Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The only thing I'm disappointed in is that Androids are skillless stand-ins for injured soldiers.

After we got Julien I was hoping for a wisecracking Android XCOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
This seems like the perfect smaller scope sized game to test out drastic new concepts for incorporating into the next full price game.

Not saying that’s bad at all, this looks neat.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm extremely going to buy this

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Well, the couple minutes of video convinced me to spend $10.85 on a game that I didn't know I needed when I went to bed last night.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Zero word on console versions of this, right? I’m not just missing it somewhere?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

runchild posted:

Zero word on console versions of this, right? I’m not just missing it somewhere?

It looks kind of like a console/tablet interface in the video, I wouldn't be surprised if a version was announced soon.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Also it looks like Jake Solomon isn't involved with this at all.

better be because that motherfucker is knee deep in xcom 3 development

anyway this poo poo looks rad and only ten days from announcement to release is pretty drat cool

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
What a lovely surprise! Saw the trailer and hit that buy button soo hard. N'thing the hope that modders will rip models and import them into XCOM 2.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
This was a :wtc: bit of news in the best way.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
I remember being told that being a XCOM fan would get some really good news this month on other boards, but I didn't think it would be "hey you get confirmation of actual plot advancement after you win XCOM 2 and a game that tries to do major experimentation on the familiar Firaxis XCOM formula".

Kinda curious how potentially restrictive asset porting is going to be: I would love to port back some of these models for Allies Unknown stuff in X2 but it's one thing to be porting over assets from a game released in 2012 like the various EU/EW ports, it's another from a game being released now even if it's meant to basically be a "while you wait for XCOM 3" side thing.

Also I love that one of the Skirmisher cops basically just went "I know kung fu" and just forsakes having a gun entirely.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Holy gently caress, that came out of nowhere. :woop:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

runchild posted:

did the other xcom games release to console at the same time as PC?

I'm sure this will come out on console but maybe not right at release

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

runchild posted:

"No current plans" for a console release according to Firaxis, which in English means "probably a little under a year later".

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
drat, not even 30 dollars, huh? I don't have much reason not to buy this, then.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

That's one way to announce a game.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Of course. :v:

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Didn't even look at the game before pulling the trigger on buying it. I'm just gonna ride the wave of goodwill I have for Firaxis in how they've been managing XCOM so far

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I can't explain how I feel. On one hand i'm sure the game will own and I'm definitely buying it as soon as I get some cash on the other I'm kinda disappointed a smaller scale game is coming after waiting so long.

[e] Now if this is a weird prequel to lead up to a nu apocalypse next year I'm golden.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 14, 2020

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Roger Muton: "I'm too old for this poo poo!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rainbow Siege 6, X-Com style?

NICE!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm going to wait for reviews (as I always do) but will almost certainly be buying this, it looks like it is going to be incredible!

I'd love to see lots of little games like this. Alongside that I swear I have heard the Pectoid voice somewhere before.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 14, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

He sounds kind of like mordin from mass effect. I wish it was david hyde pierce tho.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

TK-42-1 posted:

He sounds kind of like mordin from mass effect. I wish it was david hyde pierce tho.

Give it a week or so after release and he WILL be Mordin. (God I love the X-Com 2 workshop).

Ahhh, new X-Com game, a new chance for all the Mass Effect characters to ride again.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Holy poo poo was this ever out of left field. I'm super stoked and was pleasantly surprised the release date is so close too!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Oh wow the steam forum chuds are already declaring this as SJW garbage already for some reason. Like goddamn, Xcom was always a diverse worldwide organization.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Individual turns and stuff might fix why I found X-COM's combat kind of boring after a couple playthroughs.

I am in for buddy X-COPs.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DrManiac posted:

Oh wow the steam forum chuds are already declaring this as SJW garbage already for some reason. Like goddamn, Xcom was always a diverse worldwide organization.

mars needs women has them fearful of losing their god given right to a woman

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Literally everything is a giant threat to their lovely, terrified, terrible world view. Everything.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DrManiac posted:

That is amazingly stupid and makes the game even better.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

DrManiac posted:

In what way is this SJW according to the melted brains? Too many women or too many browns and blacks?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Chimera looks great, and it's not a full priced game, but there is a now uncanny/disturbing path between XCOM UFO Defense -> XCOM Terror from the Deep -> XCOM Apocalypse and XCOM Enemy Unknown -> XCOM 2 -> XCOM Chimera Squad.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

DrManiac posted:

if current events have taught us anything it's that when aliens invade the first thing america will do is cut the capital gains tax

then join advent.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
what a gang of morons. :hmbol:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sylphosaurus posted:

In what way is this SJW according to the melted brains? Too many women or too many browns and blacks?

Lol why do you care? Why do you want to bring drama from the Steam forums of all places instead of talking about a whole new Xcom that is changing up the formula?

I really wanna see more of the multiple different breach point system along with multiple chances to breach in missions.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Sylphosaurus posted:

the idea that those [creatures] we were shooting at last year can be our friends now is anathema to chudliness.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am actually pretty happy to see something that is 'no we did not genocide the aliens'.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope we get an Andromedon on the team, just wearing an xxxxxxxxl jacket over his exosuit

quote:

I am actually pretty happy to see something that is 'no we did not genocide the aliens'.

Yeah it's nice it's going off the implication of WotC's ending with the Skirmishers taking in the troopers who left, even if some tried to keep ADVENT together. They were all enslaved too after all.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

BexGu posted:

Lol why do you care? Why do you want to bring drama from the Steam forums of all places instead of talking about a whole new Xcom that is changing up the formula?

I really wanna see more of the multiple different breach point system along with multiple chances to breach in missions.
Because what little we´ve seen I don´t even understand how you can manage to arrive at that conclusion but I guess that the chuds doesn´t need that much to grease their gears.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sylphosaurus posted:

Because what little we´ve seen I don´t even understand how you can manage to arrive at that conclusion but I guess that the chuds doesn´t need that much to grease their gears.

It's as simple as them not wanting to see women or minorities in any way, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think it's because there are a fair number of folks of "none white" ethnicities and the various aliens are now friends.

Ultimately it is more sad and funny than either or.