Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ika posted:

I want to see the arguments for "The election we sued in court to ensure that it will go ahead is legally invalid". I mean obviously they are going to try but objectively its gonna be some really strange logic.

I assume the argument will go something like "it was the legislature's constitutional right to force a legally invalid election to go ahead, and now it's the court's constitutional duty to annul that legally invalid election"

It could very well work, since this is mostly the same Supreme Court that ruled within the same week (1) a Colorado Civil Rights Commission member saying "man this homophobe is an rear end in a top hat" is textbook religious animus and prevents them from enforcing civil rights laws, and (2) the president saying "yeah I'm doing the Muslim ban because I loving hate Muslims" can't be shown to be relevant to the Muslim ban I mean who knows maybe it's just a coincidence that he did a Muslim ban at the same time he was saying religious animus is the motivation for a Muslim ban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

palpatine looking mother fucker

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Xombie posted:

Fun fact: "Effort" isn't the missing thing from getting Trump and and McConnell on board with a full slate of leftist policy goals. If you had Speaker of the House Ocasio-Cortez, they could both still just completely ignore her. It isn't "risky", it's entirely pointless.

Might as well just stay out of the news cycle entirely and let the RNC / Trump continue to dictate any and all discussion surrounding policy.

Been working great so far.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

FallenGod posted:

Might as well just stay out of the news cycle entirely and let the RNC / Trump continue to dictate any and all discussion surrounding policy.

Been working great so far.

Just because these are the only two options in your head doesn't mean they are the only to options to everyone else.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Xombie posted:

Fun fact: "Effort" isn't the missing thing from getting Trump and and McConnell on board with a full slate of leftist policy goals. If you had Speaker of the House Ocasio-Cortez, they could both still just completely ignore her. It isn't "risky", it's entirely pointless.

Haha and I thought the leftists were supposedly the biggest nothing matters posters

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1250091776376856576

quote:

“I was watching that press briefing yesterday, I’m sure you guys saw it. The president comes out. I mean, this is like something I’ve never seen before. He played a video in the middle of the press conference with a timeline, because the media’s criticizing him for all of his faults.

“And he said, look, you’re the ones that downplayed this risk. And so he played a timeline of what he said back in January, what he said in February, and then what the media was saying in January, what the media was saying in February and into March.

“And it was pretty powerful, a powerful moment. There was a clip in there from Cuomo, there was a clip in there from the governor of California, Gavin Newsom, praising him for his efforts and that they were all working together.” – Ainsley Earhardt.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ika posted:

I want to see the arguments for "The election we sued in court to ensure that it will go ahead is legally invalid". I mean obviously they are going to try but objectively its gonna be some really strange logic.

It's cute that you think it matters what the argument is.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xombie posted:

Just because these are the only two options in your head doesn't mean they are the only to options to everyone else.

true, Pelosi has also made use of the "join the republicans in inciting a round of racial hatred against democrats who suggest we not inflict a vast amount of suffering on the vulnerable for no reason" option in the past

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what a bunch of bootlicks.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i don't have the tweet, but someone said that the republican primary in WI in 2016 had 1.1 million voters, and the dems had 1.0 million voters. for the recent election, there were 700k dems to 500k republicans.

anyone have any ideas why the republican numbers were so low this time?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is downright impressive how Kushner is the source of so many bad ideas.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I hate to even hear him speak now lol jesus christ

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

i don't have the tweet, but someone said that the republican primary in WI in 2016 had 1.1 million voters, and the dems had 1.0 million voters. for the recent election, there were 700k dems to 500k republicans.

why go vote if trump is the only dude on the ballot?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Interweb posted:

mix of probably indies/moderates switching to dem and chuds staying home/thinking it was a shoe in.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Xombie posted:

Good to see that the DNC can sit around doing literally nothing at all and that's acceptable for you.

There's a difference between acknowledging the DNC can't do much without the Senate and just jerking off at home for four years and then acting surprised when no one wants to vote for you.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gotta love Obummer criticizing Republicans about their lust for power after what he just pulled in the DNC.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemming posted:

Haha and I thought the leftists were supposedly the biggest nothing matters posters

that's always been projection

If you say "universal health care won't happen under Democrats because Biden, Pelosi, and Schumer don't want it" you're a white-noise nothing-matters member of the dirtbag left and you probably love Republicans and voted for Trump I bet.

But if you say the same thing with the proper vocabulary, something like "even a unified Democratic trifecta must still operate within the bounds of contemporary political reality to balance the desires of a subfaction of their constituencies vis a vis the need to run strongly-funded campaigns and maintain electability, therefore universal healthcare will not be an immediate goal but a long-term aspiration whereto the arc of history shall ineluctably bend" then you're a wise pragmatic politics knower.

It's really quite simple.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Mr Interweb posted:

There are more people intending to vote for the Democratic candidate this year.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

FallenGod posted:

Good to see that the DNC can sit around doing literally nothing at all and that's acceptable for you.

There's a difference between acknowledging the DNC can't do much without the Senate and just jerking off at home for four years and then acting surprised when no one wants to vote for you.

Again, "not literally instituting M4A when it's impossible to do so" is "literally nothing" only in your head. Posting it doesn't make it a fact.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

mcmagic posted:

It's cute that you think it matters what the argument is.

I don't think it matters - I just want to be able to laugh over here and shake my head at US politics some more :P

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

mcmagic posted:

Gotta love Obummer criticizing Republicans about their lust for power after what he just pulled in the DNC.

Cool we are using lovely Twitter nicknames that Trump supporters use.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait, i think the numbers i posted were way off. just saw this:

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1249900061938638851

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ika posted:

Logic is unnecessary when you have the almighty hammer of 5-4

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

wait, i think the numbers i posted were way off. just saw this:

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1249900061938638851

That is quite the rear end kicking. +125k votes.

Trump is going to lose Wisconsin.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Xombie posted:

Again, "not literally instituting M4A when it's impossible to do so" is "literally nothing" only in your head. Posting it doesn't make it a fact.

You keep interpreting my posts that way because it's more convenient than accepting that the DNC isn't even starting a debate or putting up legislation for the RNC to have to justify making GBS threads on. No attempt at politics or their lofty Sorkin compromises, just sitting around not even trying.

That it isn't in the interests of the donor class for them to try is a separate topic.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

the man cashed in all his remaining political chips in the name of guaranteeing you die bankrupt if you get sick. this has engendered some hostility.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sooo.... what I can already see happening is a bunch of predatory banks which is pretty much all of them going after low income unbanked folks to get them to set up accounts to get their payments faster, but loading those accounts up with lots of front end fine print fees and stealing the payments in the process. Very cool country we live in here.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

FallenGod posted:

You keep interpreting my posts that way because it's more convenient than accepting that the DNC isn't even starting a debate or putting up legislation for the RNC to have to justify making GBS threads on. No attempt at politics or their lofty Sorkin compromises, just sitting around not even trying.

That it isn't in the interests of the donor class for them to try is a separate topic.

This conversation started about the lofty Sorkin compromises they're trying.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/14/21219461/democrats-new-plan-keep-laid-off-workers-insured

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the man cashed in all his remaining political chips in the name of guaranteeing you die bankrupt if you get sick. this has engendered some hostility.

How'd he do that are you taking about Pete because they didn't speak until after he dropped out.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

How'd he do that are you taking about Pete because they didn't speak until after he dropped out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/us/politics/obama-biden-democratic-primary.html

say what you like about the differences between obama and biden: they are united in the belief that democratic party voters should die for them.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Xombie posted:

This conversation started about the lofty Sorkin compromises they're trying.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/14/21219461/democrats-new-plan-keep-laid-off-workers-insured

I was responding to a post about Medicaid, but it's good to see they're focusing on COBRA (lol).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

3 million illegal immigrants voted, the real count was Kelly +676,000 Karofsky negative 2.2 million

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

mcmagic posted:

That map is amazing. In context for you non-Wisconsinites, normally the three counties including Oshkosh, Green Bay, and the one in between are R. The southwest of the state is usually R (in bad years, just the county including Madison and the two directly south go D). The Eau Claire-La Crosse corridor always feels close but often slightly conservative and to see that much blue is interesting.

I assume it was an enthusiasm gap. Especially because a lot of people had to request absentee ballots early enough to be counted.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

finally found a way to spend all that precious precious political capital earned by 8 years of right-wing policy

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

OhDearGodNo posted:

On these forums we say Baquack Obamailure :mad:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I don't think Trump's HCQ poo poo is anything other than him desperately wanting a magic bullet that will make this problem go away because if not himself, it's certainly dawning in his chud handlers that this thing may cost the GOP the 2020 election.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Oh no, please don’t be mean to Obama!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Uncle Wemus posted:

On these forums we say Baquack Obamailure :mad:

I'm partial to Matt Christman's "Barfsack Ocrumbo"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

LOL of course my hell town is in the red.

Biden should run ads in the state about the Foxconn clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The coronavirus is a well constructed conspiracy orchestrated by Joe Biden

But you can't interview him about it as he has the irrefutable truth on his side: he can't remember doing it