Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Hadlock posted:

I don't know how much DDR2 ram (SIMM/DIMM format specifically) is still being produced, a lot of what's still floating around is probably new old stock, and since they bought it for X, they don't want to sell it for less than X, plus storage costs etc etc

I think DDR2 is still used in SBCs and smart TVs etc but it's soldered onboard, not packaged as DIMM/SIMM and probably not mfg in volume since ~2015-6

That's my guess anyways. I once paid $60 each for 2 x 16MB SIMMs of Mac LC III (circa 1993) RAM; MB not GB, in 2004, so I could install bootlegged A/UX on it

I'm pretty sure its a demand thing. Something(s) out there need this ram and the people who need it are willing to pay. I personally I have bunch of 4GB DD2 modules I bought a long time ago for less money so it has gone up recently. I also just bought 12x4GB of out of production DDR3L laptop memory (for 3 laptops) for $100 so its not just high overall. Something about DDR2 4GB modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I bought some to take some 24" iMacs to 6GB (they could only take a single 4GB combined with a 2GB) and they were like $79.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Mu Zeta posted:

The XPS 13 is $1100 and the standard to beat for a thin and light Windows machine. If I can't get a Macbook Air I'd get that.

You might need to buy a cheap hub because it doesn't have USB-A ports.

Looking at the Dell Korea site, the cheapest model is about 1400 USD. The same model on the US site is under 1000. So Dell is basically screwing us over here for some reason.

Talked to the Macbook guys in their thread and the more I thought about it, Windows is the way to go for me. There is certain software video editing software I will have to use that is Windows only.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I sure as hell rather be in South Korea than here right now

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I was actually back home visiting family in the States right when things started. The first case was announced the day we left Korea, and when we returned things really hit the fan. But then things got much much worse stateside :cry:

I guess my next question is which level of laptop should I actually be looking at? I can get the 13.5" Surface Laptop 3 for around 1650 with the i7, 16GB ram, and 256GB SSD. There's also the i5, 8GB ram version with the 256gb SSD version for about 1350 and a same-spec GalaxyBook Ion for 1300.

What are the big differences I'd be likely to notice between these three laptops?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dang, just caught the review on that g14. Almost there

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

Dang, just caught the review on that g14. Almost there

The price looks really affordable as well since most companies charges piles of money for a 1 TB SDD.

For comparison trying to config a Lenovo X1 would be close to $2000.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the price i dont mind, i just dont have much interest in buying a first gen of a thing with not really any effective competition

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Will be interesting to reviews for how the G15 stacks up against the desktop replacement competition.

Shouldn't be able to display a goatse gif on the G14 be a feature everyone would would want?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

etalian posted:

Will be interesting to reviews for how the G15 stacks up against the desktop replacement competition.

Shouldn't be able to display a goatse gif on the G14 be a feature everyone would would want?

The G15 is going to perform pretty much exactly the same as the G14.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

bull3964 posted:

The G15 is going to perform pretty much exactly the same as the G14.

depends on how they use the increased space, or is it the same chassis or something

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Statutory Ape posted:

depends on how they use the increased space, or is it the same chassis or something

The G14 hasn't really shown signs of thermal limitation in tests. Otherwise having and H rather than HS processor in the G15 isn't going to do much because the HS processors are specifically binned to hit their boost clocks on the lower TDP.

Pretty much the only differentiation of the G15 is a larger and faster screen while paying $50 less. That's about it. You also may get slightly less fan noise.

The G14 is AMD's Halo Ryzen 4000 launch product. Nothing is going to outperform it until we start seeing Gen 1.5 and Gen 2 devices late this year/early next year.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 13, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The G14 hasn't really shown signs of thermal limitation in tests. Otherwise having and H rather than HS processor in the G15 isn't going to do much because the HS processors are specifically binned to hit their boost clocks on the lower TDP.

Pretty much the only differentiation of the G15 is a larger and faster screen while paying $50 less. That's about it. You also may get slightly less fan noise.

The G14 is AMD's Halo Ryzen 4000 launch product. Nothing is going to outperform it until we start seeing Gen 1.5 and Gen 2 devices late this year/early next year.

The Asus G14 does look like a one of kind product especially since no company has ever made a compact gaming laptop with such performance and battery life.

I know there's the Razor Blade stealth but it's much more expensive plus having weaker overall GPU performance.

Capri Sun Two
Jan 22, 2020

I'm looking for a machine to do some of my quantitative analysis work on, and maybe also some photo editing.13-15 inches, ~8gb ram and a halfway decent processor, don't care about the gpu as this will be a work machine. I'd also really like it to support USB-C charging so I dont have to carry different setups across all my devices. I'm looking to spend around $400 if it's possible.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Capri Sun Two posted:

I'm looking for a machine to do some of my quantitative analysis work on, and maybe also some photo editing.13-15 inches, ~8gb ram and a halfway decent processor, don't care about the gpu as this will be a work machine. I'd also really like it to support USB-C charging so I dont have to carry different setups across all my devices. I'm looking to spend around $400 if it's possible.

What software are you using for quantitative analysis, and what software are you using for photo editing?

Capri Sun Two
Jan 22, 2020

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What software are you using for quantitative analysis, and what software are you using for photo editing?
Excel, R, SPSS. Lightroom for photos.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Capri Sun Two posted:

Excel, R, SPSS. Lightroom for photos.

Speaking as someone whose relatively modern Thinkpad with an i7-8550 and 12 GB of RAM still throttles/chugs on Excel and Power BI, I wouldn't recommend a $400 laptop unless your datasets are in 5 figures.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
If I was going to do something very irresponsible by buying one of the new MSI laptops with the 10th gen intel chips (supposedly releasing tomorrow), what would be the quickest way to receive one at this point?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably something like a curbside pickup at Best Buy

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Guys, I know nothing of computers and I want to get my daughter a cheapo laptop for gaming. She mostly just does Minecraft online but I’d like her to do other simple Steam games.

Off the top of your head what should I get her? Just a Walmart special?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I'm looking at upgrading to a gaming/work laptop from the new generation coming out, I like the battery life on the Zeph G14 but I'm looking for a little more power in the graphics department for possible VR, anything I should wait for specifically or is the G14 just "it" for this coming gen?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beerdeer posted:

Guys, I know nothing of computers and I want to get my daughter a cheapo laptop for gaming. She mostly just does Minecraft online but I’d like her to do other simple Steam games.

What’s your budget?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

Refurbished Thinkpad T450?

This one is $170 shipped, ought to run any steam game under $15 at 60fps, no issue at all with minecraft

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T45...wAAAOSwceNacUKP

T460 is even better but the price floor is ~$300 shipped; T470 price floor ~$450

Refurbished thinkpad will probably survive whatever your daughter does to it (drop it, spill a drink on the keyboard, etc)

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib
What's the current opinion about fancy compact laptops? I have an HP Spectre x360 that's treated me alright for 3.5 years or so. But it has a cracked screen and broken USB-C port and I'm wondering if the repair is worth it.

Priority 1 is portability, priority 2 is a good keyboard and trackpad and general build quality. It seems like everyone offers a 10th gen i7 and 16gb RAM -- the faster processor the better, my research demands a lot of number crunching. I don't care about the graphics performance. A pen-capable touch screen is very helpful for lecturing, converting to a tablet is kind of nice but not necessary. I'm happy to pay for quality.

The Surface Laptop 3 looks interesting, as does the new Spectre honestly, although I'm not thrilled with the durability of my current one. But it's hard to distinguish all the options when I can't go to the store to check them out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The latest XPS 13 has pretty much universal praise. Dell seems to constantly improve things here and there with each refresh to the point where nothing is really wrong with it anymore.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
My wife was clearing out a closet and found my old Thinkpad 600 (I mean old, it's like 25 years old). It still *almost* booted up, but the CMOS battery was dead. It actually did boot up one time out of 15 tries, but I couldn't remember any of the passwords for it. I was going to check the hard drive to see if that's where my small fragment of a bitcoin in a wallet was, but my also-quite-old IDE hard drive to USB enclosure doesn't have the power connector for a 2.5" drive.

This has been tales of ancient Thinkpads.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Refurbished Thinkpad T450?

This one is $170 shipped, ought to run any steam game under $15 at 60fps, no issue at all with minecraft

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T45...wAAAOSwceNacUKP

T460 is even better but the price floor is ~$300 shipped; T470 price floor ~$450

Refurbished thinkpad will probably survive whatever your daughter does to it (drop it, spill a drink on the keyboard, etc)

I'm also trying to find a laptop for my eight year old. I think I'd prefer a Windows machine for my familiarity and troubleshooting but a Chromebook could be easier for her to use.

We're trying to spend 200 bucks or less. What kind of differences would there be in that refurbished Lenovo and a newer Chromebook at the $200 amount?

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

The latest XPS 13 has pretty much universal praise. Dell seems to constantly improve things here and there with each refresh to the point where nothing is really wrong with it anymore.

Thanks! Does that apply to the 2-in-1 too? I priced out a normal one and a 2-in-1 with identical specs, as far as I can tell. The 2-in-1 is only €50 more and has a pen-capable touchscreen (as opposed to no touch at all). Seems like a no-brainer unless I'm missing something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lenovo has announced new gaming notebooks based on Ryzen 4000.

Also maxes out at RTX2060. They don't specify, but I would be surprised if it wasn't the 65w variant.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Handsome Rob posted:

Thanks! Does that apply to the 2-in-1 too? I priced out a normal one and a 2-in-1 with identical specs, as far as I can tell. The 2-in-1 is only €50 more and has a pen-capable touchscreen (as opposed to no touch at all). Seems like a no-brainer unless I'm missing something.

I’ve had the 2-in-1 for 6mo and it owns. Major notable downside: completely unupgradable. You can replace the battery with effort (similar to replacing an iPhone battery).

I’m super duper satisfied and love using it for everything.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

me your dad posted:

I'm also trying to find a laptop for my eight year old. I think I'd prefer a Windows machine for my familiarity and troubleshooting but a Chromebook could be easier for her to use.

We're trying to spend 200 bucks or less. What kind of differences would there be in that refurbished Lenovo and a newer Chromebook at the $200 amount?

I think the more important questions are what does she use at school and what does she want to do on it. At that dollar amount there's not going to be a whole lot of different spec wise.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

CFox posted:

I think the more important questions are what does she use at school and what does she want to do on it. At that dollar amount there's not going to be a whole lot of different spec wise.

Just Blackboard at this point, so web apps are the main need.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DNK posted:

I’ve had the 2-in-1 for 6mo and it owns. Major notable downside: completely unupgradable. You can replace the battery with effort (similar to replacing an iPhone battery).

I’m super duper satisfied and love using it for everything.

Yeah, I love mine too (just make sure you get the most recent model since I think the last gen is still circulating.)

One other note is the keyboard can be polarizing since the travel is a bit less than the normal XPS13.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
I’m curious what the threads opinions are of cloud gaming? I tried out GeForce now on my t480 yesterday and was surprised at how well it worked.

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib
Oh, another question, although maybe this is better suited for another thread. Are there Linux distros out there with good support for 2 in 1 laptops? When I bought the x360 a few years ago, I tried a bunch, and nothing felt particularly natural. Convertibles have been around long enough now that there must have been some improvement. I'll keep Windows around to dual boot anyway, but I'd rather use Linux as the main OS and keep Windows as a fallback.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Looking at windows laptops for doing mainly VR development, as well as general development and gaming. Any recommendations? Budget is somewhere under $2,000. Nice to haves: 1. Not super bulky (both weight and size) 2. Not have embarrassing gamer stuff built into it (GAMING GRADE AIR VENT or whatever). Thanks in advance!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bull3964 posted:

Lenovo has announced new gaming notebooks based on Ryzen 4000.

Also maxes out at RTX2060. They don't specify, but I would be surprised if it wasn't the 65w variant.

It is indeed specified as the 65 W variant in the spec sheet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kirtar posted:

It is indeed specified as the 65 W variant in the spec sheet.

Yup.

So yeah, doesn't look like we're getting anything better than 65w RTX2060 for a long time. So, if you want Ryzen 4000, G14 is going to be top dog for a bit.

It seems that AMD worked very specifically on this GPU/CPU pairing and the thermal and power designs of the notebooks are with this in mind.

What's interesting is that it's not billed as a MAX-Q and the clocks aren't quite in line with what you would expect from a MQ design. It seems likely that these are binned 2060s that they are able to squeeze more performance out of with 65w.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 16, 2020

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Hmm That is interesting. I've had my eye on the G14 since the original announcement since it's about the time to cycle to new hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just wonder when the G14 is actually going to be avaliable. It's still listed as "Coming Soon" on best buy's site and not listing that's not a 3rd party on Amazon. I was under the impression that it was going to be released on the 15th.

I mean, I recognize that dates are pretty much scattershot at this point in time due to everything that's going on, but I had assumed it was far enough along in the pipeline that it would have a mostly normal launch and the fact that the NDA went down last week seemed like the launch was imminent.

It's fine though, I shouldn't buy it (at least not now). I'm not going anywhere and I just built a new MiniITX Ryzen 3700x system that just flies so there's no reason to pick up another gaming machine than "ohh, shiny."