Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Barudak posted:

Wolfenstein TNO has some of the worst signposting on where you are supposed to go in an FPS that it feels intentional, like the devs are messing with you. Also pour one out for the playtester who had to prove the achievement for beating it on the hardest difficulty with no deaths or saves unlocked properly.

I'm still missing an achievement that never popped for one of the perks and several came in days late, I'm not convinced they had play testers checking any of these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I'm finally getting around to Wolfenstein 2 and its just so disappointing after TNO and TOB. I don't know how far through the game I am, I think possibly halfway but I just can't wait for it to be over. Was the game well received at the time?

TNC has some great moments IMO, and it's worth playing through, but I dropped the difficulty way down and had to plod through the Sub and New York before I started to enjoy it.

I'm a massive BJ/Anya stan so my opinion may be biased.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

I’m pretty sure they can just use save states like emulators. Or console commands.

They probably did use cheats to help test the achievement, but they would have tried to do it legitimately at least once, probably a few times. The problem with using cheats, or memory hacks, is that they can cause their own bugs (or hide existing bugs) so you can’t rely on them if you want to be certain.

Also, there’ll be QA guys who’ve been playing the game as a job for months. They might find max difficulty/iron man run a challenge, but they’d certainly manage it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Calaveron posted:

I was watching an LP of TNC but bounced because it was boring as hell just watching the guy slowly stealth plod throughout the level and when caught immediately get killed.

Going stealthy is just one of the "playstyles" you can choose (which was probably not a good way to design the game - should've just picked one and done it well) but I went with the dual-wielding approach and I thought the game was fine overall. Yeah the feedback for getting hit is terrible and you die awfully fast, but enemies get mulched into chunky salsa by your pair of machine guns or whatever just as fast so it worked out okay.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Triarii posted:

Going stealthy is just one of the "playstyles" you can choose (which was probably not a good way to design the game - should've just picked one and done it well) but I went with the dual-wielding approach and I thought the game was fine overall. Yeah the feedback for getting hit is terrible and you die awfully fast, but enemies get mulched into chunky salsa by your pair of machine guns or whatever just as fast so it worked out okay.

The guy always dual wielded with the silenced pistol and the smg or the smg and the shotgun and even when armed with a shotgun that just vomited lead at an alarming rate he would die pretty quickly
Also I figured having to stick to every nook and cranny mashing the pick up button to replenish paper thin armor got really obnoxious and tedious

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Calaveron posted:

The guy always dual wielded with the silenced pistol and the smg or the smg and the shotgun and even when armed with a shotgun that just vomited lead at an alarming rate he would die pretty quickly
Also I figured having to stick to every nook and cranny mashing the pick up button to replenish paper thin armor got really obnoxious and tedious

Oh right, that reminds me - I also made an autohotkey script that mashed the interact button for me when I held it. I do that for every game where I'm going to be picking up hundreds of things and it requires a button press for each one.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Got inspired by some recent posts to pick up DKC Tropical Freeze again, and I'm remembering just how much the bosses suck, even from the first world. The problem is, they're all just long strings of patterns that become a slog to sit through over and over until you inevitably gently caress up and miss a cue, which generally means dying fairly quickly and restarting from scratch. All the segments are doable, but not checkpointing after them is just horrible design. DKC bosses have rarely been good, but at least they were generally short, I can't believe how dedicated the devs were to their boss design model when the rest of the game is generally extremely smartly designed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

I’m pretty sure they can just use save states like emulators. Or console commands.

Nope, those introduce other bugs. I think they even talked about this poor QA tester specifically or I might be thinking of another game, but the dude basically just played it all day every day and eventually played a section over and over on a non-iron man console, then played it again on the ironman check console once they felt they had memorized it.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Been playing through the Mass Effect series during lockdown and just started 2, enjoying the much improved graphics, actually runs smoother than the original. I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread before, but Holy hell the pre-rendered cutscenes are awful. I looked it up and turns out they are actually lower res videos than mass effect one, who the hell thought that was a good idea? Can't be file size surely? The rest of the game looks suprisingly modern and hi fidelity, why did they use the super lo res cutscenes for the ship stuff?

Really enjoying the game otherwise but those opening space fight scenes were so blurry I thought something was wrong with the game. Really takes you out of the experience, I wish they'd rendered them in real time or at least made a 1080p version for the pc release, they are utter garbage.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Finished Wolfenstein 2 and it did not get any better haha. There were some cool moments but it was such a mess of a game. Being locked to half health for about half the game was a very poor choice and a very poor attempt at having the plot influence the gameplay. That being said it wouldn't take many tweaks to redeem the series with Wolfenstein 3.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

TNC has some great moments IMO, and it's worth playing through, but I dropped the difficulty way down and had to plod through the Sub and New York before I started to enjoy it.

I'm a massive BJ/Anya stan so my opinion may be biased.

BJ and Anya are a great couple and despite the writing being weak at a few other points (BJ talking to Caroline constantly throughout the start of the game, the Hitler stuff) I thought everything to do with them was good.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've been replaying BOTW since I originally played it on Switch, and it's very nice playing it at 3440x1440, 60 fps, with like 2-3x as fast loading. (Emulator on pc.)

And holy poo poo wow are the 'big' DLCs for it such utter loving garbage.
I remember being pretty annoyed at it when I first played it, but loving hell.

Nintendo is really bad at DLC. The costume sets you can get are kinda neat, but really don't make up for the rest of the DLContent.
But it's just kind of dissapointing how they gate a tiny smidge of new content (or in the case of the Master Sword trial, just an upgrade of an existing weapon.) behind huge unfun slogs.

Just tried my hand at the Champion's Ballad thing.
Oh, it's just directing me to spots on the plateau.
Oh, it's showing me a weapon thing.
Oh, I'm expected to use the weapon thing.
Oh, I'm in a forced one-hit-kill / one-hit-player-kill situation.

And I looked it up, and apparently there's a bunch of shrines and etc gated behind this insanely obnoxious 1-hit-kill scenario.
Why the gently caress is this dependent on a lovely mechanic where I get wiped the moment a bee nicks me?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SubNat posted:

Just tried my hand at the Champion's Ballad thing.
Oh, it's just directing me to spots on the plateau.
Oh, it's showing me a weapon thing.
Oh, I'm expected to use the weapon thing.
Oh, I'm in a forced one-hit-kill / one-hit-player-kill situation.

And I looked it up, and apparently there's a bunch of shrines and etc gated behind this insanely obnoxious 1-hit-kill scenario.
Why the gently caress is this dependent on a lovely mechanic where I get wiped the moment a bee nicks me?

I actually liked that quest a lot because most of it's just finding locations for shrines and other stuff based on general areas and map clues. And the final reward is a blast.

But they do a terrible job explaining that weapon. I was ready to give up on the quest at first, but that weapon's not actually required for anything. I only found out useful in one specific instance, and had to be reminded that it existed because I'd left it in my inventory until I forgot about it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i think you can just cheese the one-hit part by sniping the gently caress out of everything.

trials of the sword sucks rear end tho

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I think that the big failing of Wolfenstein 2 was that the devs clearly had no real plan for it. New Order seemed like it had time to actually be thought through and had a very strong tie of narrative and gameplay.

Wolfenstein 2 felt rushed based on various sketch ideas because "Nazis are bad" became a marketable stance in hellworld. It skipped having a third act of the game and replaced it with the whole bit of replaying old levels to kill the officers. It took you back to space because they had space in the first one so they felt like they had to do it again. If anything shows that they didn't really get it anymore was that they made a Wolfenstein game with Hitler in it but killing him led to a game over.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You really had to grind those enigma codes to get all the missions to take down those commanders. A bit weird, because replaying levels without the narrative was terrible.

If you got them all you had to grind some more of them for a final mission. That mission mostly takes place in bunker with close corridors and no lights. Your only vision comes from your own flashlight, which gives you a narrow point of view. It's some kind of weird tribute to Wolfenstein 3D I guess?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dZfwkvGLrI

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
New Wolfenstein story with new Doom gameplay philosophy would be heavenly.

Let me lend another voice to say that Ring Fit Adventure’s Dreadmill minigame sucks. I have never been able to maintain the same speed as the treadmill, and there’s a whole second of latency between changing speed (or stopping entirely) and your character doing the same.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I feel like the magic system in FFVIIRemake wasn't explained very well because at 9 hours in I just now discovered how to cast more powerful versions of spells. It doesn't help that the game does a poor job of letting you know when a new spell becomes available.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

muscles like this! posted:

I feel like the magic system in FFVIIRemake wasn't explained very well because at 9 hours in I just now discovered how to cast more powerful versions of spells. It doesn't help that the game does a poor job of letting you know when a new spell becomes available.
You must have ignored a hint because one pops up as soon as a more powerful version of a spell is available, and a message appears on screen whenever your Materia levels up.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

The checkpointing in Control stinks, and every single boss fight so far also stinks. The radio antenna bonfire things should be right in front of the boss rooms so I don't have to hear Jesse go "what the gently caress is that" after a loading screen and a jog more than once, you know what it is, it's a spooky child's toy that is probably going to throw rocks at you, or some guy, who is probably going to throw rocks at you

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wait till you get to the penultimate boss a big rock that throws rocks at you

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Karma Tornado posted:

The checkpointing in Control stinks, and every single boss fight so far also stinks. The radio antenna bonfire things should be right in front of the boss rooms so I don't have to hear Jesse go "what the gently caress is that" after a loading screen and a jog more than once, you know what it is, it's a spooky child's toy that is probably going to throw rocks at you, or some guy, who is probably going to throw rocks at you

People call Control a Metroidvania, and I wish it actually was, because both Metroid and Castlevania's worst bosses are leagues better than Control's best.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

New Wolfenstein story with new Doom gameplay philosophy would be heavenly.

Let me lend another voice to say that Ring Fit Adventure’s Dreadmill minigame sucks. I have never been able to maintain the same speed as the treadmill, and there’s a whole second of latency between changing speed (or stopping entirely) and your character doing the same.

I was fine with Dreadmill right up until the bonus mission where you have to get every token. It is murder trying it over and over again.

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

I was fine with Dreadmill right up until the bonus mission where you have to get every token. It is murder trying it over and over again.

The worst part is there's two separate requests, for Normal and Advanced Dreadmill.

And the worst part for me is somehow I did it on both, but I hit a bomb on Advanced. I was SO CLOSE to S rank and it's such a drag trying it over and over again.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

That's funny, I made a similar mistake with the original game decades ago.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One bounty mission in RDR2 has you track down the guy, and it turns out he's with his family and wants to come along quietly. You lasso and hogtie him (there's no mechanic for just tying up someone), start taking him to town, and the mission goes on as it does.

In a game that lets you choose to greet or antagonize every single NPC you come across, and that recognizes if you've been friendly or hostile to certain persistent NPCs and has them reacting accordingly, I was expecting with absolute certainty to be able to just let this guy just go free. Either with an explicit prompt, or hell, even just through the game recognizing that I'm cutting him free or something. At the very least, maybe I could have "greeted" or "antagonized" his wife and son through the usual system. No such luck on either front.

I really hate the posturing Rockstar does about the OPEN WORLD and FREE DECISIONS when it doesn't amount to anything as soon as push comes remotely to shove.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My Lovely Horse posted:

One bounty mission in RDR2 has you track down the guy, and it turns out he's with his family and wants to come along quietly. You lasso and hogtie him (there's no mechanic for just tying up someone), start taking him to town, and the mission goes on as it does.

In a game that lets you choose to greet or antagonize every single NPC you come across, and that recognizes if you've been friendly or hostile to certain persistent NPCs and has them reacting accordingly, I was expecting with absolute certainty to be able to just let this guy just go free. Either with an explicit prompt, or hell, even just through the game recognizing that I'm cutting him free or something. At the very least, maybe I could have "greeted" or "antagonized" his wife and son through the usual system. No such luck on either front.

I really hate the posturing Rockstar does about the OPEN WORLD and FREE DECISIONS when it doesn't amount to anything as soon as push comes remotely to shove.

You can free him, but you have to do it Rockstar's way so your complaint still stands. The mission continues after you turn him in, next time you pass by the gallows. You can kill the lawmen about to hang him and free him yourself for a different ending to his little side story in which Arthur wishes him well and tells him to take care of his family. Demonstration here except for the last bit.

It's a bummer because I can see what they were going for a lot of the time- freedom of choice, to Rockstar, means you have the freedom to play along with their story in a few branching ways. But you still have to play along, and because of that it's never clear if you'll be able to get the outcome you desire. You can't just DO stuff, you have to wait to be given the opportunity to do stuff, and that is a crappy way to do player freedom.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Apr 16, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rockstar's curse is that they will account for maybe 75% of things a player might do, resulting in loads of stories about the cool little touches that hardly anybody will see unless they do very specific things. But they can't account for every decision. and the stuff they didn't think of putting in gets them pilloried for offering the illusion of freedom.

I just put it down to it being a videogame designed by people and not a world simulation designed by a god when something goes against how I think it should be.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Of course. They just always seem to neglect one bit that they obviously considered for the entire rest of the game and made sure you notice.

CJacobs posted:

You can't just DO stuff, you have to wait to be given the opportunity to do stuff, and that is a crappy way to do player freedom.
That's one of the most accurate summaries of the Rockstar Method I've read. Another was "they want you to play along to a script, and they punish you for going off-script, but they never give you the script."

Also ugh that's just like the stranger mission in RDR1 where a guy beats his wife and if you shoot him the mission is cancelled, you have to pay him to leave her alone, then later you find out he killed her, and you shoot him like you were gonna do in the first place.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Rockstar's curse is that they will account for maybe 75% of things a player might do, resulting in loads of stories about the cool little touches that hardly anybody will see unless they do very specific things. But they can't account for every decision. and the stuff they didn't think of putting in gets them pilloried for offering the illusion of freedom.

I just put it down to it being a videogame designed by people and not a world simulation designed by a god when something goes against how I think it should be.
It's simpler than that really, their missions are linear as gently caress and don't offer any player agency, which is completely at odds with their excellent out-of-mission design and is a problem they aren't willing to fix because they love huffing their own narrative farts too much.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You still have the freedom to accidentally pull your gun on people, canceling their storyline

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's simpler than that really, their missions are linear as gently caress and don't offer any player agency, which is completely at odds with their excellent out-of-mission design and is a problem they aren't willing to fix because they love huffing their own narrative farts too much.

I like huffing their narrative farts. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also like huffing their narrative farts but I think I'd like doing so more if the game didn't fail you immediately for going off script in so many cases. "Go back to your friends" popping up on the bottom of the screen is much more friendly than a big rear end game-ending fail message saying "You didn't stay with your friends moron" followed by a loading screen. Like fine, if you want me to go to the right around this big hill then make me do that, but you also gotta trust that I'm willing to put my horse in reverse and do it myself if I accidentally go around to the left instead.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Apr 16, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My issue isn't even really with their narrative farts (though I feel like their self-importance makes it more grating, it's a side issue), it's that other open world games over the last decade or so have proven that you can have relatively open missions that respect player agency while still delivering very strong writing. Witcher 3 is the obvious example, maybe Horizon which I haven't played, but even Saints Row and the Batman games don't (usually) feel quite as obnoxiously constrained.

I could word this better I think, but basically what was understandable in the San Andreas days and even to some extent the GTA4 days is just a bit antiquated now. It's a failing of mission design more than anything, to be honest.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

My favorite example of this problem is a mission in Assassin's Creed 2 (maybe Brotherhood) where you're infiltrating a play and it's like "make your way to the stage" but there's a trigger on the way they expect you to go to the stage that you have to trigger. If you manage to get to the stage another way the quest just does not advance. It's a problem of quest triggers being more narrow than the quest narrative and it's absolutely not a matter of designers designing 75% of possibilities and missing some small ones. There's a RDR2 quest I've heard about where you basically have to fight people to support your friends or something and people would fail it by fighting from the wrong spot (on top of a roof was one example). And it's like, if you want a player to go to a specific place and fight from there, then make them go to that specific place, then have them fight. Don't tell them to fight and then fail them because they didn't go stand where you put the quest trigger. If you tell them to fight then you put the triggers on enemies you need to kill or NPCs you need to keep alive. But they don't, because they want to add little narrative hooks and if you stand on a roof or enter the stage from the other side then the cutscene looks wrong.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That reminds me of when I tried playing the Halo remastered version to tout the Xbone's graphical capabilities, there's a part where you're meant to fight the covenant and kill them before being pulled onto the Truth and Reconciliation by a gravity lift, and you're meant to run to the right to get down to the gravity lift while fighting, and I ran left to try and get them all from behind, which meant that when they all died nothing happened and I was just stuck running along the gravity lift like a moron.

Later I tried it on PC and once again apparently fought in the wrong place and the time the jeep is meant to first be dropped to you never happened.

At this point I learned my lesson and never played Halo again.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
The enemies spawn in waves there and you don't get to continue until you've wiped them all out. I guess the thing dragging it down there are the sometimes unreasonably long pauses between the waves seeming like a game stopping bug?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's what I thought at first, but after running around and not hearing any of their generic battle vocalisations I determined I was in fact, poo poo out of luck. I'm talking to the point where I was running around for 10-15 minutes making sure I hadn't hosed up and missed one.

One time I had missed one, but that only took me like 3 minutes to figure out, since I could hear a grunt sabre-rattling in the far distance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another small Nioh 2 complaint: One of the things I really hoped they'd change from the first is the touchiness of the buttons. It turns out they did not, at all. Many of the face button inputs do different things if you tap vs hold, and the hold time is still WAY too short. I keep getting hit and even dying because I'll hold X for just a microsecond too long and as a result my poor character starts sprinting instead of dodging... and of course since I still let off of X hoping to dodge, they don't go anywhere and get hit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A little thing that bugs me in Breath of the Wild is that you simply can't bare-hand. The animation is funny when you try to pull a non-existent weapon, but maybe sometimes you might wanna try to fist-fight a Bokoblin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
In the original Resident Evil 2, there's an intact window in the west office hallway, which shows up in the remake intact until a zombie smashes through it. In the original RE3, which takes place before RE2, Nemesis smashes through the window to chase Jill, making a big continuity error. It's one of my favorite details of the original RE trilogy because all three games have multiple character campaigns with different paths and endings, that all contradict each other but cohere into a sort of campfire story about what really happened. The window adds to the mythology.

Resident Evil 3 Remake little thing: Jill never goes to the RPD, but Carlos does. The window is intact and nothing happens to it.