Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Send Cait Sith to be the second squad leader as he's so trustworthy and has ample experience as a battle commander.

Barret goes in the vents to do hacking.

Instead of whispers changing fate Cait Sith will conveniently show up whenever a party member is about to die and take his place. Reeves keeps trying to join the party in earnest but his drone keeps arriving just in time to get sacrificed over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Yeah, exactly this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mantis42 posted:

The real problem with the ending is it comes out of nowhere and hijacks the plot away from all the interesting stuff.

In what way? Removing the prospect of the final boss being Motor Ball?

Like the story of everything in Midgar is done by the time you go to the ghost zone to fight the big whisper, and the end result of "everyone agrees to go hunt down Sephiroth" is the same

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The "ghost zone", lol. Where do all the ghosts live?~~~

:spooky:

Mantis42 posted:

The real problem with the ending is it comes out of nowhere and hijacks the plot away from all the interesting stuff.

All the alternate timeline / destiny stuff is going to be included into Tifa 'diving' into Cloud's mind somehow; it's gonna be an exasperating headache.
With FF7 being so drat popular, it just can't be as easy as saying "this is an alternate story"...need Destiny Ghosts for some reason.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 14, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Meta plots are loving stupid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Actually, they’re real good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mordiceius posted:

Meta plots are loving stupid.

Yeah just like those famously bad FFXIV Dark Knight quests

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'd be fine with the Whisper subplot if they followed the the famous idiom of 'calling a spade a TRICHOPHYTON RUBRUM'.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The more I think about it the funnier it gets, I'm just sitting here giggling to myself at the idea of the party, incl. Aerith, watching Holy be too late to stop Meteor, and Aerith turning to Cloud and going CLOUD I NEED YOU TO DO ME RIGHT NOW, like in Little Nicky, only for Cloud to blush and stammer something about last night, whereupon Red XIII eyerolls and gives her a nudge off a cliff.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Red really just wants to speed up this timeline so he can retire, bone all the time and run around with his 5-7 pup kids. It's how this always ends.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Here's what I think will end up going down to keep a balance between the setpieces we know and new poo poo:

- Eventually the party sits down, has a chat and realises Sephiroth kinda hosed them over getting them to kill the time janitors

- They then spend a lot of time trying desperately to re-rail the plot using whatever Aerith can piece together, while Seph throws them constant curveballs

- Aerith comes clean that she died in the original timeline and it was instrumental to the victory

- Eventually it comes down to Aerith's death but Cloud resists it (perhaps despite Aerith's insistence) and resolves to screw fate as hard as Seph is

- Things mostly proceed from there except with Aerith alive, she can bone Cloud instead the night before the crater assault, maybe she gets Scarlet's gas chamber too

- During the ending poo poo inevitably goes sideways and Aerith tells Cloud it's not enough and Cloud has to take her out behind the Highwind and Ol' Yeller her himself she jumps into the middle of lifestream in the crater herself.

I dunno I just sort of like the irony of the party trying to become the time janitors themselves once they realise they averted a GOOD ending. And also the idea of faking everyone out that Aerith might live until the very last second, which would recapture the feeling of the original death quite well.

Or they could uh...just not give Sephiroth the black materia. Make the fucker work for it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What I'm really interested in with the Whispers is that Rufus is specifically shown to be able to see them, even when Tseng can't. They're setting up something with some of the shinra people. Between Rufus seeing things he shouldn't be able to and Rude and Reno starting to turn on their boss, I'm wondering if the final team might include some more unexpected faces than just the AVALANCHE second stringers.

I literally just drooled a little at what you're insinuating. I love it that much. Also hoping we get to play certain segments of the game as other characters. Like Barret in his home town etc.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

homeless snail posted:

For sure, this is pretty much George Lucas' whole career. The real question is gonna be, are these games the Star Wars special editions or are they Rebuild of Evangelion

Which of these is meant to be the good one? I mean, I am a big fan of the ending of 2.22 and 3.33, but they're pretty divisive.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I want Aerith and Tifa to dump Cloud's rear end and get together with each other. Sacrifice Cloud on the altar of saving the planet.

I'm fine with this, as long as Tifa doesn't get it. She's by far the most fun to actually control.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 14, 2020

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
If people get angry about Rebuild (never really seen that online / irl) it's nowhere near the level of criticism that Lucas receives.

e: Like...Evangelion and FF7 (to some extent) have plots about restarting humanity woven into their fabric. It's not a stretch to go to restarting timelines / alternate universes from there.

Star Wars is just a pseudo-medieval, space opera.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 14, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Flopsy posted:

I literally just drooled a little at what you're insinuating. I love it that much. Also hoping we get to play certain segments of the game as other characters. Like Barret in his home town etc.

I'm fully expecting side chapters where you play as characters still in Midgar to advance the Shinra story. Also, they'd better confirm that Wedge (aka best Avalanche member) is still chilling with his cats and not dead from a long drop from the Shinra building.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Early in the game, you create a distraction so Jessie can steal stuff. When you get to the place, you see someone already dealt with the guards. Is it ever explained who did that?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MoaM posted:

I'm saying that FF7:RE is toying with fate / the original story being changed in a Kingdom Hearts-like, (lower-case) hollow fashion. What are you trying to say?
don't answer

this is a good way to engage with people but you know you can just tell people you didn't get it instead of moving goal posts and being snarky which I know is the goon way but have some character growth for once

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ledenko posted:

Early in the game, you create a distraction so Jessie can steal stuff. When you get to the place, you see someone already dealt with the guards. Is it ever explained who did that?

presumably the squad of Avalanche dudes who show up 10 minutes later to rob the place

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Asema posted:

this is a good way to engage with people but you know you can just tell people you didn't get it instead of moving goal posts and being snarky which I know is the goon way but have some character growth for once

You're clearly really confused; why do you think I misunderstood the ending?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah just like those famously bad FFXIV Dark Knight quests

People sure hate those Nier games.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MoaM posted:

You're clearly really confused; why do you think I misunderstood the ending?

because the entire point of the ending was that the whispers were gone and they were unbound by fate so asking how many of them you need to murder to get even a joke doesn't gel with it?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Ahh, so you think they're not coming back. OK, cool.

I think they're coming back.

:colbert:

Lighten up dude, jeez.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In Final Fantasy VII Remake 3.33, Cloud wakes up after being told to blow up the world to find that everyone on his team is now an rear end in a top hat that hates him and the only person who cares about him as a person is Genesis, who then gets blown up.

Final Fantasy VII Remake 4.0 never comes out.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Zack living is in a different universe right? The dog logo is different in the Zack lives universe. It wasn't just a flashback right?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

I agree that the way Sephiroth was handled in the original was fantastic, but I think there's sort of a meta aspect to the remake where like... Sephiroth isn't a mystery anymore, at least not to anyone who'd realistically be playing the remake. Even if you didn't play the original FFVII, you know who Sephiroth is and probably a few things about what his deal is. Even my girlfriend, who has never played a Final Fantasy game and doesn't know anything about FFVII's plot, knows who Sephiroth is just by virtue of having been friends with nerds and using the internet.

I think they lay the Sephiroth stuff on way too thick at the very beginning of the remake (specifically Chapter 2), but I like how he's handled after that. People know who Sephiroth is and basically what he's about. Might as well lean into that, play with it, and make him this creepy specter haunting Cloud the whole way.

As for the promise of larger plot changes, I admit I still feel a little disappointment that we're not going to get to see the original story play out with ridiculous production values, but I think this part of the remake was tailor-made to show us that the team absolutely gets FFVII and its characters and world. Everything is extremely faithful to who these characters are, the new stuff included, and to the original setting. It also shows us that this team knows what we want, they know that there are some key, important scenes that we all want to see play out, and on a purely meta level I am absolutely sure we'll see those scenes, even if we take some unexpected turns to get there, and even if they end differently.

I mean, I understand why they made Sephiroth more prevalent in this game - notably in OG 7 he literally is a non-factor in the plot basically until after resuing Aerith. By the time the gang gets to the president's office, his body's already been impaled and the body is rapidly cooling but nobody actually had eyes on Sephiroth yet. I think they maybe overshot and went too far in the other direction in this case though. At the end of Midgar in OG 7, Cloud is basically the only one with any real conviction about what to do next about Sephiroth and he has to convince everyone at Kalm why Seph being around is such a big deal. That kind of wouldn't fly in the portion of the game set exclusively in Midgar. They had to add some sort of fight at the end otherwise there would be a contingent of people rioting that the antagonist is barely in the remake of his game. I think before that point, he really shouldn't have had a speaking role before Hojo's lab, just shots of him being creepy before disappearing.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Rabid Snake posted:

Zack living is in a different universe right? The dog logo is different in the Zack lives universe. It wasn't just a flashback right?

Something like that, yes.

Though the Whispers could be floating around all the Midgarz all the everywherez throughout all timez or something equally obtuse and crazy.

Who knows!

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

DeathSandwich posted:

They had to add some sort of fight at the end otherwise there would be a contingent of people rioting that the antagonist is barely in the remake of his game. I think before that point, he really shouldn't have had a speaking role before Hojo's lab, just shots of him being creepy before disappearing.

This is exactly what I've felt since the Brain Zaps post-Reactor 1 when I started playing.

One of the best things about FF7 is how Cloud recounts Sephiroth's turn to madness...and how it's revealed that both the party and Sephie hate Shinra. I guess that characterization can still show up in part two, it just feels a little dampened now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Was it ever explained who it was that killed the guards when you go to steal the bomb materials? Doesn't seem like something Roche would do, and the Avalanche guys come there later so it couldn't have been them.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I hope we can recruit Roche as a party member/love interest. I'm literally giddy with all possible choices now at our finger tips I have to say.

Fun fact: Roche's voice actor Austin Lee Matthews is pansexual and has admitted he has a crush on Cloud and it kinda comes out in his lines.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ymgve posted:

Was it ever explained who it was that killed the guards when you go to steal the bomb materials? Doesn't seem like something Roche would do, and the Avalanche guys come there later so it couldn't have been them.

It was Sephiroth

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zack will summon Stamp to take out the Meteor. Book it

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I feel like people are giving Nomura and co. a bit too much credit with looking at serious themes and cause and effect. There's less of a plan here than in a JJ Abrams Star Wars.

People like the pink anime girl. They'll like it if she could live this time!
People liked the black haired sword anime guy. They'll like it if he's alive now!

All it takes is to look at Another Side Another Story, Nomura deciding FFXIII Versus should be a musical on a whim after years of development, or the fact Kadaj existed in a fully rendered public trailer before they'd figured out so much as a name for him (they specifically left his motivations last!).

Nomura's working history as a lead has been to start from whatever he thinks looks or sounds cool at the time, and work backwards from that. With a good team, that works. With these guys...You end up with the plot of the Kingdom Hearts series.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

VagueRant posted:

I feel like people are giving Nomura and co. a bit too much credit with looking at serious themes and cause and effect. There's less of a plan here than in a JJ Abrams Star Wars.

People like the pink anime girl. They'll like it if she could live this time!
People liked the black haired sword anime guy. They'll like it if he's alive now!

All it takes is to look at Another Side Another Story, Nomura deciding FFXIII Versus should be a musical on a whim after years of development, or the fact Kadaj existed in a fully rendered public trailer before they'd figured out so much as a name for him (they specifically left his motivations last!).

Nomura's working history as a lead has been to start from whatever he thinks looks or sounds cool at the time, and work backwards from that. With a good team, that works. With these guys...You end up with the plot of the Kingdom Hearts series.

Next you'll tell me Zach Snyder is a hack and Batman vs Superman isn't actually a good movie!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Stamp on a t-shirt with the caption

Listen here, bud

Sector 7

Deserved the plate crash

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

VagueRant posted:

:stare:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It was Sephiroth

Are you assuming, or did we see this somewhere and I missed it? (What was he doing there, in any case?)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ymgve posted:

Are you assuming, or did we see this somewhere and I missed it? (What was he doing there, in any case?)
Probably killing some dudes to either fulfill his big goal or gently caress with Cloud, or both!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvfPd-wCwPw

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ymgve posted:

Idk but it was probably Sephiroth

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People bring up the whole "Nomura wanted Versus XIII to be a musical" thing as if that isn't actually incredibly badass but unfortunately I don't think it's true at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

ymgve posted:

Organising fate to his whiiiiiims~~~

It's very likely a plot hole that you've caught on to. Unless there's a Reeves / Cait Sith reveal in the cards.