Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Sure would suck to be a minority in a balkanized US if you can't flee to California or New York in time.

But hey, as long as the hard apartheid isn't happening in my country, we can just ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

You know what, gently caress it, here you go
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CREC-2006-12-08/html/CREC-2006-12-08-pt1-PgH9160-2.htm

:rolleyes: yeah dude seems like the Republicans really pulled a dirty trick, not only did they pass it in a secret session without any Democrats but they mind controlled the Democrats into praising what a great bipartisan effort this was and personally thanking other Democrats for tenaciously working to get it done!

Another funny bit from those minutes, one rep actually did call for a recorded vote (but was denied). Ah a Democrat right, bravely but futilely striving to slow down the process?

Nope, a republican. Not just any Republican: Mike Pence (R-IN)

Mike Pence fought harder against this than the entire Democratic Party, you can't make this poo poo up lol

welp, guess that settles it.

i know dems are way more progressive now than they were 15 years ago, but that's still an immensely shameful vote. i bet there were fewer dems that voted on Gramm-Leach-Bailey and the bankruptcy bill than this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Fred basically taught his son "Only winners matter. If you're not a winner, you're a loser and utterly worthless." Except he ALSO taught him, more or less "If you're not winning every second of every day of every moment of your life, you're losing, and hence, a loser."

DJT in the model of Ricky Bobby is surprisingly on point.

JacobinPhoney
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Ok so Democrats voted for it

I'm not interested in splitting hairs about your imaginary midnight House sessions where the GOP passed the bad bill by voice vote without any Democrats there and House Democrats just couldn't stop the vote from being recorded. The Democratic Party is one organization, if the Senate voted for it after the GOP pulled an outrageous trick like that then the Democratic Party wanted it to pass

The dancing to avoid admitting Democrats did a bad thing is incredible. But it's also not surprising on some level, after all that's why you have a voice vote on terrible unpopular bills, so every rep can say "oh I would never vote for that, it was all someone else's fault" and people who want to believe will go to any lengths to confabulate a fantasy where that can be true

I already looked up the bill and told you why it couldn't pass without Democratic consent. Voice votes are for bills with an overwhelming majority, if something passed by voice vote a huge majority wanted it or at least didn't care enough about it to put their names to opposing it. It's not on me to go find proof that secret midnight sessions that you made up didn't happen. If you had confidence in your theory you'd show me positive proof, should be easy to find.

Got it: Dems bad, therefore we must let Trump destroy us.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Sure would suck to be a minority in a balkanized US if you can't flee to California or New York in time.

But hey, as long as the hard apartheid isn't happening in my country, we can just ignore it.

We’d be lucky if the white suburbanites and exurbanites of Georgia only go for Jim Crow again. Knowing what I saw in the mountains of North Georgia, I’d personally bet on them going back to full-on chattel slavery.

The memory of riding by a guy with a semi-truck trailer full of confederate flags and the stars and bars proudly displayed on shirts, underwear, handkerchiefs and bikinis is burned forever in my mind. Amongst other awful poo poo (gently caress ROSWELL, GA).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The ammount of coruption in this administration

https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/1249892143994482689

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1249826353643487232

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JacobinPhoney posted:

Got it: Dems bad, therefore we must let Trump destroy us.

No, Democrats should be held accountable for bills they vote for! If we let them vote for bad legislation and then blame it on the gop, they will keep doing it.

This mindset is exactly why it's so difficult to replace bad Dems with better Dems, they have us so trained to react with kneejerk partisanship that we refuse to recognize when they do something bad out of fear that the gop will benefit.

But you know what really benefits the gop? Democrats who vote for Republican legislation.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo pa! The tornado's coming! Who should we call? The cops? The firefighters? The EMTs?

No, son! None of these things can save us now! Call... VINCE MCMAHON. Only by having wrestling here can we be saved!

Our governor is, at best, the second-stupidest man in the world and honestly I'm not sure he's not #1.

God drat to be in a press conference and just nail him to the wall about this, just get with every single reporter beforehand and make sure every question he's going to get for the rest of his loving administration is about the essential nature of pro wrestling to the state.

edit: And then start a religious chudtroversy about how now the state is sponsoring the "demonic" Undertaker and his druids! THEY ARE TEACHING ARE KIDS WITCH CRAFT PAWL

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Djarum posted:

It can be a very big deal. You have the two most important states both in terms of tax revenue but also for most of the economy of the country as a whole. The two main ports for the country are in LA and NYC for example. Something like 90% of all food East of the Mississippi comes through NYC. All goods from China, Japan and Korea come through LA.

Both of these statements are completely, hilariously wrong, FYI.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Actually that is a point. Do any of these churches that go weak at the knees at a glimpse of a Harry Potter book actually complain about this sort of stuff in wrestling? I suspect I know the answer.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Desantis would probably unironicly use an argument along the lines of “sports helped keep the country’s moral up during the darkest days of World War 2” to justify allowing a corrupt has-been pro wrestling league to operate.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Star Man posted:

The events of the last four years coupled with the results of this primary means that effectively all non-immigration activism is going to focus on the local and statewide level with the assumption that the federal government and the courts will continue to be hostile. Real balkanization is not going to happen, but whatever funds northeastern groups can pull together for red states will be for relocation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1250055033460318209

https://twitter.com/JonahDispatch/status/1249890228707438592

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 14, 2020

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Space Gopher posted:

Both of these statements are completely, hilariously wrong, FYI.

Yeah that whole post is basically coastal_elitism.txt. Sure, two of the 5 biggest cities in the US don't exist or matter, absolutely right....

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

he really loves that little line doesnt he.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1250056263746162688

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1250063051182747651

baby piss is up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Actually that is a point. Do any of these churches that go weak at the knees at a glimpse of a Harry Potter book actually complain about this sort of stuff in wrestling? I suspect I know the answer.

some of the crazier ones do

the hardcore bible thumpers frown on any participation in pop culture, if you want entertainment you're supposed to only engage in the insular little world of lovely Christian music and apocalypse movies

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rubio showing a semblance of a spine for now.

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1250053154768662528

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Did anyone post this?

https://twitter.com/njgov/status/1249722810429321217

I'm happy that we're in an era where official government accounts are good at shitposting

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

he probably sorta gets that this is a bridge to far and he is trying to walk that "if trump loses in novemeber i look "sane" " line.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Oh hey, I just learned that Jill Karofsky (new Wisconsin Supreme Court justice) has been an ultrarunner for a decade. Did a trail 50 miler last year!

She did a running podcast interview too:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/ten-junk-miles/e/64529637

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1250067500190089217

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wait isn't Jonah Goldberg a neocon psycho, and even he's dunking on these foofs at (Reason? the Federalist?)

E:
this Jonah Goldberg

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJ Donnie T playing all the hits of the GOP

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It OBVIOUSLY was voter fraud because how else could they have won after we rigged the election so hard?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

is he accusing Wisconsin of cheating.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

For the uninitiated what is ballot harvesting?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is he accusing Wisconsin of cheating.

Naw, of voting incorrectly.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah that whole post is basically coastal_elitism.txt. Sure, two of the 5 biggest cities in the US don't exist or matter, absolutely right....

Ports are important, and they tend to be on the coasts for obvious reasons. Idaho might technically, have a seaport, but it's not a big one. And there's a reason that four of those five biggest cities in the US are on major bodies of water with substantial ports, and the fifth one is a sprawling retirement village without much industry.

But - there are a lot of ports outside of LA and NYC. Most cargo from Asia doesn't go through LA, not all of it even comes into the US through the west coast, and the vast majority of food consumed in the US never goes through any kind of ocean port at all.

Also, the whole point of this is to coordinate shutdowns. And, even though the West Coast states enacted some of the earliest and firmest lockdowns, ports, rail yards, and related infrastructure were considered critical from day one and have continued operating normally. There isn't going to be some grand "open the ports" showdown between the states and feds, because they've stayed open the whole time.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Minorities voting without harassment.

I ended up looking it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballot_harvesting

quote:

Ballot harvesting, also called vote harvesting, is the collecting and submitting of absentee or mail-in voter ballots by volunteers or workers. It occurs in some areas of the U.S. where voting by mail is common, but is illegal in some other states.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

VH4Ever posted:

Curious if Djarum knows that the Port of Houston exists.

Wiki

I dunno it looks like the port of South Louisiana and the Port of Houston are about the same with the later focusing on imports while the former on domestic. I get it is fun to laugh at LA because they are small town idiots, I do I was born there, but swamp rats know the water. Both of those ports appear to do more business than NYC.

Texas does seem to have more ports but I think the point stands that if you don't have the south to handle imports and domestic transport of stuff like oil, things will get messy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What the Republicans did in North Carolina

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

other people pick up your already filled, signed and sealed ballots and drop them off. that's it.

every single time republicans get crushed they turn to it as "evidence" because obviously everyone on earth loves them and jesus cannot fail them so it must be some dirty trick that they lost

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ballot harvesting is when you collect mail-in ballots from people then change them at some point before they make their way to election officials.

It's what that Republican whose election was voided did in North Carolina

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

syntaxrigger posted:

Wiki

I dunno it looks like the port of South Louisiana and the Port of Houston are about the same with the later focusing on imports while the former on domestic. I get it is fun to laugh at LA because they are small town idiots, I do I was born there, but swamp rats know the water. Both of those ports appear to do more business than NYC.

Texas does seem to have more ports but I think the point stands that if you don't have the south to handle imports and domestic transport of stuff like oil, things will get messy.

I'm pretty sure Lake Charles, LA is one of only a few (3?) ports in the country that receives liquid natural gas.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
The US isn't going to split in our lifetime you goofballs. The best case scenario would be Brexit times a million.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

PerniciousKnid posted:

The US isn't going to split in our lifetime you goofballs. The best case scenario would be Brexit times a million.

new engxlit

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Ballot harvesting is when you collect mail-in ballots from people then change them at some point before they make their way to election officials.

It's what that Republican whose election was voided did in North Carolina
I just wanted to point out "ballot harvesting" itself isn't illegal or underhanded, unless you are in a state that doesn't allow it. NC doesn't allow anyone but family members to turn in your ballot for you, so what the republicans did here was illegal, including collecting unsigned or incomplete ballots (and paying for them, in some cases), which isn't supposed to happen during a ballot collection anyway.

If you want to see the one weird trick that republicans hate, look at California ballot harvesting and why it helps minorities and people vote without suppression.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1250075668282576898?s=19

I'm not owned! I'm not owned!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I'd say this man has never read a book in his life, but we know he used to read Mein Kampf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Is he literally comparing the states trying to save the lives of their citizens to mutiny?

This is some “drat the torpedoes” poo poo.