Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol Crysis 2 absolutely nerfed your from 1, they just dressed it up in a lovely progression system. It was also nothing but a bunch of samey, grey combat arenas and sucked bad. Cry1 owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SCheeseman posted:

If they remove the ability to mess with those settings I will be upset.

no kidding, i cfg edited those in as soon as it finished downloading lol

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BurningCourage posted:

Myself I'm in the same position, I try a lot of the FPS-Looter hybrids but I always bounce off. I can't get on with the Borderlands games and Destiny 2 got overwhelmingly grindy quickly when I tried it around Shadowkeep.

Thus was the appeal of DoomRPG + the handful of compatible mods. I've got it kind-of working now, but the mods aren't working fully for some reason. I do get the wacky new melee attacks that behave differently at least, like having the Saitama one punch, but I can't choose classes!

Doom Eternal just put me on a Doom/Doomclone kick, they're all I've been playing. It's fascinating seeing that Doom and its relatives are just platforms for entire games now, stuff like Golden Souls could easily be a retail product and I'd buy it.

I don't know what it is about them; in theory the formula should be instant gold (the action of a shooter married with the progression of strength and abilities from an RPG), but it just ends up being the worst of both (bland weapons and bullet-sponge enemies).

I think I'm still going to try Destiny 2 a bit more (since I haven't played it since I first installed it), but I imagine I'm going uninstall so I make use of that 105 GB for something else. SW2 I'm going to try and complete eventually, but I have to keep myself from messing around with the photo mode every five minutes.

-

I don't have Doom Eternal yet (hell, I haven't even finished Doom 2016), but I've also been on a Doom kick for the last day or two. Today, I installed Zandronum and joined a Doom2 co-op server (which was extremely chaotic, and not as fun as when I went through HL1 in Sven Co-op).

The Thread posted:

Crysis

I've yet to play Crysis 1, despite picking it up on GOG a while back. Someone suggested altering the cfg files several pages, but I'd have to look to see if they gave specific values.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Max Wilco posted:

I've yet to play Crysis 1, despite picking it up on GOG a while back. Someone suggested altering the cfg files several pages, but I'd have to look to see if they gave specific values.

[game folder]\Game\Config\dif_[difficulty you want to play on].cfg

-- Player Health/Energy/Suit
g_suitCloakEnergyDrainAdjuster = 0
g_suitRecoilEnergyCost = 0
g_suitSpeedEnergyConsumption = 0
g_suitSpeedMult = 1.85

g_suitArmorHealthValue = 200.0
g_playerSuitArmorModeHealthRegenTime = 1
g_playerSuitArmorModeHealthRegenTimeMoving = 2
g_playerSuitHealthRegenTime = 1
g_playerSuitHealthRegenTimeMoving = 2
g_playerSuitHealthRegenDelay = 0.5

g_playerSuitEnergyRechargeTimeArmor = 1
g_playerSuitEnergyRechargeTimeArmorMoving = 2
g_playerSuitEnergyRechargeTime = 1
g_playerSuitEnergyRechargeDelay = 0.5

g_playerHealthValue = 200.0

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

site posted:

g_suitSpeedMult = 1.85

Thanks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Max Wilco posted:

I think I'm still going to try Destiny 2 a bit more (since I haven't played it since I first installed it), but I imagine I'm going uninstall so I make use of that 105 GB for something else. SW2 I'm going to try and complete eventually, but I have to keep myself from messing around with the photo mode every five minutes.
Destiny 2 has much better gunfeel than borderlands and it also doesn't really have bullet spongey enemies, but mostly by the way of enemies being really drat squishy so unless you're super in the wrong place they always go down fast, which is part of what makes the game for the most part pretty easy.

I think you would be much better off playing Doom 2016 and Eternal.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I’m all for making GBS threads on tactical shooters, you do you, but anyone who is saying crysis/warhead is rear end, what is a better tactical shooter? it’s the top of that genre and I’ve yet to play anything that comes close.

haveblue posted:

Welcome to early-2000s game engine design, before threading became mandatory with the appearance of generation 7 consoles and consumer-targeted multicore CPUs.

I don't know what's up with Arma 3, though, it should have no excuse.

iirc this was all intel’s fault. the P4 ran insanely fast and hot and had a bonkers long pipeline that was somewhat mitigated by hyperthreading (hence 2 threads) and that was going to be the way of the world forever. then intel got to 90 nm, looked at their design and realized that electro migration would make p4 architectures hilarious warranty and yield disasters, and saw what AMD was doing with opteron, and thus went over to the core 2 (see also: consoles). That’s fine, but it means that engines from then tend to be rear end on modern multi core platforms (arma included, I am pretty sure there is original opFlashpoint code in that engine)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Destiny 2 has much better gunfeel than borderlands and it also doesn't really have bullet spongey enemies, but mostly by the way of enemies being really drat squishy so unless you're super in the wrong place they always go down fast, which is part of what makes the game for the most part pretty easy.

I think you would be much better off playing Doom 2016 and Eternal.

The problem I had with Destiny 2 (as I did end up uninstalling it) is that I ended up not knowing what the hell to do or where to go. I know you have to talk to a specific character to get into the actual storyline, but everything's buried under side objectives, season challenges, bounties, DLC/paid content, etc. I ran around The Tower for a little bit trying to figure out if there was a place where I could sell my guns in exchange for something else, but I either didn't find it or there isn't an option to do that.

I think it's the same reason why I bounced off of World of Warcraft; once you finish the tutorial, the game just sort of leaves you to your own devices in regards to progressing, but there's umpteen hours worth of stuff you could do, and it's not clear where you should be going or in what order you should be doing it. (Granted, I never played WOW outside of the free starter version). I know this is veering into a 'old man yells at cloud' territory, but with Destiny 2, I was like, "I wanna get cool gear and shoot futuristic shotguns and revolvers at cyborg aliens. Why does this have to be so complicated?" :corsair:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Max Wilco posted:

I don't have Doom Eternal yet (hell, I haven't even finished Doom 2016), but I've also been on a Doom kick for the last day or two. Today, I installed Zandronum and joined a Doom2 co-op server (which was extremely chaotic, and not as fun as when I went through HL1 in Sven Co-op).

Regular rear end Doom in coop mode with endless respawns and item regeneration is dull as gently caress and invariably turns into a mad dash for the exit, bowling through every map way under par time. There's a super wide variety of coop on zandronum. I've been playing through Eviternity with hard doom enemies, 2 lives, no item/ammo respawn with a few dudes in a 4 player server the last few nights and it's a long, slow, methodical crawl just to survive. Lots of communicating, sharing resources, setting up sightlines. It's like Rainbow Six Doom. On the other hand, you can jump into one of the servers running Chillax with Master of Puppets and just run around blowing thousands of monsters away with infinite ammo while other players possess demons and try to run down your lives. Those are two extremes but you've got plenty of wild stuff in the middle.

Keep digging around and try different servers out. Zandronum is like Candyland. It's amazing and there's crazy stuff everywhere with all the sweets you could ever eat but after a while your teeth hurt and you're exhausted and you just want a loving sandwich or some tomato soup, jesus christ, you can't eat candy forever.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I am going to toss out an odd, maybe unpopular opinion, I think Painkiller is better than Half-life 2 and DOOM3. It has good action, interesting levels, a diverse roster of monsters and one of the best arsenals in FPS history. I think DOOM 2016 use of enemies as resource and combat challenges owe a lot to Painkiller.

Edit: I do coincide that the bosses are garbage and the story is awful.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 14, 2020

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

There was a DF on this exact topic, as it happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcYA-H3qpTI

From this, I have seen it done sparingly in modern engines but is proper self shadowing displacement maps something that was lost (for a while) with the change to deferred renders?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Crysis 1 sucked. All the talk about an open level design was bullshit; it's a corridor shooter with slightly wider corridors and the suit powers are implemented in the most boring and un-fun way. Warhead is very marginally better but still not great.

I'd say it half-sucked. It's true people misremember the first game as the 'good one', in reality the good part was limited to a few levels. From memory:

1st and 2nd level: wide corridors
3rd-5th levels: the good, a bit more open levels people remember fondly
6th level: the tank level. Kind of boring
7th level: the alien ship level. A bit boring but I will forgive it because it was so memorable. Even playing years later the graphics are amazing.
8th level-up to the end: wide, aggressively boring corridors.

So yeah, 4 good levels of 11? Crysis 2 and 3 weren't good, but Crysis 1 was also lacking.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 14, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd like to chip in as a person who went into Crysis as unbiased as possible; someone mentioned it on the Steam thread and I knew nothing about it other than a ten second peek over someone's shoulder a decade ago at Uni, and knowing that it crushed PCs back then. Absolutely zippo about the gameplay beyond that shooting from stealth empties your mana bar (what I saw over his shoulder). I fired it up a few weeks ago.

Game is... unspecatular? Attempts at stealth where very binary and not very satisfying, the shooting is so-vanilla-it-hurts, the powers *should* have been great fun, but felt more like aids to reposition for the gunfights. I appreciated the frailty of the player avatar but really, there needs to be more than that. I played only for a few hours, wide beaches or no the game didn't feel sandboxy in the slightest.

There are games from a decade+ ago that still have great gameplay despite their gfx. Crysis I feel sure as heck isn't one of them.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I'm trying to get WhackEd4 running, but it seems to really hate my computer. I try to open it, but it just throws me out with this:

src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:233: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:235: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:237: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:239: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:241: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:243: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:245: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:247: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:249: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "src\whacked4\app.py", line 60, in OnInit
File "src\whacked4\ui\mainwindow.py", line 54, in __init__
File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\statesframe.py", line 63, in __init__
File "src\whacked4\ui\windows.py", line 1942, in __init__
File "src\whacked4\ui\spritepreview.py", line 35, in __init__
wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "strcmp(setlocale(LC_ALL, NULL), "C") == 0" failed at ..\..\src\common\intl.cpp(1579) in wxLocale::GetInfo(): You probably called setlocale() directly instead of using wxLocale and now there is a mismatch between C/C++ and Windows locale.
Things are going to break, please only change locale by creating wxLocale objects to avoid this!
File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\thingsframe.py", line 314, in activate
File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\thingsframe.py", line 352, in update_properties
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'things'
File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\thingsframe.py", line 314, in activate
File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\thingsframe.py", line 352, in update_properties
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'things'

Mind you, this is when I try to open the program for the first time - not loading anything in it at the moment. Is this a common problem for anyone else?

EDIT: Huh, rolling back to a previous version seems to have fixed it for me. Link here. Leaving this here in case anyone else runs into the same problem. Also, it only works when I use the standalone .7z file. The version that comes with its own installer gives me a whole new slew of error messages.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 14, 2020

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

site posted:

g_suitSpeedMult = 1.85

Don't do this btw. It's like playing Doom with godmode on. Utterly boring.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally I find it fun as hell

E: calling it god mode is overstating it quite a bit given that you still can only have 1 power active at a time, this just ensures that you aren't running out of battery constantly

site fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 14, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Games that give you the ability to do awesome poo poo and then restrict or gate off those abilities to the point that you're rarely ever doing awesome poo poo are bad games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

DatonKallandor posted:

Don't do this btw. It's like playing Doom with godmode on. Utterly boring.
Doom is still fun with god mode on

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

People making GBS threads on Crysis must've never put the suit options on the shortcut keys and it shows. :smug:

Not really though, painfully bland game in every way honestly.

I think I made it to the first time you fight the aliens and then dropped it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

SCheeseman posted:

Games that give you the ability to do awesome poo poo and then restrict or gate off those abilities to the point that you're rarely ever doing awesome poo poo are bad games.

Saints Row 4 is one of the few games that really got this right (and D44M and D55M for that matter)

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Tim Thomas posted:

I’m all for making GBS threads on tactical shooters, you do you, but anyone who is saying crysis/warhead is rear end, what is a better tactical shooter? it’s the top of that genre and I’ve yet to play anything that comes close.

:crossarms:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I thought Crysis and Crysis Warhead were OK games, but I agree with the poster who said that it's kinda nothing special? Kinda feels like it was the prototype for games like Far Cry 3/4/5.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I think Crysis Warhead is a good bit better, partially because it doesn't overstay its welcome and you can blow through it in ~4-5 hours.

The train level is great, and I will defend it as the pinnacle of the whole Crysis series.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just announced, of all the goddamn things: Chex Quest HD.

It'll be free and bring additional playable characters and split-screen multiplayer to the party.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Waiting for Chex Quest 2016 with a glory kill system

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

Waiting for Chex Quest 2016 with a glory zorch system

Fixed that for you

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
ZAP and ZORCH. Until it is done.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I mean the entire gimmick of Crysis was that it was so cool you couldn't run it well on anything, back when that was a big thing in PC gaming. Until the advent of raytracing it felt like we had for the most part left that behind many years ago, since it runs counter to selling units and maintaining playerbase.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

treat posted:

Regular rear end Doom in coop mode with endless respawns and item regeneration is dull as gently caress and invariably turns into a mad dash for the exit, bowling through every map way under par time. There's a super wide variety of coop on zandronum. I've been playing through Eviternity with hard doom enemies, 2 lives, no item/ammo respawn with a few dudes in a 4 player server the last few nights and it's a long, slow, methodical crawl just to survive. Lots of communicating, sharing resources, setting up sightlines. It's like Rainbow Six Doom. On the other hand, you can jump into one of the servers running Chillax with Master of Puppets and just run around blowing thousands of monsters away with infinite ammo while other players possess demons and try to run down your lives. Those are two extremes but you've got plenty of wild stuff in the middle.

Keep digging around and try different servers out. Zandronum is like Candyland. It's amazing and there's crazy stuff everywhere with all the sweets you could ever eat but after a while your teeth hurt and you're exhausted and you just want a loving sandwich or some tomato soup, jesus christ, you can't eat candy forever.

For the most part, I was sticking to servers that just required the base game, as I didn't want to download 10GB of custom content. Then again, Doom mods generally tend not to be really huge, so that was probably dumb of me to think. Regardless, I'd want to figure out how to clear out downloaded content later in case I didn't care for it. I also don't know if there's any kind of virus risk involved, either.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 14, 2020

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Max Wilco posted:

For the most part, I was sticking to servers that just required the base game, as I didn't want to download 10GB of custom content. Then again, Doom mods generally tend not to be really huge, so that was probably dumb of me to think. Regardless, I'd want to figure out how to clear out downloaded content later in case I didn't care for it. I also don't know if there's any kind of virus risk involved, either.

If you're using Doomseeker, go to Options - > Configure -> Wadseeker -> General and set a custom folder (apart from where you normally keep all your wads) to dump everything it downloads. You can just delete the whole folder when you're done. Make sure to also set that folder under File Paths. Odamex is the way to go if you want more vanilla Doom but it's pretty hard to come by other players, nobody is playing right now compared to 142 people playing Zandronum and holy poo poo 308 people playing Sonic Robo Blast 2/Sonic Kart.

e; Also viruses aren't really an issue. [TSPG] The Sentinels Playground is the most established server host and they put a bit of effort into blacklisting wads that enable exploits or contain racist content. You'll still run into edgy stuff if you go digging around player servers but it's way better than it used to be in general.

treat fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 14, 2020

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Wild T posted:

Against all the slime Flemoids can conjure, against all the goopyness Bazoik can produce...we shall send unto them only you.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wild T posted:

"In the first age, in the first breakfast, when the shadows first lengthened, one stood. Burned by the embers of the toaster, his soul blistered by the fires of ovens and tainted beyond ascension, he chose the path of perpetual hunger. In his ravenous hatred he found no nutrition; and with growling stomach he scoured the Ralston Plains seeking vengeance against the dark chefs who had wronged him. He wore the crown of General Mills, and those that tasted the bite of his Bootspork named him... the Chex Warrior"

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 14, 2020

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Max Wilco posted:

The problem I had with Destiny 2 (as I did end up uninstalling it) is that I ended up not knowing what the hell to do or where to go. I know you have to talk to a specific character to get into the actual storyline, but everything's buried under side objectives, season challenges, bounties, DLC/paid content, etc. I ran around The Tower for a little bit trying to figure out if there was a place where I could sell my guns in exchange for something else, but I either didn't find it or there isn't an option to do that.

I think it's the same reason why I bounced off of World of Warcraft; once you finish the tutorial, the game just sort of leaves you to your own devices in regards to progressing, but there's umpteen hours worth of stuff you could do, and it's not clear where you should be going or in what order you should be doing it. (Granted, I never played WOW outside of the free starter version). I know this is veering into a 'old man yells at cloud' territory, but with Destiny 2, I was like, "I wanna get cool gear and shoot futuristic shotguns and revolvers at cyborg aliens. Why does this have to be so complicated?" :corsair:

I had fun with Destiny 2 and had my fill up to the end of last season but trust me when I say that the story is absolute nonsense and you weren't missing anything. I don't think Bungie even know what to do with it at this point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I joked earlier about that but now everyone is all in I see. Its a drat good idea shame it would cost untold millions to make.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I thought Crysis and Crysis Warhead were OK games, but I agree with the poster who said that it's kinda nothing special? Kinda feels like it was the prototype for games like Far Cry 3/4/5.

That would be Far Cry Instincts, which is the XBOX-only remake of the first game developed by Ubisoft Montreal. I think I've brought it up dozens of times before but I still want a PC port of this. It's good.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 15, 2020

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Thinking about it now Crysis except for some bits of warhead and the big battle multi wasn't that good for gameplay, I mainly just used it to look at the graphics and make nice forests in the editor. I didn't really like Crysis 2 either but what about 3?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I mean the entire gimmick of Crysis was that it was so cool you couldn't run it well on anything, back when that was a big thing in PC gaming. Until the advent of raytracing it felt like we had for the most part left that behind many years ago, since it runs counter to selling units and maintaining playerbase.

I feel like the progress of game graphics started to really slow down in around 2007 so nobody needed to do regular pc upgrades anymore and crysis was one of the last games that was marketed as something to test your new graphics card on

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

I feel like the progress of game graphics started to really slow down in around 2007 so nobody needed to do regular pc upgrades anymore and crysis was one of the last games that was marketed as something to test your new graphics card on

It was basically this, but also Crysis was a huge huge hog for performance compared to previous graphical jump games so what you needed to upgrade to was a big enough jump, an no other games followed it, that everyone remembers that leap.

Expect a huge push in PC gaming now for drive speed on a related note

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
crysis is cool because mech warrior living legends is badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
So trying doomrpg after seeing topic brought up: Is the uac base suppose to be at the start or the end or in between each stage cause the mod sort of implies that you can only get certain upgrades from the base...

I dont get it... i finished a run with original doom2 maps and the game just ends without ever even going to the base. Did i do something wrong?