Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

is it safe to walk my chimpanzee around the neighbourhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Earwicker posted:

a blown bubble is a sealed bit of air that comes directly someone's lungs, i dont think its unreasonable to think it could contain respiratory drops, its not the same thing as blowing into open air

It’s not like a bubble is pressurized. You’re getting exactly the same viral load on average you’d be getting if the kid were blowing without a bubble wand. If you’re that paranoid fine but don’t go outside then. The bubble kid is not a superspreader.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Can we change the thread title to : The bubble kid is not a superspreader. ?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

It’s not like a bubble is pressurized. You’re getting exactly the same viral load on average you’d be getting if the kid were blowing without a bubble wand. If you’re that paranoid fine but don’t go outside then. The bubble kid is not a superspreader.

*Three weeks later*

Headline: COVID-19 hot spot identified around bubble blowing girl.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

shovelbum posted:

reminder that like a reality based social distancing guideline would be dont come within 30 feet of anywhere a human or cat or nonhuman primate has been in the past 3-9 hours

:hmmno:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dear Watson posted:

Why was she mad?

He didn’t dry hump the flag she really enjoys that part of his speeches.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Blowing without a bubble wand is more than enough to infect someone. I can't imagine that you don't know that at this point, literally everyone knows this, so why are you trolling?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Bubble Boy 2: Bubble Boy's Revenge

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Rat posted:

Three of my friends have had parents pass suddenly this week. Three. The oldest parent was only in their 60s. None of them will get to hold funerals or gatherings

Rats don’t live too long out in the wild

sorry bout your friends :smith:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

bird with big dick posted:

He didn’t dry hump the flag she really enjoys that part of his speeches.

Oh I didn’t watch it so I didn’t know he skipped that part (my fav too!!)

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Kharmakazy posted:

Blowing without a bubble wand is more than enough to infect someone. I can't imagine that you don't know that at this point, literally everyone knows this, so why are you trolling?

Exhaling is basically assault

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Exhaling is basically assault

Yes. It literally is assault and is being prosecuted as terrorism because we are in a pandemic.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

why would it have to be pressurized?

when i go outside i wear a mask to make sure my respiratory drops dont go very far. everyone else in my city is strongly encouraged to do the same and businesses are refusing to serve anyone not wearing a mask because this is a disease spread by respiratory drops that blow out of peoples mouths!

blowing bubbles is basically the opposite from trying to ensure one's respiratory drops don't go far. no i dont think bubble kid is a "superspreader" but its definitely irresponsible behavior. even if it has a small chance of infecting others why would you take that risk for something so pointless?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If singing in a choir is enough to spread it, it's rational to assume some kid sputtering into a bubble wand can spread it as well. lmao

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shovelbum posted:

reminder that like a reality based social distancing guideline would be dont come within 30 feet of anywhere a human or cat or nonhuman primate has been in the past 3-9 hours

Yeah but at that point we might as well just wear some sort of sealed hoods.

Try to scratch your noses now, assholes.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I legitimately think people insisting stupid poo poo like that is true should be a crime right now.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

real Donald rants

Which movie of the story is he watching?
The one where the captain is played by the fascist rapist?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah but at that point we might as well just wear some sort of sealed hoods.

Try to scratch your noses now, assholes.

Yes, if we did this, way fewer people would die. Those hoods would be very effective if we could get everybody into one.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Blistex posted:

Was making pancakes this morning and looked out front (fenced yard, about 4' high) and there were bubbles floating into it. My two year old son had not noticed them yet, so I ran out to the balcony and could see a ~10 year old girl with her grandmother blowing the bubbles at my son and trying to get his attention. I yelled, "Stop! What are you doing?" and the girl stopped and looked at me, then her grandmother who said, "It's ok, they're just kids!" I then said, "Your granddaughter is blowing bubbles, that contain her breath and traces of her saliva at my son!". The grandmother said, "she's not sick", and I told her to please stop, and blow bubbles somewhere else. The grandmother muttered that I was overreacting but they wandered off.

Am I the rear end in a top hat, or does anyone think I might be right in assuming that bubbles could be a transmission method for the virus?

You're not insane because my husband wondered same thing today when we were on our walk with our son and I was blowing some bubbles for his toddler amusement. Also at that same time another toddler saw us outside and happily banged on the window to get our attention. My son just learned how to wave and he waved back, it was very cute.

I'm sort of worried about his social development. He's a year and a half old and he now has zero social interaction with anyone other than his parents. He used to play with other kids but now he hasn't interacted with anyone who isn't us in nearly a month. If this goes on all summer is it going to stunt him or what?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ralph Crammed In posted:

If this goes on all summer is it going to stunt him or what?

if he was the only one going through this maybe, but all of his peers will have likely gone through something similar so once he is interacting with kids his own age again theyll have that in common

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I'm sort of worried about his social development. He's a year and a half old and he now has zero social interaction with anyone other than his parents. He used to play with other kids but now he hasn't interacted with anyone who isn't us in nearly a month. If this goes on all summer is it going to stunt him or what?
Yes. I’m sorry, your son is going to become a goon.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I kinda figured, he's already got two strikes against him. His dad's a computer toucher pro and post here on the reg.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

EL BROMANCE posted:

As a welsh guy in Florida, I’m going to bury my flags tonight before they come for me.

When Florida gets shelled the response from America will be uproarious laughter

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

Numbers stayed at the high plateau for a week, everyone! Sure there are still thousands a day but that number isn't getting worse.

Time to go back to normal. What a crazy month that was, huh?

yes this will ensure that the numbers go back to going up.. right? That's what we want.. Number 1 more biggerest numbers? I'm supreme leader of world.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sweet thursday posted:

is it safe to walk my chimpanzee around the neighbourhood

that is not what we mean about blowing bubbles

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

sweet thursday posted:

Numbers stayed at the high plateau for a week, everyone! Sure there are still thousands a day but that number isn't getting worse.

Time to go back to normal. What a crazy month that was, huh?

Crazy indeed. I know one thing is for sure, this whole pandemic has brought about a major change in my habits. I wash my hands now after jerking off while taking a dump. The new normal if you will.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

zaurg posted:

Crazy indeed. I know one thing is for sure, this whole pandemic has brought about a major change in my habits. I wash my hands now after jerking off while taking a dump. The new normal if you will.

We're really evolving as a species

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Yes. I’m sorry, your son is going to become a goon.

We are all goons now, everyone owes the tax man :10bux:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Generation Xi

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Rational person: in order to improve things, we are all going to have to sacrifice.
Rational person #2: yeah, we need to give up pork and beef
rear end in a top hat person: hell naw! I'll give up broccoli and walks in the park but never bacon and hamburgers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

From all I have read Bligh was a very competent seaman and navigator, but he was a poor leader because he would snap and demean officers in front of their insubordinates and then be nice to them in private, so no one never knew what his deal was. He didnt actually flog or punish more than other Royal Navy captains on average. The Bounty had no marines, though, which would have likely prevented a mutiny. The Mel Gibson/Anthony Hopkins version is probably the most accurate movie.

All things considered it is probably far too favorable a comparison. I dont know who you even compare a Donald Trump too.

Yeah Bligh actually seemed to care about the welfare his men more than many Royal Navy captains of the time. He implemented an alternative watch system so they could get eight hours of uninterrupted sleep instead of four on, four off, took great care to make sure they had good food, exercise, and that conditions were as hygienic as possible, and after the mutiny managed to sail himself and eighteen loyalists for 47 days in a 23 foot, overloaded boat 6700km to Timor with only one death on the way. It's pretty unfair to compare him to Trump.

He was notorious for verbally berating people yeah. But at the same time he yelled at sailors for things many other captains flogged for, and flogged them for things others had been hanged for.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Hazo posted:

I quite like the analogy put forth by the guy in your username: A crazy homeless person's idea of a rich successful person.

In other news, there is a definite leveling off, if not an outright downturn, of new cases and deaths. Are we believing that or still attributing it to saturation of testing capacity? Last week and this one were supposed to be the really ugly ones but so far I haven't gotten that impression.

I don't think I'm a conspiracy theorist.
I think that we arent testing AND the new tests that are going out are less sensitive because shittier. (<at best)
I think they will fudge the numbers and reclassify etc to make things seem better because fed gov and corps want to reopen everything overall.

I hope I'm wrong

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah Bligh actually seemed to care about the welfare his men more than many Royal Navy captains of the time. He implemented an alternative watch system so they could get eight hours of uninterrupted sleep instead of four on, four off, took great care to make sure they had good food, exercise, and that conditions were as hygienic as possible, and after the mutiny managed to sail himself and eighteen loyalists for 47 days in a 23 foot, overloaded boat 6700km to Timor with only one death on the way. It's pretty unfair to compare him to Trump.

He was notorious for verbally berating people yeah. But at the same time he yelled at sailors for things many other captains flogged for, and flogged them for things others had been hanged for.

Can we end this 4 page book barn derail? Thanks!

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

My daughter just turned 2. Yea this sucks for her.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ralph Crammed In posted:

You're not insane because my husband wondered same thing today when we were on our walk with our son and I was blowing some bubbles for his toddler amusement. Also at that same time another toddler saw us outside and happily banged on the window to get our attention. My son just learned how to wave and he waved back, it was very cute.

Nah. Homesteaders and lighthouse keepers could easily go months without seeing anyone outside their own families. It might not be ideal, but it's not out of the realm of normal human experience either.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Have another child quickly.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Spinz posted:

I think that we arent testing AND the new tests that are going out are less sensitive because shittier. (<at best)
I think they will fudge the numbers and reclassify etc to make things seem better because fed gov and corps want to reopen everything overall.

I hope I'm wrong

You aren't.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
stunted social development is gonna be the new normal social development so dont worry

everythings comin up milhouse :)

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Spinz posted:

I hope I'm wrong

You don't have to think or guess on this one Spinz.

The testing numbers are public information. Anyone can see for themselves that our testing isn't keeping pace with the outbreak at all. It's going the opposite direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Mozi posted:

well it's not totally impossible that the bat virus came from a lab as such mistakes have happened in the past, but that's a more complicated story than it just being from a wild bat (which the virus came from in the beginning anyways). and i don't see any way it gets from bats to pangolins except in the wet market, so even if it came from a lab it'd still have to get back to bats in the market anyways. so it's just an added layer of conspiracy for which there is no real supporting evidence and for the time being sticking with occam's razor seems appropriate, yes

Well, I would say that the easiest explanation is that this Wuhan lab had bad practices and released some virus filled bats that wound up at the wet market.
It is more likely than not concidering the coincidences in play.
This is also before you factor in the chinese way of doing things. China is not really known for the high quality of work.