Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ak is cheaper than a mosin and the one shot on thorax doesnt matter when you can semi auto three or four shots in the same time, and if you are literally brand new to the game you arent hitting your mosin shots. youre also running customs for your tasks which is a map with extremely varied engagement ranges which are better suited to an ak than a mosin. you arent always at range and you cant count on always being at range because you dont know how to dictate engagements yet and every one is a surprise so take the thing thats flexible. learn how recoil on full auto works. learn how attachments work and what optics you like. dont use the ancient bolt action just because theres the potential to one tap a geared guy when you should be learning instead how to move around unnoticed when you want to avoid pmc fights and how to handle scavs and how they behave. learn about packing mags and ammo types so when you do get a lucky kill on someone with an m4 you know enough not to panic while using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My dude, even with a thicc case full of fancy AKs, vss, m4s, and the like the Mosin is still my go to for a budget run. Maybe leave the sights on if you're having trouble hitting things.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i dont have trouble hitting things, but i did when i started which is what we're talking about

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
After a few frustrating runs on shoreline (many scav kills that apparently were closer than 50m - apparently I can't judge distances in this game) I finished the quest off in reserve, shooting just-visible scavs in the garage area and the courtyard from the dome and rocks nearby. Also a few PMCs who decided to wander around in the open for some reason, laffo.

Next, more Jaeger mosin crap, but at least I can use a scope now.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Don't be that mosin guy in Customs who I killed yesterday in close range. He missed his only shot and I wasted him with my full auto AK. We both were scavs and he had a bag filled to the gills with loot. So I just grabbed his stuff and went for exit. He had an AK too but for some reason it was not in his hands..

Game also got easier after turning down thr gfx settings and boosting shadows in nvidia overlay. Some places were really really dark and it got old fast when it felt like everyone else except me can see in that darkness.

160fps is still a dream but 80fps is better than 60...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 14, 2020

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Ihmemies posted:

Don't be that mosin guy in Customs who I killed yesterday in close range. He missed his only shot and I wasted him with my full auto AK. We both were scavs and he had a bag filled to the gills with loot. So I just grabbed his stuff and went for exit. He had an AK too but for some reason it was not in his hands..

Game also got easier after turning down thr gfx settings and boosting shadows in nvidia overlay. Some places were really really dark and it got old fast when it felt like everyone else except me can see in that darkness.

160fps is still a dream but 80fps is better than 60...

I'm still playing on default medium and I'm definitely feeling like it's way harder for me to spot people than it should be.

Other players will light me up through bushes that I can't even see through.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

For me Tarkov feels like pubg... I can see enemies as well in pubg as in Tarkov. I'm also as bad at hitting enemies as in pubg.. :v:

I have very rarely died to bush warriors. Usually I just meet a guy who owns me. Or I think some guy is a scav when he's actually a player and then he proceeds to own me, because i didn't take the situation seriously enough :smugjones:

Now when I'm playing with a scav I'll shoot first, and ask questions later, if I hear someone coming behind a corner or I surprise someone. This week I will try to grind to level 10 and finish the 5 scavs, 2 shotguns quest. I have four weapons in my stash I got from scav runs, and I know the major exits in Customs, and how to get around in that map.

Some very friendly goon boosted me yesterday and we found 2 defibrillators and 2 graphics cards from Interchange. So I'm well off financially now, in theory, I just can't sell the items in Flea market yet :shepspends:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 14, 2020

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Famethrowa posted:

Mosin, grach, paca, peen helm was my go-to newbie loadout.

Replaced by sks, armored rig and ratnik when I got money

OP-SKS with the FD stock for a military filter from Mechanic will cost you less than Mosin + Grach; Tapco SKS for a GP Coin same. Can’t remember trade levels tho.

Edit: another super pro trade during early levels is 3 soap and 4 toilet paper for a L4 Uley from Ragman. You’ll need flea market access for a regular supply but it ends up being a l4 rig for like 45k. They repair like poo poo but they’re good enough for 2-3 repairs (at least while you’re new) and you’ll get them back pretty often, especially at this point in the wipe.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 14, 2020

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

OP-SKS with the FD stock for a military filter from Mechanic will cost you less than Mosin + Grach; Tapco SKS for a GP Coin same. Can’t remember trade levels tho.

Newbs don't have flea market early game.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the ak is supreme. there are other guns but using those just makes you lame.

really lame.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Famethrowa posted:

Newbs don't have flea market early game.

Oh duh, yeah. Still helpful once they hit level 10 though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Make sure you are logged in and watching https://www.twitch.tv/twitchrivals btw, especially if you are a new player. Free poo poo is always nice.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I thought that didn’t start until 1pm pst?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I thought that didn’t start until 1pm pst?

Started at 9AM PST.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This is a somewhat more interesting format compared to "make the most money in x amount of time" of whatever the gently caress the last thing was.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Holy poo poo these drops are bad

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

causticBeet posted:

Holy poo poo these drops are bad

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I expected more from a tournament sponsored by Doritos

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I got a expeditionary fuel tank and the 250k rivals bandana

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
some people are getting graphics cards, I've gotten a lion statue and a moonshine so there's definitely some highrolls here

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Buff Hardback posted:

I got a expeditionary fuel tank and the 250k rivals bandana

Bandana keeps going up. It's like 500k last I looked. God only knows why.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I have gotten a couple gold items, like a teapot and some superwater. Apparently those are classified as a common item.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Got a "rare drop". Vulcan MG night scope...

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Also got a rare drop. A wallet.

Edit: This game needs more money sinks. I'm running out of things to spend money on. I have 32mil in cash, 25mil in bitcoins, 5x THICC cases, 8x SICC cases, probably 10mil in ready-to-go weapons, about 10mil in just M995 ammo, numerous other containers (like junkboxes and medcases) tons of random barter poo poo and these days I just can't seem to ever make that number go down. The total value of my stash on the stats screen is 171mil and i'm not even sure how accurate that is. It's so hard to not make money these days. I'm debating just buying labs keys because they are the last keys I don't have. I just don't ever run Reserves.

Not trying to brag, just realizing this game kind of has a problem with money. I'm worried that when the full game is released, you'll upgrade everything in a few months and your money will just continue to rise and rise. I hope they can figure out a way to kind of curb the money creep. Otherwise this game is just gonna become everyone running the exact same tier 1 armor and weapons with thermals and bullets that cost 2,000 a round. That just seems boring to me. I want to see some variety and people patching together loadouts like they actually would in a setting like Tarkov. I know seasons are gonna kind of affect that, I just hope they make the seasons nice and short. Not a year long like this current cycle of patches seems to be.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 14, 2020

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

ShowTime posted:

I have gotten a couple gold items, like a teapot and some superwater. Apparently those are classified as a common item.

Teapots are common if you hit safes a lot, and I think most items you can craft in a hideout are listed as common, which is kinda strange since the components can sometimes be uncommon or rare. :iiam:

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I got a graphic card from the stream. I am a new player so I cannot sell it yet on the flea market - how much would that net me? Or should I keep it for some useful things?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Around 300k unless the price has dipped

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

RattiRatto posted:

I got a graphic card from the stream. I am a new player so I cannot sell it yet on the flea market - how much would that net me? Or should I keep it for some useful things?

As a new player, i'd sell it. You'll eventually want 50x of them for the hideout to produce bitcoins, but thats a future problem. By the time you get there you should be able to just buy the ones you need and the graphic card money you get now can help you get to that point.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
So I basically doubled my net worth watching on mute something about this game. Way to go

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I was thinking about the Mosin run discussion earlier and I got the quest to kill 7 Scavs in Woods without wearing armor, so I figured it would be a good opportunity to test it out. The rules I set myself were that in between raids I could only buy a Mosin with 20 rounds, and meds for out of raid healing. I went with LPS Gzh ammo as it's available from Prapor LL1, I was buying it off Flea Market when it was cheaper, but it is available to new players. In between PMC raids, I was doing Scav raids on Interchange as I know the map well. Basically the idea was to see how much I could make with a minimal outlay. For context, I'm only level 16 and I'm not great at the game, also I'd only played Woods around 4-5 times before doing this. I made sure to record my opening balance before making any purchases and then my closing balance after selling any loot to ensure my profit/loss figure was accurate; this made things take a bit longer as I had to wait for a few things to clear on the flea market. I was spending a bit of time watching this Twitch Rivals thing as well, so doing a bit of healing between raids without spending cash.

Raid 1 - Extracted
Purchased 1 x Mosin & 20 LPS Gzh: 37,016₽
Killed 2 Scavs
3M Armor & Wartech rig I held onto (I'd immediately forgotten about the no-armor quest requirement)
Looted items and weapons sold: 39,683₽ Profit

Scav Run 1 - Dead

Run 2 - Dead
Used Mosin, ammo, armor & rig from previous round
Killed 1 Scav, 1 PMC
21,871₽ Profit (after selling loot I managed to get in my butt).

Run 3 - Dead
Purchased 1 x Mosin & 20 LPS Gzh: 35,736₽
No kills
24,257₽ Loss

Scav Run 2 - Dead

Run 4 - Dead
Purchased 1 x Car 1st Aid - 6,064₽
Purchased 1 x Mosin & 20 LPS Gzh: 36,236₽
No Kills
35,822₽ Loss

Scav Run 3 - Dead

Run 5 - Dead
Purchased 1 x Mosin & 20 LPS Gzh: 36,636₽
Killed 1 Scav
10,342₽ Profit

Scav Run 4 - Extracted
No kills
Kept a Triton Rig & Scav Backpack
207,361₽ Profit (spawned in with a couple of good keys)

Run 6 - Dead
No kills
Triton Rig & Scav Backpack from previous run
36,236₽ Loss

Scav Run 5 - Extracted
No Kills
Kept a Scav Vest & T-Bag
88,657₽ Profit

Run 7 - Extracted
Purchased 1 x Car 1st Aid - 6,064₽
Scav Vest & T-Bag from previous run
1 Scav Kill
Kept an AKM/VPO-209 with 3 x 10-Round mags of FMJ & a Tarzan Rig
32,357.₽ Profit

Scav Run 6 - Extracted
No Kills
Kept a GSSH-01 Headset, AI-2 Medkit, Duffle & Wartech Rig
111,761₽ Profit

Run 8 - Dead
Went in with Mosin & AKM, ammo, headset, rig, bag & meds from previous
2 Scav Kills
41,515₽ Profit

Scav Run 7 - Extracted
No Kills
Kept a Duffle, Scav Vest, Grizzly, Painkiller & AI02
187,393₽ Profit

Run 9 - Dead
Went in with rig, duffle, meds from previous rounds
Purchased 1 x Mosin & 20 LPS Gzh: 37,014₽ (I loaded 5 rounds in the Mosin and forgot to bring the rest with me on this one)
Killed 2 PMCs
9,179₽ Loss

Across all the runs I spent 267,238₽ on guns, ammo & meds and came out with a total profit of 635,446₽. So it's (for someone of my skill level at least) not the quickest way of making money, but it is profitable. Mainly because of the scav runs, to be honest. The only issue with recommending this to someone sub level 10 is that where I made most of my money was selling things on the flea market. It was a bit boring apart from the last run where I got 2 PMC kills, but (possibly due to this Twitch thing, I dunno) I was having lots of issues getting into my Scav runs and most of them I ended up loading with around 10 mins left, so didn't get much chance to do anything other than loot and scoot.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lemon posted:

I was thinking about the Mosin run discussion earlier and I got the quest to kill 7 Scavs in Woods without wearing armor, so I figured it would be a good opportunity to test it out. The rules I set myself were that in between raids I could only buy a Mosin with 20 rounds, and meds for out of raid healing. I went with LPS Gzh ammo as it's available from Prapor LL1, I was buying it off Flea Market when it was cheaper, but it is available to new players. In between PMC raids, I was doing Scav raids on Interchange as I know the map well. Basically the idea was to see how much I could make with a minimal outlay. For context, I'm only level 16 and I'm not great at the game, also I'd only played Woods around 4-5 times before doing this. I made sure to record my opening balance before making any purchases and then my closing balance after selling any loot to ensure my profit/loss figure was accurate; this made things take a bit longer as I had to wait for a few things to clear on the flea market. I was spending a bit of time watching this Twitch Rivals thing as well, so doing a bit of healing between raids without spending cash.

Across all the runs I spent 267,238₽ on guns, ammo & meds and came out with a total profit of 635,446₽. So it's (for someone of my skill level at least) not the quickest way of making money, but it is profitable. Mainly because of the scav runs, to be honest. The only issue with recommending this to someone sub level 10 is that where I made most of my money was selling things on the flea market. It was a bit boring apart from the last run where I got 2 PMC kills, but (possibly due to this Twitch thing, I dunno) I was having lots of issues getting into my Scav runs and most of them I ended up loading with around 10 mins left, so didn't get much chance to do anything other than loot and scoot.

Scav runs on interchange will very often spawn you in with 12 or less minutes left. If you want to take your time and loot, Reserve has much better loot, raiders to possibly take guns off of, safer scav extracts (you get 2 scav exclusive extracts plus sewer manhole, train, and hermetic door), and you typically spawn in with 30-40 minutes to loot.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

Scav runs on interchange will very often spawn you in with 12 or less minutes left. If you want to take your time and loot, Reserve has much better loot, raiders to possibly take guns off of, safer scav extracts (you get 2 scav exclusive extracts plus sewer manhole, train, and hermetic door), and you typically spawn in with 30-40 minutes to loot.

Definitely Reserves for scav runs. Cannot stress this enough. You have plenty of time to loot (i've maybe only spawned into a Reserve raid with less than 20 minutes 3-4 times, if that) and tons of areas to get that loot. More importantly, you have lots of relatively safe and nearby extracts. As an example, my 2nd to last scav run (my last scav run had one of Gluhars guards charge me from across the trainstation the moment I set foot in the area) spawned me near the barracks near train station with an extract at the heating pipe. I had to walk over a hill and I was able to extract with an m700 if I wanted too. Instead I looted the weapons crate by the tank on that hill, got an M4A1 and spotted 2 dead raiders right on the platform across from that hill. Looted them, got a sick Saiga, some good armor, a bunch of random loot and walked out of my extract, all in about 3 minutes. Sold almost all of it (kept the IFAKs and a few other things) and netted 500k for doing absolutely nothing.

You might say "Well that's not fun. You didn't fight anyone." That's true, but I funded another run by having to do absolutely nothing but use a 15 minute timer.

Reserves is stupid money, but more importantly, it's very quick and safer than Interchange. I'd rather take the higher chance of getting out with decent loot than the lower chance of getting out with decent (or maybe even slightly better purely profit wise) loot. Certainly Interchange has a ton of money laying around, but i'll take the safety of Reserves over it any day.

Edit: Also, apparently there are "Legendary" drops on the Twitch stream too. I just got one that was a pretty pimped out SVDS. FLIR thermal and everything.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

throw scavs into dorms and shoot things

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Stux posted:

throw scavs into dorms and shoot things

I'm not saying I avoid fights on a scav. I actively seek them out unless I have a good in and out like I just described. But you are at such a disadvantage as a scav vs PMC's these days because so many of them are rocking good armor and weapons, so the chances of winning are slim. The way to be a successful killer as a scav involves numbers, surprise or getting lucky with a decent weapon. Even surprise sometimes isn't enough. My PS ammo isn't gonna do poo poo against your level 5 armor and M1A that one taps my armorless body.

Edit: As with all of the Tarkov tournaments so far, this one is also ending in drama. Worrun/LVNDMARK won technically, but they gave the win to another team (Swagger, who is being an absolute piece of poo poo and I hope you never watch his stream). Lots of drama over the tournament organizers applying some rules to some people, but not to others, changing rules mid tournament, etc. It's a complete clusterfuck.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 15, 2020

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ShowTime posted:

Edit: As with all of the Tarkov tournaments so far, this one is also ending in drama. Worrun/LVNDMARK won technically, but they gave the win to another team (Swagger, who is being an absolute piece of poo poo and I hope you never watch his stream). Lots of drama over the tournament organizers applying some rules to some people, but not to others, changing rules mid tournament, etc. It's a complete clusterfuck.

yeah it is, no joke, maybe the biggest disaster of a streamer tournament I think I've ever seen

which is really saying something

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

hahaha is there a summary anywhere about this drama.

Worrun is a p chill dude from what I've seen.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

hahaha is there a summary anywhere about this drama.

Worrun is a p chill dude from what I've seen.

Summary I gather from what little I watched/listened to is:

Halfway through the tournament they changed the bingos for people in EU. So things they thought they had to do were changed halfway through.
The tournament rules for a square were to have 6mil between all stashes. Apparently an admin posted in Discord at some point during the tournament that they changed this to all money must be on one account. A. Post in Discord chat during a tournament? Those guys aren't reading that. B. They never updated the squares or made it very well known. C. How the gently caress do you do that when you can only take X amount of money into a raid? Sure, you can do it, but that isn't easy.
They apparently still gave Swagger credit for having the 6mil spread amongst all accounts. They also at one point said that Worruns team was not able to get the money in time, then backtracked to saying they couldn't get it onto one account in time and then finally said they never even got 6mil.

So they gave Swagger the win and while Worrun/LVNDMARK and their third teammate were being professional (though pissed at the tournament organizers), Swagger started talking an incredible amount of poo poo about them and their team. At one point he even banned all the viewers in his channel who weren't subbed.

So Worrun has been trying to chat with the admins and it isn't going well. He is currently talking to them on Discord if they can get their sound worked out. Apparently the organizers can't hear Worrun in Discord, which in itself is very strange.

Tons of streamers came to the defense of Worrun and their channel on Discord was stacked with people consoling them and being disgusted with the rules.

Thats all I know but i'm sure you can check Reddit for way more posts and drama.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LGD posted:

yeah it is, no joke, maybe the biggest disaster of a streamer tournament I think I've ever seen

which is really saying something

they decided midstream to not count scav runs, right as they reached the final hour as one Russian stream team was running a scav

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I wish I knew who the third teammate was, because even with just Worrun/LVNDMARK, you have an incredible team. If I were a betting man, i'd bet on those two any day of the week. Two of the, if not the, best Tarkov streamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Tbh this sounds exactly like what I expected, it's very, very on-brand for Tapkob and Battlestate.
Don't run what you can't afford to lose!
Except instead of run it's "enter an event" and instead of lose it's "get really frustrated with a studio running their first competition ever in a game with notoriously glitchy servers and massive numbers of wierd bugs."
At least people got drops!