Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The average has been pushed so low that Bad Rats can be safely and unironically be considered an Okay game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
No.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

exquisite tea posted:

There are a few Overwhelmingly Negative games on Steam.

This has completely slipped my mind as I haven't seen Overwhelmingly Negative scores in a while. But I think F76 can aim for Crushingly Negative.

Receiver 2 is out! With a 25% discount if you have the original Receiver, it seems.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 14, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Here's the absolute worst ones, based on review averages (open in a browser not logged into Steam).

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
They announced the final update to Terraria is going to launch on May 16. I also learned that Terraria has sold 30,000,000 copies, holy moly.

https://twitter.com/GamesRadar/status/1249808411866337281

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 14, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's kind of bittersweet to hear that this is confirmed as the final update. There have been so many great surprises coming to Terraria over the years. Still the best ten dollars I ever spent.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Anno posted:

I assume that some people just had a cool idea for an XCOM spinoff as a chance to try new themes/gameplay mechanics. It’ll probably be pretty short and not as varied as mainline XCOM, and for $10 that seems fine.

So, an XCom version of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Veotax posted:

The letterboxing on the side of the screen?

I'm pretty sure the remaster has a couple of modes where you can zoom the camera in to fill the screen, I think.
One narrowscreen mode.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallout 76 on Steam still lets you subscribe to “Fallout 1st,” which I’m shocked still exists somehow.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm a Fallout 76 apologist. It's not the greatest game ever but it did not deserve the flak that it got. The gameplay loop is more or less the same as Fallout 4 so I think if you liked that, you would like 76. One thing that I can say objectively about it though, is that it is GORGEOUS. Something about Fallout 4's lighting looks like total poo poo, but they fixed whatever that problem was for 76 because the lighting is so so much better

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been curious about Fallout 76 for a while but Bethesda has stubbornly refused to offer any decent sales in the US and I don't care nearly enough to set up a VPN so I can get the $13 EMEA/AUS/NZ key.

Seems weird for it to launch at $40 on Steam after all this time.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm a Fallout 76 apologist. It's not the greatest game ever but it did not deserve the flak that it got. The gameplay loop is more or less the same as Fallout 4 so I think if you liked that, you would like 76. One thing that I can say objectively about it though, is that it is GORGEOUS. Something about Fallout 4's lighting looks like total poo poo, but they fixed whatever that problem was for 76 because the lighting is so so much better

Same here honestly. For me, 76 was a distillation of the parts of four I enjoyed, but with all the terrible plot and npc interactions sloughed off into the garbage where they belong. It was buggy and I understand that it wasn't what everyone was looking for with a fallout game, but I really enjoyed it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Receiver 2 is more of the same, but with more polish and a bit of a smoother learning curve. Well, there's some extra stuff in it so far that I'm not going to spoil, but it's pretty cool.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I absolutely love the gameplay loop of Fallout 4 and still play it to this day, 76 is basically that, but with no mods, worse graphics and technical issues plagueing absolutely every step of the journey.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I'm a Fallout 76 apologist. It's not the greatest game ever but it did not deserve the flak that it got. The gameplay loop is more or less the same as Fallout 4...

:ssh: Fallout 4 sucks.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I remember spending like 15 bucks on a four pack of Terraria years ago and even though I haven't played it in years its still some of the best value I've gotten out of a game. I'll definitely reinstall it when that update drops and see all that has changed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StabMasterArson posted:

worse graphics

Heeelll nawwww

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I'm sorry but... none of those look good lol

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
They probably look better than Fallout 4 though

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

XCOPS: Enemy Resisting Arrest

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

They probably look better than Fallout 4 though
It's been a while since I've played Fallout 4, but if they do, then it isn't by much.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You guys really think those screenshots are objectively bad looking? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The Fallout 76 game world is quite nice and interesting, and it would have been great as the basis of a single player game.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Here's a few nice ones I took recently, but yeah maybe it's pretty close

You guys really think those screenshots are objectively bad looking? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that

It's something about the oversaturation, the scratchy-looking foliage, the godrays and the mix of low quality and high quality textures that makes me just think of Stalker mods back in the day or something.

StabMasterArson fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 14, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I saw that crowbar and it took me about 5 seconds to realize it wasn't a Half-Life screenshot.

Also you can kinda see what I was talking about in those Fallout 4 screenshots. Something about the lighting looks weird and flat

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think they look all that good by the current standards for high-end game graphics. Stuff like that clutter on that pic with the guitar guys, it's visibly flat and just painted on the ground, not modelled. It's little things like that.

It's not an ugly game, but it doesn't look great or all that different from Fallout 4 either.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hard to look at those screenshots without imagining a bunch of jerky animations and NPCs rotating in place

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

id pay maybe 15 bucks max to play fallout 76, including expansion. im surprised it hasnt gone free yet tbh

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Those screenshots look like a PostApoc expansion for The Sims 4, which is on the par for modern Fallout graphics.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

been playing Receiver 2 and im really enjoying it so far, might do an effort post about it later but its a huge jump in quality from the first one. However, there is one aspect of the game i think needs to be mentioned for other people:

:siren:AVOID THIS GAME IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY DEALING WITH SUICIDE IDEATION!!!:siren:

The game does have a tiny warning at the start about this, but im serious, this game might set someone over the edge if they didnt know about this. Big gameplay/story spoilers follow:

The game is an fps rougelike and the objective for each run is to collect X amount of tapes. The tapes usually give backstory about the current situation and what Receivers are, but there are also basically suicide tapes sprinkled in as well. The content of these tapes is usually some character lamenting about being depressed and then saying that they are going to kill themselves or something to that affect. Once you start to listen to the tape, your character will then take their gun and start to turn it on themselves. If you dont unload your weapon in time, you will kill yourself. Ive never seen a game do this and it was extremely unnerving and intense. A big theme in the game is firearm safety, oddly enough, and I think they did this to drive home how unsafe firearms can be, especially if you are suffering from depression.

Still really like the game, but i think this is something that will upset some people. Really dont want this part to sneak up on people that could be seriously affected by it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

been playing Receiver 2 and im really enjoying it so far, might do an effort post about it later but its a huge jump in quality from the first one. However, there is one aspect of the game i think needs to be mentioned for other people:

:siren:AVOID THIS GAME IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY DEALING WITH SUICIDE IDEATION!!!:siren:

The game does have a tiny warning at the start about this, but im serious, this game might set someone over the edge if they didnt know about this. Big gameplay/story spoilers follow:

The game is an fps rougelike and the objective for each run is to collect X amount of tapes. The tapes usually give backstory about the current situation and what Receivers are, but there are also basically suicide tapes sprinkled in as well. The content of these tapes is usually some character lamenting about being depressed and then saying that they are going to kill themselves or something to that affect. Once you start to listen to the tape, your character will then take the gun and start to turn it on themselves. If you dont unload your weapon in time, you will kill yourself. Ive never seen a game do this and it was extremely unnerving and intense. A big theme in the game is firearm safety, oddly enough, and I think they did this to drive home how unsafe firearms can be, especially if you are suffering from depression.

Still really like the game, but i think this is something that will upset some people. Really dont want this part to sneak up on people that could be seriously affected by it.

That sounds like a game that would be genuinely unsafe for me to play. Thank you for the warning.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
What the gently caress.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I see you have never played Jurassic Park: Trespasser.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Oh. Guess I’m refunding

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

been playing Receiver 2

Sheesh. And I had a hard enough time with the opening cinematic of Resident Evil 3 Remake. What you described sounds rough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It certainly sounds like it's way past the point of what should be in a game like that. It's supposed to a gun simulator, not some kind of weird psychological stealth horror/melodrama.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Can I play Half-Life Alyx with an Oculus Quest?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

The game is an fps rougelike and the objective for each run is to collect X amount of tapes. The tapes usually give backstory about the current situation and what Receivers are, but there are also basically suicide tapes sprinkled in as well. The content of these tapes is usually some character lamenting about being depressed and then saying that they are going to kill themselves or something to that affect. Once you start to listen to the tape, your character will then take their gun and start to turn it on themselves. If you dont unload your weapon in time, you will kill yourself. Ive never seen a game do this and it was extremely unnerving and intense. A big theme in the game is firearm safety, oddly enough, and I think they did this to drive home how unsafe firearms can be, especially if you are suffering from depression.

On one hand, that's totally hosed up and I totally get that it would not be received well by some folks, and rightfully so. On the other, that's loving wild. The only other game I could think of with similar mechanics is [spoiler]Super Hot[/spolier]. They're going to get some serious poo poo for this I bet.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can I play Half-Life Alyx with an Oculus Quest?

Oh for sure. It may not be 100% the best way to play it, but it certainly can be done.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The original Receiver played really hard on schizophrenia delusions so this doesn't seem like it's coming out of left field. Still a good warning for certain folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

For a lighter note with Receiver 2, I have without fail managed to shoot my leg while holstering with every single type of firearm I've been given so far.