorizing that Sony/MS are going to start enforcing rules about optimization/compression/overall game size to prevent the you-can-only-have-one-game-installed effect of ginormous games. I don't know if that'll happen, but I could see them maybe leaning on the worst offenders a bit, especially if they start getting media heat about it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Xbone already uses some granular installation for games (singleplayer and multiplayer, usually), and Sony I believe said they'd do something similar for PS5.

You'd think PC had the same thing by now, especially when it comes to language.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Dave posted:

Networks have a ton of excess capacity right now since everyone is using their WiFi at home instead of mobile data

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 9, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arcsech posted:

I've also seen some folks theorizing that Sony/MS are going to start enforcing rules about optimization/compression/overall game size to prevent the you-can-only-have-one-game-installed effect of ginormous games. I don't know if that'll happen, but I could see them maybe leaning on the worst offenders a bit, especially if they start getting media heat about it.

Next gen Xbox has a new proprietary format to expand memory so having smaller games goes against their licensed memory card sales. Dunno about ps5 but last two gens had user replaceable storage and it was one of the features fans loved the most, so I’m expecting ps5 storage to be a generic m.2 ssd easily swappable.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

SlowBloke posted:

Next gen Xbox has a new proprietary format to expand memory so having smaller games goes against their licensed memory card sales. Dunno about ps5 but last two gens had user replaceable storage and it was one of the features fans loved the most, so I’m expecting ps5 storage to be a generic m.2 ssd easily swappable.
Yeah they announced you can use your own drives. Has to be SSD or m.2 for PS5 games if you go external but all your PS4 games work on old connected HDDs. I think certain m.2 drives will be approved for internal expansion but it's not proprietary.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, for ps5, Sony only said they would need to be validated.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Dave posted:

FCKGW posted:

Networks have a ton of excess capacity right now since everyone is using their WiFi at home instead of mobile data

This is in Australia and we are on lockdown and because it's Easter weekend when normally everybody would be meeting and going out, the message from everywhere is instead 'stay at home'.
This company have always been great to their customers. When the lockdown was first announced I got 60gb bonus data from them for the month to ease the strain on home wifi networks and the nbn as everyone was at home more.

This 300gb expires on Monday night, so they'll be expecting for a bulk of the data to be unused, but they want to encourage people to stay at home and stream movies so they turned it into a competition.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What’s the name of the provider? I’d love to see the marketing on this.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Amaysim.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Helith posted:

This is in Australia and we are on lockdown and because it's Easter weekend when normally everybody would be meeting and going out, the message from everywhere is instead 'stay at home'.
This company have always been great to their customers. When the lockdown was first announced I got 60gb bonus data from them for the month to ease the strain on home wifi networks and the nbn as everyone was at home more.

This 300gb expires on Monday night, so they'll be expecting for a bulk of the data to be unused, but they want to encourage people to stay at home and stream movies so they turned it into a competition.

Okay maybe a stupid question, but aren't cell phone towers hooked into their network by a physical connection? Or do they use microwave or something?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Fedule posted:

This is the big actual thing. Replicated assets for easy seeks eat up a lot of space - Spider-Man Is a 46 gig game and a solid 10-12 gigs of it was the same assets, just repeated hundreds of times because otherwise a 5400rpm hard drive isn’t gonna keep up.

It’s gonna be fun to see the difference in cross-gen game sizes.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Charles posted:

Okay maybe a stupid question, but aren't cell phone towers hooked into their network by a physical connection? Or do they use microwave or something?

They are connected by cable(s). But if a carrier offers both wireless and wired service, their wireless edge and distribution would be largely separate from the wired side, which is getting hammered. I'm not sure otherwise why they would offer free data unless mandated by the government, but for the same reason (give the NBN a break).

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

for future reference, I managed to get a hold of the ipa file from a previous iTunes sync. If you rename the ipa to a zip file and look at the iTunesMetadata.plist file inside, it will have the account email address in it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

for future reference, I managed to get a hold of the ipa file from a previous iTunes sync. If you rename the ipa to a zip file and look at the iTunesMetadata.plist file inside, it will have the account email address in it.

Clever!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

e: sorry wrong thread!

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 11, 2020

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Sleng Teng posted:

I've been getting loads of spam sms texts in the last month or so - is there a good option for filtering those out on iOS? I've been trying out the free malwarebytes app but it's been completely useless so far

It works better if paying. That said, I think Nomorobo does a better job.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’m listening to music on Spotify via my phone airplaying to an old Apple TV and browsing the web.

But the music keeps cutting out when I visit some websites - even if there’s no obviously audible adverts.

Is there anything I can do to stop safari stealing audio focus?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My phone drops audio like that with a Twitter app I use and when I am on chrome. I do not know if it is specific to safari.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Anyone else run into a bug running dark mode where folders on the home screen are the light mode colour? Exceptionally minor thing but it’s noticeable. On an XS on the latest iOS and tried rebooting.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anyone have the "wifi calling on other devices" not stick, and was able to solve it? I can set it, and I get the Verizon webview prompt warning me about 911 location, but then when I back out of the wifi calling screen and come back in, the setting is back to off and it didn't actually affect my other devices.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone have the "wifi calling on other devices" not stick, and was able to solve it? I can set it, and I get the Verizon webview prompt warning me about 911 location, but then when I back out of the wifi calling screen and come back in, the setting is back to off and it didn't actually affect my other devices.

Did you actually set the E911 location on your Verizon account? I know I had to go into my T-Mobile account via either the web portal or the T-Mobile app and set my address before it would activate.

If you did, you may want to call Verizon and see what's up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, Verizon tech support is (866) 892-7957 . At least it was, try that first and if that doesn’t work just dial 611 from your cell.

I depend on WiFi calling at my house, it should just prompt you to turn on WiFi calling; you input your address, save, and then it starts working. Sometimes you have to re check it once to make sure it’s on.

Make sure VOLTE is set to on.

Once it works on the phone, it’ll work on other devices like iPad and Mac when nearby. You would check the “calls on other devices” to make sure setting.

Also, to check: consumer or business account ? Shouldn’t really matter either way, but good to check. I assumed consumer.

From what you described , there’s likely a provisioning issue somewhere with your WiFi calling, so care May have to manually add the code.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 that I've had for three years, would it make sense to buy a new iPhone 8? I need a small and reliable phone. Don't care about camera as long as it has one. Seems like Apple iOS support is much better than Android updates with Samsung.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Howard Phillips posted:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 that I've had for three years, would it make sense to buy a new iPhone 8? I need a small and reliable phone. Don't care about camera as long as it has one. Seems like Apple iOS support is much better than Android updates with Samsung.

credible rumor has it the successor to the 8 will be announced very soon, possibly tomorrow, so no

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah SE2 is probably dropping tomorrow which is rumored to have the 8's body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Two minor things:

1. Anyone with an XR or similar have problems with a volume button sticking? Phone has always been in a case, but for the last week or two Vol - always needs a few clicks before it warms up and works normally. Not the end of the world but slightly annoying.

2. I get a lot of text messages, and if I'm listening to music every single one of them ducks the audio for about 3-4 seconds. Like, I want to be alerted to incoming stuff but it can be more subtle than that. As far as I know the default 'ting' is the shortest thing. This bug anyone else or just me?

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 14, 2020