Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like the Doom Factory kinda used up their ideas in the one ep, though it would not surprise me that the guys have more jokes to make about Andy Warhol.

Alternate universe ideas are pretty fun given a more successful AU Rusty IS canon! Rusty as a supervillain might change up the dynamics quite a bit- who knows how the Monarch might react? And might get interesting if it ends up being the boys and Brock vs Rusty- or one of the boys joins Rusty as a supervillain while the other turns against him. (And it's absolutely an open question as to which one)

JJ is interesting given he consciously styled himself on Jonas, but seemed to actually have a conscience, and also more long-term foresight. Rusty is cursed with many of Jonas' worst traits; his lack of forethought, carelessness, lack of morals and concern for others, etc, but he's also at least got a lot of experience navigating the insane world of costumed aggression, as realised when he mediates the Treaty of Tolerance and turns out to be surprisingly good at it. Jonas Jr is more or less the opposite for about all of those traits, but unlike Rusty he doesn't have the same sense of fair play. He's basically Jonas if he tried to live in the real world and kept the super-science crap to the weekends, like a halfway responsible person would.

Interestingly, I think a JJ who actually had Rusty arching him might be faster to pick up on the arching way of doing things- since he pretty quickly got over the idea of wanting to kill Rusty and likely wouldn't want to actually hurt him. It might culminate in a different path to the brothers reconciling like they did on Gargantua-2... though in a worst case scenario, it could instead end in a repeat of Movie Night.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

graham cracker posted:

I'd watch a full 90s sitcom episode of Red Death and his family.

So as was mentioned before, 2017's Ducktales is VB's G-rated alternative. And in the most recent episode, the show is restructured into a 90's TGIF sitcom. And it is terrible in the exact right ways, and I love it.

And like VB, it's decently serialized, so be prepared for spoilers if you decide to jump in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Alternate universe ideas are pretty fun given a more successful AU Rusty IS canon!

This made me realize why it’s so fun to come up with “what if’s”. It’s a show about failure. What lends itself better to asking “what if?” than failure?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like the Doom Factory kinda used up their ideas in the one ep, though it would not surprise me that the guys have more jokes to make about Andy Warhol.

Alternate universe ideas are pretty fun given a more successful AU Rusty IS canon! Rusty as a supervillain might change up the dynamics quite a bit- who knows how the Monarch might react? And might get interesting if it ends up being the boys and Brock vs Rusty- or one of the boys joins Rusty as a supervillain while the other turns against him. (And it's absolutely an open question as to which one)

JJ is interesting given he consciously styled himself on Jonas, but seemed to actually have a conscience, and also more long-term foresight. Rusty is cursed with many of Jonas' worst traits; his lack of forethought, carelessness, lack of morals and concern for others, etc, but he's also at least got a lot of experience navigating the insane world of costumed aggression, as realised when he mediates the Treaty of Tolerance and turns out to be surprisingly good at it. Jonas Jr is more or less the opposite for about all of those traits, but unlike Rusty he doesn't have the same sense of fair play. He's basically Jonas if he tried to live in the real world and kept the super-science crap to the weekends, like a halfway responsible person would.

Interestingly, I think a JJ who actually had Rusty arching him might be faster to pick up on the arching way of doing things- since he pretty quickly got over the idea of wanting to kill Rusty and likely wouldn't want to actually hurt him. It might culminate in a different path to the brothers reconciling like they did on Gargantua-2... though in a worst case scenario, it could instead end in a repeat of Movie Night.

JJ also had the arrogance and tendency to not really care about anyone but whatever he had going on, which is why he thought it was smart to throw a party using all of the old supervillians and heroes from the original team venture era. He just thought this kind of thing was cool, which is why he was making his employees do things they hated., invited his girlfriend's alcoholic trainwreck of an ex-husband, etc. I mean, the captain literally becomes a drug addict....in front of him, and he's like "meh ok".

As far as being more realistic, I think nothing is more realistic than "rocket boots are cool, but could lead to lawsuits. Phones with 4g/wifi on the other hand won't get you sued, and everyone likes them." It's the same issue Jonas ran into with the H.E.L.P.E.R bots, in that most super science inventions are great ideas until someone loses an eye. Both of them supplemented income by selling weapons to the government. I am genuinely curious what Jonas was selling besides weapons to the US government, and what the Venchmen were making for sale-able product in the Killinger episode.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
JJ and Pirate Captain is one of my favorite friendships ever. JJ was definitely overbearing but he adored him and it was great

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Reiche posted:

JJ and Pirate Captain is one of my favorite friendships ever. JJ was definitely overbearing but he adored him and it was great

Best scene in the show was JJ's Funeral

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I imagine JJ probably made bank with government contracts for infrastructure as much as weapons, though it does seem the US government in the Ventureverse will gladly buy up all kinds of ridiculous super-science weapons and abominations if they think it'll give them an edge blowing up poor people. Which makes a lot of sense. That and the OSI has to get their crazy poo poo from somewhere, and I've said before it'd make a lot of sense that their helicarrier is full of super-science gadgets and projects that they don't really know how they work or what they're for anymore.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dibs on the killing sound!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Would anyone still be interested in buying any of the Venture Bros. Shirt Club shirts? I ended up with two that are brand-new and have never been worn, and they're too small for me. (I wear an XL.)

I have:
DEAN! shirt (faded light brown shirt with dark brown ring around the neck and '70s-style DEAN! font) - American Apparel L.
HENCH shirt (light gray shirt with a stylized '60s Batman-style HENCH graphic with 21's face) - Tee Fury M.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I might be, can you post some photos? Also how is the quality of the shirt?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I imagine JJ probably made bank with government contracts for infrastructure as much as weapons, though it does seem the US government in the Ventureverse will gladly buy up all kinds of ridiculous super-science weapons and abominations if they think it'll give them an edge blowing up poor people. Which makes a lot of sense. That and the OSI has to get their crazy poo poo from somewhere, and I've said before it'd make a lot of sense that their helicarrier is full of super-science gadgets and projects that they don't really know how they work or what they're for anymore.

Yeah that's fair. We only hear the one thing in the Killinger episode where he says "Tell the general his blackhawks will be ready a week ahead of schedule" or whatever, along with the captain explaining several seasons later that JJ dropped super-science for the most part due to the popularity of consumer electronics.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Why, oh why, does Sgt Hatred exclaiming “DID HENRY DARGER WRITE THIS!?” make me laugh so drat much every drat time?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Agreed. Absolutely perfect deepcut.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Would anyone still be interested in buying any of the Venture Bros. Shirt Club shirts? I ended up with two that are brand-new and have never been worn, and they're too small for me. (I wear an XL.)

I have:
DEAN! shirt (faded light brown shirt with dark brown ring around the neck and '70s-style DEAN! font) - American Apparel L.
HENCH shirt (light gray shirt with a stylized '60s Batman-style HENCH graphic with 21's face) - Tee Fury M.

If no one's claimed these, I'd totally pick up the DEAN! shirt.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why, oh why, does Sgt Hatred exclaiming “DID HENRY DARGER WRITE THIS!?” make me laugh so drat much every drat time?
Because you don't understand it and when you look it up, you're like "Wow, Sergent Hatred knows some obscure stuff!". Also, informative.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

X_Toad posted:

Because you don't understand it and when you look it up, you're like "Wow, Sergent Hatred knows some obscure stuff!". Also, informative.

I’ve known about Henry Darger since I was a freshman in college when I had to read something about him for my freshman English class. I think part of it is because I’ve made similar references to that total weirdo for a decade+ and nobody gets them, so when someone else does that it’s like a hit of validation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's not just that he knows who Henry Darger is, but that he reacts with that so quickly and instinctively. Henry Darger has to be somewhere near the forefront of his mind in order to just spit that out in a time of stress. It's great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is it a deeper cut than "how many Yaz albums do you have"?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's not just that he knows who Henry Darger is, but that he reacts with that so quickly and instinctively. Like Henry Darger had to be somewhere near the forefront of his mind in order to just spit that out. It's great.

you just know he's got a room where the walls are just plastered with collages of a most questionable nature.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
"Hey! Jocelyn Wildenstein wants her face back!". But maybe I'm just a little too young for that one to have landed square

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Warbird posted:

I might be, can you post some photos? Also how is the quality of the shirt?

The World Inferno posted:

If no one's claimed these, I'd totally pick up the DEAN! shirt.

Sorry about the delay. These both look on the small side to me, but I'm built a bit more like 21 than Dean, and don't feel comfortable in T-shirts that aren't a roomy XL. They definitely look new.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I normally wear medium-large. I also have the Dean shirt in large and it definitely fits tighter than a normal large. All of the first shirt club season shirts fit smaller than the others. I like the fabric more than the other seasons though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just finished watching the first season of the newish Harley Quinn cartoon. absolute 100% definite recommend for venture bros fans, its excellent. just look up the cast if youre unconvinced

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've gotta say, I've been turned off by the trailers because 99% of the purported humor seems to be "Swears are a substitute for jokes!" or "WOW that comic book character referenced sex, hilarious!" Are they misleading in that regard, or is that something I'd just have to grit my teeth through and try to enjoy the rest? I don't mind a healthy amount of juvenile humor—I'm in the Venture Bros thread after all—but I find that when comedies rely on the audience thinking that swearing is hilarious in and of itself then they tend to have really lazy writing otherwise and it's not for me.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 14, 2020

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Counterpoint: Kite Man. Hell yeah.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

feedmyleg posted:

I've gotta say, I've been turned off by the trailers because 99% of the purported humor seems to be "Swears are a substitute for jokes!" or "WOW that comic book character referenced sex, hilarious!" Are they misleading in that regard, or is that something I'd just have to grit my teeth through and try to enjoy the rest? I don't mind a healthy amount of juvenile humor—I'm in the Venture Bros thread after all—but I find that when comedies rely on the audience thinking that swearing is hilarious in and of itself then they tend to have really lazy writing otherwise and it's not for me.

Like the first episodes of each season are a bit heavy on the "hur hur he said a cuss" but it gets its feet under it pretty quickly and turns into a fun deconstruction romp.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
The trailers, and the pilot episode of Harley Quinn are pretty much designed to make the point that despite being an animated DC show, it's absolutely not for kids. Does it overdo it a bit? Yes, admittedly. Also, FPE (Fucks Per Episode) is totally a thing that they worked out with DC, and the answer they got back was "it's eight. Eight fucks." I think it's great that someone at DC had some kind of algorithm or something to determine the proper FPE number.

That said, Harley Quinn is a fantastic show, and really does have a Venture-esque vibe to it at times, so I definitely recommend it to fans of Venture Bros., or of quality animated shows in general.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Would you also recommend The Tick for fans of Venture Bros?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you like the venture brothers and haven’t seen the amazon Tick series you’re missing out, speaking of The Tick.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
VB is a spiritual spinoff of The Tick to begin with. If you're not aware, that's where Jackson got his start, and the only VB episode not written by Doc or Jackson was written by the creator of The Tick.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm annoyed that they found someone even better than Patrick Warburton to play the tick and it sill got cancelled.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

VB is a spiritual spinoff of The Tick to begin with. If you're not aware, that's where Jackson got his start, and the only VB episode not written by Doc or Jackson was written by the creator of The Tick.

It’s one of my favorite episodes, too, the all-psycho knockoff of the Scooby gang rules.

If Adult Swim did an animated version of the Tick with the same cast as the Amazon series and just picking up where it left off I’d be delighted. You can see a bunch of VB influence in it, it’s cool seeing how the inspiration goes both ways.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm annoyed that they found someone even better than Patrick Warburton to play the tick and it sill got cancelled.

Aww, what a lovely way to find out :smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

feedmyleg posted:

That was the original live action one. But they are both good and everyone should watch both.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one was pretty good. It's too bad it got canceled.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Tick guy also has story credits on Careers in Science and Guess Who's Coming To State Dinner. It wouldn't surprise me if he did a bunch of early soundboarding with the guys.

I kind of want to sit down and rewatch just Jackson or just Doc episodes to pick up on their individual styles, get on that level of Venture nerd.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Daikloktos posted:

Tick guy also has story credits on Careers in Science and Guess Who's Coming To State Dinner. It wouldn't surprise me if he did a bunch of early soundboarding with the guys.

I kind of want to sit down and rewatch just Jackson or just Doc episodes to pick up on their individual styles, get on that level of Venture nerd.

They talk in the art book a bit about working with him early in bringing the show together, and it was gonna be him and Jackson as co-creators. But Jackson and Doc (who'd just met around the time) were clearly soulmates, and Edlund told them he was gonna get out of their way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

That was the original live action one. But they are both good and everyone should watch both.

Jackson worked on both the first live action one and the animated series. All thee are worth watching to some degree, but every episode in the first live-action series is worse than the one before. If you just catch the pilot and skip the rest you're honestly better off.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Would you also recommend The Tick for fans of Venture Bros?

Yes, very much so. And then you'd be one to get my user name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

ultimately the cursing is realistic and probably as frequent and justified as an uncensored venture brothers episode. plus its really funny when nobody has cursed in a while and, because its an official cartoon with real dc characters, you get caught off guard by harley asking if the batcave is where batman fucks the bats